landing experience

Using a rental car while landing from USA. Any possible problems?

I was planning to fly up to Buffalo and rent a car from AVIS... then land using my friend's address in Toronto... then come back from Toronto to U.S.A. in 2 to 3 days (Same route. Will be using my H1B visa-stamp). I believe many people did the similar thing. This is something I didn't do before. So it will be very helpful to learn from experienced people in this forum. Thanks.

My questions are:
1) Is there any issue with rental Car Company to take their car out of country (even though I will return to them at the same location)?
2) If there any issue with Canadian Customs or Immigration (I will be using my US DL)?
3) Do I need to have any extra papers beside the rental agreement?
4) Is there any issues with insurance? I usually don't buy any extra insurance when I rent in U.S.A. (Credit card covers the rental-car)?

There is no issue.....to take a rental car..in case they ask you that why U need to have a rental car from US...just tell them that it is One way rental. Dont inform them that you have intentions to go back........they will never investigate.....just tell them that you are planning to settle permanently in Canada.
Also dont hand over your I-94 to Canadian immigration..they will ask you but tell them that it was taken by US immigration...

Good Luck......

Re: Landing

Is there a problem if I tell the Canadian immigration officer
that I would be returning to US and then moving to Canada for good at a later time.
Its common sense on their part if they see my H1 visa on my passport and all my bank accounts are in the US and I have a job in the US that I will not be staying in Canada right now.

I believe I can stay for 3 years outside Canada . What petition do I have to file to be a returning immigrant ? and when do I do it ?

In my case I am planning to work for couple of more years in the US and then go to business school in Canada.

Thanks,
ks1974

Questions for Safdarali(or anyone else)

1) Even if they take the I94 form when someone returns back to US they should get a new I 94 form upon entry.

2) Why should you lie them about you returning to US as if someone has rented a car and has a job in US , he/she is coming back to US .

3) Canadian immigation officially allows a PR to stay outside Canada for 3 years in any given 5 years ..so where is the problem ?

My Landing Experience Update

Hi,

I landed on Sept 6th on Air Canada at Toronto International Airport (YYZ).

The entire process was smooth and quick. At the first Immigration and Customs Counter, I presented my passport and customs declaration form. I told the officer this is my first time landing. He said so you are immigrating, please proceed to the immigration counter.

There was a lady officer at the immigration counter, very friendly and in good spirits. She asked me how much money I had. I handed over the cashiers cheque and told her I had some exchange too. She said she wanted the total sum. Told her my fathers name was truncated on the CPR and she made a note of it on the CPR. She asked for my address in Canada. Filled all that she needed to and then asked me to sign. I asked her if she would take my pictures for the PR Card. She said she had it. I asked her if the dimensions were okay. She said it would be fine. She handed me the 'welcome to canada' package and wished me good luck. I thanked her and wished her a good day.

Then at the customs counter, she asked me for the goods to follow list. She went through it, stamped it, made the necessary entries in the system. I had my laptop and camera with me.. and had listed it seperately. She entered the total value on both lists and sent me to the cashiers counter with two copies of the forms. One she kept and to the other. she attached a 0$ receipt and gave it back to me.

So that concludes the long process .... just so that a new one begins :))) ....

Got back from Toronto only last night... its a beautiful city but nonetheless everyone is grim about work... so I dont know whats up next.. but then again one thing at a time.

all the best.. and if you have questions, please ask.. be it about the city or the immigration process.

-Tanvi

Hi! ks1974-

1) Even if they take the I94 form when someone returns back to US they should get a new I 94 form upon entry.
ANS: Taking new I-94 is time consuming why not to use the old one.

2) Why should you lie them about you returning to US as if someone has rented a car and has a job in US , he/she is coming back to US .
ANS: As per my expereince & few of others Canadian Immigrationm officers wants you to be in Canada not back to US but as per law one can stay outside Canada for 3 yrs in one go.

3) Canadian immigation officially allows a PR to stay outside Canada for 3 years in any given 5 years ..so where is the problem ?
ANS: The probelem is with person to person. I mean who is asking you all about? I mean immigration officer. Most of them are very cool but few are not.

Re: landing

Hi Tanvi,
How much money are you expected to carry for the first time landing ?
I am planning to land by road and return back on the same day . Also did you apply for your SIN card ?
If I have a car(and other valuables) in the US do I have mention it in the items to follow form right now and can just do it later ?
Did they tell you when do you have to come back to Canada to pick up your PR Card ?

Appreciate your answers for the above.

