OCI - New York Tracker

SC by Mail

I mailed on 5/15 and was received on 5/18. No response as yet. Hope another week will do it. I am not sure if we can go on 29th in person to get this?

Has anyone received their SC via mail ? If so, how long it took in the mail process ? I sent the docs last week (reached the consulate on 20th)..

Thanks

This is what the consulate website states now reg May 29th - Do you think we get OCI card also on same day if we go there on Saturday?
In view of the great rush for issue of the surrender certificate, the Indian Consulate will be open on Saturday 29th May, 2010 between 9.00am-5.30 pm for issuing Renunciation/Surrender Certificates.

Applicants who need to travel to India on emergency or whose documents for Overseas Citizenship of India have been received at the Consulate, are advised to come in person, bring all the documents required and complete the surrender/renunciation process (for details, please go to http://indiacgny.org/php/showHighLightDet.php?h_id=138&key=). They will be given their Certificates at the Consulate on the same day.

If you think that they will also give OCI same day then what was the problem to make it clear on site? They just want to collect the Money and will give you a piece of paper called SC. FYI when Arjun Dutta visited NY Consulate then Mr Bajaj has announced that the OCI that are reached BEFORE 4th May in Consulate they don’t have to pay for surrender certificate. Where is that info??? Call him/ write email to him, fax him and find the correct information. They are misleading the public for 3-4 months.

I mailed on 5/15 and was received on 5/18. No response as yet. Hope another week will do it. I am not sure if we can go on 29th in person to get this?
Your Indian passport may be still in the envelope with other pile of envelopes (they may have taken the Check out) and I don’t think from Window clerk is going to find the envelope and your passport. FYI this is nothing but a Donation Camp on 29 or Benefit match for Mr Bajaj

Last edited by a moderator:
Do we know who is the "Genius" who agreed and implemented the rules for the consulates regarding this SC without any consideration ? I am sure he/she is well above Mr. Bajaj or Dr.Anju .. I feel sad for the folks behind the counter..

While he/she could implement the rule for any new applications, why for the ones already granted ? When is the next space ship to Pandora leaving ? Have a couple of spaces ready.. We got to ship someone out ..

SC by mail

I think Boston and one more person got SC and OCI by mail, recently. Check earlier posts on pgs. 60-61

Bajaj said that OCI that were dispatched bY delhi and the online status says OCI received in NY BY MAY 4, WILL NOT NEED TO SHOW SC.

He had received the info last friday and maybe they do not want to post it on the web and create more confusion. Not sure...

However, as I had said earlier, for any future need from the consulate they will need proof of SC.

My OCI was dispatched from Delhi on MAY 10 and 15 days later still not received by NY

Arjun

Just now I spoke to Mr. Bajaj. I told that I was applied my SC on 14th May 2010 and received by CGI-NY on 17th May 2010. I did not receive SC and passport. Per CGI-NY web site shows two week processing time. How long will take to complete the process. Mr. Bajaj said, two week only for processing time and then it will take ten days for mailing to reach your hand.. Then I asked what is my status now. I emailed daily and I am unable to get any reply from anybody. he said, everybody is busy and no time for replying any emails.

Folks, this is the today 25th May 2010 CGI-NY positions.

I think Boston and one more person got SC and OCI by mail, recently. Check earlier posts on pgs. 60-61

Bajaj said that OCI that were dispatched bY delhi and the online status says OCI received in NY BY MAY 4, WILL NOT NEED TO SHOW SC.

He had received the info last friday and maybe they do not want to post it on the web and create more confusion. Not sure...

However, as I had said earlier, for any future need from the consulate they will need proof of SC.

My OCI was dispatched from Delhi on MAY 10 and 15 days later still not received by NY

Arjun
I think they have stopped acknowledging any receives since this SC mess started. What is the point since they are unable to service all the receives they already have committed to. However, I think if you call Mr. Bajaj/write that you have your SC, you might get lucky.

Just now I spoke to Mr. Bajaj. I told that I was applied my SC on 14th May 2010 and received by CGI-NY on 17th May 2010. I did not receive SC and passport. Per CGI-NY web site shows two week processing time. How long will take to complete the process. Mr. Bajaj said, two week only for processing time and then it will take ten days for mailing to reach your hand.. Then I asked what is my status now. I emailed daily and I am unable to get any reply from anybody. he said, everybody is busy and no time for replying any emails.

