OCI - New York Tracker

vip1r - Thank you for your detailed updated. It is folks like you and Dr. Dutta who braved the "trenches" and then wrote in detail that makes this forum so helpful for all of us.

You wrote in your earlier Post that you met Prabhu Dayal and Mr Bajaj. Did you take appointment? did you meet Dr, Anju Kumar? Provide the details.
Thanks for the update
Please correct my English grammar

1) OCI that has been dispatched after approval from Delhi and has reached NY by 4TH MAY will not be charged $175 as per MR. BAJAJ today.

-------------------------------But no official announcement on the Indian consulate site.

He announced it not sure about website

ALL OCIs from 1 will be released w/o SC
Do you mean all the OCI that are Received in Indian Consulate in NY in May 4 don’t have to Pay 175. What do you mean by May 4? Do you mean if the OCI reached NYC and OCI online status page shows RECIVED CGI NYC May 4 or BEFORE May 4? will all the OCI RECIEVED in NYC BEFORE 4 May they dont need SC to submit or to get SC to Collect OCI? What about those who send OCI Status page that OCI reached NYC Before MAY 4 and also paid $175 and also sent Indian passport and US passport? Should they go to Consulate and ask the $175 back and collect the OCI?

The status page should say- OCI reached (approved OCI docs from Delhi) NY. Cut off date- may 4. any oci reached NY afteer MAY 4, pay $175 get SC then get OCI. BEFORE MAY 4, SC not required to get OCI but strongly suggested.

AFTER getting SC, since I do not have rush of travel, will request OCI by mail.
-----any idea how much time they are taking to send the SC those who have sent $175+20 from the date they got envelope with SC fees, Forms. many posted it will be two weeks does it mean 14-15 days from the mailing date one can get SC in mail?.

Safe to assume 2 weeks for SC and 2 weeks for OCI; if done together may save 1 week

IF YOU HAVE EMEREGENCY, TODAY CONSULATE WAS ACCEPTING OCI FOR 4TH MAY RECEIPTS; OTHER DATES FOLLOW SC PROCEDURE.
what do you mean by"TODAY CONSULATE WAS ACCEPTING OCI FOR 4TH MAY RECEIPTS"? do you mean if OCI for Mr X was recieved before May 4 at NYC then Mr X collected OCI today and they were giving OCI, U visa today at Window?
approved OCIS i mean
yes.... also somebody else in the forum said he managed to get his OCI sticker and SC the same day. that is still possible but you have to plead the officers. they were giving OCIs to people wh
oose OCIs were received by MAY 4 at the consultae

YOU CAN DO BOTH TOGETHER, JUST SEND IT IN ONE PLACE -SC with instructions for OCI. AND $20 DOLLARS, ANJU KUMAR'S DEPT will process SC and forward to OCI cell.
----- Do you mean if OCI has reached NYC after May 4 then send SC form+175+ copy of NC+$20+US passport to Anju Kumar Department and write that OCI is with NYC and attach OCI online status page and make a request for SC then once they Stamp SC then give the file to OCI cell to mail the OCI documents. How much time that is going to take to get the OCI, US passport back in hand by mail?
Suggest doing this is YOUR OCI HAS REACHED NY FROM DELHI

NOT sure about time line to get the docs back but procedure is correct; see later post of ANju verma's exact words.

You wrote in your earlier Post that you met Prabhu Dayal and Mr Bajaj. Did you take appointment? did you meet Dr, Anju Kumar? Provide the details.
Thanks for the update

NO worries about grammer, all of us are writing in a hurry. I did not make appointment; Bajaj and dayal had come down. Anju verma and i communicated via email.

ALSO MAY 29/30 CONSULATE WILL BE OPEN ACCORDING TO BAJAJ
Arjun

NY consulate website is updated yesterday saying it will be open on May 29 (but not 30) from 9.00am-5.30 pm. See http://indiacgny.org/php/showHighLightDet.php?h_id=140&key=

When you are sending application for SC, are you sending it by Express Mail?
---- if you send by Express Mail you know who Received the envelope with Date/time of delivery and can print the tracking.
When you are sending application for OCI, are you sending copy of SC or original SC?
---I dont know wait for others comment
-------

vip1r - Thank you for your detailed updated. It is folks like you and Dr. Dutta who braved the "trenches" and then wrote in detail that makes this forum so helpful for all of us.

These forums have been one of the most useful resources through out the entire immigration process over the years for me. I have yet to find any other resources which would match its breadth.

I got oci

These forums have been one of the most useful resources through out the entire immigration process over the years for me. I have yet to find any other resources which would match its breadth.

I second that - I got Surrender Certificate, OCI booklet and passport Affixed and Indian passport cancelled - thanks god I didn't need to visit them personally

NY consulate website is updated yesterday saying it will be open on May 29 (but not 30) from 9.00am-5.30 pm. See http://indiacgny.org/php/showHighLightDet.php?h_id=140&key=

When you are sending application for SC, are you sending it by Express Mail?

When you are sending application for OCI, are you sending copy of SC or original SC?