Ks1974-

You need to show the amt which you mentioned in your application. I beleive it is CDN 10000.00. You need not to come back for PR card pickup. They will mail it to the address in canada which you will provide at the time of landing. You can tell them address of your freind or relative who will mail you PR card.
You need to provide them a list of goods to follow at the time of landing in which you can mention the Car & other stuff to be followed.

Re: Landing

Thanks Safdarali,
When you say "you need to show 10000CDN " that means
I can get a bank statement from my American bank about the money or do I need to carry it .
Lot of people have been saying that they have got letters mailed to the Canadian addresses given by them asking them to come and pick up the PR card on a specified day.
Is this process different for different people or what ?

Thanks,
ks1974

You have to take Certified Check or Money Order in your name. Bank statement will not work.
Also the PR pick up is for the former landed immigrants for all landing now will get their cards at the address which they provide at the time of landing.

for ks1974

most of your questions have been answered by safdarali.

Processing time for PR card its 4 weeks and for SIN card 3-5 weeks.

They will mail the cards to my friends address.

-Tanvi

Sorry for posting my landing experience after 4 months of landing in to Canada. I went to Canada along with my family (My self, wife & child) by road through Windsor in the first week of June’03.

I planed my trip to go to Canada on my own car. Before entering in to Tunnel, US Police officer stopped me and asked about my status and everything. Explained him that I am going to Canada to complete my Landing formalities. Then he asked me how much money you are carrying? I said $10000 USD. Then he asked in which form it is (money)? I said Bankers Chq. He asked, did you sign on the chq. I didn’t get, why he is asking? I said no. He asks me to show the chq. Luckily it was not signed by me. Later he explained that, if I would sign on back of the chq, I suppose to pay US Customs on the whole amount of $10000. As per US Customs, if I am taking $10000 or more, I have to pay duty…….So guys take care of this issue before you are going.

Reached Windsor (Tunnel Port) around 7:30 PM. Customs officers asked are you importing car to Canada. I said no. I want to add this in the list of items to follow later. They said it is not possible, you have to declare the car now.

Requested Immigration officers but they did not accepted. So finally returned back to Detroit (with out completing any landing formalities). Night stayed back in Detroit. Next day hired a car and landed in Canada.

Immigration officer gave me tough time. In fact I didn’t prepare anything before.

1. Do you have job in USA? – I said yes I have.
2. Why are you landing now in Canada? – I want to settle down in Canada. I got my approved PR. It is going to expire by this month end. So I am landing now.
3. When DO you move permanently to Canada? – After completion of my current assignment.
4. When this assignment going to complete? – in 45 days time
5. So now you are not going to Canada to settle down? – No I want to work from Canada for some time. Meanwhile I want to look for house, school etc.
6. Then she said, Now I don’t allow you to apply for your PR cards. – I asked why? She said, you don’t have any permanent address in Canada. You are saying you are going to look an apartment.
7. Then I asked, how come you expect my permanent address in Canada? Just landing into Canada. I am going to stay some time with my friend in Toronto. Let me apply for my PR card with his address. She didn’t allow me to do so. Finally gave me one application, and asked me to send that form by mail after I found place in Canada. Hope in 2 days I called their toll free number and applied for PR card.

Luckily we all received our PR cards with in 30 days. But till date we have not applied for our Health cards. Received our SIN numbers.

Interview

Hi! I'm Nilay Shah..I'd an interview today in LA, and at the end of the interview, I was told since I only have 67 points and current criteria is 70 points, but Candian Immigration is in process of lowering down the points to 67 points, but it may take few months, so I'll have to wait till then, and when I asked so do I take the outcome of this interview in a positive form or in a negative form, he is said neither.....just wait till we notify you. Now at this point I'm not sure whats going on with my case...if someone can help me with my doubs, It will be highly appreciated...thanks...

Nilay

here is my landing process:

i landed through toronto airport, on sept 22nd direct from india. first, i went upto the immigration officer, told him that i am landing for the first time. he asked me to proceed to the immigration office. there they took my landing papers, asked me to show the settlement funds, made a note of that in my imm5292 and then told me that i need to retake my photos. they took my photos, then they asked me for an address in canada. i gave my friends address and no more questions asked. i was sent to the customs folks next, where i gave in my "goods to follow" list along with my "goods to declare". she made entries into her system, wrote a few things in passport and additional forms and gave me a copy for future when i move permanently. so everything ended well at the airport. the whole process took about 75 mins and everyone was very polite and kind and everyone welcomed me to canada. so it was a very nice experience, except it was pouring outside the airport though.

