landing experience

ravi_140 said:
please let us know once you get back to USA, since I am in the same boat my I-140 pending and I am in 8th year extention..

here are my case details...

Canadian Immigration medicals expiring on feb16 before that I need to go and landed there, But my h1 is expiring on march 20 , so would be a problem if I come back with AVR?

and also If go for visa stamping at consulate do they chances for rejecting becuase of I am in 8th year extension...

any GURU's please put your suggestion..

Thanks in Advance

Dont worry, I am also on the 8th year extension and they still let me in. AVR works...as BigBoy said, as long as you meet the AVR requirements. Make sure you read and understand the AVR requirements.
The officer will ask questions,make sure your answer is crisp,clear and to the point( this applies to both the borders :) ). Good luck with your landing process.

Automatic Visa Revalidation

Hi,

I have a couple of questions on which I need help.

1. Can I use AVR since I am on 7th year in H1 and I have expired H1 (from 2003) stamped in my passport from my old company. Also I have changed my company and the new approved I-797 is from the new company, does it effect in any way?

2. I am from Pakistan and am not sure whether I can use AVR to re-enter US.

3. Can you send me any link which explain AVR in details.

4. I plan to cross border to Vancouver. Does any one have any experience coming back to US from British Columbia using AVR?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
YES you can use Avr

arrow007 said:
Hi,

I have a couple of questions on which I need help.

1. Can I use AVR since I am on 7th year in H1 and I have expired H1 (from 2003) stamped in my passport from my old company. Also I have changed my company and the new approved I-797 is from the new company, does it effect in any way?

2. I am from Pakistan and am not sure whether I can use AVR to re-enter US.

3. Can you send me any link which explain AVR in details.

4. I plan to cross border to Vancouver. Does any one have any experience coming back to US from British Columbia using AVR?

Thanks for your help in advance.

YOU CAN USE AVE FOR FURHTER DETAIL YOU CAN CALL ME I WILL SEND YOU PM PLEASE CHECK YOUR PM

Landing experience/Advice

Hi all,

I recently landed in Canada and came back to USA on the same day through peace bridge. I used AVR , no problem. I'll post my landing experience soon.

Here I have a question,

Do I have to mention this visit to cananda as "port of entry" in AR-11(change of address in USA) form ? there is no stamp in my Passport or no new I-94 issued while comming back to USA ? (just he checked Passport, valid I-94,H Visa papers and allow me to enter USA).

Thanks for your advice.

Hi,

Last Sunday (24th DEC 2006) I finished my landing process and returned to US. I used AVR successfully with out any problems. I traveled through "Rainbow Bridge" Niagara Falls.

Canada Point:
I traveled along with my family members and entered into Canada. They checked all my papers and asked me to submit I-94 cards. I politely refused them to give my valid I-94 cards. I told them I need some more time to move to Canada. My kids are studying in US and I am working in US. So I need I-94's to enter in to US. I can move to Canada by end of their academic year. They asked me my permanent address in Canada. I provided my friend's address. But they refused and asked me to show any rental agreement or mortgage papers on my name. I asked them this is my first landing and how can I give my permanent address in Canada? They gave one paper and asked me to fill and post once I settled in Canada. Nearly five people discussed and finally finished all my landing process. But they added one line on my papers "not taking residence at this time". I have no idea what that means. I asked them why you written this line on my papers. They told me this indicates I am not supposed to take medical cards unless provided permanent address. That is fine to me. They didn't take any photos for my family or me.

US Point:
He checked all our passports and H1/H4 papers. He swiped our expired Visas on his machine and asked me two questions.
1. How long you are in Canada?
- I am landed immigrant and just now I finished my landing process and returned to US.
2. Where you going?
- RI

He returned all our papers and passports with out taking any I-94's. No stamping on my Passport.

JDK98

I am planning on visiting Canada with my wife to complete the PR process sometime in March 2007. I have few questions if someone can help me with.

1. Can I use AVR since I am on 7th year and both our visa have expired but we do have valid I-94? (I am a Pakistani citizen - if that makes any difference what so ever)

2. Are there any details about AVR that someone can recommend?

3. What kind of documentation, I would need to carry?

4. I will drive by a Rental Car via Buffalo. NY. Do I need to ensure certain steps about the rental process?

5. Goods to follow - Any hints or advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Landed Jan 1st 2007

First I would like to thank everyone who posted their experience on this board, which helped me quite a lot!

I landed from Rainbow bridge , Niagara Falls on Jan 1st 2007. The landing experience was just OK. Officer asked me about statement of accounts, I showed him all the bank statements, no question about carrying cash or anything else. Asked the address if any, I tried to give friends address, he refused to take that and instead gave me form to submit when i move to canada.That was the immigration part.

