New York City - N-400 Timeline - Naturalization Experiences

Dear Friends

Here is my update on my interview. I turned up at Garden City DO early. Went in, got my invitation letter stamped and then went upstairs to wait to be called. About an hour later got called by the Officer, went to his office and was sworn in. The officer was professional, methodical and put me at my ease. It was actually enjoyable to finally get to this important event. We went through the N400 application. I was asked the following questions from a print out:
1. For how long do we elect a senator?
2. If the President and Vice President cannot serve, who becomes President?
3. How many Justices on the Supreme Court?
4. What did the Declaration of Independence do?
5. Name one Indian tribe?
6. I cant remember
Then had to read and write a brief sentence about Columbus Day. Then signed the forms and photos.

The officer then congratulated me and shook my hand. I think he could tell how proud, relieved and excited I was to have passed. It was really nice to finally meet the people behind the service. The officer was great, a real professional. It was a really positive experience after all the stress and frustrations of the seemingly unending wait for the GC and N400 process. It really felt like an important event.

I waited about an hour and got my oath letter scheduled for May 4. Then I will be done.

All in all, one of the happiest moments of my life.

Good luck to all. I wish you as much joy and relief.

N-400 (Five years)
PD: November 27, 2009
Fingerprint completed : December 27, 2009
Case updated transfer to local office: March 3, 2010
Interview letter received: March 9, 2010
Interview scheduled: April 8, 2010 Garden City
Oath scheduled: May 4, 2010 Brooklyn

NY Interview Experience

I and my wife had an interview on April 5; it was scheduled for 10.25 am for both of us. Called in by the IO at 11 am; my wife was interviewed by the same IO at 11.30 am.

IO appeared to be following rule of law - word by word, question by question.

He was so fast in speaking that even I could not fully understand all his questions and for some of the questions I had to ask him "can u please say it again" and even after requesting him to be little slow, he did not bother. I passed the tests but he could not take a decision because of two long absences of more than six months during the last five years. I provided him all the documents and he retained some originals and some copies. He seemed to be satisfied but did not say anything. He gave me a letter saying that I passed the test but "Decision will be communicated by USCIS later". To cover my wife's absences, he agreed to use the same set of documents for her file also.

In the case of my wife, she did pass the civic and history test. But on the questions from N.400 application, she could not understand his pronounciation and questions because of his very fast speed. While she was thorough to answer any question in 'No' or 'Yes' form, she could not really understand his questions properly. Additionally he started asking questions about the meanings of certain specific words like 'deportation', citizenship benefits, violence, overethrow of the government any proceedings pending etc. He was very particular in asking each and every question with me as also my wife.

In the case of my wife, he later came out and told me that while she was okay with regard to writing and reading english, but she could not understand and very poor in english speaking and he said he cannot pass her. He gave June 14 for re-examination of english test.

While waiting in the hall prior to the interview call, we did meet other applicants from India - some ladies and old gentlemen like me and asked them how they were interviewed. All of them passed except in one case, one lady did not bring her marriage certificate (being a marriage case) and she was asked to send the marriage certificate and in her case she was given the letter of congratulations but "Decision cannot be made" because of marriage certificate. All of them said that while the pronounciation was certainly foreign to them, but the IOs were speaking so slowly and even repeating once or twice to make the applicant fully understand the questions properly and not all the questions were asked - only few selected (rather easy to understand) questions were asked. My wife, in my view, was better prepared than at least one other oldlady whom we met (and she passed) but my wife was failed in english test.

I was told to wait for the decision which will be sent by mail in due course. When I asked how much time it should take, he said six to eight weeks.

Not a good experience - difficult IO and very particular in ensuring that he interviews as per the law. In my case one of the questions asked was "what is rule of law" and I said "everybody must obey the law".

nri107

Based on the discussions at the forum that it is easier to have the name change through this process (which is easier and faster) rather than doing it later, I did request the IO to allow change in my name. I requested him that I would like to delete my middle name (being so big) or to use only initial instead of the middle name. He did not agree at all saying he cannot do this. I tried to show him page one of N.400, he did not budge. He said he will go strictlyi with the name I use on my Indian Passport. I showed him the Green Card and the Driver Licence and both showed only Initial of middle name saying that when USCIS had agreed to allow use of initial in Green Card then why not he for the purpose of US Passport. He said I can do this later through the court process after getting US Passport. I did not like to argue more with him at the cost of annoying him. But it appeared he did not know the rule or procedure. He said I should have first got my name changed on my Indian passport if I was to ask for change in US Passport. I left at that.

Can anyone suggest that I should write a letter to USCIS requesting for change of name on the above basis without complaining about the IO but making this as a new request. I would request the advice of this forum on this point. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Oath Letter

Yah, it looked new. I did a walk-in today. It went great!

