New York City - N-400 Timeline - Naturalization Experiences

way too excessive days for study abroad, come to think of it, if you spend 900 days " studying abroad" I m sorry but that doesnt add up to me, it sure doesnt add up to an IO as well. what institution lets you study abroad more than 2 years? generally speaking, I dont think you can meet residency requirements in any institution with that. I m not judging, dont take it wrong. IO may have thought about those things..

Cafe,

Don't worry too much, wait for the IO to make a decision. Remember, since the interview, each time you have worried, did your situation regarding your interview change? I bet not, there's nothing worse that can happen to you. Like you said, "indians look after each other", and I am sure in the end, she might see things your way. If your application is rejected, then you can invest in some good lawyering, to appeal and seek to overturn their decision or have a review. For now, get some naan bread, tandoori chicken and rice, don't forget some mango lassi and wash your worries away....lol!!!

I agree with all your comments.

Yes, I did cut it close and there was a big chance of extra scrutiny. By studying abroad, I don't mean I did so as an exchange student for 6 semesters. My first 2 were as an exchange student. This was in 05-06. Then, once I was here finishing my undergraduate degree, I decided a little too late to go to graduate school, but I missed the deadlines and didn't take the GRE on time, so my professors encouraged studying abroad. Of course, I knew it was a risk, and I spoke to CIS about and they gave me guidelines, similar to the ones you all gave me here.

Bobsmyth, thanks so much for the fax#. Definitely a bonus for me. I will fax over documents as soon as I have them.

As for the 900 or 913 days, CIS says half of 5 years, but doesn't provide details, so one has to figure out those details, which is what I did. I cut it close, but I don't feel I was duping the system. The system and guidelines are there, and I made sure to work within those limits. If I was arguing for something after I went over the limits, I think that would be different. I found a couple of immigration lawyers who do define the physical presence requirement as 913 days, so I will try to get them to help me.

But, again, this is my own doing, and I have to do my best to convince the IO. Thanks for your comments.

As for the 900 or 913 days, CIS says half of 5 years, but doesn't provide details.

Here's what the federal regulation states:

8 cfr 316.2(a)(4)

Has been physically present in the United States for at least 30 months of the five years preceding the date of filing the application..

Well, again, a month is not a fixed period. And so as physical presence is defined as time spent IN the US and not as the allowed time OUTSIDE the US, even if a month is assumed to be 30 days, then I was present in the US for 919 days, which is slightly over 30 months. What I mean is that it isn't fully defined, and my interpretation of it is NOT wrong, and they cannot say it is.

Hello all, I had a interview on Thursday in Garden City, everything was fine except that I have not "Status Information Letter", (I did not register before 26) On interview my IO Requested to provide this letter to the Garden City and leave it at the downstairs of the window. She said if I get and bring this letter to Garden City My case will be accepted. Today I send Request for Status Information Letter. What do you think about this? How long will I have to wait for this letter? When I give this letter to Garden City, how long I have to wait for an answer from imigration about decision?

Hi Everyone,

I posted something similar befere but haven't had any replies so far.. checking in again...

I got interviewed 2 weeks ago in Federal Plaza, IO said I ll get the decision in mail, nothing in mail so far..

Anyone waited for decision in mail? am I gonna get decision letter first then oath letter if approved or oath letter only? What is the typical time after interview period?

Shared experiences and information appreciated..

Hi Everyone,

I posted something similar befere but haven't had any replies so far.. checking in again...

I got interviewed 2 weeks ago in Federal Plaza, IO said I ll get the decision in mail, nothing in mail so far..

Anyone waited for decision in mail? am I gonna get decision letter first then oath letter if approved or oath letter only? What is the typical time after interview period?

You should just go and get yourself a cheese burger every time you think about your approval letter from USCIS. In most case, it might take 30 days to hear from the IO on your case, unlike American Express, Visa and Discover, decision doesn't take 2 weeks and a credit card in your hand. You are worry too much about this issue, the IO told you if you submit the letter, then your case is approved, so why are your worrying? Worrying is a powerful drug for people who want to shorten their lives...lol!!!

fed plaza interview decision not received yet

Hi Everyone,

Even I am in the same situation now for 75days.was interviewed at fed plaza. What was the reason given to you to wait?

nothing, no reason, IO didnt tell me approved or denied. it's out of processing range as of now , I m going in for infopass next monday.

Even I am in the same situation now for 75days.was interviewed at fed plaza. What was the reason given to you to wait?

Hi All,

I filed my n400 in June 2010 and completed the FP on July 14th but haven't received anything on inerterview yet. Anybody submitted in June and received an interview letter?

Thanks

Ironsmith
I summited my application in may as you see on my Signature below im still waiting on interview letter! Your from New york right? New York is the slowest DO, all we have to do is wait and its a waste of time calling USCIS because you are still within the normal processing time of 5 months.

I went down to the Federal Plaza for infopass today, I told the officer that I got interviewed already and I m out of processing range which is 5 months now and my application has been submitted 8 months ago, the representative told me that I m in a process where security clearance kicked in, he said that it could be anything like stopped at the airport and got the luggage checked(which happened to me once, nothing happened) or my name popped up somewhere and agencies are writing memos to each other about me, or random check..

the result is : nothing..

anyone waited after interview like this.. please share..

I went down to the Federal Plaza for infopass today, I told the officer that I got interviewed already and I m out of processing range which is 5 months now and my application has been submitted 8 months ago, the representative told me that I m in a process where security clearance kicked in, he said that it could be anything like stopped at the airport and got the luggage checked(which happened to me once, nothing happened) or my name popped up somewhere and agencies are writing memos to each other about me, or random check..

the result is : nothing..

anyone waited after interview like this.. please share..

Hmm... honestly, New York City DO.. Let me tell you a true story from my cousin: It took him 3 years to get oath. Yes, he did not care, until he was applying for a government job. In every inquiry, he got the same answer: security clearance. And he finally sued them and the U.S. Attorney told him that his file was "lost" when the I.O. who interviewed him left USCIS.

I strongly suspect this is just their B.S....

Signature updated
Got a SMS and email at about 4;30 am saying that my case has been transferred to local office,At least i see some movement in NYC ,

Congrats.

I have faxed the additional documents requested to the DO. I also sent them by post in case some of the fax copies are difficult to read. Let's see what happens. I might still get a lawyer to intervene.