Misc. OCI Application Questions

The problem is that MHA, just like any other dept in Indian govt is busy with money making, politics etc. Customer service is a distant second, if that. These procedure and forms are designed by much lower rung people who have no idea nor do they care. The bureacrats are ok with these procudures as it generates revenue. There are so many improvements that could be made to the process itself. The submission, handling, tracking and the end product that is OCI/"U" sticker. We have the best software engineers but the govt does not make use of them properly.

But things could be worse. I have a chinese friend who told me that China does not have a concept of long term visa for the chinese. The visa expires in a year and has to be taken fresh when needed. Also they cannot do a mail in of application; it has to be submitted by person, regardless of where they stay and picked up in person after a week. Imagine a guy residing in Ohio or Maine doing that in NY consulate.

Yea, I agree things could be worse but will that be an excuse to not make ourself better.
We shouldn't be comparing with China for its a communist country.
I am also surprised to learn that Indian Consulate are giving much harder problems in UK. Like, you need to surrender passport and pay fee to get a surrender certificate. They don't even return cancelled passport back. It takes more than a month, and then only one can apply OCI.
I am wondering it may happen here also.

Yes,they can stick on to the rule for showing U visa and the PP but since PP is renewable and OCI card is permanent, kind of a premanent U visa can be issued at a higher cost(for the willing) , which can be placed in OCI card .
So now, it satisfies both --requirement at Indian POE(you are not following all rule here) and releives the burden of re-sticking U visa of PP Holder.
Why can't a win-win approach can not be adopted?Always the world shall be for improvement of things that is where they found OCI(misnomer 'C' in that)as an improvemnt to exist one's

Last edited by a moderator:
Whatever, just forget about this, and carry your expired passport with the visa. Why pay to have the damn thing transferred when it's just as valid as long as you show it.

When ever I go anywhere, I carry all possible identity documents. The writer of article forgot to take his passport, and now making fuss about it. I agree that OCI card itself should act as VISA but till the time that comes to effect, we should carry both as required by Indian regulations.

Things can be a lot better at MHA, Indian consulates but I can very well say one thing, things have improved a lot over the years. I will congratulate Indian government on that.

Part B - question #22 clarification

22. Details of family members, who are staying in India, if any.

Do I specify the parents details who live in india here? What about siblings? Or this question asks about immediate family of spouse/kids only?
FYI, I am applying OCI for myself and spouse

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi,

My spouse & I have just became US citizens, and will be applying for OCI. Our kid was already US citizen, and PIO holder. Can we apply for OCI together?, or should spouse & I get OCI first, and then convert kids's PIO to OCI?

I read that many folks are self-attesting the copies documents i.e. US and Indian passports. What about the copies of documents that I am going to send for kid's application? I can self-attest them, or should they be notarized, or should they be thumb-printed?

Btw is there consensus on how many photos to send to NY consulate? TIA.

22. Details of family members, who are staying in India, if any.

Do I specify the parents details who live in india here?
----- you can provide info of Parents OR Brothers or Sisters, Or uncle
What about siblings? Or this question asks about immediate family of spouse/kids only?
-----They ask for any Family member. write name of one family member , Relationship and address.
FYI, I am applying OCI for myself and spouse
----- write your Father or Mother name and address.Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-----

Hi,

My spouse & I have just became US citizens, and will be applying for OCI. Our kid was already US citizen, and PIO holder. Can we apply for OCI together?, or should spouse & I get OCI first, and then convert kids's PIO to OCI?
Apply for all together in one package.
I read that many folks are self-attesting the copies documents i.e. US and Indian passports. What about the copies of documents that I am going to send for kid's application? I can self-attest them, or should they be notarized, or should they be thumb-printed?
I self attested all documents instead of notarizing. Thumb print for kid is only on the application..

Btw is there consensus on how many photos to send to NY consulate? TIA.

Send 4 extra in an envelope.

Important Facts and OCI NY Time line

To begin with, it is very important that you send complete information correctly and don't forget to send your proof of residency, which could be either your utility bill or driver's license. They don't mention it and application would be sent back after a month and a half. It's quite a time killer. Mine went through after 4 months of waiting and below is a timeline.