------ Bajaj said that and we dont have any Video recording of what he said to show him and others. the NYC consulate website info does not say anything and it clearly means that Bajaj gave wrong info OR hiding the info just to collect the Money from those who got OCI recieved NY BY MAY 4
----- what Friday Friday of May 2012? He just said that and now he does not know how cover the lie and nobody to ask him.
Did they post that info somewhere in consulate, did they put advertisement on any Indian channel, did they update NYC site? I don’t believe in what Bajaj says or said at consulate and we dont have any evidence of his statements. . if you were at consulate then Call him send email to him and ask why they did not put that info on the NYC site.

---------------Simple they are not updating the status on OCI status site.
Arjun
FYI the children who were born in US and had PIO Card and applied OCI (on the base of parents being US citizen) and OCI approved and OCI reached NYC 1 month back and parents sent valid PIO Card, US passport of kids are not getting OCI for these kids sent to them. These kids never had Indian Citizenship and never had Indian passport and they dont need SC(I got PM from a parent in above situation he sent emails, Fax and no reply . What is the mess going on with NYC?

I think they have stopped acknowledging any receives since this SC mess started. What is the point since they are unable to service all the receives they already have committed to. However, I think if you call Mr. Bajaj/write that you have your SC, you might get lucky.

Yep correct and I did everything through mail and no personal visit
Also I got the SC in 2 weeks - door-to-door
I also attached my travel plan for speedy process as per Mrs. Kumar's advice

By stroke of luck I got some push from one of the minstry that trigger them to process it quicker and response

-------Boston sent emails to Delhi (emails I have provided in other post then from Delhi some offical sent Email to Consulate and then Boston OCI was sent to him by Mail.

Arjun
------------------

Yep correct and I did everything through mail and no personal visit
Also I got the SC in 2 weeks - door-to-door
I also attached my travel plan for speedy process as per Mrs. Kumar's advice

By stroke of luck I got some push from one of the minstry that trigger them to process it quicker and response
---you got the email from MC Sharma. Please check your sent folder and let us know the emails you sent your Problem to Delhi that may help others to send similar emails.
------------------

According to Mr Bajaj it will take 30-35 days to get the cancelled Indian passport and Surrender certificates if sent by mail (he did not give any other option like Bribe) and nobody knows how much time to get Approved OCI or the OCI that is with NYC. It seems they got more than 8000 OCI printed as NYC had backlog and sent to NYC before May 1 from Delhi and they have to sign the OCI booklets, collect the money and then nobody knows.

Anju Kumar is looking after Cancellation of Indian Passports and Surrender certificates. You should talk to Anju Kumar. Keep on calling her and don’t give the info that Bajaj gave you.

Since the mailing charge for SC is $20, How can it take 10 days for mailing to reach you ? Are they making money out of mailing charge?

Since the mailing charge for SC is $20, How can it take 10 days for mailing to reach you ? Are they making money out of mailing charge?

I think we all will be given personal service.. Someone from the consulate will visit our home hand the documents to us in person..

and why not...

I think we all will be given personal service.. Someone from the consulate will visit our home hand the documents to us in person..

Well, it only took me $13 something to send a package to NY CGI overnight (next day delivery guaranteed).

PROTEST RALLY MAY 26th at 10 am

A Rally in front of the Indian Consulate in NY City is planned for May 26 at 10 am to protest the new rules and fees imposed on the Diaspora. Contact Thomas T Oommen, Chairman political forum, FOMAA, and Leela Maret, treasurer, FOKANA, at 631-796-0064.
This is right out of India Abroad dated May 28th.

My OCI documents were received in NY on May 11th. However, I am already in India on tourist visa and will return in 2nd week of June (less than 30 days after documents were received, but my family will arrive about another 4 weeks later). Is a hard time limit within which we need to collect the OCI documents and get visa on our passport?

My OCI documents were received in NY on May 11th. However, I am already in India on tourist visa and will return in 2nd week of June (less than 30 days after documents were received, but my family will arrive about another 4 weeks later). Is a hard time limit within which we need to collect the OCI documents and get visa on our passport?
Dont worry. I think you will be fine. At this point there will be several people who will be in your boat, i.e. collecting their OCI's months later because of the SC mess.

Sc form - question on notary signature

I am filling out the Sc form - the latest pdf version on CGI NY website. There is a declaration line that reads
I, ____________________________________________ do solemnly and sincerely declare that the foregoing particulars stated in this declaration are true and I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true.
Made and subscribed this __________ day of __________________
Phone No: Name:
E-mail: Signature:
US Address:

who should sign here Me or the notary ? Whose phone number and email address should be filled in ?

In the event of a non-emergency , is the CGI NY , still accepting SC applications in person ?
Thanks for all your help in advance. This is the most detailed thread for all immigration related queries. Thanks to all the posters for taking the time to share their experience