OCI - New York Tracker

This is a real mess, renunciation declaration form (Form XXII) says the authority signing the form must comply with rule # 38 (a Judge of an Indian court, or a Consul), and the only authorized person accessible to us as per rule # 38 is Consular General at Indian Consulate.

So does it mean we all need to stand in the line at CGI-NY to get Surrender Certificate?

If Consul is the only person who can sign our Renunciation Declaration form here in US, why did they stop delivering OCI cards at their window, we could have signed Form XXII at their window if they allowed us to collect OCI in person.

Actually getting the forms signed by an authority complying with rule # 38 was for people acquiring Indian Citizenship, it makes sense to show up at a judge or consul when one newly acquires Indian Citizenship, but why are they using same rule for people renunciating citizenship? Doesn’t sound right at all

Timing Question.

Does the surrender certificate need to be obtained before we send out the US passports for OCI stamps or the form XXII and the $175.00 fee can be sent along with it and they send us both the certificate and OCI stamped US passport back together?

Yes, Mr. Bajaj said I have to first get the surrender certificate before they process my OCI. I asked him if i have to resend my OCI app, he said not required. When I was talking to him I did not know about the ambiguity of the form and came to know about it after the fact.

Any questions I tried to ask he kept on saying check the website, I was under the impression they had clear information on the website. But later on found the information was incomplete. I am frustrated.

I read that Indian Consul at London made it mandatory for all OCI applicants to obtain Surrender Certificate before applying for OCI; so I thought its a good idea to check their web site.

Here is the link: http://hcilondon.in/renunciation.php

Some interesting stuff on penalties ...

2. The Indian Citizenship Act, 1955, does not allow dual citizenship. Holding Indian passport/acquiring Indian passport/travelling on Indian passport after acquisition of foreign citizenship constitutes an offence under the Indian Passport Act, 1967, and attracts penalties. The Government of India has prescribed imposition of penalty on a graded scale, depending on number of trips made on Indian passport after acquiring foreign nationality, for the violation of Passport Rules and retention of Indian Passport for more than 3 years after acquiring of foreign nationality.

CGI-NY did mention about penalties for not getting Indian passport cancelled in time. So those who are applying for Surrender Certificate more than 3 years after becoming naturalized in the US need to pay $175 + Penalties (whatever it is).

If anyone gets a clarification from CGI-NY regarding the signatures on form XXII, please update us.

What a timing to increase the fees. Is that why they were rejecting the applications left & right, few months back? $175 is no small fee!

Meanwhile my app is dispatched.

Mailed OCI app on 04/16/10
Got email from NY on 04/20/10
Acknowledged on 04/21/10
Scanned on 04/27/10
Granted on 05/05/10
Printed on 05/07/10 (last week website showed 05/06/10 as print date)
Dispatched on 05/10/10

What a timing to increase the fees. Is that why they were rejecting the applications left & right, few months back? $175 is no small fee!

Meanwhile my app is dispatched.

Mailed OCI app on 04/16/10
Got email from NY on 04/20/10
Acknowledged on 04/21/10
Scanned on 04/27/10
Granted on 05/05/10
Printed on 05/07/10 (last week website showed 05/06/10 as print date)
Dispatched on 05/10/10

They process 200 to 250 applications per day at CGI-NY... thats $35,000 to $40,000 extra per day (just on surrender certificate fee)

Does the surrender certificate need to be obtained before we send out the US passports for OCI stamps
----- It seems now they may need the above when you send US passport to collect OCI , if OCI reached NYC . One may send US passport+ Indian passport+$175+$20+ Form but they have not posted clear cut information.
or the form XXII and the $175.00 fee can be sent along with it and they send us both the certificate and OCI stamped US passport back together?
------ you must get clear info from them and we are making a good guess. if you get any info please post for others.

Yes, Mr. Bajaj said I have to first get the surrender certificate before they process my OCI. I asked him if i have to resend my OCI app, he said not required.
------may be when your OCI arrive at NYC then you have to pay $175 and send the renunciation declaration form with your US passport+Indian passport. That is guess but they need to clear the information and website does not have full information or FAQ. Why dont they post SAMPLE renunciation declaration form?
When I was talking to him I did not know about the ambiguity of the form and came to know about it after the fact.
-----Now note doen all the points when you call them and ask the questions (if they have answer) I think it will take this week to clear the Mess or they post the FAQ and S
ample renunciation declaration form.
Any questions I tried to ask he kept on saying check the website, I was under the impression they had clear information on the website. But later on found the information was incomplete.
I am frustrated
--------------All who are going to apply OCI with NYC and those who got OCI printed from Delhi and sent to NYC are confused and frustrated. Nobody at this time who visits this site have clear information. Think about a person who does not visit this site and does not visit Consulate site he/ she will be having no info what is going with NYC.

