landing experience

Hi LA2003,

Thanx & here is my timeline....

Applied: 11/01/2001
File # 01/05/2002
Initial Ass 12/10/2002 (Interview waiver)
Medical 05/22/2003
Passport request 08/21/2003
Landing papers 09/04/2003
Landed in Toronto 10/09/2003

Re: Question for Pitt

Thanks for all the info. The question I had is how much money settling amount do u need to show.
Also do you have to deposit it in the bank in Canada or you could show and bring it back into US .

Thanks,
ks1974

For ks1974,

I carried a cashiers cheque for the amt I listed on my application. The lady officer did not ask to see the cheque but just asked how much I was carrying with me at the point of landing.

I would advise you to carry the amt you listed on your application as well just to be on the safe side. In some posts I have read that they have been asked to show proof of funds.

I did not open a bank acct in Canada. Brought the cheque back to the US.

Hope this info helps.

Nita.

Can you land on holiday?

Hello,

I am now planning to land on Canada around the end of this year, through the Seattle-BC border. I wonder whether one can land on Canada on public holiday, such as weekend (Sat and Sun) or Thanksgiving. If you do, how can you apply for PR (maple) card? And how can you apply for the SIN card? Also, anything else we should pay attention to (if you do land on holiday)?

Thank you very much in advance!

-f

Last edited by a moderator:
as far as i know, for the landing process, you can pretty much do it anyday through a border point or at any canadian airport. the immigration folks will have to be there 24 by 7 by 365. you are not required to complete your PR card application seperatly as it would be taken care with your initial landing process. but as far as applying for your SIN card, you need to be in canada for atleast one worknig day. i guess, they dont work on sat/sun or any other public holiday. so keep that in mind when you land there. at the minimum, you need to complete your landing process, apply for PR and apply for your SIN card along with your landing process trip to canada.

Best Route to Cross USA/Canada border from Chicago

Hi,
I will be visiting Toronto during Mid November to collect my PR card(I landed in Sept 2001 ,so have my IMM1000)
Per earlier postings from u guys I am little bit confused about Immigration Officers behaviour at POE.I will be travelling from Chicago will stay for couple of days in Toronto and return back to USA again.Will go via rented car.
At POE I don't want Canadian Immgration officer to take back my valid I94..but I don't want to lie to them also
Will it be a problem if I tell them that I will be visiting to collect my PR card(Showing them CIC call letter?) and then return back to USA and will permanently move to Canada within 2 months time
Will appreciate from you guys past expecrience which POE is better as far as Immigration Officers are concerned if I travel from Chicago?
In August 2003 I went via Buffello/Niagara border and I was through within 2 minutes!!But this time I am little bit worried!!
Appreciate you guys feedback/advice
Regards

cnatar02:

Thank you for your information!

And as for SIN, do you need to apply for it while you are landing first time, OR you may be able to only apply for PR card at the initial landing and apply for SIN card later (say the next time you go to Canada)? Any problem with that? Thank you.

-F

Originally posted by cnatar02
as far as i know, for the landing process, you can pretty much do it anyday through a border point or at any canadian airport. the immigration folks will have to be there 24 by 7 by 365. you are not required to complete your PR card application seperatly as it would be taken care with your initial landing process. but as far as applying for your SIN card, you need to be in canada for atleast one worknig day. i guess, they dont work on sat/sun or any other public holiday. so keep that in mind when you land there. at the minimum, you need to complete your landing process, apply for PR and apply for your SIN card along with your landing process trip to canada.

it depends on your situation and needs. i would suggest you to apply for your SIN card as well, if you can. for maintaining your PR status in canada, you need to file for your tax returns anyways in jan/feb 2004. for that, you sure need your SIN number. so its upto you. i dont think it is absolutely necessary to apply for your SIN card unless you need it for employment or bank account opening in canada on your first trip.

others - if i am wrong in saying the above on applying SIN card, please comment on it and give your thoughts.

cnatar02:

Thank you a million!

