Misc. OCI Application Questions

That is correct - adult PIO holders pay $25 for OCI whereas minor PIO holders have to pay $145.

Earlier there was a possibility to get a minor's OCI by paying $185 for PIO and then getting OCI for an additional $25 (total cost for minor OCI going this route was $210 vs. $275 for direct OCI application). they have since woken up to that loophole and plugged it.

and to cover loss by doing $185 + $145 = $330 verus $275 for direct Adult application .. ha ..ha ..

and to cover loss by doing $185 + $145 = $330 verus $275 for direct Adult application .. ha ..ha ..

Come on. They are not making much money.

275 one shot should be compared to 300 in 2 installments since it is more work, and usually miscellaneous services cost USD 25.

And miscellaneous service would just copy visa from old passport to new passport. In this case, there is the PIO card also in the mix. Is that a separate passport like document - I forgot.

Sometimes I feel that I was better off on PIO vs. the OCI which is nothing but a pain in the ***
Why is OCI tied to the passport and PIO not ?
PIO is also valid for 15 years I believe.
That is long enough.

So everytime you or your kids have a passport change (let alone nationality change like myself) you have to get new OCI
and put up with massive wait times !!

Ridiculous !!

PunetoNJ.

OCI Miscellaneous Services >> Where are stickers printed ?

I already have OCI (U sticker and book)
I need to get these on my new passport (U.S. passport)
When I apply for miscellaneous services, is the sticker and booklet supplied through CGINY or are the documents printed in Delhi and dispatched here ? Because if they're printed in Delhi, the entire process would take much longer I guess.

Thanks.
PunetoNJ.

So everytime you or your kids have a passport change (let alone nationality change like myself) you have to get new OCI

I thought if you are willing to carry your old passport, you don't need to get new OCI.

Sometimes I feel that I was better off on PIO vs. the OCI which is nothing but a pain in the ***
Why is OCI tied to the passport and PIO not ?
PIO is also valid for 15 years I believe.
That is long enough.

Seems like no advantage - Unless of course you R2I, and then be able to avoid FRRO every 6 months.

That is for people in the 20-50 age group. Before or after ... you got to transfer to new passport.

Do you mean that if person is 51 years old and has OCI (got OCI when He was 51 years)and U visa in present US passport and once his/her present US passport gets expired and gets new US passport then no need of U visa in new Passport and NO new OCI booklet? Do you mean that person can take Expired US passport that has U visa and new US Passport and OCI booklet and no need of OCI miscellanies services?

Any link to official info will be appreciated so that I can provide the printout to someone who is in above situation .

Do you mean that if person is 51 years old and has OCI (got OCI when He was 51 years)and U visa in present US passport and once his/her present US passport gets expired and gets new US passport then no need of U visa in new Passport and NO new OCI booklet? Do you mean that person can take Expired US passport that has U visa and new US Passport and OCI booklet and no need of OCI miscellanies services?

Any link to official info will be appreciated so that I can provide the printout to someone who is in above situation .

See #3 and #4 in https://passport.gov.in/oci/guidlinesmisc.pdf

I think akgarg has provided you the reference. However, I think your statement and my statement are exact opposite. I am saying you do not need to transfer if between 21-50. You seem to indicate there is no need to transfer if over 50. Maybe it is just english, and anyway akgarg has provided the reference which clarifies.

Thanks for the link

3.OCI registration certificate and visa have got to be re-issued by availing this service, each time a new passport is issued up to the completion of 20 years of age and once after completing 50 years of age.

4. Re-issuance of OCI registration certificate and visa is not mandatory, each time a new passport is issued between 21-50 years of age. However, if the applicant wishes to avail this service, he/she can apply for the same.
**Does it mean who got first time OCI at the age of 51 years he/she need to Get again the OCI and U visa in new US passport? (The person will be 60 or 61 when he/she gets New US passport)

Thanks for the link

3.OCI registration certificate and visa have got to be re-issued by availing this service, each time a new passport is issued up to the completion of 20 years of age and once after completing 50 years of age.

