landing experience

Re

Am I required to open an account at all in Canada once I land ?

I understand that I should be carrying around $10,000 in cashiers check, but why can't I just bring them back to US after landing ??? Do I have to leave all that sum in Canada if I don't intend to relocate anytime in the near future ?

For IAmTiredOfThis,

I did not open a bank acct. Just brought the money back to the US.

I did carry cashiers cheques for $10,000. But I was not asked to show them. Just asked how much I was declaring at the point of entry.

I think they want you to show the amt you declared when you applied.

Hope this helps.
Nita.

Landing Papers and Documentation with a wrong Passport #

Hi,

I had received the landing papers in September itself.

Currently I am contemplating a trip to Canada either towards Dec end or in the month of Jan since my PR Visa is valid until Feb 2004.

My PR Visa has the wrong Passport Number - the 1st digit is wrong and so also on the COPR. However, when I received a phone call from the Buffalo Consulate that it should be ok and the Immigration Officer can correct this. Has anyone faced this issue before? Hopefully there should be no issues.

The current question in mind is

I will be taking the COPR, Passport, Proof of Funds documents. Are there any other documents needed? Do I need a local address in Canada?

Also in my application I had mentioned Ottawa as the preferred
choice of destination. Can I land in Toronto or Vancouver instead?

Thanks,
Krishna

Planning to visit Toronto for stamping.

Hello All,
First of all I apologize if this not the right thread to ask this question.
I am planning to visit Toronto early December to get my PR stamped and come back to US, either next day or a day after.
I am little confused whether to go by road or fly. I would really appriciate if someone can let me know what would be the best way. And as I mentioned I am planning to come back the next day, do I need carry huge bagagge or can I just take one bag and declare all items in goods to follow.
I am also nerves about the questions which will be posed at the immig/customs canadian port. Especially what should be answered about the job in US.

Lastly,
If anyone out here planning to visit in the same time frame from around MA/CT area. I would be more than happy to share the ride (Road/Air).

Thanks in Advance.

My landing experience

We landed successfully on 11/27 at the Peace Arch border crossing (WA). I told the officers that I was returning back to the US and that I would be in Canada after a month since my h1 was expiring in a month. They did not ask for declaration of any money, though I was carrying 5k in cashiers check. All they asked for were the passports and the relevant forms (cpr and b4e - goods to follow), nothing else.
We also applied for our SIN cards the next day at an HRDC office. It seems the PR card is now being mailed in 3-4 weeks. The whole process, immigration and customs, took about an hour and was smooth. It's better to have your forms filled out and organized before hand. The goods to follow document needs serial numbers for high value items, like car, electronics etc and photos for jewelry.
PS: The sales tax for buying a car in BC is a whopping 14.5% !!!

Smooth landing and return

Landed on Nov 27th, Vancouver airport. Pretty much the same experience as mentioned by others. Not too many questions. Took my photograph, didn't see the cashiers check (I had 2 checks of US $ 5k each). The officer did remind me that I cannot travel back to Canada on the visa issued with the landing papers.

Got back from Canada & some questions

I just got back from canada last week.
Landing was ok but at the border [Massena, NY] they did not want to see the money and also they told me that I dod not need to give them goods to follow list. I can bring my goods in next time [I told them I will be going back to canada soon].
Before that I went for Special registration and did exit interview. That person was rude [US INS].
I applied my SIN, opened bank acct. I heard from my relative over canada that they received PR card by mail [in 2 weeks].
Now when comimg back using VT - Montreal border the US INS guys were very nice. The only problem was they refused to do special registration although I insisted.
Well, then I was planning to go to local INS [at orlando, FL] within 30 days but in the mean time that rule got scrapped and now local INS office does not want to do the registration.
I do not know what to do now. I don't want to beg then for SR :confused:

Take care,
Let me know if you know any people in similar case.

Re: Got back from Canada & some questions

Originally posted by rim
I just got back from canada last week.
Landing was ok but at the border [Massena, NY] they did not want to see the money and also they told me that I dod not need to give them goods to follow list. I can bring my goods in next time [I told them I will be going back to canada soon].
Before that I went for Special registration and did exit interview. That person was rude [US INS].
I applied my SIN, opened bank acct. I heard from my relative over canada that they received PR card by mail [in 2 weeks].
Now when comimg back using VT - Montreal border the US INS guys were very nice. The only problem was they refused to do special registration although I insisted.
Well, then I was planning to go to local INS [at orlando, FL] within 30 days but in the mean time that rule got scrapped and now local INS office does not want to do the registration.
I do not know what to do now. I don't want to beg then for SR :confused:

Take care,
Let me know if you know any people in similar case.

Hmm!! This SR (Special Registration) is a pain (both for INS officers and us). But I think you are OK. You did everything in you part. I would suggest you to keep a paper where you should write down the date, name of the officer who told you that you don't need to do SR.

