OCI - New York Tracker

They are requiring a surrender certificate even for visa issuance. I applied for visa yesterday and was planning on picking it up today. But now I am being told that I need to submit surrender certificate!! The worst part is that the folks at the visa center are not sure about the procedure either. I am flying on Sunday!! Don't know what's going to happen.

Where can I download the form XXIII ?

Hi Smodak,

You can go to CGI NY web site [http://www.indiacgny.org]
On the home page, click on "Renunciation of Indian citizenship and surrender certificate for OCI/PIO cards" link. It takes you to "Renunciation of Indian Citizenship and 'Surrender Certificate' for OCI/PIO Cards" details page.
On this page, you can see a link "Form XXII" under "Renunciation of Citizenship of India" paragraph.
Click on this link, it will download the form for you.

About Signatures:

It seems the 1st Signature is for the applicant, to authorize the details provided by him/her (Items 1 to 6 ).
2nd Signature : Consulate Official Signature and Designation, which means this official granted the surrender certificate to the applicant
3rd Signature: Any Indian Citizen (other than applicant) (we need to attach Passport copy of this individual) who declared that all "Particulars" provided about you are correct.

This is my "Best Guess" guys.

May be CGI-NY might come up with some other definitions for these...

Please correct if i am wrong.

Hi Smodak,

You can go to CGI NY web site On the home page, click on "Renunciation of Indian citizenship and surrender certificate for OCI/PIO cards" link. It takes you to "Renunciation of Indian Citizenship and 'Surrender Certificate' for OCI/PIO Cards" details page.
On this page, you can see a link "Form XXII" under "Renunciation of Citizenship of India" paragraph.
Click on this link, it will download the form for you.

Hi rmiriyala, Thanks for your post. I was asking about the real 'surrender certificate' XXIII and not the application form XXII for it. Jan-MMII already directed me to the correct location.

I did this for my wife while I applied her Visa - I hope they do not ask her to renounce again
---- I am sure they will ask her to Pay $175 and get surrender certificate when she file OCI/PIO or Before Collect her OCI

Anybody received any OCI passport stamped after this fiasco?
----
Nobody has posted the information as many are confused if you read the thread then Mr. Bajaj has said that “Renunciation declaration must be done in person at CGI-NY, no mailing business” But they have not updated the website. All are confused and not sending Passports, Form $175 to collect OCI as everyday things are changing one need to have Clear Instructions from NYC
--------------

I am not in NY consulate area ---- but DC -- this $175 mess is there in DC also --

I mailed my passport yesterday to DC consulate for OCI stamping after this mess -- will post it here if someone is interested ---

Guys, finally I was able to talk to Mr. Bajaj today.

Here is what he said.

• There was some confusion about who needs to sign the form XXII, so CGI-NY is going to publish an updated form on their web site today.
---------------Still no update on NYC site.
  • Updated form XXII needs to be signed by two people, one is the applicant, and the other is the officer at CGI-NY counter
----------------- Still no official announcement on NYC site.
  • Renunciation declaration must be done in person at CGI-NY, no mailing business
----- Where is the info on NYC site what he said? as they posted earlier that OCI will be by mail only they should post the info on site so that it becomes official.
  • CGI-NY is looking into other options to find if MHA allows renunciation declaration by mail, but for now it must be done in person. According to the current law acquiring and renunciation of India citizenship must be done in the presence of a judge or a consul.
--------------They have not officially posted that informationon website that person should come to window at CGI NYC for renunciation of India citizenship .
You called up Mr Bajaj and he informed you on phone and you posted what he told you and thanks for sharing the information. But that is not official announcement and you don’t have any evidence of what he said. If you go to NYC then Security Person may not know what Mr Bajaj told you and may ask for any evidence that is on CGNY site or Official email from Mr.Bajaj that please come to Consulate between XXX to YYY time at Window with your Papers AAAAAAAA.
Good Luck for your Visit and we will wait for the update.

This page dobdobdob.indiacgny.org/php/showHighLightDet.php?h_id=136&key= clearly states that
So I am not sure why Mr. Bajaj said that the applicant has to be physically present at CGNY.
----They dont know what they say and what they post on website and that creates more confusion. One should wait for Official announcement on the NYC website(who knows that may also get changed next )
----

Seriously, this mass confusion and chaos is due to the simple reason that the clueless characters who sit in the CGI NY do NOT know how to properly implement and communicate process changes. And then they struggle to deal with the flood of worried and stressed out people who are impacted. A friend of mine called this afternoon and this Mr. Bajaj rudely told her not to ask him any questions about the surrender certificate and instead gave her another number in the consulate. As expected, nobody is picking up on that other number.