Did they ask you to wait for the Oath Letter or did you say you would wait for it? Is this a normal? I had my interview at Federal Plaza in Manhattan, and the officer just walked me out saying I will receive my Oath Letter in 4-6 weeks.
Thanks
Sag

Dear Friends

Here is my update on my interview. I turned up at Garden City DO early. Went in, got my invitation letter stamped and then went upstairs to wait to be called. About an hour later got called by the Officer, went to his office and was sworn in. The officer was professional, methodical and put me at my ease. It was actually enjoyable to finally get to this important event. We went through the N400 application. I was asked the following questions from a print out:
1. For how long do we elect a senator?
2. If the President and Vice President cannot serve, who becomes President?
3. How many Justices on the Supreme Court?
4. What did the Declaration of Independence do?
5. Name one Indian tribe?
6. I cant remember
Then had to read and write a brief sentence about Columbus Day. Then signed the forms and photos.

The officer then congratulated me and shook my hand. I think he could tell how proud, relieved and excited I was to have passed. It was really nice to finally meet the people behind the service. The officer was great, a real professional. It was a really positive experience after all the stress and frustrations of the seemingly unending wait for the GC and N400 process. It really felt like an important event.

I waited about an hour and got my oath letter scheduled for May 4. Then I will be done.

All in all, one of the happiest moments of my life.

Good luck to all. I wish you as much joy and relief.

N-400 (Five years)
PD: November 27, 2009
Fingerprint completed : December 27, 2009
Case updated transfer to local office: March 3, 2010
Interview letter received: March 9, 2010
Interview scheduled: April 8, 2010 Garden City
Oath scheduled: May 4, 2010 Brooklyn

Did they ask you to wait for the Oath Letter or did you say you would wait for it? Is this a normal? I had my interview at Federal Plaza in Manhattan, and the officer just walked me out saying I will receive my Oath Letter in 4-6 weeks.
Thanks
Sag

i received the interview appointment together with a document checklist and have some questions about the interview.

do i have to bring my wife to the interview?
we don't have her original birth certificate and so her original passport would be required? or can i bring photocopies of it?

thanks for the advice and good luck to all!

N400 (3yrs-marriage)
New York, NY
01/22/10 (001): Mailed N-400
01/25/10 (004): Received (by USCIS)
01/29/10 (008): Check Cashed, NOA
01/30/10 (009): NOA in mail
02/01/10 (011): RFE
02/02/10 (012): FP ND
02/05/10 (015): FP in mail
02/17/10 (027): FP
02/17/10 (027): Request to resend RFE (originally mailed on 02/01/2010 but never received on my end)
02/23/10 (033): Non-delivery of RFE notice
03/02/10 (040): Interview Letter
03/04/10 (042): Case moved to local office
04/09/10 (078): Interview with Immigration

Hey - Did you get your oath letters?

Hello All,
I ve been reading this forums for months. I never seen NYC thread so quiet. It's like everyone is on hold. I got cancellation of my interview 2 months ago and nothing since then. anyone else got interview cancellations at 26 Fed plaza? This thread has a lot of oath letter delays as well recently. just wanted share my thoughts.

Hi santa-vik,

I had my citizenship interview on April 6 at the Federal Plaza and just received my oath letter yesterday. The oath ceremony is scheduled to take place on May 14.

Hello All,
I ve been reading this forums for months. I never seen NYC thread so quiet. It's like everyone is on hold. I got cancellation of my interview 2 months ago and nothing since then. anyone else got interview cancellations at 26 Fed plaza? This thread has a lot of oath letter delays as well recently. just wanted share my thoughts.

Hello All,

It is indeed extremely slow in NYC. Many applicants filed in Feb or March in other DOs have received IL and NYC is not moving.

Waiting for Oath letter

Hi! all,

Am beginning to get impatient (I know I shouldn't)! It has been a month since my interview (23 March), and the DO had said that the OL would be sent out within month.... I guess things are slow at the Fed plaza....

Seems like others who had interviews after me have received their OL.... What gives???

Hope you are all enjoying the lovely spring weather...
01/19/2010- FP appointment date
02/03/2010- FP Done (Walk in) as was away until 02/03
02/21/2010- Interview Letter received
03/23/2010 - Interview pased -- New York Federal Plaza Office
??? -- Oath Letter
??? -- Ceremony
??? -- Passport received

It is indeed extremely slow in NYC. Many applicants filed in Feb or March in other DOs have received IL and NYC is not moving.

Don't worry--I had my interview at Federal Plaza on Feb 25 and just got my oath letter today! WOOOHOOOOOO!!!!! I'm so excited to be so close to the end of my immigration journey. Can't wait to have my US passport in hand!

My IO said the letter would be mailed to me in 4-6 weeks, and it has been 8 weeks since my interview. The letter is dated April 9 though.... I'm pretty annoyed that it took so long to be mailed to me. I actually phoned USCIS on April 20 to ask the status and they told me nothing had changed, and it was too soon to make any inquiry. They also refused to let me speak with a second level officer. But, since the letter is dated April 9, it's pretty clear that a decision HAD been made and they should have told me that it was on it's way to me--I bought a plane ticket that I've had to spend a lot of money changing now! Anyway, I don't really care that much--I'm just so relieved to have a date for my ceremony. As soon as I can, I'm going to make an appointment with the passport agency for the same date, and will hopefully have a US passport by Tuesday, May 11 so I can travel on Thursday, May 13. FINGERS CROSSED!!

