New York City - N-400 Timeline - Naturalization Experiences

Thanks for your kind reply to my message. Yes, was aware of the physical presence. I am a pilot, I get lots of stamp every time I arrive in a different countries. So, in past five years I have three extended passport filled with stamps in and out. When I applied I did not have track of exact days I was out. It is all complicated, just because nature of my job. Which requires for me to travel a lot out side of the states.
For frequent travel, it's best to keep a spreadsheet with all the travel dates. If this isn't possible or you have forgotten the dates, then you can file a FOIA request with CBP requesting all your exit/entry dates.

Hi Guys,

I want to apply for citizenship. I have 7 trips outside US total of 362 days. I never passed a 6 month period outside US but for this year I have only 3 days inside US.
Do I meet their requirements? If I am travelling abroad again will I loose my green card? For the last time entering the US the IO yield on me that I am outside of US and I will loose my green card if I meet one year. I do not really understand why? I do not overstay any time. My longest stay was 4 months. How many time can I stay outside for a 6 month period? What if I leave again after I sending the N400?
Please guys who know the answer help me out. Than ks.

I had an update from the Plaza last week.....they are behind in processing OL's. However, I am going in there at the end of the week to pick up my letter. Hoping for a July 2nd swearing in!

DO: NYC (queens)
-----------------
06/7/10 N-400 Sent
06/11/10 Delivered
Check Cashed ?
PD ?
NOA Received ?
RFE notice sent ?
FP notice received ?
FP scheduled/done ?
YL received ?
Case transferred to DO ?
IL received ?
ID ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I had my appointment this afternoon at Garden City and passed.

I was there about an hour early and pleasantly surprised by how empty it was. It took no time from clearing security, checking in and then to the waiting area for my name to be called. About 30 minutes after my appointment time, my name was called and I was interviewed by a guy who was very professional and seemed to know all questions on N-400 by hearts. He could ask me questions listed on N400 while checking other sections. He asked me if I had filed taxes. I showed him my W-2 but he said they could not prove that I had filed taxes. I had prepared tax transcripts so he was glad to have them. I had many short trips oversea and he actually looked through my passports to check the stamps with the list on the form. This seems to take most of his time during the interview.

Then, he asked me to sign photos, N-400 and a sheet of my information. Finally, it was the test. After the test was finished, he handed me the form (N-652) (congratulations! your application has been recommended for approval....) and asked me to wait downstairs for my OL. The interview process took about 15 minutes and the wait for my OL took a bit less than an hour. It was smooth - even no traffic on I-495. I am happy to receive the oath letter right away scheduled for July 8 in Brooklyn and don't have to wait for it in the mail.

Good luck to everyone who is still in the process and good life to everyone who has done!!

Cheers, man. Congratulations. I hope I get my IL next week. I checked processing times, and it seems New York is now taking about 7 months, so I'm a bit peeved. But, glad to hear yours went well. Was your case straightforward? I don't remember.

Cheers, man. Congratulations. I hope I get my IL next week. I checked processing times, and it seems New York is now taking about 7 months, so I'm a bit peeved. But, glad to hear yours went well. Was your case straightforward? I don't remember.

Thanks!! I hope you get your IL soon. If my timeline can tell something, your case will get transferred any day now. Hanging there. If all goes well until Oath is done, mine takes about 5 months. I think my case was straightforward - 5 years. Good luck and looking forward to hearing good news!

Money order Cashed

-----------------
06/7/10 N-400 Sent
06/11/10 Delivered
06/16/10 Check Cashed
PD ?
NOA Received ?
RFE notice sent ?
FP notice received ?
FP scheduled/done ?
YL received ?
Case transferred to DO ?
IL received ?
ID ?
Last edited by jesshe; 14th June 2010 at 10:26 PM.

It seems like I am two days behind you.

06/9/10 N-400 Sent
06/18/10 Check Cashed
PD ?
NOA Received ?
RFE notice sent ?
FP notice received ?
FP scheduled/done ?
YL received ?
Case transferred to DO ?
IL received ?
ID ?

Hello Folks,

My Parents have applied for Citizenship from NY based on 5 year residence. Their priority date is 1/16/10. FP were taken on 2/18/10 and Interview was conducted on 5/18/10 at Federal Plaza in downtown Manhattan.

According to my parents Immigration Officer was very nice and polite. He interviewed my parents individually with more or less same questions. Both passed English and U.S Civic Test. At the end, he gave them a form with a check mark on "A Decision cannot yet be made" and told them individually that they will hear back in one weeks time. It has been over one month and there has been no response. My parents are naturally getting anxious. I would appreciate if anyone can shed some light on this delay and recommend any options available to my parents at this time?

06/9/10 N-400 Sent
06/18/10 Check Cashed
06/14/2010 PD
06/21/2010 NOA Received
RFE notice sent ?
FP notice received ?
FP scheduled/done ?
YL received ?
Case transferred to DO ?
IL received ?
ID ?

No Oath letter yet -- suggestions for info pass appointment?

HI kfr and all,

I had my interview on March 23, got "recommend for naturalization" marked on the form, the officer was very friendly etc (see previous posts). And am still waiting for the oath letter. I made an appointment on May 20 to find out why it was taking so long. The woman at the counter said I just had to wait for the letter everything else was done. Now a month later, I have yet to receive it-- officially more than 90 days now. I read somewhere that they are supposed to close the case within 60 days of the interview is this correct? I have another appt tomorrow at Federal plaza, NY. I'll find out more tomorrow.

If any of you have any suggestions as to what I should ask, please let me know before 10 a.m. EST.

best

V

Hello Folks,

My Parents have applied for Citizenship from NY based on 5 year residence. Their priority date is 1/16/10. FP were taken on 2/18/10 and Interview was conducted on 5/18/10 at Federal Plaza in downtown Manhattan.

According to my parents Immigration Officer was very nice and polite. He interviewed my parents individually with more or less same questions. Both passed English and U.S Civic Test. At the end, he gave them a form with a check mark on "A Decision cannot yet be made" and told them individually that they will hear back in one weeks time. It has been over one month and there has been no response. My parents are naturally getting anxious. I would appreciate if anyone can shed some light on this delay and recommend any options available to my parents at this time?

06-07-10: N-400 Sent
06-11-10: N-400 Received in Dallas, TX
06-16-10: Check cashed
06-23-10: NOA Received / PD 06-11-10

Interviewees whose cases are processed at 26 Federal Plaza usually tend to get ILs quicker than those whose cases are processed at Garden City. If you live in Brooklyn, Queens, or Staten Island, your case will most likely be processed at Garden City. Hence the longer wait.

I live in Nasssau county, where will mine be processed?

finger printed notification received

-----------------
06/7/10 N-400 Sent
06/11/10 Delivered
06/16/10 Check Cashed
FP notice received 6/28
FP scheduled 7/15
YL received ?
Case transferred to DO ?
IL received ?
ID ?

Finally! I called CIS and an officer did a very thorough check with my A# and SS# and told me they scheduled me for an interview today. It's on 3 August in Garden City.