4. Re-issuance of OCI registration certificate and visa is not mandatory, each time a new passport is issued between 21-50 years of age. However, if the applicant wishes to avail this service, he/she can apply for the same.
**Does it mean who got first time OCI at the age of 51 years he/she need to Get again the OCI and U visa in new US passport? (The person will be 60 or 61 when he/she gets New US passport)

Actually, the way it reads is ONCE after you turn 51. This implies they want to take care of change of appearance between 20-50 and make sure they have the new pics (purely my reading). However, ONCE implies that if you have a new sticker at age 51, you do not need to go again.

I think it is a bit ambiguous - best will be to talk to MHA and get clarified. But that's easier said than done.

I think if one gets First time OCI and U visa After age 51 then no need of New OCI book and no need of new U visa in new passport and one can go with Expired passport that has U visa+new Passport+ old OCI book. They did not make it clear.

Tourist Visa while OCI application pending

Hi,

Our OCI application is pending, and we have a feeling that this wont get done before out travel date. When I checked the Indian Visa requirements, I was shocked to see the same day visa is only for US born US citizens and for all others it might take 1 - 2 weeks for processing!!!

Can anyone share their experiences with tourist visa application while OCI pending in SFO?

Thanks a lot

Last edited by a moderator:
Did not think it was legal to discriminate on citizens based on birth or naturalization....

Did not think it was legal to discriminate on citizens based on birth or naturalization....

Exactly what I thought when I read this - https://indiavisa.travisaoutsourcing.com/guidelines?id=1

Processing Time:
US Citizens born in the US

* In Person Applications - Same day visa applications for US citizens born in the US must be submitted in person to the Outsourcing Office between 9:00am and 11:00am. You will need an appointment that is selected at the end of the online application form. Pickup for same day applications is between 5:30pm and 6:00 pm. We do not guarantee the visa will be issued same day. Applications received after 11:00am will have the visa issued the following working day for non-reference cases.
* By Mail Applications - Applications sent by mail for US citizens born in the US take about 5 working/business days to process from the date of receipt. This time schedule does not apply to services where prior approval is required from authorities in India or other Indian embassies or for Non-US citizens.

Non-US citizens and Naturalized US citizens
US citizens who require a reference and all Non-US citizens have a minimum processing time of one to two weeks, and some cases may take longer. This time schedule applies whether applying in person or by mail. Pickup for in person applications is between 4:30pm and 6:00 pm.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...urist-visa-guidelines/articleshow/5664671.cms

NEW DELHI: The government on Tuesday said it was ready to revisit the new guidelines issued for granting tourist and conference visas if there were genuine grievances.

Union home secretary G K Pillai said the government has received a number representations requesting it to reconsider the revised guidelines.

"Government makes rules, government makes regulations which may not be correct. But in a democracy there is a system, we correct ourselves if a mistake is made. If error is made, we correct them," Pillai was quoted as saying by a news agency. He was addressing a seminar on "Thought Policing or Fighting Terror: Home Ministry's Curbs on Foreign Scholars".

Pillai told reporters later, "We have received a number of representations (on conference visa) and we are examining them. This is under consideration."

According to the revised guidelines for conference visas, prior security clearance from the home ministry is required in respect of participants from Afghanistan, Bangladesh, China, Iran, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Iraq, Sudan, foreigners of Pakistani origin and stateless persons.

Referring to restrictions imposed on issuing tourist visa, Pillai said the government was open to amend any rules if there was any "mistake".

He, however, wondered how many of the six million genuine tourists, who visit India every year, would like to come back to India within 60 days.

"Six million tourists come and go. How many of them come within 60 days? Possibly not even 0.1% of the total number," he said.

The recent guidelines on tourist visas stipulate a gap of at least two months between two visits to India.

Pillai said the government was ready to examine if any genuine tourist is harassed following the new guidelines. "If the problem is of that 0.1%, we are ready to see how best that can be corrected. Government is willing to see how best the problem of that 0.1% people is solved. But no decision can satisfy all people," he said.

OCI Fee clarification

Hello,
I am planning to apply OCI for my family. We do NOT have any PIO cards. So for each applicant we need to pay $275. This is the same fee for adult and kids? Please confirm.

Thank you.