Cheaper option:

Use flat rate priority envelope ($5) + receipt confirmation ($1+) - u can track this

SC copy you can mail when picking up OCI

Arjun

1) OCI that has been dispatched after approval from Delhi and has reached NY by 4TH MAY will not be charged $175 as per MR. BAJAJ today.

-------------------------------But no official announcement on the Indian consulate site.

He announced it not sure about website

ALL OCIs from 1 will be released w/o SC
Do you mean all the OCI that are Received in Indian Consulate in NY in May 4 don’t have to Pay 175. What do you mean by May 4? Do you mean if the OCI reached NYC and OCI online status page shows RECIVED CGI NYC May 4 or BEFORE May 4? will all the OCI RECIEVED in NYC BEFORE 4 May they dont need SC to submit or to get SC to Collect OCI? What about those who send OCI Status page that OCI reached NYC Before MAY 4 and also paid $175 and also sent Indian passport and US passport? Should they go to Consulate and ask the $175 back and collect the OCI?

-----The status page should say- OCI reached (approved OCI docs from Delhi) NY. Cut off date- may 4. any oci reached NY afteer MAY 4, pay $175 get SC then get OCI. BEFORE MAY 4, SC not required to get OCI but strongly suggested.

AFTER getting SC, since I do not have rush of travel, will request OCI by mail.
-----any idea how much time they are taking to send the SC those who have sent $175+20 from the date they got envelope with SC fees, Forms. many posted it will be two weeks does it mean 14-15 days from the mailing date one can get SC in mail?.

****Safe to assume 2 weeks for SC and 2 weeks for OCI; if done together may save 1 week

IF YOU HAVE EMEREGENCY, TODAY CONSULATE WAS ACCEPTING OCI FOR 4TH MAY RECEIPTS; OTHER DATES FOLLOW SC PROCEDURE.
what do you mean by"TODAY CONSULATE WAS ACCEPTING OCI FOR 4TH MAY RECEIPTS"? do you mean if OCI for Mr X was recieved before May 4 at NYC then Mr X collected OCI today and they were giving OCI, U visa today at Window?
approved OCIS i mean
*****yes.... also somebody else in the forum said he managed to get his OCI sticker and SC the same day. that is still possible but you have to plead the officers. they were giving OCIs to people wh
oose OCIs were received by MAY 4 at the consultae

YOU CAN DO BOTH TOGETHER, JUST SEND IT IN ONE PLACE -SC with instructions for OCI. AND $20 DOLLARS, ANJU KUMAR'S DEPT will process SC and forward to OCI cell.
----- Do you mean if OCI has reached NYC after May 4 then send SC form+175+ copy of NC+$20+US passport to Anju Kumar Department and write that OCI is with NYC and attach OCI online status page and make a request for SC then once they Stamp SC then give the file to OCI cell to mail the OCI documents. How much time that is going to take to get the OCI, US passport back in hand by mail?

*****Suggest doing this is YOUR OCI HAS REACHED NY FROM DELHI

NOT sure about time line to get the docs back but procedure is correct; see later post of ANju verma's exact words.

Thanks for the update

NO worries about grammer, all of us are writing in a hurry. I did not make appointment; Bajaj and dayal had come down. Anju verma and i communicated via email.

ALSO MAY 29/30 CONSULATE WILL BE OPEN ACCORDING TO BAJAJ
Arjun
---

I second that - I got Surrender Certificate, OCI booklet and passport Affixed and Indian passport cancelled - thanks god I didn't need to visit them personally

Hi BostonCool,

We received our OCIs+passports today along with 1 original of the surrender certificate form that the SF consulate had required filing in duplicate. That original now has the consulate stamp, signature and a DRIL no. that is also now seen on the US passports. Is this the surrender certificate itself or just an acknowledgment of the application? What did you get as the surrender certificate? Thanks a lot for your inputs.

Hi BostonCool,

We received our OCIs+passports today along with 1 original of the surrender certificate form that the SF consulate had required filing in duplicate. That original now has the consulate stamp, signature and a DRIL no. that is also now seen on the US passports. Is this the surrender certificate itself or just an acknowledgment of the application? What did you get as the surrender certificate? Thanks a lot for your inputs.

SC, Official NYC indian consulate letter pad signed by Deputy CG and nothing fancy simple paper explaining the renouncation details - OCI a booklet with my photo - US passport has life long OCI VISA attached to it with my photo and Indian passport with cancellation
I got all three together in postal mail today

SC, Official NYC indian consulate letter pad signed by Deputy CG and nothing fancy simple paper explaining the renouncation details - OCI a booklet with my photo - US passport has life long OCI VISA attached to it with my photo and Indian passport with cancellation
Please recap your situation with dates.
When your OCI did reach NYC?
Did you send US passport+ Indian passport+ form for surrender certificate, Fees 175and $20 mailing fees?
Or your ICI reached NYC you send US passport and Indian passport and later sent Fee175+$20 and Form for surrender certificate while your US passport and Indian passport was with NYC.

Explain your situation so that other who may be similar to your situation can get more info. How many days it took to get OCI Through mail?
Thanks!!