----------------

Checked OCI status online with recent file numbers.

The latest file number I could find with status "Granted" was on 06-May2010,
I could not find any file number with status Granted on or after 07-May-2010

New rule was announced on 07-May-2010, looks like they are really serious about the new rule, nobody will be granted OCI unless they have Surrender Certificate on file.

I don't want to give someone's file number here, but lets say USAN00MMMM10 is the latest file number with status Granted (obviously on 06-May-2010), and the most recently generated file number is USAN0NNNNN10, there are 1500+ file numbers between USAN00MMMM10 and USAN0NNNNN10. And there could be lot of cases before USAN00MMMM10 which are waiting to be Granted ... you get the picture

I think it's fair to assume anybody who is not Granted as of 07-May-2010 must go through the new process, thats our cut off date. See, they are trying to be fair to everybody, at least under this consul jurisdiction :)

Sorry for posting too much ... you know this immigration stuff never ceased to make me nervous, for 10 years it was INS/USCIS, now it's our own India :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Checked OCI status online with recent file numbers.

The latest file number I could find with status "Granted" was on 06-May2010,
I could not find any file number with status Granted on or after 07-May-2010

New rule was announced on 07-May-2010, looks like they are really serious about the new rule, nobody will be granted OCI unless they have Surrender Certificate on file.

I don't want to give someone's file number here, but lets say USAN00MMMM10 is the latest file number with status Granted (obviously on 06-May-2010), and the most recently generated file number is USAN0NNNNN10, there are 1500+ file numbers between USAN00MMMM10 and USAN0NNNNN10. And there could be lot of cases before USAN00MMMM10 which are waiting to be Granted ... you get the picture

I think it's fair to assume anybody who is not Granted as of 07-May-2010 must go through the new process, thats our cut off date. See, they are trying to be fair to everybody, at least under this consul jurisdiction :)

Sorry for posting too much ... you know this immigration stuff never ceased to make me nervous, for 10 years it was INS/USCIS, now it's our own India :)

They are Printing on 10 they Printed USAN00969510
Dispatched on 10

They are Printing on 10 they Printed USAN00969510
Dispatched on 10

Thanks ginnu, USAN00969510 was file number USAN00MMMM10 in my post :)

It was granted on 06-May-2010

I think these are the steps in OCI Process - atleast for CGI-NY

1. Acknowledge - Done in NYC
  2. Photo/Signature Scan - Done in NYC
  3. Granted - Done in NYC (some consular officer must be approving the application, or clicking a button to approve)
  4. Print - Done in Delhi, only after Grant/Approve was done in NYC
  5. Mailed - Obviously from Delhi

They are still printing/mailing in Delhi for applications approved in NYC on or before 06-May-2010

I could not find any case Granted on or after 07-May-2010

dispatched

Thanks ginnu, USAN00969510 was file number USAN00MMMM10 in my post :)

It was granted on 06-May-2010

I think these are the steps in OCI Process - atleast for CGI-NY

1. Acknowledge - Done in NYC
  2. Photo/Signature Scan - Done in NYC
  3. Granted - Done in NYC (some consular officer must be approving the application, or clicking a button to approve)
  4. Print - Done in Delhi, only after Grant/Approve was done in NYC
  5. Mailed - Obviously from Delhi

They are still printing/mailing in Delhi for applications approved in NYC on or before 06-May-2010

I could not find any case Granted on or after 07-May-2010

granted may 6
dispatched may 10
wondering if the people who were granted OCI on may 6 needs to pay 175

I think if OCI is Granted on 4 or 6 or Printed still you need to pay $175. Those who are going to send OCI applications have to fill up the form Pay the OCI fees and also pay the $175 and send the Indian passport to them.

...Those who are going to send OCI applications have to fill up the form Pay the OCI fees and also pay the $175 and send the Indian passport to them.

I am wondering about people who got naturalized and not opting for OCI. May be just take PIO or Visitors or entry visa?

---
For Form XXII who nneds to fill teh signature part, i am assuming Notary Public
---------------- if you file the form in India then Notary Public in India and who is Indian Citizen by Birth can Sign but in US you need Signature of India Citizen (who are Green Card holder or with Indian passports and by Birth are Indian)
, in Particulars can my parents who are indian citizens can they sign.
------------------Yes they can Sign.
---------------