H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

H1 Stamping for Pakistani Citizen

Hi All,
I came to the United States in Sep 2001 on F-1 Visa and got my MS Degree in Computer Information Systems. I got OPT, worked for some time on that too, and then Company A filed for my H-1B in Sep 2004 with a start date of OCT 2004. I worked for Company A for the months of Oct and Nov 2004 and then switched the company. I worked with Company B till May 2005 and Because of good offer, joined Company C. At present I am working as a Consultant at a Reputable IT Firm in the Bay Area.

Beacuse of my project, my new client wants me to to visit other countries but I am in a fix as my F-1 is expired in Dec 2004 and I don't have an H1 stamped in my passport.

To continue my job, I need the stamping done. Is it a good idea to go to Canada or I can go to Maxico for the same purpose too. What are the chances of getting things in line in either countries? Is there any real affect of changing companies, if they offer you a better rate nthen the previous company?

Any help or experience will be appreciated.

Thanks
PRQ20

You can contact me on prq20@hotmail.com :confused:

sprash25 said:
Its is very difficult to get dates. They open up a few dates every morning at 7AM EST, and they are gone in no time. You should enter your real passport details, get a reference number and use that reference number when you are checking for dates (at 7 AM).

Hi,

what info do they ask in the next few pages after you select the appointment date, time and place at https://www.nvars.com/use/wEntry.jsp ?

thanks!

Guys,

I have an appt scheduled in Nov 2005 for my H1B visa revalidation at Toronto. I have a few questions

- Do they accept cash or I need to pay through scotia bank
- I have appt at 8:30 in the morning. At that time is the bank open?

Thanks

hi

they dont accept cash....
and scotia bank opens at 8:00....king street's branch...thye other branches have diff. timings....
bank is 5 minutes walk from the embassy....
so it wont take too long to pay the fee n go to the embassy.
good luck
bbye

qanne_22 said:
they dont accept cash....
and scotia bank opens at 8:00....king street's branch...thye other branches have diff. timings....
bank is 5 minutes walk from the embassy....
so it wont take too long to pay the fee n go to the embassy.
good luck
bbye

Thanks qanne_22.. How was your experience in Toronto? I am going on November 28th for my extention stamping? I would also like to know what kind of questions they asked.

Thanks

Prq20,
I would go for stamping as a last resort. The issue of switching jobs is far less problematic than your country of citizenship. Many many Pakistani citizens undergo security check. So, chances of getting stuck (especially you are not married) is much higher.

Your only shot might be at Tijuana. At Tijuana, they pretty much order security check if you work in science area, computer security, etc (occupations that fall under TAL - technology alert list) and also presumably citizens from Pakistan. However, you don't surrender I94 while entering mexico. So, there is a chance you might be able to come back (if they don't cancel your original EXPIRED visa). I am not sure if they will cancel it (generally they don't) and if they do whether you will be able to come back in.

Canada is much more risky as they take away your I94 and so you will not be able to comeback in without stamping. (folks, correct me if I am wrong).

Moral of the story, don't go for stamping if you don't have to. If you really need to, try Mexico-Tijuana.

prq20 said:
Hi All,
I came to the United States in Sep 2001 on F-1 Visa and got my MS Degree in Computer Information Systems. I got OPT, worked for some time on that too, and then Company A filed for my H-1B in Sep 2004 with a start date of OCT 2004. I worked for Company A for the months of Oct and Nov 2004 and then switched the company. I worked with Company B till May 2005 and Because of good offer, joined Company C. At present I am working as a Consultant at a Reputable IT Firm in the Bay Area.

Beacuse of my project, my new client wants me to to visit other countries but I am in a fix as my F-1 is expired in Dec 2004 and I don't have an H1 stamped in my passport.

To continue my job, I need the stamping done. Is it a good idea to go to Canada or I can go to Maxico for the same purpose too. What are the chances of getting things in line in either countries? Is there any real affect of changing companies, if they offer you a better rate nthen the previous company?

Any help or experience will be appreciated.

