New York City - N-400 Timeline - Naturalization Experiences

Hello everyone, just completed the fingerprinting at Varick Street.

06/9/10 N-400 Sent
06/18/10 Check Cashed
06/14/2010 PD
06/21/2010 NOA Received
6/22/10 RFE notice sent
6/28/10 FP notice received
7/14/10 FP done
YL received ?
Case transferred to DO ?
IL received ?
ID ?

Hi Ironsmith,

Our PD is the same. I received my Yellow letter 2 days ago, but it just says to bring my drivers licence or ID to the interview.

Hello everyone, just completed the fingerprinting at Varick Street.

06/9/10 N-400 Sent
06/18/10 Check Cashed
06/14/2010 PD
06/21/2010 NOA Received
6/22/10 RFE notice sent
6/28/10 FP notice received
7/14/10 FP done
YL received ?
Case transferred to DO ?
IL received ?
ID ?

Hi Washeightsguy,

Well I did make an appointment for July 23rd, but I got my letter today. I will be sworn in on July 30th at the Federal Plaza. I hope you got your letter too? I know we were interviewed on the same day, so maybe we might be sworn in on the same day. I would go and get some advice from a lawyer, I don't think it would hurt.

I have a lawyer but he is based in Midtown. Try up in Washington Heights, but I doubt your find an immigration lawyer up there. See if you can get a free consultation somewhere. Doesn't have to be the very best, they just have to know their stuff.

Keep me posted and in the mean-time I shall cross my fingers for you.

Shoshie
Hi Shoshie,

Any news from infopass?

I made one on June 23 to inquire about my case. At that point it was 91 days since my interview (at the end of which the officer had given me a form with "congratulations, you have been recommended for citizenship" marked on it and said that it would take less than a month for the Oath letter). I was told my application was in the "reverification stage" -- they gave me a form in which they wrote that. I have not heard anything since. I must say I am beginning to get quite frustrated.

At what point should I get a lawyer I wonder. Any suggestions ?

Washeightsguy

PS. At least the infopass appointment was quick -- I walked in downstairs and they gave me the ticket to go up to the 3rd floor and I was called in five minutes. (appointment at 12.10 p.m. on a Wed.).

Mbetona,

I haven't received the yellow letter, not even sure if I will receive it or not. I understand that some do and some don't.

N-400

N-400 application Track
07/23/2010 (0) : Aplication sent to Lewisville Tx (Via Fedex)
07/26/2010 (3) : Application Delivered to Lewisville TX
07/30/2010 G1145 Confirmation Notice via email and SMS
08/24/2010 FP Done.
02/09/2011 : Interview Date
04/04/2011 : Re-Interview
06/11/2011 : Supervisory reveiw completed
07/01/2011 : Placed in Que for Oath Date
07/11/2011 : Oath Letter
08/05/2011 : Oath Date
xx/xx/2011 : Passport Applied
xx/xx/2011 : Passport Received

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Everyone,

I had my first interview on second week of June 2010 in Fed plaza. IO was really mean. He didnt really care I was there. He barely talked or greeted me. He took his time with staples on my files, fixing, re-fixing and throwing crooked staples one by one to the garbage by moving his chair back and forth, ....by whistling smootly. Then he tested me. I passed it. After that he started asking question on the application one by one back to back, didnt really care I answered yes or no which I couldnt, because he was really going fast, I was trying to squeeze my answers when I had a chance. Application questions were over. Then he didnt ask anything about anything, no marriage, no work, no tickets, nothing. Then he went on me by saying "why isnt your name on the lease?, you and your wife frauding your landlord? you are under oath you just said on the application you never committed any crime or offense which you didnt get prosecuted(or sth like that)" then I said only no sir. Then he asked me what I brought for evidence for my marriage. I had everything, lease(on my wife's name), bank accounts(joint and individuals), health and car insurance, credit card statements, more and more. I gave them to him. However, he didnt want to look at them. pushed them back. and said nothing. He went back to the computer and printed a paper asking documents which I already had with me basically. I said to him I have those with me. But he didnt wanna listen. He took me out of the room and send me to the window to take my re-interview date. I got the second interview letter from the window and left heartbroken.

