OCI - New York Tracker

Awesome Information. Who do you address the renunciation form (by mail) to and what do you write on the envelope?

Ok guys, here is the latest info:

My friend yesterday who Mr. Bajaj was rude to, ended up sending an email to every single person in the CGI NY and she got a response to call back. She called back this morning and spoke to Mr. Bajaj who was much calmer today and explained that he does not handle the surrender certificate processing and that is handled instead by Anju Kumar and he gave her contact number.

Bajaj also said for those whose OCI stickers have arrived, you need to fill out the renunciation form, send the payment (I think this probably would mean a bank money order, not a personal check) and add a cover letter referencing your OCI application details (including your file acknowledgment number). He said send it by express mail. Regarding the second signature of the Indian official, this will be handled by Anju Kumar and so all of you can just fill out the form with your details and sign it but leave that other signature section blank. Why the hell they could not have been clear about this from the beginning is something only God knows because we all know the CGI NY folk do not know themselves. So the good news is that you can mail this renunciation form in or if you want, you can go in person and get it done there. My friend also contacted Anju Kumar this morning just to confirm what Bajaj had said and she confirmed everything.

Hope this helps you guys out.

The same confusion exists even at the visa office. Everyone there is completely surprised by the new rules which keep changing on a daily basis. I applied for a visa on Tuesday afternoon, hoping to get it back on Wednesday. Instead I get a call about this extra $175 fee. I show up this morning with the fee and now they have an additional requirement -- they need a copy of the naturalization certificate. Of course, I didn't have it with me, so I had to have my wife fax it to them. After they recd the fax, they gave me another version of the surrender certificate to fill out (the one from the consulate website). I just left the part which is supposed to be filled by an Indian citizen blank. Since the procedures have changed, they now have no idea how long it will take to get the visa. I was supposed to fly on Sunday -- may have to cancel the trip.
Sad to hear that - by the way why they need naturalization certificate when you produce your US passport and can't they even understand the basic legal question? may be I have to cancel my trip as well

Awesome Information. Who do you address the renunciation form (by mail) to and what do you write on the envelope?

My opinion is that you address it to the CGI NY at its postal address but then call it out for the attention of Dr. Anju Kumar. Probably should write something like "Surrender Certificate Application" boldly on the envelope somewhere.

smodak, note that they are still asking for some Indian citizen friend of yours to vouch for you and sign your form as well and you have to provide a copy of your friend's relevant Indian passport page.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sad to hear that - by the way why they need naturalization certificate when you produce your US passport and can't they even understand the basic legal question? may be I have to cancel my trip as well

So that they can "fine" you if you did not get the surrender certificate in 90 days after naturalization.

it is 3 months in New york not 90 days - yippee - this is like watching Hindi serial

3 months - 90 days - same difference.

Hindi Serial ... no way. Hindi serials move too slowly, this is happening too fast. Hindi serials would cover this in a month ... first week will be discovering that OCI apps are being rejected, 2nd week someone will bring up a question about surrender certificate, and so on...

Ok guys, here is the latest info:

My friend yesterday who Mr. Bajaj was rude to, ended up sending an email to every single person in the CGI NY and she got a response to call back. She called back this morning and spoke to Mr. Bajaj who was much calmer today and explained that he does not handle the surrender certificate processing and that is handled instead by Anju Kumar and he gave her contact number.
------ What is her Contact number? is that same phone number as on NYC website?
Bajaj also said for those whose OCI stickers have arrived, you need to fill out the renunciation form, send the payment (I think this probably would mean a bank money order, not a personal check) and add a cover letter referencing your OCI application details (including your file acknowledgment number). He said send it by express mail. Regarding the second signature of the Indian official, this will be handled by Anju Kumar and so all of you can just fill out the form with your details and sign it but leave that other signature section blank.
----- does it mean that who got OCI document sent to Delhi and arrived at NYC should send OCI online status Page + US passport+ Indian Passport +the renunciation form+Money order/Bank Check of $175? what about $20 Mail charge? do one also need to send $20 if not sent in past. Will they send OCI, U visa in US passport and surrender certificate by Mail or one should go to NYC?
Why the hell they could not have been clear about this from the beginning is something only God knows because we all know the CGI NY folk do not know themselves. So the good news is that you can mail this renunciation form in or if you want, you can go in person and get it done there. My friend also contacted Anju Kumar this morning just to confirm what Bajaj had said and she confirmed everything.

Hope this helps you guys out.
--------------

So that they can "fine" you if you did not get the surrender certificate in 90 days after naturalization.

I think the penalty of $250 (in addition to $175 renunciation fee) for not cancelling the Indian passport in time applies only if you don't cancel/surrender India passport within 3 years after becoming naturalized citizen here. I got my US citizenship 10 months back, I asked CGI-NY if the penalty applies to me since its beyond 3 months, response from CGI-NY was "we can tell that only after seeing your Indian passport". What more can they see in my passport as I already told them the exact date of my naturalization and the time elapsed since then, they can see in my Indian passport if I travelled on it after I became naturalized here. I think this is the reason why they are asking for a copy of naturalization certificate, US passport doesn't tell when one was naturalized. I don’t think we need to worry about penalty unless its beyond three years after getting citizenship here, or one has used Indian passport even after naturalization

