OCI - New York Tracker

fees updated in US $ 175
Do we have to send a new $175 per application to get our OCI. This is turning out to be quite a rip-off.

Also, now that the counter has been discontinued and we have to get the visa by mail only. Are we supposed to send in the $20 for mail back per application. Is it 80 for a family of 4 or 20?

Do we have to send a new $175 per application to get our OCI. This is turning out to be quite a rip-off.

Also, now that the counter has been discontinued and we have to get the visa by mail only. Are we supposed to send in the $20 for mail back per application. Is it 80 for a family of 4 or 20?

They ask you to send $175 if you get US citizenship and you were Indian Citizen. If your child was born in US had PIO or gets OCI child doesn’t need to pay 175 as the child was not Indian citizen.
$ 20 mailing fees was for the Family of 4. If you are two Peron or Single person or 4 people the Fee was only $20 to send the passports back. (I don’t know the latest mess up created by them) You should get clear info from them.

They have NOT cleared that those who filed OCI and OCI approved and OCI reached CgiNY they need to send $20 +$175 with Form Or some other future fees and forms also.
If OCI received at NYC then Check Before you send your US passports for ICI and get the information what they are asking.

They have created a mess. Just 2 weeks back I picked up the OCI @ the NY consulate. I did not see that much rush for the window service for OCI pickup. Even with a surge of approval, which is bound to be temporary, they should have allowed the window service as it defnitely helps the tri-state residents.

What about those who got the OCI (recently) and have the CANCELLED stamped on Indian Passport? Should we still get that Surrender Certificate?

My application was received by NY CGI on 04/08/2010 and was not acknowledged. I called yesterday and spoke with Mr. Bajaj. He mentioned that i should check the new rules about renunciation on the website and do that first before they can process my OCI application.

After I hungup I realized the information on website is not complete to fill the form. Again I have to call and hope the phone will be answered.

For Form XXII who nneds to fill teh signature part, i am assuming Notary Public, in Particulars can my parents who are indian citizens can they sign.

Few Questions (what a mess)

For Form XXII

"Signature and designation of the officer authorized under rule 38 of the citizenship Rules, 2009, before whom the registration, declaration or oath of allegiance is made or taken."

I was sworn in on April first. Where do I find the judge/ USCIS rep that was present there that day? And even if I somehow find them why would they sign? What is everybody doing for this?

#2 , I, the undersigned, hereby state that I am an Indian citizen otherwise than by naturalization that I am householder, and that I am not the solicitor or agent of …………………………………… I vouch for the correctness of the statements made by ………………………………………… in his application for …………………………………

Who exactly needs to sign here?

Please post what you guys are doing or what the CGI-NY is saying about this.

Apparently SF consulate has some more bizare requirements for OCI. They now need a color copy of the Greencard along with OCI applictaion. It is suggested to do FOIA application to get it if we did not make a copy. Or send in the copy of Indian passport that was first used to enter USA. This may not be so diffucult to produce I guess.

Guys, I checked with CGI-NY today if the new rule for getting Renunciation Certificate is applicable to the OCI applicants whose applications are already acknowledged by CGI-NY?

Here is their response:
Citizenship Surrender Certificate is mandatory for all OCI applicants, including those whose applications are in the process

So its clear now, new rule applies to those whose applications are already acknowledged by CGI-NY.

Last edited by a moderator:
Visa fees increased for previous Indian citizens

I went to apply for a tourist visa at the New York visa office today. They said that they no longer offer tourist visas for previous Indian citizens. We have to apply for an entry visa which has less restrictions compared to the tourist visa, but the fees are higher. It costs $113 (including the $13 processing fee) compared to $73 earlier for a 6-month visa.

Guys, I was trying to reach CGI-NY over phone and e-mails from yesterday, final got an e-mail response from Mr. Bajaj.

I hope he would not mind me sharing it here since it is helpful for everybody. I asked him if the new rules for getting Renunciation Certificate are applicable to me since my application was already acknowledged by CGI-NY. Here is his response (Thank you for your response Mr. Bajaj)

So its clear now, new rule applies to those whose applications are already acknowledged by CGI-NY.

Thank you. What is the penalty charges. website doesn't indicate the penalty charges. How do one calculate penalty charges. Over the periods of three month how much penalty will be there.
Still not clear the form XXII from whom will get signature and who will sign the form.

If anybody will get the information regarding this , please update this forum.
Thank you once again.

Tracking return of US passport for U visa stamping (and OCI card)

I was initially planning to go to the consulate sometime soon but found out that the service is no longer available. Also heard about the requirements of surrendering the Indian passport for USD 175. Wasn't totally surprised since I had heard about it from my cousin in the UK who had applied for OCI at the High Commission in London in Aug 2009.