Re-interview was today. I got to Fed plaza 7.00am. The line was short. And people on the line was mostly constuction workers for the building, I figured from the conversations in front and behind me. I got to the famous 7th floor, it was literally empty. It was just me, it was freaky. Then 2 more people came after me. That was it. I went ahead and rang the bell, a lady showed up took my letter, same IO came to pick me up 5 mins later.

He was same mean guy. He was mumbling about every document which I figured he was gonna deny me for pleasure. He even challenged IRS transcripts by claiming that they are not transcripts, saying that it is 2 pages long blah blah blah, I said I didnt make that much last year and I dont have a complicated situation with my income( I think he expected to see, boats, stocks, etc,..) I didnt understand what the hell was wrong about statements, IRS transcripts, etc., I had them just like everyone else. Then he asked me if I got a letter from the landlord. I told him no and explained to him that we had one of the worst management companies in the city it took me 10 days to have contact with them. And they refused to give me such letter by saying they dont even know me and they have to contact their lawyers and get back to me which never happened. That's what I told IO. As soon as I finished explaining he started screaming at me "if you live there they have to give it to you thats not possible... blah blah blah..." I said I m sorry and I shut up. He stood up and said you'll get my decision and took me out and showed me the elevators.

I am so pissed..I can not believe this guy is working for US government..All my excitement is gone, probably he will get me denied..He shouldnt be making a living like that..That's all I know..

Hi Everyone,

I had my first interview on second week of June 2010 in Fed plaza. IO was really mean. He didnt really care I was there. He barely talked or greeted me. He took his time with staples on my files, fixing, re-fixing and throwing crooked staples one by one to the garbage by moving his chair back and forth, ....by whistling smootly. Then he tested me. I passed it. After that he started asking question on the application one by one back to back, didnt really care I answered yes or no which I couldnt, because he was really going fast, I was trying to squeeze my answers when I had a chance. Application questions were over. Then he didnt ask anything about anything, no marriage, no work, no tickets, nothing. Then he went on me by saying "why isnt your name on the lease?, you and your wife frauding your landlord? you are under oath you just said on the application you never committed any crime or offense which you didnt get prosecuted(or sth like that)" then I said only no sir. Then he asked me what I brought for evidence for my marriage. I had everything, lease(on my wife's name), bank accounts(joint and individuals), health and car insurance, credit card statements, more and more. I gave them to him. However, he didnt want to look at them. pushed them back. and said nothing. He went back to the computer and printed a paper asking documents which I already had with me basically. I said to him I have those with me. But he didnt wanna listen. He took me out of the room and send me to the window to take my re-interview date. I got the second interview letter from the window and left heartbroken.

Re-interview was today. I got to Fed plaza 7.00am. The line was short. And people on the line was mostly constuction workers for the building, I figured from the conversations in front and behind me. I got to the famous 7th floor, it was literally empty. It was just me, it was freaky. Then 2 more people came after me. That was it. I went ahead and rang the bell, a lady showed up took my letter, same IO came to pick me up 5 mins later.

He was same mean guy. He was mumbling about every document which I figured he was gonna deny me for pleasure. He even challenged IRS transcripts by claiming that they are not transcripts, saying that it is 2 pages long blah blah blah, I said I didnt make that much last year and I dont have a complicated situation with my income( I think he expected to see, boats, stocks, etc,..) I didnt understand what the hell was wrong about statements, IRS transcripts, etc., I had them just like everyone else. Then he asked me if I got a letter from the landlord. I told him no and explained to him that we had one of the worst management companies in the city it took me 10 days to have contact with them. And they refused to give me such letter by saying they dont even know me and they have to contact their lawyers and get back to me which never happened. That's what I told IO. As soon as I finished explaining he started screaming at me "if you live there they have to give it to you thats not possible... blah blah blah..." I said I m sorry and I shut up. He stood up and said you'll get my decision and took me out and showed me the elevators.