The idiocy of this fiasco:

1. A sudden, totally unannounced change that was made on only one part of the website but not uniformly updated across other informational areas.
2. A completely confusing form that clearly does not work for the US applicants.
3. Process instructions that have not been updated.
4. CGI NY staff who themselves do not understand the implications of the changes and have clearly not been prepared to answer questions because they have not walked through scenarios or thought through things clearly and logically. Directing people to the website or other phone numbers does nothing to quell this confusion.

You called up Mr Bajaj and he informed you on phone and you posted what he told you and thanks for sharing the information. But that is not official announcement and you don’t have any evidence of what he said. If you go to NYC then Security Person may not know what Mr Bajaj told you and may ask for any evidence that is on CGNY site or Official email from Mr.Bajaj that please come to Consulate between XXX to YYY time at Window with your Papers AAAAAAAA.
Good Luck for your Visit and we will wait for the update.

I am planning to go to CGI-NY this Friday or Monday, I will update here how it goes.

This is what I am planning to do:
  • take couple of copies (at least two) of filled in form XXII (renunciation declaration)
  • have all copies of the form XXII signed by a friend who still holds an Indian passport
  • take couple of copies of that friend's passport
  • take cash with me to pay $175 at the counter
  • take couple of copies of filled in form XXIII (actual surrender certificate) as well

Maybe I am overdoing it, what can I say ... paranoid :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously, this mass confusion and chaos is due to the simple reason that the clueless characters who sit in the CGI NY do NOT know how to properly implement and communicate process changes. And then they struggle to deal with the flood of worried and stressed out people who are impacted. A friend of mine called this afternoon and this Mr. Bajaj rudely told her not to ask him any questions about the surrender certificate and instead gave her another number in the consulate. As expected, nobody is picking up on that other number.

The idiocy of this fiasco:

1. A sudden, totally unannounced change that was made on only one part of the website but not uniformly updated across other informational areas.
2. A completely confusing form that clearly does not work for the US applicants.
3. Process instructions that have not been updated.
4. CGI NY staff who themselves do not understand the implications of the changes and have clearly not been prepared to answer questions because they have not walked through scenarios or thought through things clearly and logically. Directing people to the website or other phone numbers does nothing to quell this confusion.

Well Said, Imagine people who never uses any kind of forum like some of us do

>>I am planning to go to CGI-NY this Friday or Monday, I will update here how it goes.

I doubt that , Can you Imagine the poor guys is even going to sit and sign all the app - do one thing take an electronic signature from them and distribut it everybody :)

Please keep us posted

Please let us know how it goes ... thank you for trying to find out the details and helping everybody on this forum with this mess!!

Good luck on Friday/Monday ...

I am planning to go to CGI-NY this Friday or Monday, I will update here how it goes.

This is what I am planning to do:
  • take couple of copies (at least two) of filled in form XXII (renunciation declaration)
  • have all copies of the form XXII signed by a friend who still holds an Indian passport
  • take couple of copies of that friend's passport
  • take cash with me to pay $175 at the counter
  • take couple of copies of filled in form XXIII (actual surrender certificate) as well

Maybe I am overdoing it, what can I say ... paranoid :)

Yes, I do pity those who do not have access to online forums (for whatever reasons) because their plight must be even more stressful.

Is that a sarcastic comment :) Really, who obtains GC/USC through all the hoops w/o being part of any online forum, or w/o visiting consulate website? Lucky are those who did not waste their youth dealing with the immigration authorities.

Now SF consulate also has jumped on this surrender certificate bandwagon. Their form seems to be much more clear than the ones from NY consulate's website. It also looks like any visa applicant of Indian origin (not just OCI/PIO) needs to obtain this certificate before getting any service from them. Also unique with SF consulate is that the passport might not be returned to the applicant - just the surrender certificate will be issued. The form clearly has a declaration that " I have retained a copy of my Indian passport and will not ask for the same in future."
See http://www.cgisf.org/renunciation/ricsc.html

Based on what Mr. Bajaj said I was expecting to see only two sigantures on the updated form XXII, but it seems three signatures are there. I would get the third siganture by a friend or a parent who is still holding an Indian passport, and present a copy of their passport at CGI-NY counter. I am planning to go to CGI-NY next week. Not sure if they are going to give Surrender Certificate right there at the counter or ask us to come back in the evening; just to be on the safe side, I will take a print out of filled in form XXIII (aka Surrender Certificate) to the counter and see if they can sign it for me right there

Thank you very much.
I too plan to go to CGI-NYC on Tuesday 18th May 2010.
Expecting your response on 17th Monday evening.

Good Luck