landing experience

metaman said:
Hi arun_gc_waiting

You can give an address in Calgary. But if there are any issues with your PR card (like mine), you will have to travel to Calgary. So be careful.

Opening a bank account is up to you. I dont see any reason to have an account , unless you want to sell your house here and wire large sums when the rate is right.

My advice to everyone landing by air, insist on a digital picture at the airport.I landed for that purpose and they did not take a digital picture. Now they want me to appear in person because my picture in not scannable.
can you elaborate why your picture is not scannable. Do you blame the size for it or the background. Thanks

I was told that there was a "mark on the picture". Possibly a pen mark from immigration or scrath or whatever. I dont know what the real reason is. The size and BG are fine, I am assuming.

metaman said:
Hi arun_gc_waiting

You can give an address in Calgary. But if there are any issues with your PR card (like mine), you will have to travel to Calgary. So be careful.

Opening a bank account is up to you. I dont see any reason to have an account , unless you want to sell your house here and wire large sums when the rate is right.

My advice to everyone landing by air, insist on a digital picture at the airport.I landed for that purpose and they did not take a digital picture. Now they want me to appear in person because my picture in not scannable.

Thanks Metaman. For me Calgary travel is very expensive compared to Toronto. If they are asking me to come to calgary, for me there is no choice, I will just face it.

I will insist them to take the digital picture in the airport. Thanks for your advice.

Thanks
Arun.

I have a question regarding goods to follow: can someone please answer:
It is advised that the each goods/box of goods should have the list with it the one you get stamped at teh POE when you land. However, I am landing but will be mailing my goods before I land and will not have the paper work for the goods to follow so how am I going to send the paper with the goods but they will be goods tofollow since they will be arriving my mail..? Thanks,

Johar Ali said:
I have a question regarding goods to follow: can someone please answer:
It is advised that the each goods/box of goods should have the list with it the one you get stamped at teh POE when you land. However, I am landing but will be mailing my goods before I land and will not have the paper work for the goods to follow so how am I going to send the paper with the goods but they will be goods tofollow since they will be arriving my mail..? Thanks,

Is it possible to do this? I was questioned about this when I landed too. I mentioned to them that I will ship a car later. & the officer recommended to be present when the hauling truck was crossing the border.

sapota Thanks. However, in my case, I will be shipping about 20-30 boxes by mail and they will be arriving at different timings so it could cost me a fortune to be there at the crossing border, especially if each box is arriving at a differetn time and day..
Can you or some one throw light on this issue please...

Johar Ali said:
sapota Thanks. However, in my case, I will be shipping about 20-30 boxes by mail and they will be arriving at different timings so it could cost me a fortune to be there at the crossing border, especially if each box is arriving at a differetn time and day..
Can you or some one throw light on this issue please...

I guess you are fine as long as these boxes dont get stuck in customs. Even if they get stuck, you are fine as you can claim them after you land. But since packages crossing US-Canada border are pretty lax in terms of customs( I am guessing), I think you should be fine.

sapota1 said:
Is it possible to do this? I was questioned about this when I landed too. I mentioned to them that I will ship a car later. & the officer recommended to be present when the hauling truck was crossing the border.
thanks, BTW: how much did it cost you to ship your car and from where. SO I guess you flew in and shipped your car? Did you recieve you car yet. How did you know when your car is arriving at the POE? and how did you come to the POE?
Thanks

To Johar

I have not moved to Canada yet. I have 1.5 yrs more on my H1 in US. I will move after that. But When I told the officer that since I am currently farther than driving distance to Canada, I would have to use a moving truck to transport my car. He said that if I do so, It would be better if I am present when the cars cross the border. I guess that as long as the driver of the truck which is moving your car has all the copies of your paperwork, I think that should be fine too.

Good luck with ur move.

Re-Enter without using AP

Johar,

My H1 stamping on the passport was expired. I have a valid H1 approval and also AP. I do not want to use my AP while coming back from the Canada.

Can i enter back using 30 day automatic validation rule with expired stamping and valid approval notice?

Thanks
Katnev

Landing fee refund

I got my passport stamped. I am primary applicant. My wife and son are dependent applicant.

Now, I am planning to land myself to get canadian PR.

If my wife does not land. Will I get her $715 landing fee refund (in the scenario that I will land and she will not land)? Is it possible?

Hi Metaman,

Where I can get the goods to follow list form ? Is their any specific format?

Please let me know as i am not having any idea about this.

Thanks
Arun

Ask at the port of entry. They will give Goods to follow form. Meanwhile you note down on a papers all the items (with serial number, model no, qty etc)

Good Luck

divakarap said:
Ask at the port of entry. They will give Goods to follow form. Meanwhile you note down on a papers all the items (with serial number, model no, qty etc)

Good Luck

Thanks divakarap. I will do the same.

Thanks for your help.

Arun

metaman said:
I used this.
Thank you so much metaman.

This form I will use for goods to follow.

Should I mention currently taking items anywhere in the customs form ?

Thanks for your help.

Thanks
Arun

metaman

Do you have to fill the goods to follow list by hand ? is that ok or does it have to be typed ?
Do you know if there is a "fillable form" which can be typed.
How detailed should you get on the form in case of utensiles, household appliances etc ?
Thanks

texancanadian said:
Do you have to fill the goods to follow list by hand ? is that ok or does it have to be typed ?
Do you know if there is a "fillable form" which can be typed.
How detailed should you get on the form in case of utensiles, household appliances etc ?
Thanks
either fill them by hand or use an XL file make it looks like the original form and then cut and paste and photocopy. This what I am going to do.. Details go by the forms for electronics but for clothes I am going to mention by the box. like 5 shirts 4 sweaters ets. separate sheet for each box.

Lets hear some experienced people opinion see what they say...