N-400 applied after July'07 and got Interview??

Congratulations! Humanity. Based on so much good news on the website this last week, I called USCIS Customer service today. The automated system told me that it could not find my case. I then spoke to customer service rep and she told me she could not find my case either, she transferred me to an immigration officer who told me I was placed in queue for an interview and I should recieve my interview letter any time in 30 - 90 days that is anytime from April to June..... Yippeeee!

No need to check my mail this month :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Some service centers are moving faster than others. I guess that is the good news for August and Septermber applicants

Some service centers are moving faster than others. I guess that is the good news for August and Septermber applicants

I don't think it's as dependent on service centers as much as it's dependent on DOs. For instance, 4 applicants from Newark (all with late August PDs) received ILs yesterday. Most NYC applicants (in my case, I was pretty much told not to expect an IL until early May) with similar timelines are still waiting. Both DOs are under VSC's jurisdiction.

Hi All,

Just wanted to let you know that I went for my interview in Portland, ME office yesterday. It was a pleasant process. He just went over my application and the submitted documents, gave me the tests and then said, I am approved. I should hear something within next 4-6 weeks.
Applied N-400 Dec 3, 2008
Received Interview Mar 17,2008.

Good luck to others.

I don't think it's as dependent on service centers as much as it's dependent on DOs. For instance, 4 applicants from Newark (all with late August PDs) received ILs yesterday. Most NYC applicants (in my case, I was pretty much told not to expect an IL until early May) with similar timelines are still waiting. Both DOs are under VSC's jurisdiction.

in that case which you are talking about, why do you think my case is sitting in the Service center? I understand that the interviews are coming based on the DO's availabillity of time to schedule the interview but how would you describe my case.
Officer yesterday said, my case is just sitting in service center, and he said he has no idea.

in that case which you are talking about, why do you think my case is sitting in the Service center? I understand that the interviews are coming based on the DO's availabillity of time to schedule the interview but how would you describe my case.
Officer yesterday said, my case is just sitting in service center, and he said he has no idea.

Oh, they told me the same thing. The case remains at the service center while it's in queue for interview. Once your case comes up for scheduling, an appointment is set up and the file is forwarded to your DO. It's just that some DOs have less constituents, so they have more available appointment dates.

Nimche, here is how I interpret what the IO told you yesterday. From what I understand, interviews are scheduled by the Service Center (CSC, in your case) on behalf of the DO. The Service Centers send the ILs to applicants and the file is transferred to the DO such that when you have your interview, your file is physically present at the DO. The fact that your case is still at the Service Center really only means that your interview has not been scheduled yet, or (if it has been recently scheduled) your file simply has not yet been transferred to the DO. I don't think you should interpret what the IO said as meaning you are not in the queue for an interview. You are in the queue for an interview, since your namecheck etc. has all cleared. It's just a question of when you will get to the top of the queue. We should know more in a few days once the March processing times are released.

Oh, they told me the same thing. The case remains at the service center while it's in queue for interview. Once your case comes up for scheduling, an appointment is set up and the file is forwarded to your DO. It's just that some DOs have less constituents, so they have more available appointment dates.

This is obviously true, but when you think about it, unjustifiable. USCIS keeps copious statistics, and just as they should have been able to plan for last summer's application surge, they should be able to distribute staff more equitably. If NYC processes 1000 times as many cases as Des Moines, then USCIS should dedicate the same ratio of staff (regardless of the total number available) to each DO. There's no justification from the point of view of labor availability for why there is such a discrepancy in processing times.

There are other factors of course, such as how efficiently an individual DO is managed. It can't be easy to keep all elements of the process--from receipting at the service center, to biometrics, to FBI checks, to queue placement and interview scheduling, to assessing evidence and interviewing, to oaths adminstered by the local court--in sync. One part of this process, such as biometrics, may be humming along while another, such as namecheck or availability of court dates for oaths, may be stalled.

This is obviously true, but when you think about it, unjustifiable. USCIS keeps copious statistics, and just as they should have been able to plan for last summer's application surge, they should be able to distribute staff more equitably. If NYC processes 1000 times as many cases as Des Moines, then USCIS should dedicate the same ratio of staff (regardless of the total number available) to each DO. There's no justification from the point of view of labor availability for why there is such a discrepancy in processing times.

There are other factors of course, such as how efficiently an individual DO is managed. It can't be easy to keep all elements of the process--from receipting at the service center, to biometrics, to FBI checks, to queue placement and interview scheduling, to assessing evidence and interviewing, to oaths adminstered by the local court--in sync. One part of this process, such as biometrics, may be humming along while another, such as namecheck or availability of court dates for oaths, may be stalled.

I agree, it's absolutely unjustifiable. It's also possible that VSC is very poorly managed, as evidenced by scattered placement of interviews in NYC. I do, however, think that NYC has a lot more staff than Des Moines. However, the NYC DO still seems to be in chaos.

Thank you guys for your insights.
Well, Since I love my DO I scheduled another Infopass for end of the month. Do I waste of their time? No, they have nothing else to do. Do I waste of my time? No, it is only 5 mins and it is next to my school.
Friday is close.
BTW< Happy Persian New Year to all.

