landing experience

Hi All,

After landing, I want to do revalidation also for me and for my wife who is a dependent.

(1) Should I get two separate appointments, one for me and one for my wife ?

(2) The visa application package includes the visa application forms, an information sheet, and a pre-coded deposit slip for the non-refundable USD$100 processing fee. The fee must be paid at any branch of the Bank of Nova Scotia (ScotiaBank) located in the province of Ontario before coming to the Consulate.

I saw this (2) point in toronto US consulate website. Is this applicable to other US consulates also in Canada to deposit $100 in scotia bank ?

I really appreciate your help in this.

Thanks
Arun

ls_GCcard - see reply bellow

I plan to travel to Canada in a few days and had a few questions:

1) Do I need to take a cashier's check with me or are bank statements sufficient? If a cashier's check is required, what's the minimum amount for a single person?
You need a cashier's check to be safe. TCs are accepted too. Amount for single person is roughly $10,000 CAD. (something like $9800 if you search CIC site).2) Do I need to take any photographs with me?
NO
3) If I plan on landing in Toronto, can I give an address of a friend in Montreal at the airport (for them to mail the card to).
Yes you can.4) I have heard that in some cases, they don't mail the card out but ask people to come and pick it up. Is that true?
Did not happen to me and many others I know. But I have read some posts that mentioned that they were asked to pick up their card. Not sure if they are truthful.
5) Do I need to take a goods to follow list? I don't really plan on taking much to Canada.
You do not need to take a goods to follow list if you are not importing anything. Beware, custom rates are very high incase you take in something later.
6) I also read in this forum that in some cases, people were not allowed to land in Canada because immigration didn't believe that those people actually intended to move to Canada. Any advice on that front?
I read that post and freaked out. I was originally going to drive and after reading that post I flew into Toronto. Actually flying in was very pleasant and the immigration processing was state of the art in Toronto Pearson. Choice is yours.
Thanks

Thanks for the response.

If a US Greencard holders lands in Canada for the PR (for a few days only), will the INS give them any problems when they fly back to the US?

I would be interested if anyone else was in a similar position and what their experience was on flying back to the US.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
ls_gcard said:
Thanks for the response.

If a US Greencard holders lands in Canada for the PR (for a few days only), will the INS give them any problems when they fly back to the US?

I would be interested if anyone else was in a similar position and what their experience was on flying back to the US.

Thanks
why would the INS give some one troubles just because that person got immigration to another country. I am not sure why people are so worried and if the INS is that stupid then why live in such kind of a country where the INS is giving you problems for something other than criminal activities. This will be pure discrimintation case and you should have the guts to stay in Canada instead where you will not be discriminated against it. I was just tryng to make my point so in conclusion, there should be no problem ... :) and actually if there is then you need to choose Canada...

Landing UPDATE

I landed on Jan 15 and returned to US on Jan17. My wife and I got our SIN numbers and my wife received her PR card. I called the Call center for PR enquiry (I had to call my friend in Toronto and have him conference me to the 800 number) and they told me that my photo was not OK. Anyway, instead of complaining I am doing a road trip to Toronto and Canadian Great lakes. Will update later.

pearl11142002 said:
gckadiwana:

I will be sending my passports on Feb 5 and will let you know what the expiriy date is.

Once you recive your passports ,Can you also let me know what your expiriy date is?

-Pearl

Hi pearl11142002,

I sent my passport on Feb 1 to buffalo office and still did not receive passport. As per Johar_Ali mentioned, visa expiry will be exactly one year from medical.

I will update here when I get passport stamped. You also update here when you get your passport stamped.

How long it takes for passport stamping?

Guys,

I sent my passport on Feb 1 for visa stamping. it's been almost two weeks. Still did not receive passport back.

How long generally it takes to get passport back?

Thanks.

Landing and PR CARD and CIN Number

metaman said:
I landed on Jan 15 and returned to US on Jan17. My wife and I got our SIN numbers and my wife received her PR card. I called the Call center for PR enquiry (I had to call my friend in Toronto and have him conference me to the 800 number) and they told me that my photo was not OK. Anyway, instead of complaining I am doing a road trip to Toronto and Canadian Great lakes. Will update later.

Hi metaman,

Could you please give me a brief description of what you have done for the PR card and CIN? Did you by any chance needed to stamp the Visa for US?

meetme

gckadivana: I think it is still in the usual time frame and you should be able to get it soon. SO waite for a few days. DO you have a return tracking number. I mailed mine with a return tracking number USPS..

Meetme : We landed in Toronto and the immigration officer said we will receive our PR cards within a month, They use the photo in COPR. We went to local HRDC office to apply for SIN number. My wife and I had valid visa's and so we did not need fresh ones to some back to US. Besides I did not even surrender my I-94.

Johar Ali said:
why would the INS give some one troubles just because that person got immigration to another country. I am not sure why people are so worried and if the INS is that stupid then why live in such kind of a country where the INS is giving you problems for something other than criminal activities. This will be pure discrimintation case and you should have the guts to stay in Canada instead where you will not be discriminated against it. I was just tryng to make my point so in conclusion, there should be no problem ... :) and actually if there is then you need to choose Canada...

I see your point. However, my question was if this (landing in Canada for PR after getting US Green Card) is against the rules for retaining a US Green card?

Would the INS look upon this (landing in Canada for PR) as abondoning the US Green card?

I am sure there must be people in a similar situation on this board. I would appreciate anyone's experience of questions asked when flying back to the US from Canada or other advice.

Thanks

ls-gcard: As I said in my previous post, there is no reason to suspect someone who just took a small step and have not abondoned yet. You know that there is the 6 month rules, comuting GC and re-entry permits. The should then suspect people who goes back to their country of origin since they not only now got a GC for that country but they are carying a passport of that foreign country. What do you think now and what do you conclude form this...... ANd as I said if they suspect you and look at you scornfully then : choose Canada...

metaman said:
Meetme : We landed in Toronto and the immigration officer said we will receive our PR cards within a month, They use the photo in COPR. We went to local HRDC office to apply for SIN number. My wife and I had valid visa's and so we did not need fresh ones to some back to US. Besides I did not even surrender my I-94.
Hi Metaman,

Have you landed by flight or car ?

I think we need to surrender if we go by flight ?

Would you please clarify.

Thanks
Arun

Thanks for your advice Johar.

I was also interested in knowing if someone has been in the same position as me (getting Canadian PR after US Green Card).

I would very much appreciate it if they could post their travel experience.

Thank you.

I landed by flight. You do not have to surrender I-94 if you are re-entering within 7 days. I flew out of Milwaukee wi, direct to Toronto. Milwaukee is such a small airport they did not know anything about visa since all immigration in done in Toronto.I kept my I-94.

Johar Ali said:
gckadivana: I think it is still in the usual time frame and you should be able to get it soon. SO waite for a few days. DO you have a return tracking number. I mailed mine with a return tracking number USPS..
Thanks Johar.
I sent return USPS express mail envelope with passports. I should receive passport by end of this week.

metaman said:
Hi metaman,
You went to toronto on weekends. Does HRDC office stay open on sat or sun to apply for SIN?

Thanks.

metaman said:
I landed by flight. You do not have to surrender I-94 if you are re-entering within 7 days. I flew out of Milwaukee wi, direct to Toronto. Milwaukee is such a small airport they did not know anything about visa since all immigration in done in Toronto.I kept my I-94.
Thanks metaman.

(1) I am planning to land in Toronto, Is it Ok if I give my friend's address in calgary for PR card ?

(2) Should I open the bank account.

Thanks

Arun

Hi arun_gc_waiting

You can give an address in Calgary. But if there are any issues with your PR card (like mine), you will have to travel to Calgary. So be careful.

Opening a bank account is up to you. I dont see any reason to have an account , unless you want to sell your house here and wire large sums when the rate is right.

My advice to everyone landing by air, insist on a digital picture at the airport.I landed for that purpose and they did not take a digital picture. Now they want me to appear in person because my picture in not scannable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi gckadiwana
I was there Jan17 as well, a holiday in Wisconsin. So I did my bank account and SIN card business on Monday.HRDC is not open weekends.