my citizenship interview experience (donnt go to COP)

In this case, this 120 period is a bolony... because applications get stuck during namecheck which occurs before interview.

You know my case history more than anyone else.... ;)

You can still sue them for excessive delays even without the benefit of the 120 day rule.

And back in 2007 and 2008 a lot of people had their interviews and then the USCIS "forgot" about their cases. The 120 day rule came in very handy.

Not "as long as they want." By law the USCIS has to decide a citizenship application within 120 days of the "examination" for the application. If they do not meet the deadline the applicant can petition a federal district court for relief. A lot of people have done this in face of prolonged delays.

Now, people who have skeletons in their closet (going to COP is one of them) they are reluctant to fight.

Thankfull: Thanks: I have been following your comments for a long time. And you have been very helpfull and knowledgable throughout the years. Thanks for your time and energy in helping fellow asylees.

If you remember back in the years, there was fierce debate over going back COP. and some members of this forum insisted it was ok to so, and they are speaking differently now. In my opinion, it is touch question to answer the question what has changed in your country since you got asylum? I fear if the petitioner goes to federal court and uscis is forced to make fast decision, they will move to deny the application and even unravel the greencard....

Thankfull: Thanks: I have been following your comments for a long time. And you have been very helpfull and knowledgable throughout the years. Thanks for your time and energy in helping fellow asylees.

If you remember back in the years, there was fierce debate over going back COP. and some members of this forum insisted it was ok to so, and they are speaking differently now. In my opinion, it is touch question to answer the question what has changed in your country since you got asylum? I fear if the petitioner goes to federal court and uscis is forced to make fast decision, they will move to deny the application and even unravel the greencard....

I have always opposed people going back to their countries of claimed persectuion.

I fear if the petitioner goes to federal court and uscis is forced to make fast decision, they will move to deny the application and even unravel the greencard....

Your fear is valid and is justified by actual experiences.

Your fear is valid and is justified by actual experiences.

so basically you are saying that if someone sues them, USCIS is more likely to deny the application due to resentment?

How can they revoke the GC at the same time? And what actual experiences are you talking about, can you cite a case?

so basically you are saying that if someone sues them, USCIS is more likely to deny the application due to resentment?

How can they revoke the GC at the same time? And what actual experiences are you talking about, can you cite a case?

It looks that I missed the debate.:D

Lazer, there are a number of those cases in each district. Remember, you have to demonstrate continued fear of persecution when GC is approved. USCIS assumes you do when they approved your case, as most of those cases skipped interview. However, if there is evidence, like you went back shortly after GC approval, that contradicts that story, yes they can revoke it. And they did in a few those cases.

Just want to add something to "Thankful"'s 120-day rule: Not every district has the same view - some clearly views that the "examination" does not equal to "interview", which means that you can not sue them even after 120 days after "interview". Yes, most districts feel the opposite way, and the 9th Circuit sided with the N-400 applicant. So, the only thing for sure is that if you live in CA, WA & OR, yes you can sue them 120-days after interview.

You still can get it one day. the worker in the USCIS are people just like us, they have feeling.

by the way feel happy some people without green card and thier dream to visit thier relatives one day. you had this chance already

Want: You are amazing man: you have been a long time member of this forum but you don't really improve. I have never seen you giving constructive advise on this forum. Here we have a fellow who has a real issue, and you are telling him that the USCIS "are just doing their jobs". And if you remember some years ago when we debated about the consequences of going back of COP, you were adamant that it was ok to go back. and now you saying they are enforcing their laws. when did you learn that this is their law? I was thinking that you gonna have a better answers when problems like this arise....

My advice has always been that if you go to COP ONLY and ONLY IF its worth to go there.. I have never said to roll out of bed and go to your COP. I was always sure about renewing your NP and still am. Going to COP..I never would recommend unless you can prove that by going there, it wouldn't have hurt you in any manner.

YES USCIS IS DOING THEIR JOBS!!! When you apply for USC, their job is to make sure that you didn't obtain your LPR by fraud or any other means. Most of the asylees who became USC that I have known..some in this forum..didnt get approved on the spot!!! Some do and some don't...