Last edited by a moderator:
SR Means?

Pardon my ignorance. Could someone explain what SR means?. It would be helful to me for my trip this week.
Thanks,

Re: Documents

I am planning to fly to Toronto for my landing some time in Jan.
Can anyone reccomend a location in the Toronto downtown area which would be convinent to stay for first time visitors. My main tasks there would be to apply for a SIN card, open up a bank account and just to get a feel of the area.
I am planning to give my friend's apartment address for the PR card.
Regarding the goods to follow list what kind of things should be on that ? Car, furniture, Jwellery, money transfers in the future, etc, etc. Is that form available on the net to be filled before hand ?

Do we need to pay any duty on the goods to follow later when we take them ?

Would really appreciate if someone could answer the above questions.

Thanks,
ks1974

Hi KS1974,

I am planning to fly to Toronto for my landing some time in Jan.
Can anyone reccomend a location in the Toronto downtown area which would be convinent to stay for first time visitors.
THERE ARE SOME GUESTHOUSE SERVICES FOR THIS. SEARCH PREVIOUS POSTINGS FOR THEM. THERE IS ALSO A HOJO AT SHERBOURNE & BLOOR. THEY CHARGE CND$52/NIGHT. BEST DEAL FOR A FEW NIGHTS ATLEAST.

My main tasks there would be to apply for a SIN card, open up a bank account and just to get a feel of the area.
I am planning to give my friend's apartment address for the PR card.
THATS OK. YOU CAN CHANGE LATER.

Regarding the goods to follow list what kind of things should be on that ? Car, furniture, Jwellery, money transfers in the future, etc, etc. Is that form available on the net to be filled before hand ?
YOU NEED TO MAKE A LIST (WITH SERIAL NUMBERS IF ELECTRONICS, CARS etc) AND DESCRIPTION AND VALUE. NOT SURE ABOUT THE FORM, BUT IF IT EXISTS THEN ITS AT http://www.cic.gc.ca

Do we need to pay any duty on the goods to follow later when we take them ?
NO. THE FIRST TIME YOU CAN GET ANYTHNG DUTY FREE.

Would really appreciate if someone could answer the above questions.

SORRY FOR THE CAPS. I MEANT TO HIGHLIGHT BUT CAN'T FIND A FAST WAY TO DO IT.

ALL THE BEST
RAJ

hotel near vancouver airport

hi,
anyone can recommend cheap hotel near vancouver airport ? I want to spend one night...so...not interested in renting car and going far away...

immigrant Visa Validity

Does anyone please post the immigrant Visa validity time? I just got request for passports where they mention that "immigrant Visa" will be valid for only limited time and if I don't enter Canada before that I have to reappy again.

Anyone who have already got landing papers and immigrant Visa please reply.

Thanks in advance

Re: immigrant Visa Validity

Originally posted by vahope4gc
Does anyone please post the immigrant Visa validity time? I just got request for passports where they mention that "immigrant Visa" will be valid for only limited time and if I don't enter Canada before that I have to reappy again.

Anyone who have already got landing papers and immigrant Visa please reply.

Thanks in advance

Your "Immigrant Visa" should be valid not more than the expiration date of you and your dependent's (whichever comes first) medical expiration (1 year from the medical date), and not more than the expiration of you and your dependent's passports (whichever comes first). Bottom-line is... among these dates whichever comes first that will be the date for the visa expiration.

Originally posted by tarantula
Kalpesh,
That's not a bad deal you are getting on the tickets. I don't think they remove the i94 at SFO and give you a new one at Vancouver. As for a stamp, immigration may put one in your passport. Try creating a new thread if you want to be dead sure of this issue.
Yes, you can give any Canadian address, it does not have to be in the province you are landing.
=============
Can you tell me how to get the Cashier'c CHeck in the US. Also, are there any specific requirements for pictures, if so, where so I get them.

Thanks!
Pankaj

Hi everybody,

We (my wife, daughter and I) are planning to land Canada in March 2004 and will back to US within a week. We don't know which way is better for landing, by air or by road? I heard somebody was required to claim their cars at the Canadian border. So I think landing by air may be better. My question is about Goods to Follow list. Is there any time limit for the following goods? What about I send the claimed following goods to Canada two years later including my car and electronics etc? Thanks.

You should be fine flying into Canada from US. As a precaution, you might want to keep your 194 separate from your passport. We went by rental car from seattle to vancouver and did not face any issues on both sides.
If you take your own car, you will be asked to declare it. On the goods to follow, document(b4.pdf), it is valid 1 yr from the date you land. So, after that, you will be asked to pay customs duty on the goods you bring in. If you are planning to add jewelry to the list, you will need photos of them, digital onto a cd or in print. It makes the process a whole lot faster if you fill in the forms before you go. On the goods to follow, all electronics will need a serial number and the car's vin number needs to be indicated in case you are going to bring it in.

Last edited by a moderator: