Misc. OCI Application Questions

Is there a way to check OCI status online?

Thanks for pointing in the right direction. We applied in SF.

Just of US PP and trying to apply for OCI and stumped at question 16 in part-b

Q 16: Does the country of applicant(s) permit dual citizenship in some form or the other? Yes/No
If No, give specific details

What is the answer?

Just of US PP and trying to apply for OCI and stumped at question 16 in part-b

Q 16: Does the country of applicant(s) permit dual citizenship in some form or the other? Yes/No

------Yes. If you are US citizen then answer is YES
If No, give specific details

What is the answer?
---Yes

----

Form in above link is NOT needed. once you apply OCI you attach the copy of Indian passport with passport number. Your Indian passport gets cancelled and MHA in Delhi update the record with Indian passport number that you are not Indian citizen and that data is available to India immigration officer at Indian airports and FRRO, Indian Passport offices and they can see that you are no more Indian citizen.

OCI form dilemma

Here is my dilemma...

I applied for my US PP yesterday. I will potentially get it by 2nd/3rd week of March'10. My wife's oath is scheduled
on Mar03. Even if she applies for US PP on the very same day, she is likely to get it not before end of MAR'10.
Option1:
I could wait till the end of Mar and then apply for OCI for me, my wife and my minor son (US citizen by birth) in the family category.
Option2:
Alternatively (to save some time) may be I can apply for me and my son in the family category and wife can apply in the individual category later on? If that is possible, then in the part A, the spouse information seems to be mandatory. One of the line items is spouse's passport info. She doesn't have her's yet, so what do I need to fill in there? Is there any alternative to filling part A of the form on-line? or does the form allow me to put "N/A" when filling out the wife's information?

Which option would be better to go with? I have tentative plans to travel to India in Sep'10. But I am hesitant to even plan for the trip specially since OCI thing seems to be totally bhagwan bharose:D and not well laid out w.r.t time. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
speedy

Its not a mandatory that everybody got to apply at the same time and same type of Visa - do at your schedule
either you can apply for Visitor visa first or PIO (more money) and then OCI when you get a chance
BTW Sept 10 is way ahead and stop worrying

I applied for my US PP yesterday. I will potentially get it by 2nd/3rd week of March'10. My wife's oath is scheduled
on Mar03. Even if she applies for US PP on the very same day, she is likely to get it not before end of MAR'10.
Option1:
I could wait till the end of Mar and then apply for OCI for me, my wife and my minor son (US citizen by birth) in the family category.
Option2:
Alternatively (to save some time) may be I can apply for me and my son in the family category and wife can apply in the individual category later on? If that is possible, then in the part A, the spouse information seems to be mandatory. One of the line items is spouse's passport info. She doesn't have her's yet, so what do I need to fill in there? Is there any alternative to filling part A of the form on-line? or does the form allow me to put "N/A" when filling out the wife's information?

Which option would be better to go with? I have tentative plans to travel to India in Sep'10. But I am hesitant to even plan for the trip specially since OCI thing seems to be totally bhagwan bharose:D and not well laid out w.r.t time. Any suggestions?

You can apply together. Things do not seem to be so dire for you. Six months is enough time and there are things you can do to reduce your pain
#1. Get US passport same day for your wife - could save you 1-3 weeks - it requires 60 dollars more, and needs to show plane itinerary, plus a visit to PP office, but the work is done in a 1-2 days.
#2. I guess there is no number 2. Get passport as fast as you can ... even if you do it thru post office. Then file OCI immediately. WIth Bhagwan's support, you will get it April, if not in May-June.

I would personally prefer to track a single package ... although there is a minor chance they process each case independently, it is very remote.

EDIT:ADD: Worst come worst, you can take an Indian visa 1 week before you need to travel

Last edited by a moderator:
new u.s. citizen

Hello.

I was sworn in 2 days back and have sent for a US passport (expedited service) through Houston.

My question is... do I need to wait to receive US passport in hand, before I begin the OCI process?

Thanks!