No one can offer any advice to paramvir..he has to wait for their response!

Last edited by a moderator:

Lazer, there are a number of those cases in each district. Remember, you have to demonstrate continued fear of persecution when GC is approved. USCIS assumes you do when they approved your case, as most of those cases skipped interview. However, if there is evidence, like you went back shortly after GC approval, that contradicts that story, yes they can revoke it. And they did in a few those cases.

Just want to add something to "Thankful"'s 120-day rule: Not every district has the same view - some clearly views that the "examination" does not equal to "interview", which means that you can not sue them even after 120 days after "interview". Yes, most districts feel the opposite way, and the 9th Circuit sided with the N-400 applicant. So, the only thing for sure is that if you live in CA, WA & OR, yes you can sue them 120-days after interview.

How about IL?

Windy,

Before the length of time passed between GC approval and time of COP visit becomes a factor, shouldn't it have been determined that at the time of COP visit there was no fear? Otherwise what the time passed matter?

Does COP visit automatically approve absent of fear?

I know people do all kinds of things in spite of fear. For example, soldiers fighting a war, etc.

i do not understand the question.

Oh! Windywd said that that if you live in CA, WA & OR, its easy to sue using 120days. So I was asking how about Illinois (IL). does this 120 day rule apply easily in chicago district of IL?

You know where I am going with this..... ;):p

Thankful,

I think Lazer was asking what IL district (there are actually at least two districts, I believe Chicago belongs to Northern IL) thinks about "examination" vs "review".

It is better to go to PACER and look for the rulings in your district, provided of course, there is no rulings in the Circuit Court in this area.

Thankful,

I think Lazer was asking what IL district (there are actually at least two districts, I believe Chicago belongs to Northern IL) thinks about "examination" vs "review".

It is better to go to PACER and look for the rulings in your district, provided of course, there is no rulings in the Circuit Court in this area.

This is exactly what I was after. What is PACER?
Can one of you do me a favor and look up any rulings regarding this in Northern IL district.

Also Windywd, you were questioned a lot also during your Naturalization interview because of your visits to COP. Can you offer some healthy suggestion to Paramvir1 and his attorney how to handle this?

This is exactly what I was after. What is PACER?
Can one of you do me a favor and look up any rulings regarding this in Northern IL district.

Also Windywd, you were questioned a lot also during your Naturalization interview because of your visits to COP. Can you offer some healthy suggestion to Paramvir1 and his attorney how to handle this?

PACER is the electronic docket system for the federal courts.

Lazer,

At this moment, I will say as long as going back to COP does not render your original asylum claim ridiculous, you should be approved maybe a little bit later.

My situation is a bit different from many of you, since the condition of my COP changed and it changed after my GC approval. They don't have problem if your COP condition changed. The IO did question how come I renewed my NP but that is less a problem for them. He just being a little nasty and I honestly did not feel like fighting for this when I was preoccupied with other stuff than immigration matters.

Last edited by a moderator:
ksam ! Can I ask you the basis of your above statement? which country are you from and what makes you think your countrymen are not fake asylees?
My birth country is INDIA ... I grew up there and did schooling/work at different parts of the country ... very peaceful and friendly people all around (a vast majority of them anyway)

I know a couple of people with similar stories and heard a lot more and in most cases the story is the same ... claiming "grave threat to life" and other bull here ... For geo-political or other unknown reasons US grants asylum ... one day they will realize!

may I assume you are from India too ...

Lazer,

At this moment, I will say as long as going back to COP does not render your original asylum claim ridiculous, you should be approved maybe a little bit later.

My situation is a bit different from many of you, since the condition of my COP changed and it changed after my GC approval. They don't have problem if your COP condition changed. The IO did question how come I renewed my NP but that is less a problem for them. He just being a little nasty and I honestly did not feel like fighting for this when I was preoccupied with other stuff than immigration matters.

Hey you Attorney types on this forum, can you please do me a favor and lookup PACER for any court cases from Nothern IL for such cases that we are having a discussion about.

Thankful? :)