For the customs part, I WOULD ADVISE ALL TO NOT TO TAKE THEIR OWN CAR WHILE LANDING BY CAR, since i went in my own car the officer was very adamant and wanted me import the car during the time of landing, but since i was aware of the hassles involved after importing , I did not take my title with me, so i was able to not import, but I was not allowed to take the car in canada and was asked to return to USA from the canadian immigration . Although all my goods of list and other stuff was stamped by the customs. Custom officer told me that I can come back again using a rental car, or cab or walk across the bridge.

I hope this helps planning for landing in canada from US.

Question

Hi all,

I recently landed in Canada and came back to USA on the same day through peace bridge. I used AVR , no problem. I'll post my landing experience soon.

Here I have a question,

Do I have to mention this visit to cananda as "port of entry" in AR-11(change of address in USA) form ? there is no stamp in my Passport or no new I-94 issued while comming back to USA ? (just he checked Passport, valid I-94,H Visa papers and allow me to enter USA).

Thanks for your advice.

landing

can we land any where in canada , if we have any specified destination.

actually I have specified toronto as my desitination when I appleid intially , and now one of my freind living in vancover I have decided to land in vancover.

is there will be a problem if I land some where other than specifeid destination?

Guru's please suggest.

The Avr Hell

Dear All

I landed in Canada on 8th of Jan, The landing was very smooth and was a very pleasent one.
But coming back to US with AVR was hell.
From the experience, I have a feeling that , IF YOU WANT TO USE AVR, THEN LAND IN A CAR.
I was flying out of Vancouver and the US Immigration officer I first approached did not even knew that there is a provision for AVR, so he went in and consulted with his senior officer, came back , and said that It is OK to use AVR, and I was sent to another counter.
The officer there, was adament that there is something wrong that I am trying to use AVR without applying for a visa , He was claiming that somthing fishy in, me landing as a immigrant in Canada while working in US. In short I had to explain from top to bottom how canadian immigration works and also what are the backlog problems we legal immigrants face and the hurdles in getting American green card, I was sent for interrogation again to make sure that I am consistant in my answers. IT WAS HELL; so it was almost 1 and 1/2 hours before I was granted permssion back to U.S. I anticipated this and cheked in almost 4 hours before departure so i did not have to miss my plane.

My advice is If you are flying to Land as a immigrant it is better to make an appointment with the consulate and get a visa before you fly back rather than using the AVR. I was fortunate to get back.

Good luck to all

Canada Landing sites?

I plan to land soon. I am currently in Sacramento, CA, USA. From what I read on the forum, it seems that landing by car is a better way(?) If so, where are the possible landing sites in Canada in my case? (In my initial application , I listed Vancouver as the destination. Do I have to land in BC?)

Any tip will be greatly appreciated. :)

I plan to land soon. I am currently in Sacramento, CA, USA. From what I read on the forum, it seems that landing by car is a better way(?)

-- NO. Choose whatever that is convenient to you.

where are the possible landing sites in Canada in my case? (In my initial application , I listed Vancouver as the destination. Do I have to land in BC?)

-- Sacramento is not a border city. If you want to land by car, fly to Seatle and then drive to Vancouver - it is a short drive. But you can land anywhere in Canada except Quebec, even if you have listed Vancouver as your intended destination.

I read the thread, What is the difference between using AVR in land and through air (fly to). Why so many drive instead of taking the flight?

And why is it important not to surrender I-94 to the Canadian authorities?

Thanks

I read the thread, What is the difference between using AVR in land and through air (fly to).

-- No difference.

Why so many drive instead of taking the flight?

-- Convenience (or may be the perception)

And why is it important not to surrender I-94 to the Canadian authorities?

-- Because if you surrender your I-94 to the cdn authorities, you CANNOT use the AVR.

Thanks so much Big Boy! Your post/help is really appreciated. I read the whole thread but couldn't find an answer to the 1-94 question.

On the way back to USA, is it okay to hand over the I-94 to US and get new I-94 (in case they ask for it?)

Thanks in advance.

On the way back to USA, is it okay to hand over the I-94 to US and get new I-94 (in case they ask for it?)

Your I-94 should be valid in order to use the AVR. Therefore, U.S. immigration people usually do not take it back (since it is valid) and give a new one while using the AVR. But if they do, there is no harm as long as you get a new valid I-94.

ok. Thanks for answering again. The I-94 stapled with passport is expired. But the one in I-797 ( new approved H-1b) is valid till september 2007. Which one are you mentioning?

The I-94 stapled with passport is expired. But the one in I-797 ( new approved H-1b) is valid till september 2007. Which one are you mentioning?

Okay, so your I-94 is valid (the one attached to your I-797), you are good to use it for the AVR...