landing experience

what currency we need to carry while landing in canada

Guru's

Please let me know what currency do we need to carry while landing in canada?

My medicals expiring in feb 16 2007 and as I requested consular officer given me visa untill feb 16 2008 so can I land before 2008 or should I land my medicals expires?

Please let me know I really appriciate your valuable suggestions

"My medicals expiring in feb 16 2007 and as I requested consular officer given me visa untill feb 16 2008 so can I land before 2008 or should I land my medicals expires? "
If you are not landing by Feb 16 2007 then you might have to take the medicals again before landing in 2008. The medical test you have taken is valid for 1yr only.

Canada Landing Question

Hi,

I am planing to do canada landing on March 15th.
Can any one please tell me which bridge is safe for this process?
I want to use AVR, how safe is this?
I am currently on 9th year H1B extension, my US visa is expired in 2003 and have valid I94 until 1st Oct 2007.
I am preferring to use rental car.
Please reply to my post and also need some tips which would be helpful in this process.

Regards
Kumar P

PEACE bridge

Peace bridge, not Niagra bridge.

AVR is ok. Tell them you went for PR stamping. They have seen so many guys/families like you. They will let you in. Good luck. Keep us posted with your experience.

Obtaining PR

Hello All,
Lately it seems they do not accept friend's address for receiving PR at the time of Landing in Canada. Has any one sent the same address (friend's address) later via fax/email etc & obtained PR? Please respond.

From Buffalo, US which is the most convenient bridge to drive into Canada? I see Peace bridge, Rainbow bridge mentioned in earlier posts.

Thank you for your help.

Hi,

I am currently on 9th year H1B extension, my US visa is expired in 2003 and have valid I94 until 1st Oct 2007.
Please reply to my post and also need some tips which would be helpful in this process.

Regards
Kumar P

Hi All,

I did my Canada PR Landing on 15th March 2007 via Lewiston Bridge(8:40PM).
Before going to canada I spoke to Immigration Dept of Lewiston Bridge(Call 716-285-1676).
It was done in just 2 Min .

Let me know if any questions

Regards
Kumar

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

Regards
Kumar P

Hi All,

Before going to canada I spoke to Immigration Dept of Lewiston Bridge(Call 716-285-1676).

I went in rental car (Avis), at CAN border I told that I will be staying for 3 Days only.
I have given my friends address, but officer gave me the PR application form to
fill up and fax when I have permanent address in Canada

But next day I call the PR application office, asked about the PR application process.
PR officer told that she can update the address over the phone and we will recieve our cards on 4 - 6 weeks.

On March 16th at US border while coming back:
Immigration officer :Citizens
Indian

Immigration officer : Passports please.
I gave the passports

Immigration officer : Your visa is expired in 2003, how are travelling?
I have valid I94,I am on 9th H1B extension

Immigration officer :Looked at the 797(i94) approval noticed,
oh you have until oct 2007 and scanned the passports.
Drive carefully check the weather and go.

It was done in just 2 Min .

Regards
Kumar p

Hi All,

Regards
Kumar p

Hi Everyone,

I have a few very urgent questions:

1. Do we need to take any money drafts/cashier checks with us ( If yes, what amount?)

2. What is the 'list of assets' we need to provide? Can you please post the link of the form to fill out for it.

3.Do u suggest anything regarding taking rental car or our own car??

Thanks,

Garvin

My experience:

We (myself, wife & 5 yrs old daughter) flew to buffalo on 4/10/07 (Tuesday) morning, landed thru' the Peace Bridge (w/rental car) about 2pm.
The officer at the booth gave a slip and sent us to the immigration office/counter inside the building upon asking the reason.
At the immigration office counter, we were asked the landing doc, passports, address (we gave friend's address) and the fund (I took 2 x US$5000 cashier's check). Signed the docs, said we will receive the card in 4-6 weeks and he sent us to the customs counter.

We were asked what were we taking with us. I told we will take the car and few pots and pans - nothing else as others are not worth taking. He noted my car's VIN#, said I just need to pay for the registration - no import duty. He gave me a copy of the sheet, and let us go. It took about 15-20 mins in the office.

Then we drove to Mississauga Service center. We reached by 3.50 (the office closes by 4pm), applied for SIN. The person in the counter checked the landing doc and our passports, gave the SIN in a temporary sheet, said we will receive the cards in 8-10 business days. It took about 20 mins.

Drove back to US the next day - no issues at the US border too (have Advance Parole). It took about 1.30 hours to wait and complete the formalities.

The trip was nice w/o any issues (except the flight delays).

Landing with AP

OnePenny,

Can you please elaborate on:

Drove back to US the next day - no issues at the US border too (have Advance Parole). It took about 1.30 hours to wait and complete the formalities.

