**likely January 2003 Interview Tracker- Chennai Consulate **

Children/Spouse info to be declared

All the children and spouse information should be entered in DS-230 Part 1. It doesn't matter if the children are US born or not. It also doesn't matter if your wife is US citizen or GC holder.

Spouse information goes in Item 14 of DS-230 Part 1.
Children information goes in Item 19 of DS-230 Part1.

Thanks.

Re: Children/Spouse info to be declared

Originally posted by cpDelhi
All the children and spouse information should be entered in DS-230 Part 1. It doesn't matter if the children are US born or not. It also doesn't matter if your wife is US citizen or GC holder.

Spouse information goes in Item 14 of DS-230 Part 1.
Children information goes in Item 19 of DS-230 Part1.

Thanks.

Thanks CPDELHI for quick response.

Further, I have seen your other post for ac140 clarification, as far as i know it is to be used only for guys who opted AOS in 140 intsead of CP and then file 824 for change to cp. then with that receipt they can go for ac140...

further, you are almost getting p3...why are u thinking of ac140 first of all??? further i think your case will not qualify for that( I am not 100% sure though).

All the best for regular CP.

Posted the message for clarification

Sri-IL,

Thanks for your clarification on the AC-140 issue. I just wanted to know why AC-140 cases had shorter waiting time to get to the CP interview.

I was also wondering if an attorney could send Packet 3 stratight to the consulate office of the individual's origin country then what does NVC-Portsmouth administrative review do with the Packet 3 for about 6 to 8 weeks after the completed Packet 3 has been sent ot them.

Q1. Does NVC-Portsmouth review provide any value to the application or they just sit on it for some time?
Q2. Why can't NVC-Portsmouth send Packet 3 immediately to the consulate office where the interview will be scheduled?

Thanks.

Re: Posted the message for clarification

No Idea..what NVC does fro review by sitting on the appliocation for 8 weeks. anyhow respective consulates have 2 months time to review the cases( atleast 1 month in some cases). Its all buerocracy.

Further, somebody can suggest to NVC to streamline packet 3 process further like this.

1. they shld send packet3 & fee bills to applicant.
2. applicant shld send fee bills to st.louis. With the copy of the fee bill and maybe with a copy of delivery confirmation( one more day delay), he shld send the form to NVC(I prefer straight to consulate).

This way the entire process takes only a week instaed of 3 months...... Maybe Mr Rajeev Khannna shld take up this advice with NVC....

sri

Sri-IL,

Thanks for your clarification on the AC-140 issue. I just wanted to know why AC-140 cases had shorter waiting time to get to the CP interview.

I was also wondering if an attorney could send Packet 3 stratight to the consulate office of the individual's origin country then what does NVC-Portsmouth administrative review do with the Packet 3 for about 6 to 8 weeks after the completed Packet 3 has been sent ot them.

Q1. Does NVC-Portsmouth review provide any value to the application or they just sit on it for some time?
Q2. Why can't NVC-Portsmouth send Packet 3 immediately to the consulate office where the interview will be scheduled?

Thanks.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Update

Originally posted by pattu007
Welcome to the thread. My POE is also LA, but my interview is on 21st.

Pattu

Hi Pattu,
I applied for 824 last november . I got a police clearance certificate at that time. Between now and then it has been more than 1 year. Do you know if that Police certificate is valid or do i have to get another one.

thanks
srirag

PCC valid for a year

Srirag,

PCC is valid for only a year from the day of its issue. I would highly recommend taking a new PCC. Since you were in US for last year, the Indian consulate should not take 45 days to issue a PCC. Call them before hand.

I got my PCC within 4 working days because I had my passport re-issued at Indian Consulate at Houston, TX.

Good Luck & Thanks.

How much time is 824 taking

srirag,

i have noticed from your posting that you applied for 824 last november. Did that take one year to process 824? Is it the same now aswell ?

i applied for 140 in july, opted for AOS in 140. Now i plan to file 824 and do CP. Did not apply for 485.

Can anyone tell me how much time is 824 taking now and also what is the time frame from 140 approval to interview date in chennai.

thanks.