Thanks
PRQ20

You can contact me on prq20@hotmail.com :confused:

while I agree with ela6, that one should not go to visa stamping unless they absolutely. however, I would explain the situation to the client and tell them the risks involved in getting the visa stamping done. you might be able to use it your advantage as your client is asking you to travel abroad.

one correction though, canada does not take your I94. if one gets stuck in security check, I am not sure whether re-entry is possible be it from mexico or canada.
ela6 said:
Prq20,
I would go for stamping as a last resort. The issue of switching jobs is far less problematic than your country of citizenship. Many many Pakistani citizens undergo security check. So, chances of getting stuck (especially you are not married) is much higher.

Your only shot might be at Tijuana. At Tijuana, they pretty much order security check if you work in science area, computer security, etc (occupations that fall under TAL - technology alert list) and also presumably citizens from Pakistan. However, you don't surrender I94 while entering mexico. So, there is a chance you might be able to come back (if they don't cancel your original EXPIRED visa). I am not sure if they will cancel it (generally they don't) and if they do whether you will be able to come back in.

Canada is much more risky as they take away your I94 and so you will not be able to comeback in without stamping. (folks, correct me if I am wrong).

Moral of the story, don't go for stamping if you don't have to. If you really need to, try Mexico-Tijuana.

hi.
plz read my other posts..u will have to click on my name to read all of them.
our experience in toronto....we r still here...its been 4 weeks today...and we havent recieved any answer for our security check thing.
plz read my posts for details.
good luck.

kosu said:
Thanks qanne_22.. How was your experience in Toronto? I am going on November 28th for my extention stamping? I would also like to know what kind of questions they asked.

Thanks

hi.
plz read my other posts..u will have to click on my name to read all of them.
our experience in toronto....we r still here...its been 4 weeks today...and we havent recieved any answer for our security check thing. and they didnt ask us many questions...just what do u do?. how long have u been in US?. and then the lady said....i have a good news nad a bad news....good news is that ur case looks perfect..u wont have any problem getting the visa....but the bad news is that your name is so common we will have to run a check on it...and it will take 2-3 weeks to do that. but its been 4 weeks already....no answer yet.
plz read my posts for details.
good luck and pray for us.

they cancel the visa

ela6 said:
Prq20,

hi i m not sure about the i-94 thing...but i know when u go for the interview, they cancel the last visa stamped on ur passport...thats what happened with us...and if u dont have a valid visa stamped on ur passport...u cannot re-enter the US. even if u have ur i-94 with u.
thanks

Recent H1B stamping experience in Ottawa, Canada

I started the whole process in August. I scheduled an appointment on www.nvars.com in the second week of August for H1B visa interview at Ottawa in the last week of September. I paid $15 fee using my credit card at the time of scheduling the interview. Although I wished to appear for the interview earlier than that, I could not get an earlier date. The waiting time for Ottawa consulate from the date you schedule appointment is 50 days approximately, while it is 70 to 75 days at Toronto Consulate. I did not check it for the other consulates as I wanted to appear for interview either at Toronto or Ottawa.

I came to U.S. as F1 student to pursue masters’ degree. I was a masters student, then on OPT before I changed my status to H1B.

I have obtained Single Entry Temporary Resident Visa from Canadian Embassy in New York and the fee is $65. The Canadian Consulate in New York returns the passport within 10 days if you send the application by mail and on the same day if you apply personally.

I booked a room in Best Western Cartier Hotel in Hull, Quebec (not in Ottawa, Ontario) on expedia.com. I planned to stay in Canada for visa purpose for 3 days and 2 nights since the Consulate returns passport only on the next day after the interview. The hotel price is reasonable and one has access to free cable T.V., swimming pool, local phone calls, and wireless internet access. Don’t say all hotels provide these services for free. The fact is all don’t, but many do. The hotel charges 6 dollars for car parking. The hotel rooms are spacious and have two beds. Two people can live comfortably although I stayed alone. The hotel is in a walkable distance (0.9 miles, just cross the bridge on Ottawa River and you cannot miss the consulate, a big glass building on the left side of the road.) to U.S. Consulate in Ottawa and to Parliament buildings. Ottawa River, Cruises, a huge park, and civilization museum are all located accoss the street from the hotel (2 or 3 minutes by walk). Taxi drivers, McDonalds, and other stores accept U.S. dollars. The conversion rate varies from place to place. For instance, in McDonalds they treated 1 US $ as equivalent to 1.10 Canadian dollar and in a small store, they treated 1 US $ as 1.15 Canadian dollar, while the market rate is 1.16, which is not bad. I was unsure when it came reserving my hotel room. But, I decided to go for this hotel and am happy with my decision. This description might help people planning to go to Ottawa consulate.

