Let\'s continue tracking I-485 receipt date

No Title

I have read some paragraphs on INS website for VSC\'s adjudication process, it mentioned every mail is opened either at the same day it arrived or the next day , so I guess they stamped every mail as they opened it, but open the mail doesn\'t mean the receipt notice will be mailed out , it has to wait somebody to enter the information into computer then generate the receipts, right now, they put fresh I-485/EAD/AP cases as lowest priority , they are busy with dealing other categories .

So the RD is the stamp they put on every package, ND is when they entered our informatio such as name, address , DOB, A# into system.

No Title

I am positive when I talked to IIO today he clearly said your I485 package has not been opened which means they didn\'t look inside it...
Hopefully he didn\'t mean what he was saying... getGCin2002 nice id. How about reserving getGCin2003 also...Just to be on the safe side. Just kidding.... today I am feeling veri impatient when I heard some reshuffling is going to happen in our company

No Title

gcsick,

I am also positive what IIO means opened your file is actually put your info into system, otherwise, how can they know what\'s inside the package? what if it\'s H1-B ? what if it\'s student OPT EAD ?
those cases by any rules need to be taken care immediately, because they are time sensitive.

they put fresh I-485 cases on the side is because they think I-485 is not time sensitive . however, at least they opened our packages and knew they are I-485 not H1-B .

No Title

I hope you are right getGCin2002. I hope I am wrong. I hope they have atleast opened it. If that\'s the case you will getGCin2002. You might not have to reserve getGC2003 ID on this forum. But I was seeing some messages on 485 about CIAhold and what not its a long way to go buddy. Lets share our thoughts for this long journey.

No Title

JimZ you amaze me. Terrific work. Now I am really awake. I didn\'t know there were many steps involved before getting the ND. When the IIO said today that the mail has not been opened which stage would you think my file is sitting ?

gcsick, your mail

has been definitely opened, but I am not sure where the case is. I read some posts that say the INS contract guys (in mail room or mail assembly) open mails to check and then write on a cover sheet the receipt date, case category and attach the cover sheet to your mail. They also check if mails include money..... When the mail finally routes to data entry unit, the typer will key in the receipt date from cover sheet and other information from the mail. After that, the computer system generates the case#, ND.... and the printer prints notice. Here you go.....

JimZ

No Title

JimZ,

Your message about 180 days rule does not clearly specify whether the counter starts from RD or ND. It says just says 180 days..

I got my receipt in last week. Once you get the receipt and EAC # check with INS automatic voice message system, they say that \'Your application is received on xyz date\' and in my case this (xyz) date is ND from the receipt not RD. So watch out.. in the INS terminology - ND from receipt is RD for 180 days rule.

No Title

Good Morning Guys,
  The 180 days rule starts from the receipt date. I am sure about this. I believe the for I485 we should have the same message as we used to hear in I140. Something like this...
" We received your petition for I485 on June 29, We mailed you a notice about the same on Sept 30, It is taking between 365-800 days to ......" My point is that RD = June 29 is the time when the clock starts for 180 rule...

Nice day,

No Title

I guess 180 days starts from RD. Let suppose if a person status is going to expire on X date and If INS receives an application of extension or change of status on X-1 date. That person would be legal until the petition is approved or denied by the INS.

so my friends INS considers the date of filing not the date of data entry.other wise that person would have become illegal and the petition would have been denied at the time of adjucation.

This is a true scenario. because my brother filed his H1 just one day before the expiry of last I94 and the petition got approved and i\'m pretty sure he must have got the ND after the i94 expiry date.

We can take an example of DV lottery. DV lottery says application should be post marked before 12 noon of the last date of submission.

I think 180 days starts as soon as your application is recevied by INS.

what does this mean?

Here is an excerpt from INS own words:

"...Fee receipts are printed and mailed after the electronic record is created. This means the date on the fee receipt may be different from the date the mail was received for priority date purposes..."

The RD, which is supposed to be the date at which the mail was received, is for priority date purposes. What is priority date purposes in this context? I think it is for INS to
determine when the case actually starts in case of such scenarios, just like when you file LC, the date your case received by labor department is your priority date, regardless how long the LC got approved.

JimZ

No Title

GcSick,

Please read my earlier message carefully.

I got the receipt and checked the voice message. It does not say what you are mentioning. The messages for I140 and I485 are different.

It says "We received your application on 11 July and it takes 365 to 540 days to approve this case". Where as my receipt shows that RD is 27 April and ND is 11 July.

I personally feel that logically RD (27 April) should be the start date for 180 days counter. But from this voice message I am not sure about it. Seems like INS is manipulating it.

No Title

Guys, stop the discussion about the 180 rules, if somebody will beat the dead line, try RD first and give us the feedback. I am the trigger of this argument, so I want to stop that for a while.

The most important thing, any receipt for today?

No Title

485Sufferer
Trust me it is RD=Apr 27 is when the counter starts for 180 days.
I have seen this information on archives of Murthy Chat

No Title

gcsick,

None of us has the real experience about the RD and ND with the 180 days, we gave our opinion out and let\'s see when something really gonna happen! Everybody wish the date should be RD, let\'s see...

latest news -- they are processing receipts for those received before May 2

IIO told 485 receipts are being sent out for cases filed received before May 2, which almost matches what we have seen in this week.