824 without 140 approval(Gurus suggest)

I opted for AOS in 140. I want to do CP now, can i apply for 824 without 140 approval or i need to wait till 140 approval.

Also what is the difference between Regular 140 and AC140. In my case can i opt for any of them? Which one is faster?

Thanks in Advance.

Wait till I-140 is approved

hemeshd,

I-140 is completely different from AC I-140.

Stages of Green Card Process:
First Stage: Labor Certification Approval
Second Stage: I-140 Approval (Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker)
Third Stage: Adjustment Of Status or Consular Processing

Attorney Certified I-140 [AC I-140] only happens if you choose Consular Processing in third stage.

You will have to wait till your I-140 is approved. CP or AOS can be done after your I-140 is approved. Ideally, once you have your I-140 approved under AOS then you can file for I-824 (Application for Action on an Approved Application or Petition).

More info on immihelp.com (Click on Consular Processing --> Attorney Certified I-140 [AC 140])

Thanks.
(Not a Guru)

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: How much time is 824 taking

Originally posted by hemeshd
srirag,

i have noticed from your posting that you applied for 824 last november. Did that take one year to process 824? Is it the same now aswell ?

i applied for 140 in july, opted for AOS in 140. Now i plan to file 824 and do CP. Did not apply for 485.

Can anyone tell me how much time is 824 taking now and also what is the time frame from 140 approval to interview date in chennai.

thanks.

I had applied for I-824 nov 2001 . I am in the TSC jurisdiction. I got notified that my 824 was cleared in May . But somehow TSC took another 4-5 months before my papers were forwarded to NVC.

The time they take to forward papers is a big variable and could change from one center to another and could change even within the same center i guess. If your lawyers are willing to help call them you can track it better . I was simply waiting because my lawyers wouldn't call them.

If you are applying for CP other than chennai consulate you need to file for 824 and then then sent AC -140 (if your 140 is cleared ) directly to the consulate. If you are planning to apply to chennai you have to wait. There is no way out.

Hope this helps.

srirag

Re: PCC valid for a year

Srirag,

PCC is valid for only a year from the day of its issue. I would highly recommend taking a new PCC. Since you were in US for last year, the Indian consulate should not take 45 days to issue a PCC. Call them before hand.

I got my PCC within 4 working days because I had my passport re-issued at Indian Consulate at Houston, TX.

Good Luck & Thanks.

Hi cpDelhi,
Thanks a bunch for this warning and posting the reply in both the threads. I will drive down to houston on Monday and try to talk to them. Would it do any good to try and talk to them on the phone.

Any tips on what to say and what not to say?

thanks
srirag

Re: PCC valid for a year

Srirag,

Good Luck & Thanks.

cpDelhi,
I am trying to get a new PCC issued since mine is more than 1 year old.

1) Is this required even if i have my passport issued 4 weeks ago (Nov 2002).

I found the following statement in the US Chennai embassy . Since i had my passport reissused 4 weeks ago in houston i do not know what they are referring to as "passport office police certificate"

Applicants whose Indian passport was issued within the past six months may present just the passport office police certificate, and need not obtain additional police clearances.

any comments

thanks
srirag

Passport issued in last 6 months is good enough

Srirag,

If you have a passport issued in last 6 months on the date of your interview then you technically don't require a PCC.

If you still want a PCC for personal reasons you can send a check of $11 with required form (miscellaneous from Indian Consulate, Houston, Texas). Send all docs and passport by FedEx so you can track it. You can also call the Indian consulate if you wish to.

URL: http://www.cgihouston.org/

Indian Consulate Phone Numbers:
Tel: 713-626-2148/9
Fax: 713-626-2450

I got my PCC with in 4 working days by using FedEx services. My passport was also issued in Houston, Texas.

Good Luck & Thanks.

PCC valid for 6 months only !

Srirag,

If you have a passport issued in last 6 months on the date of your interview then you technically don't require a PCC.

If you still want a PCC for personal reasons you can send a check of $11 with required form (miscellaneous from Indian Consulate, Houston, Texas). Send all docs and passport by FedEx so you can track it. You can also call the Indian consulate if you wish to.