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the penalty of $250 (in addition to $175 renunciation fee) for not cancelling the Indian passport in time applies only if you don't cancel/surrender India passport within 3 years after becoming naturalized citizen here.
-------- I read the same 3 years rule after becoming foreign Citizen. But if one makes trip on Indian passport after getting other country Citizenship then some fine for first entry and if person makes two or thee entry then more fine. I don’t have link to that rule.
I got my US citizenship 10 months back, I asked CGI-NY if the penalty applies to me since its beyond 3 months, response from CGI-NY was "we can tell that only after seeing your Indian passport". What more can they see in my passport as I already told them the exact date of my naturalization and the time elapsed since then, they can see in my Indian passport if I travelled on it after I became naturalized here. I think this is the reason why they are asking for a copy of naturalization certificate, US passport doesn't tell when one was naturalized. I don’t think we need to worry about penalty unless its beyond three years after getting citizenship here, or one has used Indian passport even after naturalization
http://mha.nic.in/pdfs/Citi_Rule-2009.pdf
Check the Item 5 on page 74. It does not say anything about fine and many dont know when one gets US citizenship that one need to know from Consulate websites. even if that is posted on Site do all who get US citizenship check the websites?

ginnu:

Same as the website phone number for Anju Kumar.

My friend had already sent in her passport for OCI sticker collection when this nonsense came out. So she is sending the surrender certificate application separately but referencing her OCI in the cover letter. The OCI processing and the Surrender Certificate processing are handled by different people (Pushpa Kumar and Anju Kumar respectively). For those who have not sent anything in but have the OCI stickers waiting already in NY, this is my opinion only: Combine everything as one mailed package to NY but within the package separate out the OCI and Surrender Certificate documents into separate envelopes and separate payment checks as well but have one cover letter clearly detailing the enclosures you are submitting.

Update on India CG NY homepage said:
The Indian Citizenship Act does not allow dual citizenship. Under Indian law, Persons of Indian origin, who have acquired foreign citizenship are required to surrender their Indian Passports to the nearest Indian Mission/Post immediately after acquisition of foreign citizenship. The Government of India has fixed fee for renouncing the Indian citizenship/surrender of Indian passport. Holding Indian passport/acquiring Indian passport/travelling on Indian passport after acquisition of foreign citizenship constitutes an offence under the Passport Act and attracts penalties.

In view of the aforementioned provision, foreign nationals of Indian origin applying for Indian visa, OCI/PIO cards or other consular services are required to surrender their Indian passports (valid/expired) before the above service can be granted. They would be issued surrender certificate and the cancelled passport would be returned.

A fee of US$175 for renouncing Indian citizenship/surrender of Indian passport is charged. Penalty cases would take more time.

Update on India CG NY home page

Wait for the New Notice. I think one should keep the Printout of all that they have posted. I may need the Printouts from the date they first posted info on site. If anybody has clear printouts please let me know. I have talked to a lawyer in India and he needs the full information so that he can attach NYC info posted Prinuts with RTI Application/form
In the Past Amit Sikka filed RTI and one can read it
http://cic.gov.in/CIC-Orders/WB-13032009-01.pdf

Info from the NY Consulate

I received the following instructions via e-mail.

show details 1:11 PM (41 minutes ago)
Following are required for application of Renunciation of Indian Citizenship and 'Surrender Certificate' for OCI/PIO Cards:

1. Form XXII in triplicate. The link is indiacgny.org/UserFiles/File/FORM%20XXII.doc
2. Original Indian passport
3. Copy of first five and last two pages of Indian passport
4. Copy of US Naturalization Certificate
5. Fees of US$ 175/- (Cashier’s Check/Money Order in favor of the Consulate General of India, New York)
6. If you send this by mail, the form has to be notarized and also include mailing fee of $20/-.
7. Contact telephone and e-mail number.
8. For more details, please visit our website indiacgny.org and look under consular services.

Is it not illegal to copy the naturalization certificate?

I received the following instructions via e-mail.

show details 1:11 PM (41 minutes ago)
Following are required for application of Renunciation of Indian Citizenship and 'Surrender Certificate' for OCI/PIO Cards:

1. Form XXII in triplicate. The link is indiacgny.org/UserFiles/File/FORM%20XXII.doc
2. Original Indian passport
3. Copy of first five and last two pages of Indian passport
4. Copy of US Naturalization Certificate
5. Fees of US$ 175/- (Cashier’s Check/Money Order in favor of the Consulate General of India, New York)
6. If you send this by mail, the form has to be notarized and also include mailing fee of $20/-.
7. Contact telephone and e-mail number.
8. For more details, please visit our website indiacgny.org and look under consular services.

Two versions of the XXII form

You may want to note that there are two versions of the XXII form.

Version 1. as recommend by the consulate e-mail indiacgny.org/UserFiles/File/FORM%20XXII.doc
This version does not require the passport number of the Indian citizen vouching for accuracy of details in the form.

Version 2. on the new notices "Renunciation of Indian citizenship and surrender certificate for OCI/PIO cards" web-site indiacgny.org/UserFiles/FORM%20XXII(1).doc
This is a different version of the same form and requires passport number of the Indian citizen

Not sure which one is the correct version.

Both look exactly same to me and looks like both require the 'passport number of a friend'

Two versions of the XXII form

You may want to note that there are two versions of the XXII form.

Version 1. as recommend by the consulate e-mail indiacgny.org/UserFiles/File/FORM%20XXII.doc
This version does not require the passport number of the Indian citizen vouching for accuracy of details in the form.

Version 2. on the new notices "Renunciation of Indian citizenship and surrender certificate for OCI/PIO cards" web-site indiacgny.org/UserFiles/FORM%20XXII(1).doc
This is a different version of the same form and requires passport number of the Indian citizen

Not sure which one is the correct version.

Both has the same information ...I have a question in "Particulars" .. you have to fill your friends information or our information...
secondly...i should ask him to give his pasport copy and get it notorized?. anyone who understood the form can you please post it with some sample data so that it helps ...