Application Sent by UPS - January 07, 2010
Application Rejected & Returned - February 12, 2010
Application Sent by UPS - February 15, 2010
Application Acknowledged - March 04, 2010
Photo/Signature Scanned - March 07, 2010
Registration Status Granted - March 20, 2010
Documents Printed - March 22, 2010
Documents Dispatched to Mission - March 23, 2010
After10 days of dispatch one can go to Consulate general and pick up certificate and sticker on a same day.

So, which consulate is actually doing things in about a month? SF is obviuosly lagging behind (my mom will be applying there soon, unfortunately), but NY (where I am) should be a little better, I've heard.

So, which consulate is actually doing things in about a month? SF is obviuosly lagging behind (my mom will be applying there soon, unfortunately), but NY (where I am) should be a little better, I've heard.

Something is wrong with NY. They returned many OCI applications in February 2010 and they gave the reason that applicant has not attached TWO Proofs of US residency like copy of DL, Utility bill. They never updated the site in January or February that they need TWO Proofs of US residency. When they resubmitted the applications in late Feb or March first week those Applications are still not acknowledged and they have acknowledged 3-4 applications and still many are waiting to be acknowledged. Some Babbu is missing in NY or they have some other problem. If you apply with NY expect 3 months according to current processing.

Am I eligible for OCI?

Hi,

Both my parents were born in India, and both possess OCI, Australian, and US passports.

I was born in Australia, and moved to the US. I possess an Australian and US passport. I am 26 years of age.

Since both my parents possess OCI, am I eligible for OCI myself?

Thanks.

P.S. I have read the eligibility requirements at passport.gov.in/oci/BROCHURE.pdf which states that minor children are eligible. My father assures me that I too am eligible. Instead of wishful thinking, I instead seek a second opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, your parents were born in India and therefore you are eligible. See below:

1. Who is eligible to apply?

Any foreign national,

* who was eligible to become citizen of India on 26.01.1950 or was a citizen of India on or at anytime after 26.01.1950 or belonged to a territory that became part of India after 15.08.1947, and;
* his/her children and grand children, and;
* provided his/her country of citizenship allows dual
* citizenship in some form or other under the local laws,
* Minor children of such person are also eligible for OCI.
* However, if the applicant had ever been a citizen of Pakistan or Bangladesh, he/she will not be eligible for OCI.

2. Who was eligible to become Citizen of India on 26.01.1950?

Any person who or either of whose parents or any of whose grand-parents was born in India as defined in the Government of India Act, 1935 (as originally enacted), and who was ordinarily residing in any country outside India was eligible to become citizen of India on 26.01.1950.

Hi,

Both my parents were born in India, and both possess OCI, Australian, and US passports.

I was born in Australia, and moved to the US. I possess an Australian and US passport. I am 26 years of age.

Since both my parents possess OCI, am I eligible for OCI myself?

Thanks.

P.S. I have read the eligibility requirements at passport.gov.in/oci/BROCHURE.pdf which states that minor children are eligible. My father assures me that I too am eligible. Instead of wishful thinking, I instead seek a second opinion.

You are Eligible but They will need Copy of your father or mother Indian passport Or any evidence like OCI copy of Father/mother.

Assistance filling out the OCI application

Hi,

So I've filled out the online portion of the application, and have printed out the offline section.

At around question 23, it says "I/We (blank) solemnly and sincerely declare that the foregoing particulars stated on this application are true, ..."

Then it asks you to fill in the place, and has two signatures.

What am I meant to put in for Place? USA?
Also why two signatures? Should I just sign one under my name?

Thanks.

Hm, I'm planning to arrive in India on Jun 13th. If I begin my application for OCI now, I assume it will not arrive until then. I just need to visit for about a month. For the month I plan to visit, what do you recommend? tourist visa?

This is the first time I've traveled by myself to India, and I'm not quite sure what I should do in terms of a visa.

Thanks.

Hm, I'm planning to arrive in India on Jun 13th. If I begin my application for OCI now, I assume it will not arrive until then. I just need to visit for about a month. For the month I plan to visit, what do you recommend? tourist visa?

This is the first time I've traveled by myself to India, and I'm not quite sure what I should do in terms of a visa.

Assume that you will get OCI by then. And if you do not get it in time, then apply tourist visa, which you can do 2 weeks before you need to travel.
I am not sure what your naturalization status is, but if you have a passport in hand, go ahead and file OCI tomorrow.