New York City - N-400 Timeline - Naturalization Experiences

justfiled,

Just came back. All went well. I got 6 of 6 right on the civics and the written was easy.

How did yours go?

Strange. Where did my last few posts go?

Carmelo- waiting...waiting...huh? Out of curiosity, who was your IO? Mine was a young Korean guy. Really nice.

My post vanished as well. I too had written that the card can be used only to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry and is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book.

If you are going to fly back from Canada, you will need a passport book.

Strange. Where did my last few posts go?

Carmelo- waiting...waiting...huh? Out of curiosity, who was your IO? Mine was a young Korean guy. Really nice.

Yes. Two weeks and my status has not changed. My IO was a female brunette (had an accent) and was not very pleasant. We were at Door 1.

The interview went on for 30 minutes. 1 more week to go till 3 weeks. Let's see if something happens.

I don't think your status will change anymore. It usually doesn't, once the case is at the local office. I think now we just wait for the oath letter.
How many out here still waiting for the OL? Ctnurse, ray (?), tetero, carmelo and me?

Me too waiting. Buy I had my interview on the 6th a week after both of you. So waiting for you and Carmelo to hear something first.

I am also still waiing, but can find out if a date was scheduled by calling customer service and ask to speak to a second level rep and they will tell you. I was given a decision will be sent at my inteview on 3/28/2011, but when i called and ask to speak to second level rep they told me that on april 1, the officer reccommended me for approval, but it is pending reverification of the grant by his supervisor, but as of now no oath scheduled. Call and they will be able to tell you if you have cleared the supervisor check and in line for oath or if its still pending.

What shoud I do

It has been almost a month since my finger prints and I do not see any updates online. Nor did I get any communication.
What should I do ? Call their 1-800 number to enquire?
Is there a way to find out if FBI cleared my FInger Prints?

Thanks for the second level rep in customer service tip. I called in and spoke to them and they gave me the up to date information, I guess I will cancel my infopass since they'll tell me the same thing over there. Since I send in a e-request on March 1st (1 month before 120 days after my interview) and got a letter saying to give them 60 days from the request to make a decision, the rep told me I have to wait since it's still under supervisory review.

Hello everyone,
haven't been here for ages. :) It's been a week since I received e-mail "case (N-400 - NYC) transferred to local office" and no IL letter yet. What might possibly cause a delay? From what I see here people usually get IL the very next day after such message. All inputs are appreciated. Thank you.

Hello, I filed my application on January 3rd, received my yellow letter on March 5th but still have not received my interview letter yet. But I have seen few people who filed after me here in NYC have received interview letters. I have called USCIS already 3 times, I was told that my case is on the queue for an interview but no date has been confirmed yet. I actually asked the representative if there is any problem with my case, she said everything is fine. But I am really baffled by the fact that people who filed just on March 1 2011 received an interview letter but not me. Do you think think that I should make an info-pass appointment to inquire about my case? By the way I spoke to 2nd tier.

Are you at Federal Plaza or elsewhere? I think those at Federal Plaza get scheduled faster- judging by what someone else on this forum was saying. I think Garden City for eg, takes much longer because it's a smaller facility.

CTNURSE
I have a similar case like you"
the IO gave me a n652 saying I passed the english & history test and decision cannot yet be made about your application. Th IO also told me that Ill receive a letter asking me for more evidence (I applied based in 3 years) and after this Id receive my OL..... it has been 10 days since i had my interview.... I hope it doesnt delay my case for a long....
and congrats for you approbal!!! just wait for the letter!!!

Thank you. Did you get the letter for the more evidence as yet? If so mail it bank asap. My case is based on 5yr rule. I had my interview on 3/28/2011 the IO told me everything looked good, but because i submitted a legal name change providing my marriage license, he had to check on that info then i would get oath letter in a week he told me. When i called and spoke to 2nd level rep they told me he roccomended my case for approval april 1st and it was waiting for the his supervisor to re verify. I decided to call them back yetserday and was told the supervisor approved it on 4/14 and my name was added to oath cermony scheduling database as of 4/15. call customer serice and ask to speak to a 2nd level rep on monday who is an actual IO that has same info that you will get if you were to go for a infopass.

Last edited by a moderator:
Name change was based on marriage? I also asked on a name change but based on divorce. IO told me that since the divorce decree already granted me the use of my maiden name, there'd be no legal name change and I was free to use my maiden name. I wanted to argue that duh, I know that. I don't know what he means by legal or not, I just want the naturalization certificate in my maiden name (and I hope that's the case or I'm going to be a bit annoyed). Of course I didn't say all that. I just smiled and said, 'yes, okay.'

Name change was based on marriage? I also asked on a name change but based on divorce. IO told me that since the divorce decree already granted me the use of my maiden name, there'd be no legal name change and I was free to use my maiden name. I wanted to argue that duh, I know that. I don't know what he means by legal or not, I just want the naturalization certificate in my maiden name (and I hope that's the case or I'm going to be a bit annoyed). Of course I didn't say all that. I just smiled and said, 'yes, okay.'

Its by marriage. Its considered a legal name change cause i already have legal docs to prove my name change and i dont not have to take special oath infront a judge. Lets say i wanted to have my name change at the swear in to something else, but it wasnt from mariage or divorce then i would have to do a special oath infront of a judge for the legal name change, but a divocre or marriage cert is already legal name change. The only thing is because i got married in feb of this yr they had to do name check on the new name provided at interview and thats why i wasnt give Reccomended for approval because he had to check that first. But in your case you maiden name was already on your application so your were already clear, no further name check.

looking for assistance , my mom is a U.S citizen and I am a Canadian citizen is there anyway I can get my U.S citizenship through my mom. What is the process to apply for U.S citizenship

justfiled - i also got my OL on Friday!!! Very excited, oath is on the 29th. My interview was a week after you and carmello so pleasantly surprised that I got my letter this quickly. i guess really depends on how efficient the IO is.

Congrats! And you're oath date is one week before mine! I was looking for some info around here actually as to how long the oath lasts etc. The letter says 9am but from what I've read, it won't start till well after, am I right? How long does it go on for? Cafe? Can you shed some light if you're around?

thanks justfiled. my oath time is 10:30 AM - maybe that means they do an oath ceremony every 1.5hrs? I think we need Cafe's help here. Also Cafe any idea if you can take any family members with you - my wife wants to come along.

Yes family members/guests can go and no, there's usually just one oath per week. Seems they ask us to go there much before the actual thing. My letter says 9am but I read the oath doesn't begin till 11. I wonder if my guest can come later or if she has to come with me. She'll fall asleep waiting for 2 hours. Where is your oath? Mine's at Pearl Street. I think judging by your time, yours is at Cadman Plaza probably? I think the oath there begins at 11.30-ish but I could be wrong.