OCI - New York Tracker

I presume this is needed if the passport you have the stamp on is expired.

Do you need to do this if you dont mind carrying the expired passport along with the current passport. Is it optional?

Family Applications - Printed and Granted

Hi Friends,

My family applications were printed and granted.

:):cool:

sent OCI Application by Express Mail USPS : 8th April 2010
received by CGI, NY : 9th April 2010
Acknowledgment (received email from CGI,NY) : 22nd April 2010
Acknowledgment (File No Assigned) : 28nd April 2010
Photo/Signature Scanned : 01-MAY-2010
Registration Status Granted : 06-MAY-2010
Documents Printing Status : PRINTED
Documents Printed : 06-MAY-2010

Sent an email to Mr.Bajaj in the morning and called him in the afternoon. He picked up the phone and confirmed receipt of the email. He said he will check on it and reply to my email by end of the day. He also told me to call him if I don't receive an email by tomorrow morning. He was very kind and courteous.

Did you got any reply to your Email from Mr Bajaj? any update for the 2 adults who were previously Indian Citizens? did they Scan the Photo/Signature? Have they GRANTED for the 2 Adults?

Granted and printed!!

App Sent: Mar 27th
Ack: Apr 28th
Scanned: Apr 30th
Granted: May 6th
Printed: May 6th

Have an upcoming trip to India on 16th. Not sure if this will be done before that time. Keeping fingers crossed!!

Have an upcoming trip to India on 16th. Not sure if this will be done before that time. Keeping fingers crossed!!

BTW, this is for the entire family. All 4 applications were granted and printed.

See FAQ about OCI miscellaneous service at the following link http://www.mha.nic.in/pdfs/FAQs-200709.pdf.

See question 16 from the document I have copied below. I just had OCI U-Visa and booklet reissued as my kid under 20 year's passport expired as per this FAQ. If you are between the age of 20 to 50 and your passport expired and renewed, then you don't need OCI renewed. You can just carry the old passport with you while travelling. But if you want new oci documents you can apply for them. Hope this answers your question.

Whether OCI documents have to be re-issued each time a new
passport is taken?
OCI registration certificate and visa have got to be re-issued each time
a new passport is issued up to the completion of 20 years of age
and
once after completion of 50 years of age.
Re-issuance of OCI registration certificate and visa is not mandatory,
each time a new passport is issued between 21-50 years of age
However, if the applicant wishes to obtain new set of OCI documents,
he/she can apply for the same.

Last edited by a moderator:

Delhi may dispatch your Documents on 7th May and documents reach NYC in 4-5 days but the Indian consulate may not update the status for 10-12 days from the date of arrival. FYI the documents of my friend were Printed on May 27 and dispatched from Delhi on May 29 and he still did not get his OCI status page updated and did not get OCI till date. The reason I see is that somebody from Consulate have to open the boxes sent from Delhi and then have to update the OCI online status page and it is taking time for them.
From date 29 May to May 6 Delhi has printed about 1800 OCI Granted by Indian consulate NYC. NYC had huge backlog of ICI before April. My friend applied Visa 2 days back as He is going to India on May 10. You should apply for Visa so that you can go on 16.

Update... family application for OCI is printed. Should I send MO and passports when the status is dispatched, or when it's received at NY?

Mailed OCI app on 04/16/10
Got email from NY on 04/20/10
Acknowledged on 04/21/10
Scanned on 04/27/10
Granted on 05/05/10
Printed on 05/06/10

Update... family application for OCI is printed. Should I send MO and passports when the status is dispatched, or when it's received at NY?
------ when it's received at NY . It may take 12-15 days when NYC update the OCI status page.
Mailed OCI app on 04/16/10
Got email from NY on 04/20/10
Acknowledged on 04/21/10
Scanned on 04/27/10
Granted on 05/05/10
Printed on 05/06/10
------------------

Received an e-mail from "Deputy Consul General" <dcg@indiacgny.org, sent to more than 100 recipients (must have been sent to a batch of OCI applicants), e-mail had a word document attached to it.

Attached document has this text.

====> NOTICE

OCI documents will be collected and delivered by post only.

Kindly send your documents / passports to the OCI Cell, Consulate General of India, New York as detailed in our website at www.indiacgny.org. <====

Does it mean CGI-NY is changing its policy to deliver OCI booklet and visa stamp through mail only, going forward they don't provide this service in person at their counters?

Anyone else received similar e-mails from CGI-NY?

Thanks for any help and comments

CGI-NY has this newsflash on their web site:

====>
OCI Card applicants are advised that they should check the status of their application at http://ociindia.nic.in/ociindia/OnlineOCIenquiry.jsp.

If the status shows that cards have been received at the Consulate, they should send their US(foreign) passport(s) by Express Mail to the Consulate for affixing lifelong visa. Both the OCI Card and the Passport will be sent to the applicant within 3 days of receipt of passport.

