Landing Process and Necessary Info

I have seen posts from others offering to give their address for the PR card. You can try that at your own risk. You can search for them in this forum

For the cashiers checks Vs bank statements this topic has been covered several times under the landing and the buffalo tracker thread. Short answer is either one is fine. But I would suggest to personally to go with cashiers check. Just remember above 10K has to be declared.

Additional Questions

All,

This post is a follow up to my original post in February. I have the following additional questions:

Ques 1) I have been reviewing posts and was rather alarmed to learn of a few cases (most landing went smoothly and the person was able to return to US) where the Canadian immigration officer on learning that the landed immigrant was returning to US (to continue working) refused to accept the Canadian address of a friend to mail the PR card. The immigrant was asked to send in permanent address later but only on landing permanently. I currently work in US on H1 B work visa and in addition my current work requires me to travel to Canada periodically and I was doing that using a Canadian visitor visa. This visitor's visa was cancelled when the immigration visa was issued.

How common is this outcome? What can I do or say during landing that might prevent this outcome? In case it does happen, how do I go about obtaining the PR card to enable me to travel to Canada?

Ques 2) I understand that I need to fill out the “Goods to follow” list and submit it at the time of initial landing. For how long is this list valid? (E.g. 6 months, 1 year etc). What are the ramifications of lack of detailed and accuracy of this list during final move. E.g.: what if I add my car to he list but decide to sell it before permanently moving to Canada? Or if I add my TV but TV breaks down and cannot be shipped to Canada.

Ques 3) Are their any issues with using my own car Vs using rental car to cross the border for initial landing?

Ques 4) Lastly as I will be crossing over from Detroit, can I cross at any of the following border crossing from Detroit to Canada (namely Ambassador bridge, Detroit-Canada tunnel and Blue water bridge) or just a few? Please advice.

Ques 5) Lastly, as there will not be a working day during my landing, What are the negatives in not applying for a SIN card now Vs a later date?

Thanks in advance.

srini88 said:
See responses inline

The Canadian immigration visa was stamped on my passport in Feb’06. I have been given till end of April’06 to land. I currently work in US on H1 B visa and will not be able to completely wrap up my affairs and land permanently for another year or so. Hence, the following questions:
1) Can I land, apply for PR card and SIN card and return back if I tell the Canadian immigration officer that I will not be able to permanently reside in Canada for another year or so?

Yes you can apply for SIN card and come back. There is no need to tell them you will not be coming back for a yr. Just apply if they ask then go ahead and tell them

2) What are the tax implications if I cross the border to land by April’06 and then return the next day to US to continue to work? Will I have to pay Canadian tax on US income?

No there are no tax implications.

3) My current work requires me to travel to Canada periodically and I currently do that using a Canadian visitor visa. Are there any issues if in the future I use the Canadian PR card to cross the border to Canada and use H1 B visa stamp to re-enter US?

Thats the purpose of a PR card to allow you to enter without needing visa. I have done this there are no problems.

Thank you in advance.

See responses inline

All,

This post is a follow up to my original post in February. I have the following additional questions:

Ques 1) I have been reviewing posts and was rather alarmed to learn of a few cases (most landing went smoothly and the person was able to return to US) where the Canadian immigration officer on learning that the landed immigrant was returning to US (to continue working) refused to accept the Canadian address of a friend to mail the PR card. The immigrant was asked to send in permanent address later but only on landing permanently. I currently work in US on H1 B work visa and in addition my current work requires me to travel to Canada periodically and I was doing that using a Canadian visitor visa. This visitor's visa was cancelled when the immigration visa was issued.

How common is this outcome? What can I do or say during landing that might prevent this outcome? In case it does happen, how do I go about obtaining the PR card to enable me to travel to Canada?

In the end it depends on the Immigration officer, you can say a lot of things that it depends on your job, you have strong intentions etc but it depends on who you get.So just have the documentation and give a truthful answer and see. I have seen a few posts not many so I dont think its that prevalent. Maybe people who fly in have better luck. Well once they put it in your record then you have to be physically present in canada to apply, I saw some posts people trying to apply online using other addresses not sure if it worked out for them.

Ques 2) I understand that I need to fill out the “Goods to follow” list and submit it at the time of initial landing. For how long is this list valid? (E.g. 6 months, 1 year etc). What are the ramifications of lack of detailed and accuracy of this list during final move. E.g.: what if I add my car to he list but decide to sell it before permanently moving to Canada? Or if I add my TV but TV breaks down and cannot be shipped to Canada.

No there is no issue, I mean speaking from common sense if I put a TV and dont take it why should they care!!. Now if you didnt have a TV and then brought a spanking new Plasma Tv, yeah then you have issues. Same thing with a car. Small items shouldnt be a problem if you buy them later but anything expensive, jewellery is what they are concerned about. Who cares if you bring in a toaster that wasnt on the good list

Ques 3) Are their any issues with using my own car Vs using rental car to cross the border for initial landing?

