I140 and I485 concurrent file and I140 approved, I485 Pending Thread

Economics, Not Innovation, Drives H-1B Debate

Guys,

This is an article from ComputerWorld about H1B Debate.
Please read this and frwd to as many people as possible.

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=112241

Economics, Not Innovation, Drives H-1B Debate
Mark Willoughby Today’s Top Stories or Other IT Management Stories

July 03, 2006 (Computerworld) -- Economics is driving the IT industry to doggedly persist in efforts to secure a big boost in H-1B visas for foreign workers this year, despite the move by a divided Congress on June 20 to table the controversial issue and seek voter input.

So far, large IT corporations have dictated the H-1B debate. The IT industry's lobbyists worked overtime to engineer a compromise between the Senate and the House to boost H-1B visas for their large corporate benefactors, whom CNN's Lou Dobbs dubs "corporate supremacists."

In the deal, the IT companies wanted the Senate to drop its support for a bracero guest-worker program for poor Mexican campesinos. In return, the House would agree to increase H-1B visas for skilled foreign workers from 65,000 to more than 115,000, with regular yearly increases baked in.

The IT corporate lobbyists -- the Semiconductor Industry Association, the Information Technology Industry Council, the Information Technology Association of America, the AEA and others -- are again twisting arms in the House, where immigration is as popular as lobbyist Jack Abramoff, in an attempt to pass the H-1B visa increase.

Maybe immigration hearings away from all the miasma raised by cash changing hands inside the Beltway would give citizens and IT workers a chance to be heard. We can hope that the H-1B issue isn't overshadowed by the debate about amnesty for 12 million illegal immigrants or finessed by corporate lobbyists in smoke-filled rooms.

IT lobbyists have tried, mostly in vain, to make the ideologues in the House understand the innovation argument for H-1B visas. In a fairly traditional tactic, almost a dozen members of Congress and one senator were flown to India on an all-expenses-paid junket in 2004.

The House members were unmoved, but not the representative of the upper chamber. The lone senator on that 2004 India junket, Texas Republican John Cornyn, has joined the advocates of the H-1B visa increase and is sponsoring the so-called SKIL (Securing Knowledge, Innovation and Leadership) Act of 2006 with Sens. George Allen (R-Va.), Wayne Allard (R-Colo.), Robert Bennett (R-Utah), Michael Enzi (R-Wyo.) and Trent Lott (R-Miss.).

According to the Center for Responsive Politics, Cornyn has pocketed more than $145,000 in contributions from IT corporations since 2000, including $13,818 for the Indian trip. The other sponsors have also accepted generous high-tech contributions.

The large IT corporations repeat the mantra that the U.S. needs these skilled foreign workers to innovate in order to remain competitive.

That is a specious argument. Innovation by large IT corporations is usually of the incremental kind, adding new features to established products to protect profits. Remember how Microsoft innovated Netscape out of existence?

When large IT corporations need disruptive technologies to create or enter new markets, they usually acquire an innovative small company. Most seminal technical innovation in the U.S. is in entrepreneurial small companies, not in risk-adverse IT corporations. Microsoft has acquired many innovative companies over the past 18 months to enter new markets, a half-dozen in message hygiene alone.

The real argument, rarely made by IT corporations, for increasing H-1B visas is simple economics. H-1B workers are a new type of indentured servant. In a new, unfamiliar country, they are docile and focus on working hard. The H-1B sponsorship provisions make it very difficult for H-1B foreign workers to change jobs.

Large numbers of productive H-1B workers save millions in human resources and R&D costs, boosting the value of their employers' stock. The economic argument makes IT corporations sound greedy. The innovation argument plays better on Main Street.

The most reasoned discussion of the complex and impassioned H-1B visa issue comes from the venerable Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (www.ieeeusa.org/policy/issues/H1bvisa/index.html). It asks, What about declining enrollments in domestic computer science curricula, rampant abuses in the H-1B program, the lack of enforcement of H-1B prevailing-wage requirements and retraining the many unemployed engineers in the U.S.?

The IEEE makes another H-1B proposal you never hear from the large IT companies and their lobbyists: Why not offer permanent immigration status to skilled foreign technology workers when there is a proven shortage of engineers or programmers? Foreign workers with permanent immigration status would be freed of constraints on job mobility, which the large technology companies in no way favor.

The last H-1B issue you rarely hear discussed is an emotional IT workforce organizing and replaying the rise of unions in the steel and automotive industries. If IT workers start to organize, the jobs will move offshore for sure.

Mark Willoughby, CISSP, is a 20-year IT industry veteran and journalist. Contact him at milloughby@earthlink.net.

Last edited by a moderator:
485 approved

Hi, Guys

My 485 finally approved yesterday. It has been a long journey and suddenly I felt so tired.
Thanks for this forum. I still miss POJ. He gave me a lot of strength in the dark days. Sara and other folks, keep hope alive.

Find

Any I-485 updates from Oct 2005 filers and question about EAD/APextension?

Hi,
Any I-485 related updates from those of you who concurrently filed I-140/I-485 at CSC in Oct. 2005, had their cases transferred to TSC and got I-140 approved in June/July?

I had a I-485 update last on 07/08/06, nothing new, and am wondering how many similar cases are out there. Are we supposed to follow up with enquiries at TSC or InfoPass or anything else? Do any of you know whether your name check/background check is done or pending?

Also, my first EAD/AP was also filed and approved from CSC. I-140 approved after transfer to TSC. I-485 transferred to TSC. My receipt nos. start with "WAC".
Now, I want to e-file EAD/AP extensions. Should I file at CSC or TSC?

Thanks.

My Priority date will be current by next month hopefully.

Hoping for the best to get ready for the green card /
I-485 approval.

victorce79

EB3 Philippines
PD 06/26/2002 I-140 LC FILED DATE
ND 08/28/2005 I-140 APPROVAL DATE
ND 07/19/2005 I-485 PENDING
EAD 1 AD 08/29/05
EAD 2 AD 08/31/06
FP 1 09/02/05

When does TSC act on pending 485 application? Based on PD or 485 ND?

I just got my I-140 approved. My PD is 10/15/2001. 485 RD is 07/19/2006. Which is the order that TSC will consider my 485 application? Based on PD or 485 ND ?

If it is based on PD, will TSC frequently check for I-140 approved current applications to act upon ?

Just trying to see if am atleast lucky here (after waiting for labor to approve for 4.5 yrs) :eek:

vnvarma said:
I just got my I-140 approved. My PD is 10/15/2001. 485 RD is 07/19/2006. Which is the order that TSC will consider my 485 application? Based on PD or 485 ND ?

If it is based on PD, will TSC frequently check for I-140 approved current applications to act upon ?

Just trying to see if am atleast lucky here (after waiting for labor to approve for 4.5 yrs) :eek:

Actually, its a combination of both your PD and RD. Currently TSC is processing the I-485 application whose PD is current and the RD is April 11th, 2006 (or earlier). But I have seen on these forums where folks with later RD also recieving approvals.

You are almost there buddy, hang in there and you will see something soon.

status

140/485 concurrent filing (Texas Service Center) 10/3/2006
140 approval 10/11/2006
Employment Authorization Card: 10/16/2006
Finger Print: 10/26/2006

Labor Cert. filing 7/2003, Labor Cert. approval 9/2006

I am new to this 140/485 forum. Can anyone give me an estimate as to when I can receive my 485? Thank you!

windynewyork said:
140/485 concurrent filing (Texas Service Center) 10/3/2006
140 approval 10/11/2006
Employment Authorization Card: 10/16/2006
Finger Print: 10/26/2006

Labor Cert. filing 7/2003, Labor Cert. approval 9/2006

I am new to this 140/485 forum. Can anyone give me an estimate as to when I can receive my 485? Thank you!

Depends on namecheck. Some people are stuck from 2003. If you're lucky, within 6 months.

I called National Customer Service center and request inquiry on my case. she gave me the request number also and told me that I should wait another 45 days to get response. I guess I should just wait another month or so again.....!!!!! is there any one with the same experiance?

We are waiting for our 485 as well. Last week, my husband called TSC and the staff opened his file and told him that we should get it within 2 months based on their processing speed. He did not mentioned anything about name check and mu husband forgot to ask, too...:( Hopefully what the guy told us is true. Otherwise, it looks like even you start to inquiry the status, the answer is still not clear.....

PERM EB2 03/2006
I140 AP 5/18/2006
EAD AP 5/26/2006
I485 RD 4/28/2006
LUD 6/17/2006
FP 5/19/2006

PD - Jan 2003
I140/485s(2) RD - April 17 2006, I140 AD - May 02 2006
I485s LUDs - ~May 18 (FP), around Aug 20, Sept 13...

azamani123 said:
I called National Customer Service center and request inquiry on my case. she gave me the request number also and told me that I should wait another 45 days to get response. I guess I should just wait another month or so again.....!!!!! is there any one with the same experiance?

Same thing, called them on Nov 20..

what's basis of processing?

i am in the same boat. just want to know where will USCIS based its processing? PP OR rd of 485?somedody help. finished with medical and fingerprinting, thanks

EB3 -Phils
PD: april 30, 01
I-140 :Rd july 10, 06
AD : Nov. 29, 06 (thru prem. proc.)
I-485 : RD- July 10, 06
485; AD?? :confused:

adallac said:
Can i file I-485 once my PD is current but my I-140 was filed and pending?[/QUOTE

better go for PREMIUM PROCESSING. its really fast. mine approved withihn 10 calendar days