OCI - New York Tracker

Thanks Ginnu.
I sent emails to all the three people
you had listed on List 45 in this Forum. Since I am in Midwest, I cannot go down to NY. I tried to send additional address verification documents through my friend who visited NY last week, but they wouldn't take it. For now I have just sent Bank statement for me and one bank statement with my wife's name. I hope it is good enough.

I will wait for a few more weeks and give it a try. I was trying to go to India during June first week. Not sure if I can get my OCI all cleared before that. I will definitely post any updates that I might have in future.
--How you can apply with NYC if your home address is not under NYC consulate jurisdiction? If your home address is under New York jurisdiction then you were supposed to send copy of your driving license, Utility bill, Bank statement with your OCI application. Do you mean you did not sent PROOF OF USA RESIDENCY?
Many who did not sent copy of DL or utility bill they sent the full applications back and most of applications were sent back in February/March to the address one provided on the application. They will not take documents from your friend at window. I am unable to guess what is causing the delay. You should send Fax and also mail the copy of DL, Utility bill to OCI Cell and out side write Copy of Utility bill. Driving license to be attached with OCI file number XXXXXX. Write cover letter also with full details.

Let us know the update.
Good Luck!!

Indian Consulate of New York has posted that one need to surrender Indian passport after getting US citizenship. One needs to fill up form and pay the 7000 Indian Rupees fees and they will cancel the Indian passport.
Questions one need to ask from Consulate:
1, what about those who got OCI 1 year or 2 year back and they got passport “cancelled stamp” on India passport do they again need to fill up the form for SURRUNDER OF INDIAN CITIZENSHIP and Pay the Rupees 7000 FEES.

2. According to FEMA if one departs India one can take only 5000 Indian Rupees. How the person will get Indian Rupees 7000 in US?.

3 Many in past got Visa and got Indian Passport cancelled and at the time of getting Visa they fill up form to surrender of Indian Citizenship. Do they again have to pay the Fee of Indian Rupees 7000?

4 Many have to collect the OCI through mail (They changed it that OCI can only be colleted through mail) as OCI Cards have reached NYC. They did not say that one should send and Fill up the Form to surrender Indian citizenship when they send US passport and Indian passport for sending OCI documents and pay the extra fees of Indian rupees 7000. They should be clear. If one can pay the OCI fees in USD then why they did not wrote that one should pay the fees in USD.
5. What about a person who got OCI and is living in India. His/her passport was cancelled when got OCI. Does he check the Indian consulate website? Does he need to Fill up the Form and pay Indian Rupees 7000

**Where the Minitry of Home affair does says that one need to fill up the Form to renounce Indian Citizenship and Pay Indian Rupees 7000? Where is GR from Ministry? According to Indian constitution or Indian Citizenship Act 1955 if one gets Citizenship of other country then that person is no more Indian Citizen. They day Person in US became naturalized and took oath and he automatically abandoned the Indian Citizenship
They have posted the information in hurry without clearing many issues.
Please make it clear BEFORE you send your US passport and Indian Passport for collection of OCI documents for the above points. if you send US and Indian Passport and later they ask for the form to be submitted then they may send back your passports and it will take 2-4 weeks just to know that you were supposed to Send Extra money to them and to Fill up form and you will not have US passport/Indian passport with you.

Write emails/send Fax to them so that they post the clear information.
Good Luck!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the update ginnu.

We should know answers to your questions very soon; but based on the newsflash from CGI-NY, here is my guess

1, what about those who got OCI 1 year or 2 year back and they got passport “cancelled stamp” on India passport do they again need to fill up the form for SURRUNDER OF INDIAN CITIZENSHIP and Pay the Rupees 7000 FEES.
It seems CGI-NY/MHA/Indian Govt wants to separate Citizenship Renunciation process from OCI application process. This means CGI-NY/MHA/Indian Govt wants to milk $200 from everybody who becomes naturalized citizen here, no matter they may or may not apply for OCI, POI, or Visa in the future

3 Many in past got Visa and got Indian Passport cancelled and at the time of getting Visa they fill up form to surrender of Indian Citizenship. Do they again have to pay the Fee of Indian Rupees 7000?
This text The applicants may kindly send Form XXII, along with their Indian passport and fees of Rs.7000 by mail to the Consulate General of India, New York. It will be processed and due “Surrender Certificate” will be issued. This will facilitate processing of their OCI/PIO cards. from the bulletin would suggest, they want to make this "Renunciation Certificate" a prerequisite for OCI application. I don't think they would ask existing OCI holders to obtain this certificate.

4 Many have to collect the OCI through mail (They changed it that OCI can only be colleted through mail) as OCI Cards have reached NYC. They did not say that one should send and Fill up the Form to surrender Indian citizenship when they send US passport and Indian passport for sending OCI documents and pay the extra fees of Indian rupees 7000. They should be clear. If one can pay the OCI fees in USD then why they did not wrote that one should pay the fees in USD.
I would think the OCI apps already delivered to CGI-NY before the publication of news bulletin (on 5/7) should be OK

But again just my guess. I am going to call them on Monday

I would think the OCI apps already delivered to CGI-NY before the publication of news bulletin (on 5/7) should be OK

I applied OCI to CGI-NY on 05/08/2010. I don't know what to do now.
Expecting your response posted here after you call to CGI-NY on Monday.

Thanks

Many things are to be cleared by Indian consulate New York regarding announcement made on website. Wait few days and they need to clear the information. I have sent email to Mr Prabu Dayal and I don’t expect reply as they all have to discuss the matter that in include Ambassador Prabhu Dayal,Deputy Consul General Dr. A.M. Gondane,Consul (OCI) & Head of Chancery Mr.P.K. Bajaj,Consul (Visa & PIO)Mr. N.K. Sarawat,Vice Consul (Administration),Mr. Debashish Biswas and Vice Consul (OCI)Mrs. Pushpa Kumar
and other Consulate officials. I have also sent the information to Editor Times of India and India express. All should contact Editors of Times of India, Indian express, Hindustan Times and all the newspapers in India so that journalists find the information from Ministry of Home affair officials Delhi. Indian consulate NYC has not posted any information regarding any GR or Notification from Ministry of Home affairs that asks to pay Indian Rupees 7000 to Renounce the Indian citizenship. One can file RTI and can get the information from Ministry of Home Affairs.

In the past Shri Amit Sikka Filed RTI for the Definition of what is the clear cut meaning of the phrase “PARITY WITH NONRESIDENT INDIANS” and here is Reply:

http://cic.gov.in/CIC-Orders/WB-13032009-01.pdf
http://hcipos.org/cms/images/stories/PDF/difficulties%20faced%20by%20oci_holders.pdf
Similar RTI need to be filed what the NYC consulate is asking on website. According to Indian constitution if one gets Citizenship of other country then the person is no more Indian citizen. Citizenship Act 1955 does not say that one need to fill up Form to renounce Indian Citizenship and need to pay Indian Rupees 7000. When OCI rule was published it does not say anything that one need to Fill up the Form to Renounce Indian Citizenship to get OCI or PIO card and pay Indian rupees 7000.
Read link:
http://www.mha.nic.in/pdfs/intro.pdf
One can read the information on Ministry of Home affairs site and they have not posted any information. Ministry of External affairs has also not posted any information. Don’t depend on others all must take the action.

Thanks Ginnu for your email. Ohio falls under NY jurisdiction. I had just sent copies of mine and my wife's bank account statements. Tomorrow I will be mailing 2 copies of Driving License, Utility Bill. I also have cover letter ready as you suggested. I will mail them first thing tomorrow morning. I am planning to go to India during first week of June but so far, it doesn't look good. I will update once I know of any updates.

Many things are to be cleared by Indian consulate New York regarding announcement made on website. Wait few days and they need to clear the information. I have sent email to Mr Prabu Dayal and I don’t expect reply as they all have to discuss the matter that in include Ambassador Prabhu Dayal,Deputy Consul General Dr. A.M. Gondane,Consul (OCI) & Head of Chancery Mr.P.K. Bajaj,Consul (Visa & PIO)Mr. N.K. Sarawat,Vice Consul (Administration),Mr. Debashish Biswas and Vice Consul (OCI)Mrs. Pushpa Kumar
and other Consulate officials. I have also sent the information to Editor Times of India and India express. All should contact Editors of Times of India, Indian express, Hindustan Times and all the newspapers in India so that journalists find the information from Ministry of Home affair officials Delhi. Indian consulate NYC has not posted any information regarding any GR or Notification from Ministry of Home affairs that asks to pay Indian Rupees 7000 to Renounce the Indian citizenship. One can file RTI and can get the information from Ministry of Home Affairs.

In the past Shri Amit Sikka Filed RTI for the Definition of what is the clear cut meaning of the phrase “PARITY WITH NONRESIDENT INDIANS” and here is Reply:

http://cic.gov.in/CIC-Orders/WB-13032009-01.pdf
http://hcipos.org/cms/images/stories/PDF/difficulties%20faced%20by%20oci_holders.pdf
Similar RTI need to be filed what the NYC consulate is asking on website. According to Indian constitution if one gets Citizenship of other country then the person is no more Indian citizen. Citizenship Act 1955 does not say that one need to fill up Form to renounce Indian Citizenship and need to pay Indian Rupees 7000. When OCI rule was published it does not say anything that one need to Fill up the Form to Renounce Indian Citizenship to get OCI or PIO card and pay Indian rupees 7000.
Read link:
http://www.mha.nic.in/pdfs/intro.pdf
One can read the information on Ministry of Home affairs site and they have not posted any information. Ministry of External affairs has also not posted any information. Don’t depend on others all must take the action.

