landing experience

hello guys

First let me thanks to labor2002 for giving me answers for my previous post.

I am travelling to toronto by car trhough Rainbow bridge in niagarafalls on December first. As I stated I have expired H1B stamp on passport and valid I797 with I94 till Oct 2007. with this I want to reenter USA through rainbow bridge. By doing so I am getting following doubts.

1.) With valid I797and attached I94, will US officer at Rainbow bridge will issue new I94 by taking this?
2.) Do I need to submit all H1B filling papers including LCA forms and other docs to US officer at rainbow bridge?
3) Do you gusy have any links to AVR, why because I want to take print out of this and in case necessary I will show to US officer.
4) Any new developments or any precautionary measures to take befroe landing in canada and reenter US with valid I797+I94 (expired H1B visa stamp), please advice?

Hi all,

Here is my quick landing experience:

We landed yesterday, so everyting is over now. I can finnally think about something else, including the future . It seemed to be such a long time since we applied (complete processing took 15 month). And then all the checking, tension and waiting for the mail.....so stressful. I feel released now...

Landing experience was very smooth. We landed in Woodstok, NB, by car. We went first to the US border, told them why are we there for and one one of they guys said" "All right, I'll show you the procedure for this". So he took as out and said " You guys see that stop sign over there? Take a left turn a go to Canada". Kinda hilarious. So, we didn't do anything with our passports, fillling in forms, or any other things. At the Canadian border it took like 10 - 15 minutes to complete the procedures and get the COPR - Confirmation of Permanent Residence.

I checked Ecas today and I couldn't log in. Either the system is down or the file has been erased...It's fine with me anyway...no more checking!!!

My complete(d) timeline is:

Skilled worker, Buffalo, in Canada applicant
Applied: June, 15 2005
AOR: July, 18 2005
IA: September 5, 2006 (no IELTS, no add'l docs)
Medicals: September 25, 2006
ECAS updated: November 6, 2006 (Medicals received)
PPR: November 9, 2006
Passport back: November 27th, 2006
Landed: November 29th, 2006 (by car at Woodstock, NB)

The full application story for people with AOR June - Aug 05 can be found in the "July 2005 AOR..buffalo timeline..." thread on this forum. Thanks to everyone for posting!!!!
http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=206382

Wish you best of luck.

Need Advice please

Hi,

We are planning to land in December, I have to use AVR,

Q1. I have previous expired I-94s(3 of them) and current Valid I-94. Do I have to surrender Old expired I-94s to US immigration while returning back ? or can I keep them with me along with Valid I-94 ?

Q2. Can I use the same Rainbow bridge in niagarafalls for landing to canada and comming back to USA on the same day ?

Please advice me , thanks for your help.

Q1. I have previous expired I-94s(3 of them) and current Valid I-94. Do I have to surrender Old expired I-94s to US immigration while returning back ? or can I keep them with me along with Valid I-94 ?

-- Up to you...Sometimes they take away the old ones (expired) - which is okay and will not hurt you. Keep your valid I-94 with you though.

Q2. Can I use the same Rainbow bridge in niagarafalls for landing to canada and comming back to USA on the same day ?

-- YES

I am planningto land this weekend
Can someone please provide a sample of goods to follow list. Is there a specific format we need to use.

Thanks
Sh_Ad

Sh_Ad said:
I am planningto land this weekend
Can someone please provide a sample of goods to follow list. Is there a specific format we need to use.

Thanks
Sh_Ad

Yes , these are specific forms of Canadian customs and try searching for B4 and B4A Forms on their web site

OR

These 2 fillable type forms are available on this web site as well - use link - you are going to need both of them B4 & B4A

http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=220438&highlight=fillable+b4

Last edited by a moderator:
Perfect Landing Experience!! :)

First of all, I want to thank everyone on this forum for providing every bit of information possible on the topic of landing in Canada as immigrants.

My husband and I decided to fly to Toronto on Thu, Nov. 30th for our 'landing' and fly back to the U.S. on Sunday, Dec 3rd.

Needless to say, we were a little uncertain about how to go about it; but with the help of all the various posts on this forum, I was able to clarify pretty much all the thousand or so doubts I had, in just a couple of days.

Our landing experience was smooth but could have been smoother were it not for our messed-up travel plans.

Our connecting flight from JFK was delayed for two whole hours!! We were supposed to have landed in Toronto by 10 in the night, but we ended up stuck inside the plane from 9:15 to 11:15!! We finally got to Toronto by 12:30, and were extremely exhausted as we entered the airport and headed to the lines at immigration.

As our turn came up, we showed the officer our passports and the set of landing papers. He politely directed us to a large glass-walled Immigration department behind him. We walked into the Immigration Department which was quiet and almost deserted (I'm assuming due to the late hour) and waited to be called. Seeing as there were only 2 officers and 1 other passenger, we were called in a matter of few seconds.

