Landing Process and Necessary Info

If you need Canadian Address for PR or SIN card

If someone needs an address in Canada for PR card or SIN card, and has no friends or relative that they can use or someone wants a more reliable means of address, I can help. Contact me with an e-mail address: wilsonpais1@yahoo.com

Mailing of PR card in Canada

Does anyone know if the PR card arrives by regular mail or by special mail (where pewrson has to be present to receive it) at the Canadian address? I am planning to go to Toronto next week and come back after 2-3 days - giving my friends address for mailing of the PR card. However, he may go on vacation after a month and I am afraid that the card may arrive while he is on vacation and be retuned in mail.

Will appreciate if folks can share their experiences from past. Thanks.

The Canadian immigration visa was stamped on my passport in Feb’06. I have been given till end of April’06 to land. I currently work in US on H1 B visa and will not be able to completely wrap up my affairs and land permanently for another year or so. Hence, the following questions:
1) Can I land, apply for PR card and SIN card and return back if I tell the Canadian immigration officer that I will not be able to permanently reside in Canada for another year or so?

2) What are the tax implications if I cross the border to land by April’06 and then return the next day to US to continue to work? Will I have to pay Canadian tax on US income?

3) My current work requires me to travel to Canada periodically and I currently do that using a Canadian visitor visa. Are there any issues if in the future I use the Canadian PR card to cross the border to Canada and use H1 B visa stamp to re-enter US?

Thank you in advance.

See responses inline

The Canadian immigration visa was stamped on my passport in Feb’06. I have been given till end of April’06 to land. I currently work in US on H1 B visa and will not be able to completely wrap up my affairs and land permanently for another year or so. Hence, the following questions:
1) Can I land, apply for PR card and SIN card and return back if I tell the Canadian immigration officer that I will not be able to permanently reside in Canada for another year or so?

Yes you can apply for SIN card and come back. There is no need to tell them you will not be coming back for a yr. Just apply if they ask then go ahead and tell them

2) What are the tax implications if I cross the border to land by April’06 and then return the next day to US to continue to work? Will I have to pay Canadian tax on US income?

No there are no tax implications.

3) My current work requires me to travel to Canada periodically and I currently do that using a Canadian visitor visa. Are there any issues if in the future I use the Canadian PR card to cross the border to Canada and use H1 B visa stamp to re-enter US?

Thats the purpose of a PR card to allow you to enter without needing visa. I have done this there are no problems.

Thank you in advance.

Tax implication

Sk-1, srini88,

As far as the tax, I am not sure if there is none.

My friend moved to Canada in Jun 2005, she landed in Oct 2004. She is doing her tax right now. She was told that she has to pay the tax since Oct 2004. Paying 42% of tax on 401K and 10% on her USA salary to Canadian Government. I am now worrying since I landed in 2005.

I went on the Canadian Tax agent website trying to figure it out, I can't find anything that separate the people who landed and staying, or landed and leaving people. It only stated Permanent Resident.

If there is a formal written info to correct my statement, please let me know. I am really worrying about that hung amount of tax that I might have to pay.

Thank you

Getinfo

getinfo

See this link, if you are a non resident from a tax point of view you dont have to pay taxes. Is your friend living in Canada or does she have ties to it. Who told her to file?

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tax/nonresidents/individuals/nonres-e.html

Also see attachment, its poorly formatted but should be able to get the gist of it.

If you are a non resident then you dont have to pay taxes.

Here are some items that qualify you as a resident
Residential ties include:
a home in Canada
a spouse or common-law partner (see the definition in the General Income Tax and Benefit Guide) and dependants in Canada
personal property in Canada, such as a car or furniture
social ties in Canada.
Other ties that may be relevant include:
a Canadian driver's licence
a Canadian bank account or credit cards
health insurance with a Canadian province or territory.

Thanks Srini88,

My friend was told by the Canadian H&R block Accountant. She is going to take the info you provided and clarify it with Canadian IRS.