Thank you guys for your insights.
Well, Since I love my DO I scheduled another Infopass for end of the month. Do I waste of their time? No, they have nothing else to do. Do I waste of my time? No, it is only 5 mins and it is next to my school.
Friday is close.
BTW< Happy Persian New Year to all.

Have you tried the trick with a fake receipt number? It's a lot more time efficient than InfoPass! :D

Have you tried the trick with a fake receipt number? It's a lot more time efficient than InfoPass! :D

I have a hard time doing fake stuff, and actually I love to see this people anyway. It is good to learn to how to deal with a government employee.

Any news from your case?

I thought since we paid more for our application, we should get an extra attention to our cases. Apparently this guys doesn't give crap about anything. What if he goes back and keep running his gardening business?

I have a hard time doing fake stuff, and actually I love to see this people anyway. It is good to learn to how to deal with a government employee.

Any news from your case?

I thought since we paid more for our application, we should get an extra attention to our cases. Apparently this guys doesn't give crap about anything.

It's not really fake. You just give the service rep a receipt number that doesn't appear online. When they tell you that they can't locate it in their system, ask to escalate your call to an IO. Works like a charm.

I spoke with an IO using the above-mentioned method on Monday, and she told me that my application was placed in queue on January 8. She said that I should expect my interview sometime in early May, with an interview date sometime in late June. My birthday is on June 25, and it would be a great present to have my interview on that day.

Also, the IO mentioned that it usually takes 5-7 months between the day you're placed in queue for interview and the actual interview date, which means that you receive an IL between 3-5 months after you're placed in queue. I'm not sure how accurate that information is, but it's something.

What if he goes back and keep running his gardening business?

Are you referring to Emilio Gonzalez?:D

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not really fake. You just give the service rep a receipt number that doesn't appear online. When they tell you that they can't locate it in their system, ask to escalate your call to an IO. Works like a charm.

I spoke with an IO using the above-mentioned method on Monday, and she told me that my application was placed in queue on January 8. She said that I should expect my interview sometime in early May, with an interview date sometime in late June. My birthday is on June 25, and it would be a great present to have my interview on that day.

Also, the IO mentioned that it usually takes 5-7 months between the day you're placed in queue for interview and the actual interview date, which means that you receive an IL between 3-5 months after you're placed in queue. I'm not sure how accurate that information is, but it's something.

Are you referring to Emilio Gonzalez?:D

That is exactly my problem. I can not wait for this. You say a Birthday gift by June 25, I want my passport by June 28th, My Birthday:D .
I will try this phone trick later, but INFOPASS is much more fun than waiting on the phone for Mr. IO to pickup.
Gonzales was really bad in math during his school time or very good.
He thought of a Formula to put a number in and he used it for Immigration.
which I found it. 4x-4= amount of time you have to wait. What he promised was the X which is 5 months. There are certain rules which paly a role in this calculation. I call them eligibility.
1) You have to be lucky.
2) You don't care if you case process faster or takes forever.
3) you have to be dumb.
4) you have to guess!

That is exactly my problem. I can not wait for this. You say a Birthday gift by June 25, I want my passport by June 28th, My Birthday:D .
I will try this phone trick later, but INFOPASS is much more fun than waiting on the phone for Mr. IO to pickup.
Gonzales was really bad in math during his school time or very good.
He thought of a Formula to put a number in and he used it for Immigration.
which I found it. 4x-4= amount of time you have to wait. What he promised was the X which is 5 months. There are certain rules which paly a role in this calculation. I call them eligibility.
1) You have to be lucky.
2) You don't care if you case process faster or takes forever.
3) you have to be dumb.
4) you have to guess!

Another Cancer, huh? It's a good sign to be, if I may say so myself!

I'd love to have my passport by my birthday, but I'll be content as long as I have it by my wedding.

No news yet?
I am still sitting here.

Joke of the day: Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist '.

It was part of whole bunch of other jokes went around the office...

No news yet?
I am still sitting here.

Joke of the day: Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist '.

It was part of whole bunch of other jokes went around the office...

Still nothing. On the brighter side of things, it appears that NYC is edging closer and closer to my PD. We'll see if my IL arrives a month from now.

Still nothing. On the brighter side of things, it appears that NYC is edging closer and closer to my PD. We'll see if my IL arrives a month from now.

That is good news, I did just check the DO timeline and no changes yet, I though they update every 15th of each month but they didn't this time.
Anyway, I have the INFOPASS next Monday, I hope I will see my case moving along.
Funny thing is I don't see alot of people here from San Diego so I can share info with them.
My assumption is my DO is not as slow as the actual Service Center, and that is why this is taking so long.

I will have my third InfoPass on this coming Monday.
I am still wonder if you guys have any more qurstions. I am going to take a copy of the email from California Service Center regarding my interview which the officer wrote in the email "if you didn't get your interview in the next 90 days, you should go to your DO" and I will see what they would say. I know the answer already.
I thought that Immigration messed up once again about fee increase which was a wrong step on their behalf to fix problems (which it wasn't really to fix problems but just to make more money before new elecation for the missing money they blew in IraQ).

I would have suggested them to create an expedition crew and charge a higher fee so they wouldn't get this much of applicant in two months. so regular N-400 would stay in the same price range and expedition would be like $700.

I am totally tired of this floating situation and what bothers me is that they don't even give a crap and don't care.