Thanks Ginnu. You did very good job and done a very great service for this forum.
I am reading your comments in this forum frequently. Very good and useful information at right times to take actions.

Please post back after you call.

I have obtained US citizenship on April 1st. I applied for OCI and it shows the following status

Date Of Acknowledgment 27-APR-2010
Application Status
Registration Status Granted On 06-MAY-2010
Photo/Signature Scanned On 01-MAY-2010
Documents Printing Status PRINTED
Documents Printed On 07-MAY-2010
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on NOT DISPATCHED
Documents Received at NEW YORK CGI NOT YET

I have not canceled the Indian passport yet. I was planning to send it when I send it for U visa sticker on the US passport. Can I still do the same? Do I just include Rs.7000 fee along with the Indian and US passport? Or do I send the form and the Rs. 7000 fee now along with the passport for cancellation?

Also the form indiacgny dot org/UserFiles/File/FORM%20XXII.doc is very ambiguous. Are they saying that an Indian citizen (by birth) need to sign/attest the document? Can a friend who is an Indian citizen do it?

Please help.

No more OCI Pickups at NY consulate.
Today Monday May 10th, 2010 I waited in line for about 45 minutes outside NY Consulate on a windy day, but the security guy did not let me go inside. Big Bummer.
He said no OCI work in person, it should be done by mail. Consulate has issued an order.

Biggest irony is I had personally visited the consulate inquiry counter last week, and they told me just bring your american Passport and print out from the OCI status website. and so I vist them again today Monday and security guard tells me rule was changed since Friday, no more OCI work in person at consulate. No Drop offs, No Pick ups.

I have not verified this information with anyone, why this change occurred, I will write note to Mrs. Pushpa Kumar and post my findings.
Good Luck,
Nainesh

Thanks Ginnu for your email. Ohio falls under NY jurisdiction. I had just sent copies of mine and my wife's bank account statements. Tomorrow I will be mailing 2 copies of Driving License, Utility Bill. I also have cover letter ready as you suggested. I will mail them first thing tomorrow morning. I am planning to go to India during first week of June but so far, it doesn't look good. I will update once I know of any updates.

New OCI rules

Did anyone hear from officials at CGI-NY about sending passports for U VISA Stickers?
My OCI document were received by CGI-NY on 05/07/2010 so on that day I mailed (express) my US passport and Indian Passport(for cancellation). I have emailed Mrs. Pushpa Kumar & waiting for the reply.
If anyone gets any update from CGI NY please post it on the forums for the benefits of all the users.
thanks!

In counsulate general of India - Newyork website only shows
" newRenunciation of Indian citizenship and surrender certificate for OCI/PIO cards
newInformation regarding OCI Card status "
No other counsulate shows the above information on web sites.

Did anyone hear from officials at CGI-NY about sending passports for U VISA Stickers?
My OCI document were received by CGI-NY on 05/07/2010 so on that day I mailed (express) my US passport and Indian Passport(for cancellation). I have emailed Mrs. Pushpa Kumar & waiting for the reply.
If anyone gets any update from CGI NY please post it on the forums for the benefits of all the users.
thanks!
When were yours dispatched from India?

Signature and designation of the officer authorized under rule 38 of the citizenship Rules, 2009

Signature and designation of the officer authorized under rule 38 of the citizenship Rules, 2009

what does this mean? any Indian Citizen? or who is authorized to do so

Who will signed (which USCIS officer will signed ) in XXII form.
After oath ceremony of naturalization in USA nobody will signed any form.
Only self attested. A typical Indian confusion policy in New york Consulate.
May God Bless CGI-NY.

:confused::confused:
Based on the naturalization certificate , a Notary wills signed. I think so.

confusion is , hereby state that I am an Indian citizen otherwise than by naturalization that I am householder, and that I am not the solicitor or agent of ……………………………………

who is supposed to Notarize? american or an Indian Guy

I didn't get reply from the Embassy guys yet?

:confused::confused:

confusion is , hereby state that I am an Indian citizen otherwise than by naturalization that I am householder, and that I am not the solicitor or agent of ……………………………………

who is supposed to Notarize? american or an Indian Guy

I didn't get reply from the Embassy guys yet?

Any guy in this world other than CGI-NY person