One of the items from the Residential ties list is having Canadian Bank account, it might be the main cause for an accountant to think we are obligated to file the tax.

Will keep you all posted when I hear back from my friend.

Thanks again.

getinfo

Srini88,

Below is my friend info:
Land in Oct 2004
Open a bank account 0ct 2004
Moved to Canada in July 2005.
Got OHAP in Nov 2005
Got driver's license in Sept 2005

She is now preparing to pay her 2005 tax. Tax accountant told her that she has to pay tax since Oct 2004. And lot of people (including the tax accountant) told her that she has to pay 42% on her 401K that she contributed in 2005.

So, here is the questions…… (I know is more like tax accountant question. However, if any of you have read this before and know the answer, your help is greatly appreciated.)

1) When she retires in USA, does she have to pay tax on 401K when she withdraws in her retirement years? OR could she get any credit since she already paid the tax to Canada?

2) If she packs up and comes back to USA for 2 more years waiting for her USA greencard. Will she have to pay 2005 Canadian tax in 2006? Do you think this is a better option?

3) She is to find out if it is ok to travel outside canada after landing.

4) Why does she have to pay taxes from landing date.

Thank you so much for your time

Getinfo

Last edited by a moderator:
Your suggestions

Hi Guys, I have one question. I am planning to land in Canada next month. I have one question before I actually proceed for that. My situation is like this:

1. I am in USA from last 5 Years.
2. This is the 6th year & I got extension for next 3 years because my I140 is already approved.
3. I have EAD card & Travel documents.
4. My visa in passport is expired 7 months backs.

Now question is if I will enter in USA by using my travel document, is it going to affect my H1 status.

Can I enter in USA by using my valid I-94?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!

getinfo said:
Sk-1, srini88,

As far as the tax, I am not sure if there is none.

My friend moved to Canada in Jun 2005, she landed in Oct 2004. She is doing her tax right now. She was told that she has to pay the tax since Oct 2004. Paying 42% of tax on 401K and 10% on her USA salary to Canadian Government. I am now worrying since I landed in 2005.

I went on the Canadian Tax agent website trying to figure it out, I can't find anything that separate the people who landed and staying, or landed and leaving people. It only stated Permanent Resident.

If there is a formal written info to correct my statement, please let me know. I am really worrying about that hung amount of tax that I might have to pay.

Thank you

Getinfo

Let me start by thanking both Srini88 and Getinfo for responding to my query. I have some additional questions, but let me address the issue of tax implication if one lands and returns to US to work.

I got the following response from a friend who asked an immigration lawyer in Canada:

"You do not pay taxes to Canada for your U.S. income. You pay Canadian taxes once you begin working for a Canadian employer in Canada."

Based on this information Getinfo your friend has gotten wrong advice.

Sk-1

Landing in Montreal

First of all , let me thank everyne here, those are very valuable Info. Can someone help me with this question.
I was planning to land in Toronto and that's what i put in my paperwork, however If i land and plan to live in Montreal would it be a Pb? I have heard that you would need a Quebec approval !

Thank You

I certainly hope so

sk-1 said:
Let me start by thanking both Srini88 and Getinfo for responding to my query. I have some additional questions, but let me address the issue of tax implication if one lands and returns to US to work.

I got the following response from a friend who asked an immigration lawyer in Canada:

"You do not pay taxes to Canada for your U.S. income. You pay Canadian taxes once you begin working for a Canadian employer in Canada."

Based on this information Getinfo your friend has gotten wrong advice.

Sk-1

Sk-1

Thank you so much for checking that out for me. Can you ask your friend's lawyer a few more questions just to double check. Definately doesn't want to owe tax to a country.

Based on that statement, "You do not pay taxes to Canada for your U.S. income. You pay Canadian taxes once you begin working for a Canadian employer in Canada."

1) So my friend should not worry about pay 2004 tax even she opened a bank account in 2004. Having a bank account is one of the residential ties in http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tax/nonresidents/individuals/nonres-e.html#d

2) My friend moved to Windsor in July 2005 and she still work in USA. What should she do about the tax for year 2005? Still doesn't have to pay?