The immigration officer was a tall, extremely pleasant man who cracked jokes almost the entire time. He took our passports, examined our landing papers and wrote down the addresses to where the PR cards would be posted. (We gave him the address of a good friend of ours in Toronto). He kept jotting down more things, all the while talking to us amiably.

On our landing papers, my husband's photo was the right dimension but mine wasn't so the officer told me he would take a photo of me again, after he was done.

After he finished writing, he told us each to sign in the green box on the bottom of the form. Apparently, as I've read somewhere in these forums, it's very important that your signature doesn't slip outside that box. The officer even joked about it, saying that if we don't sign inside the box, he'll have to send us back!! :) I almost half-believed him!

He took print-outs for us, SIN applications (which we didn't need because we had already printed them out and filled them up previously - again, thanks to the forum), job info, etc.

Then he asked me to come with him to a little alcove where there was a camera set-up, he took my picture, said "Welcome to Canada" to me, and then to my husband, and that was it!! Phew. All in less than 15 minutes.

We headed from there to Baggage Claim (we lost an hour there because our bag was delayed from JFK) and then we finally got out.

When we got to customs and asked about the Customs Office, a man told us that the office opens at 5:30 every morning up until 10:30 at night. So we decided to come back earlier on Sunday (before our return flight) and hand in the B4 and B4A forms then.

We spent Friday getting our SIN numbers (a mere 20 minute wait at the office, and the numbers were given to us within 5 minutes - the cards will be mailed within 3-4 weeks), and opening a bank account. We tried to apply for Health Insurance (OHIP) too but were told that coverage would only begin 3 months after landing plus we would need proof of residence to register. (TIP : The lady at the bank mentioned that when we get the bank statement mailed to the Toronto address, we can use that as proof to register for OHIP). Saturday and half of Sunday we did some sightseeing in Toronto with our friends (the CN Tower is magnificent!) and then returned to the airport on Sunday 3 hours before our flight.

Here's a word of advice, if any of you are ever in the same situation as we were, DO NOT check in for your flight before going to customs. Luckily, as we were going to check-in my husband happened to ask the attendant where the customs office was and was told it was on the ground floor, all the way at the other end. He also said that we can't check-in and then go, because once we're checked in, we cannot leave the secured area. So he held onto the tag for us, we took back our bag and went downstairs to the end of the building, near Arrivals.

We saw the sign for the Customs Office and went in. There was only one lady officer there, and we told her we had recently landed and wanted to hand in the forms and the photos of the jewellery. She took them from us, looked over them and didn't ask us a single question. Nothing about serial nos., appraisals, nothing. (We'd only entered the serial numbers for some of the items). As per info from the forum, we had entered details of the cars in the "Goods in Possession" form, because the table to enter car info was only in that particular form. She asked us to wait, she got some forms for us to sign, and then she handed back all our paperwork. And that was that.

We went back up, checked-in, got new I-94s at the U.S. immigration check, and then went through security. THE END :)

As per our experience, the officers we dealt with were polite and helpful, fussed over nothing and hardly wasted any time. And I hope that anyone else who's about to land soon, enjoys a similar experience.

Good luck all!

air_canada said:
Yes , these are specific forms of Canadian customs and try searching for B4 and B4A Forms on their web site

OR

These 2 fillable type forms are available on this web site as well - use link - you are going to need both of them B4 & B4A

http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=220438&highlight=fillable+b4

I believe B4A is for the goods to follow list
What is B4 for. I am not taking anything now as I am palnning to return in a day. Would I still need the B4 form & if so what should it contain.

Thx
Sh-Ad

landed via Niagara fall day after Thanksgiving

Just want to share my landing experince with friends who may find the info helpful:

Landing paper will expire 12/28, so we took the opportunity to land when visiting a relative living in Rochester NY for thanksgiving. We drove our own car, told the officer over the bridge that we are here to land. He took a look at our passports with Immi. visa, and directed us to a small building that holds immigration/custom offices. There was no line at the immigration window. A young, friendly man looked at our paper, and asked us to see the bank statement (I took a bank certified check of $9500 with me, but since he did not ask for it, I did not show), which I show to him, he made a note. I told him we have nothing to import at this time, because we are just come to Canada to complete the landing process. He said that is fine. I gave him friend's address, he did not accept it, said I can tell the agency our new address online, by fax, or by mail when I am really ready to move, and gave me a information sheet for that.

Next we went to the custom office, told the clerk that we had nothing to import this time, but gave her a list of goods to follow. She saw my car there, told me to bring the Title next time so that I can import free of duty. Cool. Paid nothing there.

Then we (I and wife) went to see the Niagara fall from the Canada side, beautiful, the rainbow. Because my wife wanted to go shopping on our way back to Rochester, we did not find time to get the SIN card. But knowing it is so easy to get, we decided to do it if we really need to move to Canada.

Coming back to the US side, traffic was terrible because it was holiday and many Canadians came to shop in the USA to take advantage of the ever high C$ against US$. Other than that, plus the immigration officer got confused about my status ( I changed from F2 to F1 to H1 to H4, and having Advance parole paper with me but did not show him) for a little while, it is a smooth trip. They officer let us back without giving real trouble.

In summary, for those who needs to land but not to intend to move for now, I think it is fairly easy and safe to land and come back.

You can drive your own car without being forced to import it, as long as you don't bring with you the car title, and declare that you do not want to import at that trip.

You can just bring a bank statement, no need to bring a real check.

Don't argue with the immigration officer to let them take your friend's address, just do it later by fax, mail, or even internet. By the way I have not submitted them my Canadian address yet, cause I figure my US green card will be approved very soon.

Good luck to all.

Went for landing on 12/10. At the border, I told them them I have come for landing. He asked if we were carrying any firearms, tobacco, duty free shopping.......... I declined. He jotted down the car registration (rented car) and sent us to a small building.

The lady was very friendly but refused to take my friend's address & gave us a form to apply for PR card when we move into Canada. She took pictures again for all of us.

Next went to the customs counter. He too was friendly. Allowed us to put Jewellery in the goods to follow list. I did not have photos/appraisals. He said so long as I can prove it belongs to me & not bought recently its fine. Stamped & gave us a copy.

Next visited niagara, wnt to Toronto to see the CN tower & returned by evening.

Good luck to all.

Thanks
Sh_Ad

Automatic VISA Revalidating (AVR)

Hello,

Has any one used AVR recently? Please post your experience. I am planning to land at Canada on DEC 24th (Niagara Falls - Rainbow bridge).

thanks,
jdk98

Automatic Visa Revalidation

Even I am planing to go same in Jan or Feb, as I completed my 7th year H1 extension which will expires on March 20 and 140 still pending at USCIS .

Please share your thaughts and veiws about AVR.

jdk98 said:
Hello,

Has any one used AVR recently? Please post your experience. I am planning to land at Canada on DEC 24th (Niagara Falls - Rainbow bridge).

thanks,
jdk98

HappyPRs

I am planning to land in Toronto airport next week. I want to use the 30-day visa revalidation rule and not surrender my I-94 when I leave US. I see from your post that you got a new I-94. Is there any reason why you gave away the I-94s and got a new one.

Anyone else has suggestions on this.

HappyPRs said:
First of all, I want to thank everyone on this forum for providing every bit of information possible on the topic of landing in Canada as immigrants.

My husband and I decided to fly to Toronto on Thu, Nov. 30th for our 'landing' and fly back to the U.S. on Sunday, Dec 3rd.

Needless to say, we were a little uncertain about how to go about it; but with the help of all the various posts on this forum, I was able to clarify pretty much all the thousand or so doubts I had, in just a couple of days.

Our landing experience was smooth but could have been smoother were it not for our messed-up travel plans.

Our connecting flight from JFK was delayed for two whole hours!! We were supposed to have landed in Toronto by 10 in the night, but we ended up stuck inside the plane from 9:15 to 11:15!! We finally got to Toronto by 12:30, and were extremely exhausted as we entered the airport and headed to the lines at immigration.

As our turn came up, we showed the officer our passports and the set of landing papers. He politely directed us to a large glass-walled Immigration department behind him. We walked into the Immigration Department which was quiet and almost deserted (I'm assuming due to the late hour) and waited to be called. Seeing as there were only 2 officers and 1 other passenger, we were called in a matter of few seconds.

The immigration officer was a tall, extremely pleasant man who cracked jokes almost the entire time. He took our passports, examined our landing papers and wrote down the addresses to where the PR cards would be posted. (We gave him the address of a good friend of ours in Toronto). He kept jotting down more things, all the while talking to us amiably.

On our landing papers, my husband's photo was the right dimension but mine wasn't so the officer told me he would take a photo of me again, after he was done.

After he finished writing, he told us each to sign in the green box on the bottom of the form. Apparently, as I've read somewhere in these forums, it's very important that your signature doesn't slip outside that box. The officer even joked about it, saying that if we don't sign inside the box, he'll have to send us back!! :) I almost half-believed him!

He took print-outs for us, SIN applications (which we didn't need because we had already printed them out and filled them up previously - again, thanks to the forum), job info, etc.

Then he asked me to come with him to a little alcove where there was a camera set-up, he took my picture, said "Welcome to Canada" to me, and then to my husband, and that was it!! Phew. All in less than 15 minutes.

We headed from there to Baggage Claim (we lost an hour there because our bag was delayed from JFK) and then we finally got out.

