OCI - New York Tracker

Question for cpmumbai2002

Can you please help with the correct version of the form.

According to your post #1475, "...they gave me another version of the surrender certificate to fill out (the one from the consulate website)".

Do you remember the version they gave you indiacgny.org/UserFiles/File/FORM%20XXII.doc OR indiacgny.org/UserFiles/FORM%20XXII(1).doc

thanks,

Is anyone seriously thinking about showing up in front of the Consulate in NY? I am frustrated and I will for sure join.
My passports are with CGI NY and I don't know how the **** I can make copies of the passport or send original Indian passport. I hope they do window service for this (at least for few weeks).
If I mail the form XXII and fees, how are they going to link it with my passports in CG NY? I am just lost. (don't mean it is difficult but are the babus at CGI willing to do this?)

This is the text from the first version ...no mention of passport number

---------------

Particulars

1. Full name …………………………………………………………………..
2. Address ……………………………………………………………………
3. Profession or occupation …………………………………………………
4. Place and date of birth ……………………………………………………
5. (Second) Nationality ………………………………………………………
6. Single, married, etc. ………………………………………………………
7. Name of wife or husband …………………………………………………
8. Names and full particulars of children, if any …………………………

I, the undersigned, hereby state that I am an Indian citizen otherwise than by naturalization that I am householder, and that I am not the solicitor or agent of …………………………………… I vouch for the correctness of the statements made by ………………………………………… in his application for …………………………………

Signature …………………..……………
Date ………………. Name (in BLOCK LETTERS) ……………

Full Postal address ………………
…………………………………….
…………………………………….

*Signature and designation of the officer authorized under rule 38 of the citizenship Rules, 2009, before whom the registration, declaration or oath of allegiance is made or taken.

Both look exactly same to me and looks like both require the 'passport number of a friend'

Is anyone seriously thinking about showing up in front of the Consulate in NY? I am frustrated and I will for sure join.
My passports are with CGI NY and I don't know how the **** I can make copies of the passport or send original Indian passport. I hope they do window service for this (at least for few weeks).
If I mail the form XXII and fees, how are they going to link it with my passports in CG NY? I am just lost. (don't mean it is difficult but are the babus at CGI willing to do this?)

Mine is also stuck with these idiots...if you have any luck in going directly let me know... i think you should take a copy of the oci online form printout and they can link with it ...just my 2 cent...i think in couple of days we might see some more info in the website.

Can you please help with the correct version of the form.

According to your post #1475, "...they gave me another version of the surrender certificate to fill out (the one from the consulate website)".

Do you remember the version they gave you indiacgny.org/UserFiles/File/FORM%20XXII.doc OR indiacgny.org/UserFiles/FORM%20XXII(1).doc

thanks,

It was the one at indiacgny.org/UserFiles/FORM%20XXII(1).doc

I remember seeing the words Consulate General under the Designation.

Mine is also stuck with these idiots...

I will let you know if I go there personally. I might not get off from work until Wednesday, next week. So earliest would be Wendesday Hopefully we would get somemore info by then.

Is there any rule that they cannot keep my passport (US) for longer then so many days? I am thinking if there is a way to file a complaint with US authorities about CGI holding my U.S passport for so long and without any communication.

I will be going to CGI-NY on 9.30 AM Monday 17th, May 2010 for personally hand over to surrender certificate.

Both has the same information ...I have a question in "Particulars" .. you have to fill your friends information or our information...
secondly...i should ask him to give his pasport copy and get it notorized?. anyone who understood the form can you please post it with some sample data so that it helps ...

You are right, this must be the particulars of the other Indian citizen vouching for the applicant.
Damn, I already prepared one version repeating my particulars in this section as well,
I need to prepare another version. I will take both versions to their counter when I go to NYC next week.
Very confusing ...

You are right, this must be the particulars of the other Indian citizen vouching for the applicant.
Damn, I already prepared one version repeating my particulars in this section as well,
I need to prepare another version. I will take both versions to their counter when I go to NYC next week.
Very confusing ...

No that does not make any sense for the particulars to be of the person vouching for you. It's got to be for yourself because why would this form capture far more details about the vouching Indian than about you making the renunciation? But then again, these are the idiots at the CGI who can't tell you anything straight up and then again maybe they do want to know more about the voucher for some stupid reason.

I have a name change in US Naturalization as xxxxxxxxx yyyyyyyyyy
My name in the Indian passport have zzzzzzz yyyyyyyyy xxxxxxxxx

Will it affect the surrender certificate.
Do I need to submit name change court order documents along with form XXII(1)

Very confusing....

I will be going to CGI-NY on 9.30 AM Monday 17th, May 2010 for personally hand over to surrender certificate.

csekar,
I would be able to go only after Tuesday next week (probably Wednesday). If you go Kindly post your experience.
thanks!

Scratch everything

Ok Guys and I believe they got their act together and replaced with new form (for now)
take a look

and it says 2 weeks to process - so people who are plan to leave early like me are doomed I guess

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok Guys and I believe they got their act together and replaced with new form (for now)
take a look

and it says 2 weeks to process - so people who are plan to leave early like me are doomed I guess

What is the general consensus, should I send the form with my OCI collection letter over mail or go over tomorrow. I would not like to send over my passport for longer than a few days since I travel unexpectedly all the time and need my passport with me.

They seem to be following the lead of the CGI San Fran. A much better form, no vouching, counter signing, triple signing nonsense. Why do you think they ask that you sign that you have made copies of your passport? They should be sending back the cancelled passport with the Surrender Certificate, right? Maybe they want you to have copies in case something gets lost.

What is the general consensus, should I send the form with my OCI collection letter over mail or go over tomorrow. I would not like to send over my passport for longer than a few days since I travel unexpectedly all the time and need my passport with me.

Given all the confusion until now, if you can go in person, that is what I would do. Use the latest info and form from the website and take that with you, completed to the CGI NY. The one concern is that they don't mention anything in the latest website update about doing this in person.

Hang on their buddy and not sure whether they are going entertain walk-in as it looks like they are not going to approve on the spot- if you have time its worth a shot else drop it in mail

No that does not make any sense for the particulars to be of the person vouching for you. It's got to be for yourself because why would this form capture far more details about the vouching Indian than about you making the renunciation? But then again, these are the idiots at the CGI who can't tell you anything straight up and then again maybe they do want to know more about the voucher for some stupid reason.
I thought so like that.. but would they not ask the particulars of you before you sign some thing...signature should the last of any doument saying the above mentioned facts are true..in this form.. first our signature ..then the consulate officer signature ...then comes the particulars and then the indian citizen signature..

i am sure some idiot read the citizens rules 2009 and prepared this form XXII and added it to the website.

point 3: i hereby renounce the citizenship of india.

point 4: i hereby renounce the citizenship of india. and surrrender my indian pp number : ********

why do they need 2 points ?

Given all the confusion until now, if you can go in person, that is what I would do. Use the latest info and form from the website and take that with you, completed to the CGI NY. The one concern is that they don't mention anything in the latest website update about doing this in person.

I prepared everything ready to go NYC tomorrow, but dropped that idea after seeing the latest update on their web site. As of yesterday they said personal appearance was mandatory, now the new instructions to do it by mail, are they going to accept requests at their counter? Not sure. I don't want to waste one whole day just to find out that, sorry CGI-NY. Even if I go there, not sure if they are going to ask to come back in the evening to collect the certificate, I don't think they will issue the certificate right there at their counter. I will wait for few weeks and send it by mail.