Several posts on this in the forum, you can search for it

Ques 4) Lastly as I will be crossing over from Detroit, can I cross at any of the following border crossing from Detroit to Canada (namely Ambassador bridge, Detroit-Canada tunnel and Blue water bridge) or just a few? Please advice.

Normally I have seen people use the ambassador or the tunnel.

Ques 5) Lastly, as there will not be a working day during my landing, What are the negatives in not applying for a SIN card now Vs a later date?

No you dont have to apply for SIN. The only negative is if you plan to go back to Canada soon to work then you cannot start working until you get a SIN card. Think of it like your SSN card, same logic

Thanks in advance.

landing by air, any problem?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friends here:

I plan to land by air at Toronto Intl Airport, and come back to the USA in 2 days. I am on h4 visa status, I797 and I94 valid. I know it is safer to travel by car, but I have a job interview with a Canadian company in Toronto, they are willing to buy me the air tickets.

Question: do I have to surrender my I94 form to the US Immigration authority at the airport? or I can explain to them that I will be coming back in a couple of days? Anyone with landing by air experience please help! Will I have problem entering the USA without applying for a new visa?

thanks a bunch.

Flying in VS. Driving Rental

What could be the best approach?

I am trying to decide between flying to Vancouver and landing versus flying to Seattle then drive to Vancouver on rented car.

And I am coming back to the US w/o restamping my H1B. I have the expired visa stamp on my passport but I have the current valid H1B paper (Valid I -797)

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
If you fly, they will take your I-94 and give you a new one upon entering. If you drive then you dont have to give your I-94. Other than that I think it is pretty much the same. So my suggestion would be to do whichever is convenient for you.

Help Lost Change Ofaddress Form

I lost my change of address form to notify them where to send PR . Does anyone have a copy so I can fax it in.

Follow up question

Srini88 thank you for the response to my earlier question.

All,

I have been adviced that if during time of landing the officer does not "accept" friends address to mail PR card, I will have to apply for a "travel document" as per the following link: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/applications/travel.html

Ques 1) How much time does it take to issue the above referenced temporary travel documents ; Can any person who is on this forum comment based on personal or friend's experience?

Ques 2) After landing, how does the Canadian govt know that you have left Canada, I don't think the passport is stamped with an exit date or is it?

Ques 3) For proof of funds, if I carry < $ 10,000 (US Dollars) in 2 Cashiers checks one in my name and one in my wife's name, do I still declare at US side?

Thanks in advance.

srini88 said:
See responses inline

In the end it depends on the Immigration officer, you can say a lot of things that it depends on your job, you have strong intentions etc but it depends on who you get.So just have the documentation and give a truthful answer and see. I have seen a few posts not many so I dont think its that prevalent. Maybe people who fly in have better luck. Well once they put it in your record then you have to be physically present in canada to apply, I saw some posts people trying to apply online using other addresses not sure if it worked out for them.

Own car V/s Rental car

I can drive to Canada from where I live currently, but I'd like to know if there is any reason other then personal choice for driving either my personal car or a rental car to land in Canada.

I am going only for landing purposes.

Thanks.

Hello All,

I got reply from Buffalo Consulate asking me to submit Bank account funds, FBI & Police check from India as well as from USA for me and my wife. I have a doubt here. I did police check from Indian consultate (NY) for Canadian immigration last year (June 2005) hoping that they might ask me. This one I did because I am moving away from New york and my friend who applied after me got letter to do this. Unfortunately they requested me these documents after 7-8 months later than to my friend. Do I need to do again or I can submit old one? Please advice me and do not want to face any problems in future.

Landing info needed

Guys,

Please refer me to previously answered link or help for these questions.

I will be landing in a month or so

1) Can i take my 401k and stock statement as proof of funds?

2) I am pakistani national, Valid I-94 / Employment status H-1B, Expried Visa, Do i need to go through exit registration etc. I do not want to surrender my I-94. Any info/similar experience will help?

3) I will be renting a car and will go from detroit-windsor route. Any link to landing experience from there?

4) What are absolute must documents to have for landing(i looked at the long list at the beginning of this post).

5) How long it takes to apply for PR card in canada? Can i apply by mail after comming back to US?.

6) I can give address of my relative, do i need to do that at Canadian POE?

I will appreciate your help

Question: landing on April 12th

Friends,

I will be landing this week and hence really need this forum’s help. In turn I will post my experience on my return (what worked and what did not) so that it may help others.

Thanks in advance.

Questions:

Q1) Proof of funds to show during landing:
1a) How much is the minimum Canadian $ amount that I need to bring with myself during landing? I will be landing with my spouse and daughter. (I know more is better but I intend to return to US the next day)

1b) If I need to bring in more than US $10,000, will Canadian authorities accept if I have 2 drafts one in my name and another in my wife's name? (this to avoid having a certified check > US $10,000)

Q2) All those who have successfully landed, official accepted their friends/relative’s address for PR card and returned to US; What did you say when asked if you are landing permanently?

Q3) All those who successfully landed, official refused to accept their friends/relative’s address for PR card and returned to US: How long did it take to apply for temporary travel documents and how complicated is this process?