the next day, i went to scarborough hrdc office and applied for my SIN card. then opened my bank account, depostied my funds and i was done with everything. i did not apply for the health card as i did not have address proof with me then. i stayed in toronto for a weeks time, went around there, then niagara and i am back in india now to continue with my current job. so there is my landing experience. if anyone wants to ask me questions, you are welcome to do so.

the only problem that i am facing now is with the "goods to follow" list. actually i landed from india but will be bringing in my things from both india and the US at a later point in time when i move permanently. but i was told by the customs officer that i cannot do that. if i land from india and give a list of "goods to follow" then only goods that i bring in from india at a later time will be accepted. for anything that i am bringing in from the US, i will have to pay duty on it if i dont have the original receipts that i bought them in the US. for my PC, i do have the receitps but not for the others. so i will have to pay duties on them, i guess. any comments or other people's experience in this regard? i would be really interested in hearing them, thanks.

Port of entry ??

Applied for canadian immi. [land at ontario] end of nov, 2002. Got passport request on 6th Oct, 2003.
I am planning to land at the begining of nov, 2003.

My questions,
1. Can I land through VT-Montreal border [under quebec] although I applied to land at ontario border [like toronto, Ottawa].

2. If not then I may go to Massena [seaway international bridge] or Thousand islands bridge, those have borders with ontario but close to vermont [I am living in VT]. Does anybody have any experience with those borders ? or heard anything ?

3. Another question is I am from SR [special registration] country so what is the procedure ? Do I need to go to US POE first and notify them ? or call them at canadian POE ?

4. I am planning to get back within 2 days using VT POE [I have valid H1 Visa, already revalidated at state dept.] do you see any problem doing so ?

Please give me some of your wisdom.
Take care,

Here is my landing experience….

Arrived at Toronto Pearson Int’l Airport on the 9th of Oct around noon. First met customs where I told the lady that I’m landing for the first time & gave her my customs declaration form & passport. She then told me to proceed to the immigration counter.

I was the only one in line & lady officer called me up. She was very friendly & pleasant. I presented my landing paper along with the passport. She then asked me for the settlement amount. I told her the amount & she wrote it on my landing papers. Did not ask for proof. She then got me to sign the paper & at that point I asked her if I need to take a photo for the PR card. She said the one on the landing paper will be fine. She also handed me a Welcome book to Canada & told me to proceed to customs. The landing process took 10 minutes.

Customs took a little longer as the officer was a little clueless about the “Goods to follow list”. But with the help of another officer the process was very smooth. He stamped both copies & handed over my copy with $0 receipt attached. Also gave me two pamphlets which states in detail about the process of brining in my car and the modifications that have to be done etc. The entire process at customs took about 20 minutes.

Same day went to the HRDC in Richmond Hill and applied for the SIN.

The return trip back to the US was also very smooth. Travelling on H1 which was revalidated by the State Dept. The US immigration officer just asked for how long I had been in Canada. That was all.

So that concludes the “Landing Process”!

If anyone has any questions I will be happy to help.

Hello Pitt

Hello Pitt,
Congratulation! Could you please post your timeline so I can compare to mine?

Many Thanks,

Originally posted by Pitt
Here is my landing experience….

Arrived at Toronto Pearson Int’l Airport on the 9th of Oct around noon. First met customs where I told the lady that I’m landing for the first time & gave her my customs declaration form & passport. She then told me to proceed to the immigration counter.

I was the only one in line & lady officer called me up. She was very friendly & pleasant. I presented my landing paper along with the passport. She then asked me for the settlement amount. I told her the amount & she wrote it on my landing papers. Did not ask for proof. She then got me to sign the paper & at that point I asked her if I need to take a photo for the PR card. She said the one on the landing paper will be fine. She also handed me a Welcome book to Canada & told me to proceed to customs. The landing process took 10 minutes.

Customs took a little longer as the officer was a little clueless about the “Goods to follow list”. But with the help of another officer the process was very smooth. He stamped both copies & handed over my copy with $0 receipt attached. Also gave me two pamphlets which states in detail about the process of brining in my car and the modifications that have to be done etc. The entire process at customs took about 20 minutes.

Same day went to the HRDC in Richmond Hill and applied for the SIN.

The return trip back to the US was also very smooth. Travelling on H1 which was revalidated by the State Dept. The US immigration officer just asked for how long I had been in Canada. That was all.

So that concludes the “Landing Process”!

If anyone has any questions I will be happy to help.