3) is it possible to let me know which attorney your friend goes to ask the advice? So, my friend could contact that attorney in case she has more questions or if she wants to hire the knowledge.

Thank you again

Getinfo

if she has a bank account you most likely will have to pay taxes especially if you have accrued some interest.
Regarding living in windsor and working in US, YES absolutely you have to file taxes. There is no doubt about that. You are living in Canada, having ties to it, you have to pay taxes. So your friend is doing the right thing.

In your case if you land and come back and dont have any ties as I mentioned in my earlier post you dont have to pay taxes.

See responses online

Srini88,

Below is my friend info:
Land in Oct 2004
Open a bank account 0ct 2004
Moved to Canada in July 2005.
Got OHAP in Nov 2005
Got driver's license in Sept 2005

She is now preparing to pay her 2005 tax. Tax accountant told her that she has to pay tax since Oct 2004. And lot of people (including the tax accountant) told her that she has to pay 42% on her 401K that she contributed in 2005.

So, here is the questions…… (I know is more like tax accountant question. However, if any of you have read this before and know the answer, your help is greatly appreciated.)

1) When she retires in USA, does she have to pay tax on 401K when she withdraws in her retirement years? OR could she get any credit since she already paid the tax to Canada?

I am not sure on this best to verify with cross border tax professionals sometimes H&R Block are not good for people who work in US and canada. you can also google other tax forums such as grasmick.com who specialize in this, not cheap though

2) If she packs up and comes back to USA for 2 more years waiting for her USA greencard. Will she have to pay 2005 Canadian tax in 2006? Do you think this is a better option?

She will not have to pay if she severs all her ties to Canada. Again need to be careful and get advice from cross border tax professionals.

3) She is to find out if it is ok to travel outside canada after landing.

Of course it is, thats why you have a PR card to go in and out without a visa, you can stay outside for 3yrs in a 5yr period without losing your status frm the date of landing

4) Why does she have to pay taxes from landing date.

Its not from the landing date but when you established residency, benefits etc and from the dates you posted looks like she landed and opened accounts in the same month so thats why they must be telling her from the landing date since the two were close even though she moved next yr and it clearly states in the link I sent you, having a bank accounts also factor in tax calculations.Again something she has to ask the tax pros

Again I am NOT a tax professional so do your own research carefully. But hopefully this helps a little bit.

Thank you so much for your time

What to do for landing?

I've recieved my passport and landing docs. Can someone tell me what I need to do now. I want to go to Vancouver for landing for a day or so and I dont have an address in Canada. What documents do I need to take with me, do I need to take a bank draft of $10K with me and can I bring it back with me or do I need to open a bank acct? Also, is it better to go via plane or car- I've heard of some issues with car - has to be a rental etc. Also, what else should I do while there- apply for SScard? How to do that. IF someone can provide this information I would appreciate it.

Landing Process - Urgent

Hi,
I am on study permit and am currently in Toronto. I have recieved passport request but since my medicals expire in April, I am planning to do as under:
- Travel by bus to Buffalo (I have US Visitor visa)
- Get immigration stamp from Canadian consulate
- Return back by bus to Toronto and finish up landing process. I will carry bank statement from a bank here in Toronto that has a balance of CAD 10000. My wife will be accompanying me.

Please let me know if there is any issue in what I am planning to finish up the landing process. I am planning to do it early next week.

Thanks

Sanchi7

Only issue I can think of is that the bus will not wait for you while you complete your Immigration formalities. You will have to wait for the next bus that comes along.
Otherwise all is set. There is rare chance your visa will be delayed by 1 day. On off chance be ready to spend 1 night in Buffalo (rare but has happened to ppl).

Landing Question

I am landing and returing next day in Vancouver- I do not have an address to mail the PR card to in Canada. What will the border people say and how should I handle the situation.
Also, Do i only take the bank statment or cashiers cheque.
thanks,