Misc. OCI Application Questions

In the family application, I mistakenly included my spouse's information (he is an Indian citizen) on the application. His fields were required too (with the *) so I just filled it in.

Now I see I have been issued three online numbers - one for me, one for my spouse, and one for my son.

Can I just send in Part A/Part B for myself and my son and ignore my husband's Part A that I filled out online?

I forget the actual rules for spouse entry, but you are not in any kinda problem. The application is NOT final until received. You can re-enter the data, generate new application numbers and mail this set out. The old application will never be seen by anyone.

Generate new application with Part A and B. you will get new number on form then mail the new forms.

I think you can simply send the part A that pertains to you and your son along with the part B. Part A is the actual application.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nationality Change and OCI

Friends,

I recently became a U.S. citizen. Should receive the passport soon.
I already had OCI (I wasn't an Indian citizen before but had another nationality)
Can I continue to use my OCI sticker on my previous passport (non-U.S.) along with the OCI book ?

This can cause somewhat confusion at an airport in the U.S. though where one is meant to exit the country using U.S. passport. At the airport, can I show the other passport with the previous OCI sticker ?
But wouldn't they ask me why I'm carrying two passports ?

Or is it best to get the OCI transferred to the new U.S. passport ?

What is the exact procedure for this ?
indiacgny.org is not very clear on this.

Thanks.

PunetoNJ.

Friends,

I recently became a U.S. citizen. Should receive the passport soon.

I already had OCI (I wasn't an Indian citizen before but had another nationality)
----- how did you got OCI??
Can I continue to use my OCI sticker on my previous passport (non-U.S.) along with the OCI book ?

This can cause somewhat confusion at an airport in the U.S. though where one is meant to exit the country using U.S. passport. At the airport, can I show the other passport with the previous OCI sticker ?
-------when you go out of US they dont see your OCI at US Airport. You have to show OCI wnen reach India.

----- you have to explain. you should post your full info.
Or is it best to get the OCI transferred to the new U.S. passport ?
------Ask the Indian Consulate in US.
What is the exact procedure for this ?
indiacgny.org is not very clear on this.
-----post your full details
Thanks.

PunetoNJ.

-----------

Thanks for the response Ginnu.

Ok, here goes:

----- how did you got OCI??

I have a British Passport. Am Indian by origin and am residing in the U.S.
Because of my Indian origin, I got OCI.

So basically my OCI 'U' sticker is on my British Passport.
All I need to do is get it transferred it to my U.S. passport (since I became a U.S. citizen recently)
U.S. and Britain don't care about dual nationality so I can continue to keep both British and U.S. passports.

Question is do I need to do this at all ? Since I can continue to use the U sticker on my British Passport, correct ?
In the long run however, I thought it would be best to get the U sticker transferred to my U.S. passport which would mean I don't have to carry two passports unnecessarily.

Thanks again.

PunetoNJ.

#1. What is the issue with carrying 2 passports? Why should someone question (except for curiosity) the # passports you hold? It is all legit.

#2. Why are you supposed to exit with US passport? I thought the requirement was to leave US and enter US with US passport. What you do in Delhi airport, Mumbai Airport, Dubai airport or Hongkong airport ... is your business ... except for airline passenger data, you can always ask them to scan your US passport, but let the immigration officers see your OCI stamp in british passport.

Think of the alternative. You get your OCI sticker transferred to US passport. Now you are leaving for London from New Delhi. Which passport would you show?

Thanks all for your responses.
Sanjoseaug20, I was also thinking on your lines.
However since I left the UK quite some time ago and am settled in the U.S.
I thought it would be best to have the OCI sticker on the passport I'm most likely to use.
I just thought that the immigration authorities in Mumbai might get all freaked out if they saw two passports and start creating unnecessary hassles/issues. Upon entry and exit, would they stamp two passports showing the arrival/departure stamps ?

However since I need to leave for India during first week of June, and my U.S. ppt has still not arrived, I'm not sure whether my miscellaneous OCI request (i.e. stamping the OCI sticker on my U.S. ppt) would be done by the first week of June. So I guess for now it is best to use the OCI sticker on my British ppt.

PunetoNJ.

If you were a British citizen(with OCI) who happened to be taking a flight directly to the US. It would be the same to indian immigration authorities. So I dont think this should be a problem.

The thing to make sure is that you have to enter the US using the US passport and not the british passport.

This does present the logistical problem of carrying both passports when travelling to india. But the plus side to it is if you travel a lot to india, all the stamps will be on the british passport and you will not have to request additional pages on the US one :)

The only complication I see is that if you use your British passport to board a flight to US, you will be expected to have obtained ESTA electronic visa to US. I am not sure how it gets verified though.

Vip1r,

You got your ppt and ppt card in one day ?
I guess you had requested urgent 1 day service ?

Thanks.

PunetoNJ.

The only complication I see is that if you use your British passport to board a flight to US, you will be expected to have obtained ESTA electronic visa to US. I am not sure how it gets verified though.

I think we need more Triple Citizens on these forums. The existing TC can't get OCI as far as I know. But he might have comments on which passports he uses getting in and out of Pakistan. [ I know OCI is not citizenship. Just sayin... ]

NKM,

If I am leaving for the U.S. from India, I won't use my British ppt for boarding the flight. I would show
my U.S. passport. This is at the check-in stage. At the immigration counters though, there would be a confusion. They would want to stamp
my British passport with the OCI stamp in there since it was the British passport they would have stamped
upon arrival in India (again, since it had the OCI U sticker), otherwise they would question how was I let into India without a valid Visa.
Therefore, at the departure immigration counters in India, I might have to show both passports and get both of them stamped.

PunetoNJ.

PIO to OCI price change ?

It seems that conversion from PIO to OCI now costs $145 instead of the previous $25.

Just wondering when this happened.

PunetoNJ.

I believe it is still 25$ for Adults but :)

That is correct - adult PIO holders pay $25 for OCI whereas minor PIO holders have to pay $145.

Earlier there was a possibility to get a minor's OCI by paying $185 for PIO and then getting OCI for an additional $25 (total cost for minor OCI going this route was $210 vs. $275 for direct OCI application). they have since woken up to that loophole and plugged it.

Last edited by a moderator: