July 2009 Family Based Filers - Post Here

Ohh ook! I had a license through Alberta Canada, I guess they couldn't give me mine right away. They also said next year when I go to renew my license I need to forfeit my Canadian one.

Ohh ook! I had a license through Alberta Canada, I guess they couldn't give me mine right away. They also said next year when I go to renew my license I need to forfeit my Canadian one.

No where in the United States one can obtain a DL right away on the spot...a temporary one (without picture one) yes but not the hard-copy one. Exception applies to very rare places, though. Otherwise, a DL is sent in the mail in 2-4 weeks.

Rachel, you could have obtained a DL anywhere in the US without going thru any hassle/formalities since you have had a DL from Canada.

What is the normal time to receive a social security after applying for it? I applied for a new ss last wednesday and am anxsious to receive it.

If you visit the SSN office they might be able to give you a letter stating the SSN or atleast give the Social Security number for you to use. Though the card may take from 2 - 4 weeks for it to arrive. I am telling this out of my memory when I applied years ago. I had some postal problems and it never landed in the post box hence they gave me the number earlier than it arrived.

I'm surprised they didn't take your Alberta license right at the DMV, Spanishgirl. The Texas DMV took my Manitoba license right on the spot when they gave me my temporary license.

I'm surprised they didn't take your Alberta license right at the DMV, Spanishgirl. The Texas DMV took my Manitoba license right on the spot when they gave me my temporary license.

I am lucky!!! The policy is effective Nov 1st 2009 in the state of Florida. So I made it by just over a month. After that day you need to hand in your green card. I am going back to school for 4 months and driving there, I wanted my Alberta license. In a year I will be living here for sure, so I don't mind then having only a Florida license.
JohnnyCash, yeah I didn't expect to get a license right away. It shall come soon:)

No where in the United States one can obtain a DL right away on the spot...a temporary one (without picture one) yes but not the hard-copy one. Exception applies to very rare places, though. Otherwise, a DL is sent in the mail in 2-4 weeks.

Rachel, you could have obtained a DL anywhere in the US without going thru any hassle/formalities since you have had a DL from Canada.

In some places the temporary license has a picture, Utah for example, and is valid as an ID. I got my hard copy one week later.

Also some places don't take your country's DL, since you still have to go and take the Driving Test (Depending if they accept the DL from the country you are from). The only thing they wave are the driving classes. That was my case in California a couple of years ago.

Here in Utah they don't take your previous driver's license, they just make a couple of holes on it and give it back to you, saying is not valid anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
In some places the temporary license has a picture, Utah for example, and is valid as an ID. I got my hard copy one week later.

Also some places don't take your country's DL, since you still have to go and take the Driving Test (Depending if they accept the DL from the country you are from). The only thing they wave are the driving classes. That was my case in California a couple of years ago.

Here in Utah they don't take your previous driver's license, they just make a couple of holes on it and give it back to you, saying is not valid anymore.

Yeah well holes in it and taking it away are the same thing... Either way your unable to use it.

Also some places don't take your country's DL, since you still have to go and take the Driving Test (Depending if they accept the DL from the country you are from).

To the best of my knowledge, no any state in the US accepts a DL from any other country except a DL issued in Canada to waive a driving test. So don't expect to get the same experience if one doesn't have a DL from any of Canadian provinces.

As for some states to issue a temporary photo license at the spot then there are few places that do that; otherwise most of them just mail the hard copied one later in the mail. You will surprise to know that a DL from NJ, a hard-copied one, wasn't even used to have person's picture on it. I think it was 10 years ago. This was no brainer. I mean, a DL is used for identification purpose as well, then how without a picture of the person could that be used? There was no purpose to have it cause you couldn't use it anywhere. I always thought why it was the way it was. However, it was optional as one could choose to have a pictured-one. Anyway, things are different in each state here in the US.

i 765 for ead post approval activity

hey guys. i received my ead and i am very happy. i am worried for something though. ead was mailed out on october 1 and the approval notice was sent on the same day meanwhile i have post approval activity on my i 765 application on october 2. to make sure i checked the envelope ead came and stated that it was mailed on the 1st. any idea about that post approval activity?
thanks

hi guys,

just a little good update. I've got my gc in the mail today. Therefore, my process is totally done now. But i will come back to check on this forum often to see what i can to to help.

Good luck with people who have interviews coming up. Everything should be fine.

Best.

congratulations!::

Completed Interview

My wife and I completed the 485 interview on Friday. The officer said she'll recommend us for approval to her supervisor who'll do the final approval. That seems to be a little different from other experiences in this forum.. Anyway here's our experience.

We went in at 9:15am for the 9:15 appointment and were called in after 5 minutes and the interview lasted about 20 mins. The first comment from the officer was about my wife being pregnant and that she wouldn't ask too many questions because of that! She also asked for our due date and added that information in the I-485 application. I don't know why they record the information, but since it helped make the interview smoother, I am cool.