213 days after sending in my application, I will become a US Citizen. Way longer than most people have to wait, but I guess I get to live in NYC. :)

Don't worry--I had my interview at Federal Plaza on Feb 25 and just got my oath letter today! WOOOHOOOOOO!!!!! I'm so excited to be so close to the end of my immigration journey. Can't wait to have my US passport in hand!

Congrats, joanne26. That is a wonderful news! 7 months is just unacceptable. There is really no logic to how USCIS works.

Hope you get your passport done and enjoy your trip!

seee that's my problem right there..how is that acceptable oath letter printed april 9th getting to you april 22nd? they could ve mailed that to japan or sth during that time..back and forth..but, guess what it was sitting in the mailing room all that time..stuff from NBC gets to me in two days max..

DO - New York City

02/23/2010 N-400 mailed, TX
02/26/2010 Received Date
03/03/2010 Priority Date
03/23/2010 Finger printing notice received
04/13/2010 Finger print done

seee that's my problem right there..how is that acceptable oath letter printed april 9th getting to you april 22nd? they could ve mailed that to japan or sth during that time..back and forth..but, guess what it was sitting in the mailing room all that time..stuff from NBC gets to me in two days max..

thanks for all the kind words!!

I completely agree with you--a letter dated April 9 arriving on April 22 is really unacceptable. Especially because I called on April 20 to ask what the status of my application was, and no one would tell me ANYTHING, even though clearly a decision had been made and the officers should have been able to give me that information. I almost want to ask USCIS to pay for the second airline ticket change fee that I have had to pay (almost $500)--if they had sent the letter when it was written then I wouldn't have had to change it twice! The sad thing is as an immigrant, all I want is to get my naturalization certificate and my passport--I don't want to rock the boat at all and jeopardize my application. And we are all in that boat, which means USCIS can do whatever they want.

So frustrating... I hope that you all don't have to wait as long as I did!

thanks for all the kind words!!

I completely agree with you--a letter dated April 9 arriving on April 22 is really unacceptable. Especially because I called on April 20 to ask what the status of my application was, and no one would tell me ANYTHING, even though clearly a decision had been made and the officers should have been able to give me that information. I almost want to ask USCIS to pay for the second airline ticket change fee that I have had to pay (almost $500)--if they had sent the letter when it was written then I wouldn't have had to change it twice! The sad thing is as an immigrant, all I want is to get my naturalization certificate and my passport--I don't want to rock the boat at all and jeopardize my application. And we are all in that boat, which means USCIS can do whatever they want.

So frustrating... I hope that you all don't have to wait as long as I did!
The date on the letter is not necessarily the date USCIS put it in the mail. April 9th was a Friday and USCIS tends to bulk mail things once a week. So if they had missed the mail cutoff date that week, the letter would only be mailed the following week, hence the April 22 delivery.
As for "the officers should have been able to give me that information", you had spoken to a customer representative, not an IO. Customer reps don't have the system access required to tell if your certificate was sent. If you had spoken to an IO, they would have told you your certificate was sent.

The date on the letter is not necessarily the date USCIS put it in the mail. April 9th was a Friday and USCIS tends to bulk mail things once a week. So if they had missed the mail cutoff date that week, the letter would only be mailed the following week, hence the April 22 delivery.
As for "the officers should have been able to give me that information", you had spoken to a customer representative, not an IO. Customer reps don't have the system access required to tell if your certificate was sent. If you had spoken to an IO, they would have told you your certificate was sent.

Even if they missed the mail cut off for the week ending on April 9, I should have received it before April 23. If they only mail once a week, it looks to me like they missed the mailing date the following week too, meaning the letter sat on someone's desk for at least 10 days before it was sent.

As for the conversation with the customer service person, I tried to get them to allow me to speak with a tier 2 officer and they flat out refused this. Someone must have known that there had been movement in my case, and if the customer service reps are unable to provide this information, then they should be able to transfer you to someone who can. To me, that is unacceptable. I have wasted $500 on ticket change fees because of this system.

Even if they missed the mail cut off for the week ending on April 9, I should have received it before April 23. If they only mail once a week, it looks to me like they missed the mailing date the following week too, meaning the letter sat on someone's desk for at least 10 days before it was sent.

As for the conversation with the customer service person, I tried to get them to allow me to speak with a tier 2 officer and they flat out refused this. Someone must have known that there had been movement in my case, and if the customer service reps are unable to provide this information, then they should be able to transfer you to someone who can. To me, that is unacceptable. I have wasted $500 on ticket change fees because of this system.
The letter is dated April 9, so receipt 2 weeks after it is dated is an acceptable business practice. You may think it was just lying around for 2 weeks, but there's more to it than that.
As for the person refusing to transfer your call to an IO, that is not uncommon. There have been several successful methods discussed on this forum on how to get transferred to an IO by the representative-obviously you didn't use them.
But I understand your frustrations of having to first wait for the letter and then being refused to be transferred to an IO to get the information you needed.
No need to worry about it anymore as you are done dealing with USCIS. Congratulations!

7 months is a long time especially for an impatient person like me,im from brooklyn ny, just send in my application on 19th and im already impatient . i just hope that they speed things up in ny.