Please enclose a Cashier’s Check/Money Order for US$ 20 in favour of the Consulate General of India, New York for postal delivery of the OCI Card and your passport(s).

May 6, 2010
New York
<====

This article doesn't say anything about not delivering OCI booklets, visa stamp at their counters in New York

What is the point in sending e-mail or newflash if nothing changed?

Or is it just to give out status check link and ask applicats stop calling, e-mailing them?

OCI documents will be collected and delivered by post only -- email message from CGI-NY

FYI...

Yes Guys,

It seems CGI NY changed their policy now for OCI delivery also, as they have now for OCI appliations collection.

They want to deliver it only by mail.

I attached the notice i received from CGI-NY.

__________________________________________________ ________________

sent OCI Application by Express Mail USPS : 8th April 2010
received by CGI, NY : 9th April 2010
Acknowledgment (received email from CGI,NY) : 22nd April 2010
Acknowledgment (File No Assigned) : 28nd April 2010
Photo/Signature Scanned : 01-MAY-2010
Registration Status Granted : 06-MAY-2010
Documents Printing Status : PRINTED
Documents Printed : 07-MAY-2010

Sent an email to Mr.Bajaj in the morning and called him in the afternoon. He picked up the phone and confirmed receipt of the email. He said he will check on it and reply to my email by end of the day. He also told me to call him if I don't receive an email by tomorrow morning. He was very kind and courteous.

Called Mr.Bajaj the following afternoon, but he said that they are still looking into it and that they will send a reply to the email. 3 days later ... :confused:

NYC had backlog for OCI and they have got about 2000 OCI booklets/Cards printed by Delhi for Indian consulate New York. FYI these 2000 Booklets were Printed between April 29 and May 6. Delhi is still printing about 200 OCI booklets/cards and U visa stickers everyday for New York Indian consulate. It seems Indian consulate NYC want to avoid the crowd or long lines at window to collect Cards. They promise to send back the U visa sticker in Passport and OCI Card in 3 days. I don’t think one will get the Passport back in 10 days and we should wait for the experience of getting passport back. They did not mention that one should write “OCI COLLECTION or OCI Card collection or some other info out side the envelope so that they know it is for OCI Card collection and it is not OCI application as they normally don’t open the Mail same day.

On 7 May Delhi has Printed OCI Cards for Indian consulate NYC upto File(Acknowledgment) No: USAN00918710

Hi Ginnu,

Your email threads are really helpful. I keep reading frequently. I need a favor from you.

I sent my applications on April 04, 2010. FedEx says it was received by OCI NY on April 07. But so far no updates. I tried calling, faxing letters, sent numerous emails. You think I should start a fresh application (this is for me and my family with 2 kids). The cashier's check is still not cashed. So I am planning to cancel and start all over. No email acknowledgement, nothing so far.

Any suggestions?

Hi Ginnu,

Your email threads are really helpful. I keep reading frequently. I need a favor from you.

I sent my applications on April 04, 2010. FedEx says it was received by OCI NY on April 07. But so far no updates. I tried calling, faxing letters, sent numerous emails. You think I should start a fresh application (this is for me and my family with 2 kids). The cashier's check is still not cashed. So I am planning to cancel and start all over. No email acknowledgement, nothing so far.

Any suggestions?

Let me know the email ID you sent emails. Did you try Phone to Mrs Puspa Kumar (call 2 to4) also try to call Mr Bajaj. It has happened with many applications in Past. One of my friends sent Family of 4 OCI application on February 24 and was in similar situation. He also checked many time with his Bank about the Check and that was not cashed. He wrote emails faxes and no reply and then on April 7 his online status was acknowledged and Scanned on April 20 and documents printed on April23 and documents reached NYC on May 5.
The trend I have seen is that many who sent application after March 6 were processed earlier. Your application reached April 7 and according to info they have cleared most of application after April and still few are pending. I will suggest you that you again email /fax to Prabhu Dayal, P.K Bajaj and Pushpa Kumar and also send letter to Mr P.K Bajaj. May be your file is under pile of other files and wait few days. They had huge backlog of OCI applications and now they have got around 2000 OCI Cards printed and everyday Delhi is still printing average 200 OCI Cards for New York consulate. Now the problem will be to open the boxes and then to get seal and signature of Consul on OCI Cards then to mail the Cards. I don’t know if you can take appointment with PK Bajaj or Pushpa Kumar If you can then try to visit consulate with copy of your applications. If you get any info please post so that others know the situation.
Good Luck!!

Thanks Ginnu.
I sent emails to all the three people you had listed on List 45 in this Forum. Since I am in Midwest, I cannot go down to NY. I tried to send additional address verification documents through my friend who visited NY last week, but they wouldn't take it. For now I have just sent Bank statement for me and one bank statement with my wife's name. I hope it is good enough.

I will wait for a few more weeks and give it a try. I was trying to go to India during June first week. Not sure if I can get my OCI all cleared before that. I will definitely post any updates that I might have in future.