Landed yesterday

Hi Guys, I landed yesterday from Nigara Falls. It was very easy & very quick process. First of all make sure that you have enough funds with you according to your family size. This is the first thing they asked me. I made 2 drafts one on my wife's name & one on my names. So it was easy. Try to make your draft for a amout less then $10000/USA. I did one mistake & they didn't accepted the address which I was interested to give them because I used Care of "friend's Name & they said who is this care of & when i said its my friend they said you need to be here to apply for PR. About travel documents, they will give you one receipt, by using that receipt you can reenter Canada any time but only from USA. Any questions, Please write to me. Also make a "list of following goods & also their approximate value in Canadain doller. Rest I will write the whole experience after coming back to USA.
Thanks!

Team

I landed on March 28 from Peace Bridge with my wife and two daughters.
Great experience. Everything went real smooth.

We used the Rental Car from AVIS. I checked with my car insurance company as well. They provided me an Insurance Card in a specific format needed by Candian authority. I did not had to show it to anyone.

I did the passport stamping and landing on the same day from Buffalo.

I just took USD500 cash along with me. For the remaining funds I took my US Bank Statement showing amount necessary for 4 people.

When they asked me about my address in Canada, I gave them my friends address. Also I told them that this is my friends address. No issues. I did had a list of Good to Follow with US$ values.The landing process took 30 minutes for all 4 of us.

You do not appliy for PR Card. Once you Land they automatically send it to you on the address provided.

We stayed in Toronto for a day, applied for SIN and came back the next day.

Me and my wife have expired Visa but valid I-94/L1 Petition. My daughters have US Passport. The officer at US border looked at the passport and L1 extension papers. He informed that as part of Automatic Revalidation, I can re-enter US from Canada as long as I stay out less than 30 days.

Thanks for keeping this a great forum

Canada landing with Medical Surveillance conditions attached,Please help

Hi experts and gurus,

Please help!!! Landing soon, no previous post cover my question. Thanks in advance.

I got my Canada landing doc and need to do landing before the end of Apr, 2006.

My landing has Medical Surveillance conditions attached. Inactive TB. and I have to report to medical authorities within 30 days after landing.

I saw saw your post Apr 2005 on immigrationportal.com that your wife has the same situation. Could you please help with the following questions?

1. I plan to land and come back to USA in a couple days, so I won't be able to wait in Canada until the medical doc to arrive for the medical check. I called the medical center in Canada, they mentioned that they will send the medical check appointment to the address I'll give for my PR card at the POE Canada. I plan to give my friend's address and she will forward me the medical appointment mail. I'll go to Canada for the medical check on a reentry of canada.

Is that possible? What did your wife do when you do landing last year?

2. when reenetering Canada, what is the necessary document I need provide?

Appreciate your help in advance. Thanks.

Canland

pLEASE HELP REGARDING lANDING IN CANADA EXPIRED VISA OF usa

COULD u please tell me regarding AVR my visa of usa has expired and want to land to canada

ARCHRAJ said:
Team

I landed on March 28 from Peace Bridge with my wife and two daughters.
Great experience. Everything went real smooth.

We used the Rental Car from AVIS. I checked with my car insurance company as well. They provided me an Insurance Card in a specific format needed by Candian authority. I did not had to show it to anyone.

I did the passport stamping and landing on the same day from Buffalo.

I just took USD500 cash along with me. For the remaining funds I took my US Bank Statement showing amount necessary for 4 people.

When they asked me about my address in Canada, I gave them my friends address. Also I told them that this is my friends address. No issues. I did had a list of Good to Follow with US$ values.The landing process took 30 minutes for all 4 of us.

You do not appliy for PR Card. Once you Land they automatically send it to you on the address provided.

We stayed in Toronto for a day, applied for SIN and came back the next day.

Me and my wife have expired Visa but valid I-94/L1 Petition. My daughters have US Passport. The officer at US border looked at the passport and L1 extension papers. He informed that as part of Automatic Revalidation, I can re-enter US from Canada as long as I stay out less than 30 days.

Thanks for keeping this a great forum

shamir76

Just search on google for AVR there are many links such as these.

http://www.upenn.edu/oip/iss/visa/travel/revalidation.html

See this link you will be able to come back as long as you are not a citizen of the above countries and have not applied for a visa in Canada and return within 30 days. I would suggest applying it for it while in Canada and returning with a new visa.

Just my 2cents

Canada Landing & H1B stamping

hi guys,
I wanted a little bit of guidance from you all.
Background
I am on my H1b in US (came in US in 2001 on F1 for MBA and now work with big fortune 100 company) and never been out of US since. Since I need to visit India soon I have to get the H1B stamping done in Toronto. I have taken appt for June last week there.
Questions

1) Are there any cases, that you know of, where US H1b was denied based on the status being "Landed immigrant" in Canada or any other related reasons

2) Is it safer to go via air or road? I have some on road experiences where Canda landing was denied. But I have come accross no denial cases where the travel was by air.

Thanks for all your help.

Attended Medicals

I attended Medicals and sent the FBI and India PCC to Buffalo. Could you please tell me what are next steps remained....

Thanks