OCI question

I will become USC in next 2 months. My son is USC(2 yrs old) and has PIO card. My wife will have a GC once I become USC.

When I applied for PIO for my son, it said if his parents are indian passport holders, he cant apply for OCI.

My question is - Can I apply for OCI for my son once I become USC(along with my application for OCI) though my wife will still be Indian passport holder ?

I will become USC in next 2 months. My son is USC(2 yrs old) and has PIO card. My wife will have a GC once I become USC.

When I applied for PIO for my son, it said if his parents are indian passport holders, he cant apply for OCI.

My question is - Can I apply for OCI for my son once I become USC(along with my application for OCI) though my wife will still be Indian passport holder ?

your understanding is correct -

Yes, at least one parent should be non-Indian - as per the requirement.

Mistakenly included Indian Spouse on application

In the family application, I mistakenly included my spouse's information (he is an Indian citizen) on the application. His fields were required too (with the *) so I just filled it in.

Now I see I have been issued three online numbers - one for me, one for my spouse, and one for my son.

Can I just send in Part A/Part B for myself and my son and ignore my husband's Part A that I filled out online?

Thanks in advance!

Hi - I am in the process of applying for OCI for myself and my family. I am wondering how to apply for the OCI for a minor child who's parents are separated. My husband and I have been separated for over 8 years and I don't know his whereabouts. My son who is 14 yrs of age falls under the minor category and as such I would need to apply for his OCI under my application. But how can I complete the Part A for family option (myself + my son) without having my spouse's passport #, place of issue, date of expiery etc.? I would probably also need a copy of my spouse's old indian passport, US passport etc. all of which I do not have since we have no way of getting in touch with him. I have been trying to get in touch with someone from the Indian embassy consulate office in NY and have emailed/called many diff contacts from Houston, Chicago, Washington and Houston offices but no one seems to be responding to my queries. Can someone please advise as to what to do in my situation for applying for minor child's OCI by completing the Part A in the family option correctly? Appreciate the help.
Thanks,
Hema

Hema, in the application, when you select family form, just enter information for yourself and your minor child. You can leave the spouse section blank (just clear out the address that is pre-filled for you in the spouse section). It will then generate two Part A's for you (for yourself and your son) and one Part B. No spouse information/fields will be referenced anywhere.

Transfer of OCI to India

Dear Forum'ers

We have applied for OCI (DO : Washington DC) However we need to travel to India sooner than planned.. In this case, how can I transfer my application to India? (we plan to go for 1 year or so)...

Also, in the application they are asking us to notarize the copies of originals.. How do I notarize a copy? the notary indicated they dont do as such.

Thanks

I dont think at any stage the local consulates/embassy have control over redirecting the OCI applications to india.They just get the fees and doa visual check of the application before sending it in batch to delhi for photo scan and approval.

I plan to send my new born son to india this april, and knowing the current processing times where I can barely make it before april I still went ahead and applied in Feb.Even if I get approved I will wait for my son to come back in september and send passport for stamping.
I plan to apply for indian visa in april if the oci process is not complete by then.

Also regarding notary, all other indian consulates ask for self attestation and thats what I did for my kids passport/birth certificate ,parents indian passports,us passports etc

If you plan to go for a long trip to india you can apply at your local FRRO office and Iam sure that should get done well before the time period you plan to return !!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Forum'ers

We have applied for OCI (DO : Washington DC) However we need to travel to India sooner than planned.. In this case, how can I transfer my application to India? (we plan to go for 1 year or so)...
---------- if you apply OCI through Embassy of India Washington DC then after approval of OCI they are NOT going to send/Transfer it to India or to your India address. one has to collect in US or can get mailed to your US home address. If NOT applied then you can apply from India . If you apply from India it will take 3-4 months.
Also, in the application they are asking us to notarize the copies of originals.. How do I notarize a copy?the notary indicated they dont do as such.
---------------Every bank has notary in branch you can go to your Bank or any Notary they can do it and Notary may not do the Birth Certificate. If you are not applying OCI in USA no need to get notarized in US. when file from India do that in India

Thanks
---------------