Misc. OCI Application Questions

In CGI San Francisco I didn't have to send my Indian passports again since they were already canceled. Include a cover letter mentioning this and also include a copy of the first 2 pages of Indian passports (inner cover with photo, next page which should have the "canceled" stamp)

Arranging the documents for family OCI.

- cover letter with mentions of no mailing fee
- certified check
- Additional photographs for each applicant

- Set 1*
- first applicant part A, and all copies of supporting docs
- spouse part A, and all copies of supporting docs
- first minor part A, and all copies of supporting docs
- second minor part A, and all copies of supporting docs
- Part B

- Set 2*
- Part B

Is this ok?

- cover letter with mentions of no mailing fee(write that you will send when OCI reach Consulate)
- certified check for FEE$XXXX (for 4 persons)
- Additional photographs for each applicant in envelpes with name and registration number on envelope Attached with each Application Part A SET 1

- Set 1*
- first applicant part A, and all copies of supporting docs+ PartB
- Part B
******Extra Photographs attached for each application in envelops and envelops attached with Part A of Each.
- Set 2*
- first applicant part A, and all copies of supporting docs+part B
- Part B

Is this ok?
-----That is OK but remember you are dealing with Indian consulate and you know how they work.

Greetings,
OCI approved and docs recd at CGINY on Feb 6th.
My Indian passports have been already cancelled, do I still have to send them along with the US passports ?

My Indian passports have been cancelled, as I recently traveled to India with Indian visas, and they had cancelled our Indian passports.
----------when you got Visa for India they cancelled your Indian passport. attach the copy of Indian passport with cancelled stamp and explain on cover letter.
Someone with similar experience please reply.

Regards.
nkm-oct23 is correct and follow what he/she wrote.

Check again. Use a different browser. Check paper size (A4 vs US Letter).
In my case, it moved the last question on page 1 (as I recall) to the next page. It was not immediately obvious since I was trying to troubleshoot the 1st page itself. Finally figured out that they reformatted. My case was 6 months ago and their program might have changed, and your issue might be different, but check these aspects again.

Check again. Use a different browser. Check paper size (A4 vs US Letter).
In my case, it moved the last question on page 1 (as I recall) to the next page. It was not immediately obvious since I was trying to troubleshoot the 1st page itself. Finally figured out that they reformatted. My case was 6 months ago and their program might have changed, and your issue might be different, but check these aspects again.

Actual the numbers does reset though - looks like they dropped it based on US registration :)

Did u send the indian passport with the initial OCI application or with the US passport at later stage?

Was there any form to be attached?

GC_Mangta,

I had my Indian passports cancelled before and hence as soon as my OCI documents reached DC, I mailed them my US passports with photocopies of my Indian visa. I did not mail them cancellation pages of my Indian passport nor did I mail them my Indian passports.

I received my US passports with the U visa and OCI booklet this morning.

Hope that helps.

Send the indian passport when OCI reach Indian consulate and they will cancell the indian passport and return to you. No form is needed to renounce Indian Citizenship.

Are you sending the indian passport copies for both yourself and the minors or just once copy per set? I am applying for myself, spouse and 2 mnor kids. Here is what I plan to do..

myself - form A + US pp copies + indian pp copies + photo pasted + name change certificate copy + copy of DL
spouse - form A + US pp copies + indian pp copies + photo pasted + name change certificate copy + copy of DL
kid-1 - form A + US pp copies + us birth certificate + photo (do we need to include our indian pp copies? just mine or that of my spouse too)
kid-2 - form A + US pp copies + us birth certificate + photo (do we need to include our indian pp copies? just mine or that of my spouse too)One part B for the whole family.

Another set of the above.

fee - one certified check of $1100. I plan to go collect the OCI from NY consulate, so no mailing fee.

Express mail USPS ( I guess Priority mail is not accetped?)

- cover letter with mentions of no mailing fee
- certified check
- Additional photographs for each applicant

- Set 1*
- Part B

- Set 2*
- Part B

Is this ok?