When we got to customs and asked about the Customs Office, a man told us that the office opens at 5:30 every morning up until 10:30 at night. So we decided to come back earlier on Sunday (before our return flight) and hand in the B4 and B4A forms then.

We spent Friday getting our SIN numbers (a mere 20 minute wait at the office, and the numbers were given to us within 5 minutes - the cards will be mailed within 3-4 weeks), and opening a bank account. We tried to apply for Health Insurance (OHIP) too but were told that coverage would only begin 3 months after landing plus we would need proof of residence to register. (TIP : The lady at the bank mentioned that when we get the bank statement mailed to the Toronto address, we can use that as proof to register for OHIP). Saturday and half of Sunday we did some sightseeing in Toronto with our friends (the CN Tower is magnificent!) and then returned to the airport on Sunday 3 hours before our flight.

Here's a word of advice, if any of you are ever in the same situation as we were, DO NOT check in for your flight before going to customs. Luckily, as we were going to check-in my husband happened to ask the attendant where the customs office was and was told it was on the ground floor, all the way at the other end. He also said that we can't check-in and then go, because once we're checked in, we cannot leave the secured area. So he held onto the tag for us, we took back our bag and went downstairs to the end of the building, near Arrivals.

We saw the sign for the Customs Office and went in. There was only one lady officer there, and we told her we had recently landed and wanted to hand in the forms and the photos of the jewellery. She took them from us, looked over them and didn't ask us a single question. Nothing about serial nos., appraisals, nothing. (We'd only entered the serial numbers for some of the items). As per info from the forum, we had entered details of the cars in the "Goods in Possession" form, because the table to enter car info was only in that particular form. She asked us to wait, she got some forms for us to sign, and then she handed back all our paperwork. And that was that.

We went back up, checked-in, got new I-94s at the U.S. immigration check, and then went through security. THE END :)

As per our experience, the officers we dealt with were polite and helpful, fussed over nothing and hardly wasted any time. And I hope that anyone else who's about to land soon, enjoys a similar experience.

Good luck all!

AVR works

Just came back to the USA thru Rainbow bridge, few minutes ago. Expired visa, Expired I-94, New valid I-797, officer asked how am i going to enter...I told AVR, he smiled and asked how do i know abt it, told him abt the trave.state.blah.blah site has the information...he said, smart with a smile and let me in. Didnt even have to get down from the car.
I will post the landing experience once i get back home.

Got Pr Cards

AIR_CANADA,

WE GOT OUT PR CARDS. THANKS ALOT FOR YOUR VALUABLE SUGGESTIONS THROUGHOUT ALL THE PROCESS. AND ALSO THANKS TO Labour2002/Zad886 AND all people of this forum.
I AM STILL USA......NOW PLANNING AND SEARCHING FOR JOB MARKET SITUATION IN CANADA.

Congratulations!!!

Congratulations!!!

Wish you Good luck for the future.

mystatus123 said:
AIR_CANADA,

WE GOT OUT PR CARDS. THANKS ALOT FOR YOUR VALUABLE SUGGESTIONS THROUGHOUT ALL THE PROCESS. AND ALSO THANKS TO Labour2002/Zad886 AND all people of this forum.
I AM STILL USA......NOW PLANNING AND SEARCHING FOR JOB MARKET SITUATION IN CANADA.

Congratulations and good luck.

mystatus123 said:
AIR_CANADA,

Avr

Hi The7zen,

Thank you. I will try this weekend and post my experience too.

Thanks,
jdk98

The7zen said:
Just came back to the USA thru Rainbow bridge, few minutes ago. Expired visa, Expired I-94, New valid I-797, officer asked how am i going to enter...I told AVR, he smiled and asked how do i know abt it, told him abt the trave.state.blah.blah site has the information...he said, smart with a smile and let me in. Didnt even have to get down from the car.
I will post the landing experience once i get back home.

jdk98 said:
Hi The7zen,

Thank you. I will try this weekend and post my experience too.

Thanks,
jdk98

please let us know once you get back to USA, since I am in the same boat my I-140 pending and I am in 8th year extention..

here are my case details...

Canadian Immigration medicals expiring on feb16 before that I need to go and landed there, But my h1 is expiring on march 20 , so would be a problem if I come back with AVR?

and also If go for visa stamping at consulate do they chances for rejecting becuase of I am in 8th year extension...

any GURU's please put your suggestion..

Thanks in Advance

Canadian Immigration medicals expiring on feb16 before that I need to go and landed there, But my h1 is expiring on march 20 , so would be a problem if I come back with AVR?

-- Why would it be a problem? I do not see any issue as long as you meet the AVR requirements.

and also If go for visa stamping at consulate do they chances for rejecting becuase of I am in 8th year extension...

--- Visa approval depends on many things, so I cannot comment on this. But you will not be able to use the AVR if you apply for your H1 consular visa or if you apply and get rejected..