What questions did they ask you? What formalities are you referring to? I am planning to land in June and return back using AP.

Appreciate your response.

Thanks,
Raas

OnePenny,

Can you please elaborate on:

What questions did they ask you? What formalities are you referring to? I am planning to land in June and return back using AP.

Appreciate your response.

Thanks,
Raas

1. We did not stop by at the US side when driving to Canada. So, no Exit stamp on passport, and I-94 docs were with us. I was bit nervous abt this when I was in Canada, but everything was ok.

While back to US,
1. Crossed the peace bridge, went to the booth. That person checked our passports, I-94s and asked whether we applied for GC, and we are on EAD/AP. Then he collected our passports & I-94s, gave a slip and sent us to the Homeland Security office. We parked our car and waited in the lounge until we were called.
2. An officer called us (had our passports already), checked our AP paper, asked the reason of travel to Canada (we told the truth- immigration to Canada). He entered our Stamped visa details in to his computer, gave new I-94, stamped the AP, and returned the passports back to us (except the old I-94s).

Thats it.

We waited in the lounge for about 50-60 mins (it was lunch time), and at the counter for abt 20-30 mins. Because it was the 1st time the office handling AP. He made few mistakes entering the data and corrected them.

Everything was cool, and I am happy about the trip.

I landed via plane on 04/06/07 in Toronto. Went through immigration and the process was smoother than i expected. I suppose it comes down to the officer that sees you. I was asked for my passport and PR form which i signed in front of him. He asked me how much cash i was bringing. I had a cashiers check for $9,800 US dollars and about $100 in cash so i told him the exact amount which he transfered to Canadian dollars for the form. He did not ask to see the check or bank statements. Then he asked "where would i be living", i handed him a print out with the address and phone number. I had my name on top to make it look more official. He made a note of the address and handed everything back to me instructing me to watch for my card in the mail after 2-4 weeks.

Next day i came back through the USCIS Toronto POE using the H1 revalidation rule. I had an old F1 visa in my passport which i used with my current H1 I-94.

Landing with AP (H1 extension still pending)

My H1 B extension has been under process for more a year now (name check for H1B I guess), but I am planning to use my AP for re entry. I have been here in US for 6 years and have never gone out. Which I-94 should I submit during re entry? The one which I entered with or the last one which expired in June of last year?

Please advise.

Thanks,
Raas

When you land by air do i have to submit I-94

I have a valid visa stamp until May 2007 i am landing in Toronto in May. do i have to hold on to my I-94 until i return back to US?
appreciate your help!

I have a valid visa stamp until May 2007 i am landing in Toronto in May. do i have to hold on to my I-94 until i return back to US?
appreciate your help!

If you have a valid visa, you do not have to hold on to your valid I-94, because while entering the US, you will get a new I-94.

My opinion: It will not hurt to hold on to your I-94 rather than getting a new one.

My Landing Expereince

Hi All,

I just want to share my expereince with you guys since I am veiwing this forum long time , Its my duty to share my expereice here...

I landed last sunday throguh (I forgot that Border Name But its on way to Ottawa) bridge and went to immigration office handover the Passport and Landing documents, she asked me the funds I show her 15000 Bank draft , and she took all the documents inside and asked us to sit for 15 min .

after 15 mins she came with the my passport and copy of PR card receipt which we can use untill our physical PR card comes.

she was very pleased and welcomed us into canada and intoduced to customs people they asked us goods to follow list and I already prepared before going there and write down the all the Items which (is worthe of 60,000) we needs to export when we really moving there.

And went to Ottawa US consulate completed 9th year H1 stamping on Monday (they didn't asked me any question) took the Passport on tuesday and returned back on Wednesday.

visiting Canada for for both Landing and Visa validation

could you please provide me the details.
I am visiting Ottawa on 16th May by road for both Visa revalidation and canada Landing process.
Are there any particulars that need not be revelaed to Officers like I-94 etc and do I have to fill the DS-156 any particular way.
Please advise.

Thanks in advance:)

could you please provide me the details.
I am visiting Ottawa on 16th May by road for both Visa revalidation and canada Landing process.
Are there any particulars that need not be revelaed to Officers like I-94 etc and do I have to fill the DS-156 any particular way.
Please advise.

Thanks in advance:)

you don't have to answer anything which they don't ask, just keep answer what they ask you,, Its very simple and easy process at both counters.

for H1 stamping keep everything what they needs as per requirement. over the counter they will ask you , what is your immigrant status Just say " Landed Immigrant" .

you need to fill up all the DS-156 .157 and 158 forms as per the consulate regulations.

Good Luck!

Thanks man,
One more question for Can PR.Do I have to reveal I-94 or not?
I am intending to come back to US in next3-4 days after both PR landing and H1 revalidation.

thanks again for your help.