She also said that since my I-130 has been approved the questions will be directed towards my wife. She went through the regular yes/no and reviewed some of the questions from the application like the visa status of my wife, how she entered US. Asked us for EAD copy and checked if the application has my employment letter or paystubs. Finally she asked us if we wanted to give any other supporting documentation. We gave her 2 packs of documents with copies of joint bank accounts, home title, insurance and other accounts we had together. After adding some pictures, she said she'll recommend our case for approval. When I asked her if we are done and can go, she said yes and joked with us that she wants to save her time for more difficult cases.

Thanks for all the discussion in this forum that helped us prepare for the interview.

We have our interview tomorrow :eek: -I'm very nervous but trying to keep the calm.

We have:
Checks with both of our names (Join Bank account)
Debit and credit cards
Car insurance showing both names
Life insurance policies with each other as a beneficiary
Escrow papers showing we bought the condo toghether
an utility bill with both names
Wedding photo album
Tons of other photos with friends at home and vacations visiting family.

Wish us luck, pray for us!

Thanks to you guys for answering all my questions!!
I'll post again tomorrow after the interview.:)

congratulations to you sv_raj and to all the ones who had the interview already!!

My wife and I completed the 485 interview on Friday. The officer said she'll recommend us for approval to her supervisor who'll do the final approval. That seems to be a little different from other experiences in this forum.. Anyway here's our experience.

We went in at 9:15am for the 9:15 appointment and were called in after 5 minutes and the interview lasted about 20 mins. The first comment from the officer was about my wife being pregnant and that she wouldn't ask too many questions because of that! She also asked for our due date and added that information in the I-485 application. I don't know why they record the information, but since it helped make the interview smoother, I am cool.

She also said that since my I-130 has been approved the questions will be directed towards my wife. She went through the regular yes/no and reviewed some of the questions from the application like the visa status of my wife, how she entered US. Asked us for EAD copy and checked if the application has my employment letter or paystubs. Finally she asked us if we wanted to give any other supporting documentation. We gave her 2 packs of documents with copies of joint bank accounts, home title, insurance and other accounts we had together. After adding some pictures, she said she'll recommend our case for approval. When I asked her if we are done and can go, she said yes and joked with us that she wants to save her time for more difficult cases.

Thanks for all the discussion in this forum that helped us prepare for the interview.

Hey
Congrats on your interview. I am also in the process of becoming a citizen, finished my interview last month and waiting for my oath letter currently. I am gathering paperwork to apply for my wife's GC who is currently on H1B.
Any tips on documentation/ list of documents would be great, You can also PM me the list :)
Thanks..

We have our interview tomorrow :eek: -I'm very nervous but trying to keep the calm.

We have:
Checks with both of our names (Join Bank account)
Debit and credit cards
Car insurance showing both names
Life insurance policies with each other as a beneficiary
Escrow papers showing we bought the condo toghether
an utility bill with both names
Wedding photo album
Tons of other photos with friends at home and vacations visiting family.

Wish us luck, pray for us!

Thanks to you guys for answering all my questions!!
I'll post again tomorrow after the interview.:)

congratulations to you sv_raj and to all the ones who had the interview already!!

You have more than enough!!! I am not sure if this response is too late, but I hope everything went well.. update us!!!!

You applied for the Florida license before you got a green card, right? When you take your green card to the DMV to renew it, you shouldn't have to forfeit your Canadian license to renew the FL license. If it was a first-time FL application you were going to do next year, and you were using the Canadian license to bypass the Florida driving test, that's when you'd have to give up your Canadian license.

Lots of news in the mail today. Received my social security card along with an interview appointment for November 17,2009.
Going to DMV this week to get my DL. :)

Green Card Approved!!!

Hi Guys!!
My green card was approved yesterday morning! :D

The interview went smoothly, it was at 10 am so we got there at 9:30 am, and waited till around 10:40 am.

She introduced herself and put us under oath.

She asked me about my information, if our address was correct, we gave her the new address and a PO Box #, if my SSN was correct, then she asked me why I changed my name and proof of it, copies of both new and old birth certificates, both passports...

Then asked me for my waiver of my two year home requirement.

after that she asked me the yes/no questions, and then she asked to my wife if her info in the forms was correct and if the signature in there was hers.

Then she said she approved the case!, and gave us instructions on how to remove the conditions in 2 years!

She also didn't want to look at more proof or to our photos because I had sent enough proof before and everything was very organized :), and that she had too much work to do yesterday!

The interview lasted like 15-20 mins.

Thank you all guys and gals, who helped me with all my questions, you made it lots easier!!

Good luck to the ones who will have the interview soon!