I am so pissed..I can not believe this guy is working for US government..All my excitement is gone, probably he will get me denied..He shouldnt be making a living like that..That's all I know..
Did you get the IO's name? Consider filing a complaint with USCIS regarding his behavior. Filing such a complaint will not affect the adjudication of your case.

So sorry to hear about your terrible experience

OHhhh this sounds like the Hell i went through!!!!!!!!!!
hang in there pal, but take an advice do not file a complain - i did and i got denial letter last year - this will just make things worst. Just wait for the decision and see what happens. Even if you file a complain and explain the situation do you think that they will take your word against the officer? I mean you are the one seeking to be naturalized???? I am sorry but this is just my opinion based on my experience! You can read about my posts and see my situation it was a long story but ended with happy ending. I filed an appeal last year went through interview again, fingerprints blah blah blah and i finally got my oath notice. So i won my case after they denied me - i proved them wrong. I wish you to not get in to my situation and hopefully you will get the oath letter in few weeks!!! Good luck and do not forget to call customer service from time to time to check on your status - always ask to speak to level 2 customer service!!!!!!
Good Luck

yes I know his name. I dont wanna waste my time on him, I have tons of things to do, it's better I move on..

you are right, it's not gonna affect the case, not to mention there's nothing wrong with the case, I had pretty usual stuff, there's nothing to deny me, I hope that his supervisor(s) will balance him out, I am sure his superiors are aware of what he is. I believe I m gonna get the oath ceremony letter in mail in a week or two..we'll see..

Did you get the IO's name? Consider filing a complaint with USCIS regarding his behavior. Filing such a complaint will not affect the adjudication of your case.

Hey guys, I never got my IL in the post. I called CIS and they faxed it to me, though. But, there's a stamp on it saying it isn't an original and will be accepted at the discretion of the receiving party, so hopefully they'll take it at my interview next week.

Hey guys, I never got my IL in the post. I called CIS and they faxed it to me, though. But, there's a stamp on it saying it isn't an original and will be accepted at the discretion of the receiving party, so hopefully they'll take it at my interview next week.

You can also schedule an InfoPass and have them print one out for you.

I don't think there's time since my interview's next Tuesday. I mean, I have the fax cover letter showing it was from CIS, so they should know it's legit, no? Does the original interview letter look like the biometrics appointment, with the watermark and special paper and all?

I don't think there's time since my interview's next Tuesday. I mean, I have the fax cover letter showing it was from CIS, so they should know it's legit, no? Does the original interview letter look like the biometrics appointment, with the watermark and special paper and all?

yes, IL looks same as the FP letter, with watermark....

Hi Cafeconleche,

Well , my IO challenged the IRS Transcripts(genuine IRS docs with tracking numbers, all that stuff on there written) I brought to the interview, He said " these are not IRS certified", I said they are from IRS, he said no again and offered me to go across the street(IRS) get from there and come back. I declined. I didnt and dont really care less if they were from God Damn Mars.!!! And the security guard called me "hey you".. What the hell is going on down there?

So be careful out there, anything can happen, this is New York City..

Well, I'm going to Garden City. I called CIS and they said they fax ILs all the time, and that they're accepted. By the way, what can I take with me? My Blackberry? Laptop? What's not allowed in Garden City? Thanks.

Well, I'm going to Garden City. I called CIS and they said they fax ILs all the time, and that they're accepted. By the way, what can I take with me? My Blackberry? Laptop? What's not allowed in Garden City? Thanks.

Electronic devices are allowed at the Garden City office. While waiting for my interview, I played games on my cell phone. A few other people were using their laptops. Granted, I interviewed 2 years ago, but I doubt much has changed.