Anyway, I sent in my passport today with USD 20 and the printout of the page that talks about the procedure to collect the OCI card once it has been issued (I have not mentioned anything regarding the surrender scheme, forms or fees). The same link was in the reply mail I had received from Mrs. Pushpa Kumar when I had intially inquired about the non-receipt of the OCI at CGNY after 10 days of issue at Delhi. I sent her another mail today informing her that I've mailed my passport already and that they had issued no instructions using which applicants could put an indication on the envelope that it wasn't an initial OCI app, just the passports for stamping etc. Hopefully, they open all packages when they receive them. I'm not expecting the passports to be returned within 3 business days! Let's see how fast/slow their turnaround time is...

Here's my timeline:

OCI dispatched - 29 Mar 10
Received at CGNY - 13 Apr 10
[Travelled out of the US]
Mailed Indian and US passport - 11 May 10 (Express mail)

Last edited by a moderator:
Tracking return of US passport for U visa stamping (and OCI card) Anyway, I sent in my passport today with USD 20...

Well looks like I have company. Waiting_0102, I did the same, my doc were received at NY CGI on 05/07 so I mailed my passports on 05/07/2010 with a fee of $20 for mailing charges.

I am sure there will be an effective date for every rule. And CGI would post the rule/notify at least 2 weeks before the effective date.

On 7 May Delhi has Printed OCI Cards for Indian consulate NYC upto File(Acknowledgment) No: USAN00918710

Ginnu, do you know how they are doing for SFO?
My Case is not yet acknowledged yet... mailed on 04/20.. Received on 04/21

Help

I hope good people like Mr. Rajeev Khanna (if he is watching this discussion/topic) come for help. I agree there should be affective date for the new rule. And the fees...CGI is charging the fees as if it is raining $$$.

This really sucks. They should not impose this rule on already approved OCI applications and I hope that is the case. An ack applicant can parallelly get this (exalted) surrender certificate and the much sought after Cancelled stamp paying $175 without losing any more time. Brilliant MHA move! Only please make it uniform across all consulates and at the same time.

Well looks like I have company. Waiting_0102, I did the same, my doc were received at NY CGI on 05/07 so I mailed my passports on 05/07/2010 with a fee of $20 for mailing charges.

I am sure there will be an effective date for every rule. And CGI would post the rule/notify at least 2 weeks before the effective date.

Count me in as well - Mine reached them on 5/6 of course I didn't realize that they going to change it

My application was received by NY CGI on 04/08/2010 and was not acknowledged. I called yesterday and spoke with Mr. Bajaj. He mentioned that i should check the new rules about renunciation on the website and do that first before they can process my OCI application.

After I hungup I realized the information on website is not complete to fill the form. Again I have to call and hope the phone will be answered.

Does he need to mean that you must send $175 and fill up the form and get surrender certificate and then only they will acknowledge OCI or Scan the photo/signature?
Did you ask that the form is not clear who need to sign? Read the Form and try to fill up and you will have questions to be asked.
Call again and if you get any information post for the others so they know what to do.

All should try calling those who got ICO received by NYC or send applications that are pending so that you know what to send and when to send.

Guys, It seems Indian Govt published the guidelines for Renunciation of Indian Citizenship back in Jan 2009. This form XXII was published two years ago, we are looking at cut/paste of text and a form that came from 76 page document, we are looking at bits and pieces so it doesn’t make sense.

You can read the complete document here: http://www.mha.nic.in/pdfs/Citi_Rule-2009.pdf

I didn't get a chance to read all of it, but it seems
PART V
RENUNCIATION AND DEPRIVATION OF CITIZENSHIP OF INDIA
23. Declaration of renunciation of citizenship
talks about the rules published by CGI-NY

Here is the sample "Surrender Certificate" that we are going to receive from CGI-NY (Form XXIII from the pdf document I posted in my previous post):

FORM XXIII
[See rule 23(2)]
The Citizenship Rules, 2009
ACKNOWLEDGEMENT FOR THE DECLARATION OF RENUNCIATION OF CITIZENSHIP OF INDIA UNDER SECTION 8 OF THE CITIZENSHIP ACT, 1955
Received declaration of renunciation of Indian citizenship under section 8 of the Citizenship Act, 1955 from Miss/Ms./Mr ……………………
……………d/o, w/o, s/o……………………………………………………… resident of………………………………… along with his/her Indian Passport No…………………………with date of issue………………………………..
Date………………. Signature with seal of the receiving officer