Thanks BostonCool. In our case, SF consulate simply sent 1 part of the SC app form filed in duplicate. So am at a loss to understand if this is the SC or the SC is different and yet to come. Haven't got a reply yet from anyone in other forums either if this is what SF gives as the SC.

According to info posted on NYC site that they have Camp on 29 they wrote only that one can get surrender certificate by visiting NYC with Form and Fee and India passport.

What about those who have got OCI received at NYC and OCI status page says RECEIVED at NYC and they have Send India passport and Fee by mail for surrender certificate? They did not make it clear that those who have sent Fee, Form and Indian passport by mail can also pick up the Surrender certificate and they will give the Certificate and Indian passport back and they can also collect the OCI same day.
They should made it clear so that person need not to visit again the consulate or have again to mail the US passport, surrender certificate to collect OCI if they come to consulate on 29 in above situation. They could have saved the time to collect OCI and could have saved $20 to send the Indian passport by mail with surrender certificate and could have saved $20 for the person as again one need to send surrender certificate, cancelled Indian passport and US passport for OCI and U visa. They never make the things clear.

I have sent the application for surrender certificate by mail. Can I go and pickup the surrender certificate on May 29th? Also my OCI status says photo/signature scanned from many days. Is New York CGNY processing OCI applications or not?

I have sent the application for surrender certificate by mail. Can I go and pickup the surrender certificate on May 29th?

-- when did you sent Indian passport for surrender certificate with form and fees? if it has reached NYC then remember the date and send email to Anju Kumar that you will pick up your canceled Indian passport and surrender certificate from consulate on 29th, provide them the Name on Passport and passport number. Nothing wrong in trying.

Also my OCI status says photo/signature scanned from many days. Is New York CGNY processing OCI applications or not?
----------------------------- when did you sent OCI application?They are acknowledging the OCI applications and also Photo/signature scanning but many OCI show UNDERPRECESS it means they have not GRANTED. Once you see GRANTED then Delhi prints the OCI in 5-7 days and sends to NYC and it takes 10-13 days for NYC to update OCI Status.
------------

OCI STATUS Under Process

I have sent the application for surrender certificate by mail. Can I go and pickup the surrender certificate on May 29th? Also my OCI status says photo/signature scanned from many days. Is New York CGNY processing OCI applications or not?

I think we are in the same situation. My date of acknowledgement and photo scan dates are May 7th. Earlier rest of the process was moving much faster (may be a week to 10 days). Currently it has not moved for over two weeks. I have also mailed my docs to CGNY for SC about a week back. Currently waiting to hear back for SC as well as status to change for OCI before contacting CGNY for U stamp on US passport.

Good luck. Please post if your situation advances.

I think we are in the same situation. My date of acknowledgement and photo scan dates are May 7th. Earlier rest of the process was moving much faster (may be a week to 10 days). Currently it has not moved for over two weeks.
------ The consulate still Scan the Photo/Signature on a week or twice and I noticed that they Scanned on May 14 then May 17 then May 18.Many application after Scanning are still UNDER PROCESS and not GRANTED.

I have also mailed my docs to CGNY for SC about a week back.
------ they have not posted for 29 May on NYC Site that if one can collect SC if one has mailed the Indian passport for SC. Send them emails or call them. One of my Friend sent Form, Fee and Indian passport 12 days back by mail and still they have not sent SC.
Currently waiting to hear back for SC as well as status to change for OCI before contacting CGNY for U stamp on US passport.
----------------It seems your OCI will take about 30-45 days to reach NYC.
Good luck. Please post if your situation advances.
----------------------

Thanks for your information.
I too have sent the application for SC by mail on 14th May 2010. I emailed to Dr. Anju Kumar and asked her when I will get SC. No Response.

I applied OCI on 7th May 2010 and received CGI-NY on 10th May 2010.
MY OCI status are still not acknowleded.

I am also thinking of going to CGI-NY on 29th May 2010.
Will it be worth to go there.

According to info posted on NYC site that they have Camp on 29 they wrote only that one can get surrender certificate by visiting NYC with Form and Fee and India passport.

What about those who have got OCI received at NYC and OCI status page says RECEIVED at NYC and they have Send India passport and Fee by mail for surrender certificate? They did not make it clear that those who have sent Fee, Form and Indian passport by mail can also pick up the Surrender certificate and they will give the Certificate and Indian passport back and they can also collect the OCI same day.
They should made it clear so that person need not to visit again the consulate or have again to mail the US passport, surrender certificate to collect OCI if they come to consulate on 29 in above situation. They could have saved the time to collect OCI and could have saved $20 to send the Indian passport by mail with surrender certificate and could have saved $20 for the person as again one need to send surrender certificate, cancelled Indian passport and US passport for OCI and U visa. They never make the things clear.

I am exactly on the same boat. I sent the SC form and documents last week Wednesday.. Though I got my OCI stamped in April, my wife's OCI got delayed (their fault) but eventually received @ NYC on 12th May. I sent $350 + $20.. Not sure when I get the SC. Using that I think I will make a personal visit to pick up my wife's OCI.

The other thing I don't understand is the timing.. They could have jumped in this sh$t hole after the holiday period.. Why during this summer vacation where quite a few people travel ? :mad: