landing experience

pearl11142002 said:
gckadiwana:

I will be sending my passports on Feb 5 and will let you know what the expiriy date is.

Once you recive your passports ,Can you also let me know what your expiriy date is?

-Pearl
I did , the expiration date is exactly on eyear for the medicals

>wheretogo:

>1. Should we land by road or by air which is the safest route.
Does not matter.
2. Do we have a choice where to land or the place mentioned on the landing papers is where we have to land. Is there a better place for landing.

ANSWER: It is all relative and upto you. Where ever you feel happy is a better place. you can land anywhere except Qbek

3. What all do we have to take with us for landing besides the landing papers
4. What is the goods to follow list.
This is explained in the papers came with the visa.
5. Is it ok if we take less amount than the one specified on the application
You can but it should be enough and match the minimum requirements. You can find that on CIC official website since it depends on the size of the family.
6. What do we have to do after landing to get our PR cards assuming that we would be returning to US in 2-3 days
You need an address in Canada where the card should be mailed which you can provide whenever you like in a reasonable amount of time.
7. Do we have to surrender our I94 cards while landing or do we keep them with us.
194 is something to do with the US and has nothing to do with Canada. People often get confused with 194. Driving no rpoblem, flying, I did not turn it in since I did not have it..
8. How do we carry the amount with us. Can we just take our bank statements?
Bank statement is like carrying a marriage certificate and pretending you got your wife with you or birth certificate of a person and pretending that person is with you.. in other words, Bank statement is only a proof..
9. Is there a need to open a bank acct in Canada and what is a SIN card and why do we have to apply for one assuming that we will return to US in 2-3 days.
it is your tax ID like Social sec. in the US. Bank account is your choice..but recomended..
10. Anything else that we need to know for landing in Canada and for returning back to US
there no limit to know stuff, read further on CIC website of US official .gov sites
11.I have AP. Do not have H1B Stamp on PP. Can I enter on AP or need to go H1b Stamping in Canada
AP does need H-1b
12. Anything else we need to keep in mind while being with Canadian imm officers while going and with US imm offices while coming back.
NO just be honest...
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
lz said:
HI,

I already landed as I mentioned before. I got my things to follow list stamped.

my wife and my child will come to join me later this year. Can they have their "things to bring" and "things to follow"? again?

thanks
If they are your dependents and applied together then they can not have their goods to follow list....

Funds

Does anyone have any suggestions about how much funds should be carried during landing?

We are a family of 3 and are planning to just land and return in 3 days. The CIC website says they expect a family of 3 to have CAD $15387 as funds to settle in Canada. Will it be safe to carry just USD 15000, or should we plan or carrying more?

Thanks in advance,
SJ

$ Draft

I have read on CIC website it is safe to carry multiple 5K $ draft instead of 15K $. Because custom people will ask more explanation of you carry more than 10K $ value draft..
=========
Here is more detail
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/skilled/qual-4.html

Disclosure of funds:

If you are carrying more than CDN $10,000, tell a Canadian official when you arrive in Canada. If you do not tell an official you may be fined or put in prison. These funds could be in the form of:

cash;
securities in bearer form (for example: stocks, bonds, debentures, treasury bills); or
negotiable instruments in bearer form (for example: bankers’ drafts, cheques, travellers’ cheques, money orders.)
===============================
Anybody have suggestion?

DOLkemaaki said:
Does anyone have any suggestions about how much funds should be carried during landing?

We are a family of 3 and are planning to just land and return in 3 days. The CIC website says they expect a family of 3 to have CAD $15387 as funds to settle in Canada. Will it be safe to carry just USD 15000, or should we plan or carrying more?

Thanks in advance,
SJ

Since after Sept 11 all transections of over USD 5000.00 are subjected to one or the other kind of federal scrutiny.You may not face trouble in getting a MO/BC/Draft of over USD 5000.00 but you definitely will have trouble (long delays in clearance) in encashing it. I not only had to wait for over two months for a bank draft of USD 10,000.00 to clear but chase manhatten also charged me 70 bucks as clearing charges.

Questions Urgent reply

Hi,

I am planning to land through Detroit by car and come back the same day. I don't have a visa stamp on my passport, does the 30 days re-entry rule still apply? Do you HAVE TO go to Toronto to get my visa stamped? I entered US several years ago on F1, and later changed to H1. I have the INS approval notice, but no visa stamps on my passport.

Need reply ASAP. Urgent!

Thanks a lot.

Need some advise

Hi friends,

Need some help-

I am planning to land sometime in April and come back to US after couple of days on Advance Parole. I have relatives in Canada whose address I will be giving for the PR card and hopefully they can mail it to me. Is it possible to re-enter Canada before obtaining the PR card using copy of COPR? Also, on my second entry, am I suppose to take all the things I mentioned in the 'Goods to follow list" or I can do it later?

What I am planning to do after my second entry, is to go to India and return to US via Canada(driving to and from Canada). Will there be any problem while returning to US with the luggage and everything from Canada by road?

Any reply will be highly appreciated.

Thanks and regards.
SMathew.

Johar,

Thanks for the reply.

This is what I understood from your reply-

Can re-enter Canada any number of times using copy of COPR before obtaining the PR card.

Not necessary to take the things in the goods to follow list on the second entry(BTW, is there a time frame for this to be done?).

Can go to India and come back to US via Canada.

Please advise if I didn't get it right.

Thanks again,
SMathew.

Johar Ali said:
s_mathew:
going back and forth to canada:
YES
All others:
NO

s_mathew:

Can re-enter Canada any number of times using copy of COPR before obtaining the PR card.

ANS: Only by road, for flying you need re-entry permit cost $50.00

Not necessary to take the things in the goods to follow list on the second entry(BTW, is there a time frame for this to be done?).

Goods to follow list good for one year

Yes but as I said, you need re-entry permit if you will be flying in

Hi Johar,

Thank you so much for the detailed reply. I appreciate that.

SMathew.

Johar Ali said:
s_mathew:

ANS: Only by road, for flying you need re-entry permit cost $50.00

Goods to follow list good for one year

Yes but as I said, you need re-entry permit if you will be flying in

I am planning to do same

S_mathew,

I am planning to do same. Which way you are planning. I am planning to go through detorit (windosor). and come back on AP.

Can you send me your contact number on akp_158@yahoo.com. We can share more detail.

Thanks,

s_mathew said:
Johar,

Thanks for the reply.

This is what I understood from your reply-

Please advise if I didn't get it right.

Thanks again,
SMathew.

Landing information

I plan to travel to Canada in a few days and had a few questions:

1) Do I need to take a cashier's check with me or are bank statements sufficient? If a cashier's check is required, what's the minimum amount for a single person?

2) Do I need to take any photographs with me?

3) If I plan on landing in Toronto, can I give an address of a friend in Montreal at the airport (for them to mail the card to).

4) I have heard that in some cases, they don't mail the card out but ask people to come and pick it up. Is that true?

5) Do I need to take a goods to follow list? I don't really plan on taking much to Canada.

6) I also read in this forum that in some cases, people were not allowed to land in Canada because immigration didn't believe that those people actually intended to move to Canada. Any advice on that front?

Thanks