Are you sending the indian passport copies for both yourself and the minors or just once copy per set? I am applying for myself, spouse and 2 mnor kids. Here is what I plan to do..

myself - form A + US pp copies + indian pp copies + photo pasted + name change certificate copy +Form B
spouse - form A + US pp copies + indian pp copies + photo pasted + name change certificate copy + Form B
kid-1 - form A + US pp copies + us birth certificate + photo (do we need to include our indian pp copies? just mine or that of my spouse too) Send the copy of your Indian passport and your wife passport.[/B]
kid-2 - form A + US pp copies + us birth certificate + photo (do we need to include our indian pp copies? just mine or that of my spouse too) Send Copy of your indian passport and your wife Indian passport.
One part B for the whole family. if you attach Copy of form B with Kids Applications nothing is wrong. You and your wife both need to Sign form B

Another set of the above.
--------- in second set dont forget to attach what is in first set.
fee - one certified check of $1100. I plan to go collect the OCI from NY consulate, so no mailing fee.
**** on form A at this time they need 51X51cm Photographs[/B
]Express mail USPS ( I guess Priority mail is not accetped?)
-------- Who told Priority mail is not accetped? Baap ka Raaaj hai kiya? Priority mail IS accetped.

-------

Thanks for the clarification. Both the NY consulate website and immihelp.com website says express mail. I guess they mean some kind of registered mail.

I think you are contradicting yourself... one Form-B irrespective of the number of form-A. Only adults sign. Minors thumb impression.

Hi - I am in the process of applying for OCI for myself and my family. I am wondering how to apply for the OCI for a minor child who's parents are separated. My husband and I have been separated for over 8 years and I don't know his whereabouts. My son who is 14 yrs of age falls under the minor category and as such I would need to apply for his OCI under my application. But how can I complete the Part A for family option (myself + my son) without having my spouse's passport #, place of issue, date of expiery etc.? I would probably also need a copy of my spouse's old indian passport, US passport etc. all of which I do not have since we have no way of getting in touch with him. I have been trying to get in touch with someone from the Indian embassy consulate office in NY and have emailed/called many diff contacts from Houston, Chicago, Washington and Houston offices but no one seems to be responding to my queries. Can someone please advise as to what to do in my situation for applying for minor child's OCI by completing the Part A in the family option correctly? Appreciate the help.
Thanks,
Hema

AFAIK experts can chip in
To Apply OCI at least one parent has to be an foreign citizen of Indian origin and it never says both has to sign and validate
in this case yourself and son would do

remember it is not a must everybody in the family to do OCI but it would be nice to do all together

Travel before applying for OCI

Hi-

Due to the 12 weeks approval time for getting the OCI and I (not the family) have to travel a bit early to India, can I just apply for a tourist visa and then apply for the OCI card when I'm back? Here's what I plan to do:

1) Send the Indian Passport for cancellation (myself+spouse) since it's a mandate
2) Apply for the 6-month Tourist visa (myself only)
3) Travel to India and send the application for wife & kid's OCI
4) Return from India and apply for my OCI

Will there be any trouble in applying after a travel? Any advice/input is welcome. Thanks a lot!

Best!

How longyou plan to to be in india ?
If it is less than 2-3 months time you can as well apply for OCI which nowadays takes 2-3 months timeline
So by the time you return back you can get approved and send the US passport for U-Visa stamping ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

Thanks for the reply; planning to be there for 10 days. Let me check the documents list for both tourist visa and OCI; and make sure there are no overlaps and go this route. Thanks again!

Best!

How longyou plan to to be in india ?
If it is less than 2-3 months time you can as well apply for OCI which nowadays takes 2-3 months timeline
So by the time you return back you can get approved and send the US passport for U-Visa stamping ?

Hi,

Iam planning to send my new born kid to india in april so I took chance and sent the OCI application in Feb 1st week thinking it may take at max 2 months.
If I dont get OCI done Iam planning to take i ndian visa and send them to india.Meanwhile OCI would get over and when they return back I can send my kids passport to stamp for OCI