URL: http://www.cgihouston.org/

Indian Consulate Phone Numbers:
Tel: 713-626-2148/9
Fax: 713-626-2450

I got my PCC with in 4 working days by using FedEx services. My passport was also issued in Houston, Texas.

Good Luck & Thanks.

I got the following e-mail from the US Consulate in chennai regarding Police certificate.

Police certificate is valid for 6 months. Police certificate is valid for 6 months.
INDIAN POLICE CLEARANCE CERTIFICATES SHOULD BE OBTAINED AS FOLLOWS:

-- All Indian IV applicants age 16 and above, residing in India, should
obtain police certificates from the local passport office. Applicants whose
Indian passport was issued within the past six months may present just the
passport office police certificate, and need not obtain additional police
clearances.
-- Applicants over age 16 whose passports were issued more than six months
previous to visa application must also obtain a police clearance from the
district police office serving the applicant's current place of residence.
-- Indian passport holders applying for visas outside India should obtain a
statement only from their local embassy or consulate confirming they have no
criminal record.
-- Non-Indian IV applicants residing in India should obtain police
certificates from the district police station serving their area of
residence.
-- Indian police certificates are not available for foreign (non-Indian)
applicants applying outside India

Even though i had my passport issued in the last 6 months i am not taking any chances with this and i am going to try and get my PCC from Houston.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention !

srirag

Police certificate is valid for 6 months

Is this true that the PCC is valid for only 6 months. I thought it was for one year.

Can some one verify if this is true. My PCC was issued 8 months back. And my interview is less than 3 weeks. If it is valid for only 6 months ... I don't know what to do.

Ravi

Re: Police certificate is valid for 6 months

Originally posted by ravishankarp
Is this true that the PCC is valid for only 6 months. I thought it was for one year.

Can some one verify if this is true. My PCC was issued 8 months back. And my interview is less than 3 weeks. If it is valid for only 6 months ... I don't know what to do.

Ravi

Ravi,

It is confusing ! Srirag claims that he received an email from Chennai Consulate, stating that the PCC is valid for only 6 months. This is in deviation to all of the information we have had all along. Earlier all posts were saying that it is valid for 1 year.

One of the following 2 could have happened:

a) The reply from Consulate is not an individual response to a particular query, but a standard para, routinely sent out. They may not have ammended the part about 6 months validity.

b) There is indeed a policy change about this.

May be any of the members who are in touch with the Chennai Consulate by email, should ask this specific question and see what they say. Please note, this change would have wide impact!!

Re: Police certificate is valid for 6 months

Originally posted by ravishankarp

Ravi

Ravi,
I quoted the email message i received as is. Initially i didn't want to do this and cause needless confusion and anxiety. But if this is truly a policy change then it is important and should be conveyed to others.

I will try calling the consulate . But i don't know whether i will get to the right person over the phone.

Certainly send them a e-mail and ask them a very specific question. You know how terse their replies are.

When i received the interview letter by postal mail they did not mention about how long the police certificates are valid .

Looks like each person interprets the validity differently.

regards
srirag

I-140 AD 12/12/02

I am expecting P3 by Feb/March
I am getting married in April. Is it possible to specify future marriage date in P3 forms and continue process? or, can i apply only after coming back from india if i want to include my wife in the process?

Regarding PCC, as far as i know, its valid for a year.
Thanks

Originally posted by cannon576
I-140 AD 12/12/02

I am expecting P3 by Feb/March
I am getting married in April. Is it possible to specify future marriage date in P3 forms and continue process? or, can i apply only after coming back from india if i want to include my wife in the process?

Regarding PCC, as far as i know, its valid for a year.
Thanks

As far as filing I-824 i don't remember anything about mentioning spouse's name there. If my memory is correct my lawyer said that it doesn't matter in I-824. Given that you should be able to do what you mentioned above.

That's all i know.

regards
srirag

I dont think i have to file I-824 as CP is the option chosen while filing I-140. HR person suggested that we can go ahead with the process as 'Single' and then after marriage we can file an update with NVC about the change of status. I presume that as long as this update occurs before the case is sent to the Chennai Consulate, it should be fine. I am not sure which is the best way, file packet 3 after marriage or file it before and then update change of status. Anyway, i have asked him to consult with the attorney and i will know by next week, how to proceed.