-F

Originally posted by cnatar02
it depends on your situation and needs. i would suggest you to apply for your SIN card as well, if you can. for maintaining your PR status in canada, you need to file for your tax returns anyways in jan/feb 2004. for that, you sure need your SIN number. so its upto you. i dont think it is absolutely necessary to apply for your SIN card unless you need it for employment or bank account opening in canada on your first trip.

others - if i am wrong in saying the above on applying SIN card, please comment on it and give your thoughts.

Please advice

Myself and my wife filled for canadian PR and got approved. We had baby born in USA, we did not add her to the PR process.

1. Will there be any issue because we did not add her
2. Since she is US citizen she can travel to Canada without any visa. Will there be any issue if we take her with us for landing process.

Please advice.

Funds

I have mentioned more than $10,000 in my appication should I be taking the entire amount when I go for landing....

landing process questions to Nita,Tanvi

Hello Pitt,Tanvi and others
I am planning to land in near future. I have few questions.
Even though I mentioned toronto in application, can I goto vancouver for landing.
Do you have a copy of goods to follow document? If so, can anyone please attach it , which I can modify.
Do I have to be there on weekday? Can I just go on christmas time and come back same day or next day?

Thanks,
Kalpesh

Vancouver is fine

Yes, you can go to Vancouver. The peace arch post at Blaine,WA is open 24 hours/7days. So you can even go on the weekend. But if you are planning on applying for a SIN card(which enables you to work in Canada), you will have to do that on a weekday. FYI, thanksgiving is a working day there.

Link to border wait times:
http://www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca/customs/general/times/menu-e.html
http://www.aaawa.com/travel/border.html

Link to goods to follow:
I think this is the one. Look at form b4 also.

http://www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca/E/pbg/cf/b4a/b4a-00b.pdf

any idea

Hi

We sent our passport for stamping, they just return the passport without any stamping or letter ... but they did not return our photos what does it mean.. Any idea pls

Hi Tarantula,
Can I fly directly from SFO to vancouver and come back same day. I am not interested in SIN card or anything. Just wanted to land by the given deadline and come back to US?

Can you provide me the link for SIN card office website ? How far is it from YVR ( vancouver international airport)?

Hi fromEast and others..

Anyone leaving in bay area, california...wants to drive to vancouver for landing process? If we have 3-4 persons..we can rent a car to take care of landing process over thanxgiving or any other weekend?

Thanks,
Kalpesh

Yes

You can fly from SFO to vancouver but I doubt the flights are cheap. You may get better deals flying from SJC to Seattle/Vancouver flying alaska or southwest. It's only a 2 hr drive from Seattle to the border. There should not be any issues with the i94 when flying into Canada (since it's considered a domestic flight). You will have to do immigration/customs at the airport . If you are applying for the SIN card by mail, you will have to send in your original documents such as CPR etc. which is a risk. I do not know the website but I do know you will have to mail to an address in New Brunswick. It should be available under the hrdc link I posted above. See that link for other HRDC offices around Vancouver. There are quite a few of them in and around Van.

Hi Tarantula,
Thanks for your prompt responses. I called airlines yesterday, they are giving tickets for 175$ roundtrip to vancouver. SJC to seattle is also around 160-180 range. I just want to land and come back next day. I am not interested in SIN at this point. That should be okay right?

If I come back in flight from vancouver, Do they put some kind of stamp that I left the country on this date?
Also I have a relative in toronto area, so I am planning to give their address for PR card at the airport. should that be okay, or has to be someone in vancouver area?

Thanks again,
Kalpesh

Kalpesh,
That's not a bad deal you are getting on the tickets. I don't think they remove the i94 at SFO and give you a new one at Vancouver. As for a stamp, immigration may put one in your passport. Try creating a new thread if you want to be dead sure of this issue.
Yes, you can give any Canadian address, it does not have to be in the province you are landing.

Hi Kalpesh,

I flew into Pearson Int'l last month. They did not take out my I94 and nothing was stamped on my passport on the way in.

On the way back to the US the passport was stamped by immigration officer & I was only asked how many days I was in Canada.

You should not have any problems.
Good luck
Nita.