I informed my employer about the trip and started gathering required documents from August. Thanks to saik, saurabh_ tulika, and simranb for their time and helping me out when I was looking for a sample employer letter.

On the interview day, I reached the consulate at 9 a.m. and my appointment is at 9:30 a.m. The guard let me in immediately after checking the appointment letter. It was my first H1B visa stamping appearance. I am in status throughout my stay in the States but I was nervous since I was unsure if I can answer to the consulate officers questions to his/her satisfaction and if I missed out on any required documents. Or it could be just I am too cautious. Just go through this thread and there is a post (by amit_d78 on page 45) that gives the entire list of documents that you needed at the interview. Check your documents several times before you leave U.S. If the consulate officer asks for a particular document and you fail produce it, you are denied visa and cannot re-enter U.S. You have to go to India, get it stamped there, and then enter U.S.

I paid $100 fee at Counter No.7 and the lady took my passport, I-797 approval, DS-156 and DS-157. The lady asked me to wait until the Consulate Officer calls my name. The counters numbered 1, 2, 3 and 4 are all meant for interviews. After 20 or 25 minutes (approximately), the officer at Counter No.1 called my name.

Me: Good Morning Officer. (The officer had glasses, aged around 45, wore white shirt and a tie and my first impression was that he is very cool)

Officer: How are you doing today?

Me: I am okay Sir.

Officer: I will take your finger prints. Could you place your left index finger on the glass?

Me: My heart was beating with joy as the officer said that since they take finger printing only if they decide to issue visa. I hastily and at the same time composedly did just what officer had asked me to do. (I just do not want to be there and want to get out of that place. There is a thing at the counter with a small one inch rectangular glass on the top. I placed one inch of my left index finger on the glass for finger printing.

Officer: Now your right finger.

Me: Did that. Done with the finger printing.

Officer: May I see your employer’s letter.

Me: Yes Sir. I slided it through the window opening.

Officer: Alright. May I see your Original Degree certificate from the U.S university?

Me: Yes Sir. Slided the certificate through also.

Officer: Take this pink slip, pay $50 at Counter No.7 and come back to me with a receipt.

Me: Thank you very much Sir.

The interview lasted for just two minutes. The only words I said were "good morning officer," "yes sir," "yes sir," and "thank you very much sir." The officer who interviewed me was very liberal. I could not have expected an easier interview.

Of the four counters, the lady aged around 50 at Counter No. 3 was tough, interviewing applicants for relatively long times and she even denied visa to a desi. Everyone present in the room heard that desi pleading the officer saying “please, please, please…” loudly for atleast 10 times as the officer was saying something. The room maintained pin drop silence at that moment and I did not even bother to know the reason as I was focusing on my interview and thinking about how to handle that particular officer if she called my name.

Do not worry about Consulate Officers, if you have been in status through out your stay in U.S. and carry all the documents, you will get your visa for sure.

I went to the consulate next day at 2-45 p.m, produced the receipt and collected my passport.

thanks

Innocent4Ever said:
I started the whole process in August. I scheduled an appointment on www.nvars.com in the second week of August for H1B visa interview at Ottawa in the last week of September. I paid $15 fee using my credit card at the time of scheduling the interview. Although I wished to appear for the interview earlier than that, I could not get an earlier date. The waiting time for Ottawa consulate from the date you schedule appointment is 50 days approximately, while it is 70 to 75 days at Toronto Consulate. I did not check it for the other consulates as I wanted to appear for interview either at Toronto or Ottawa.

I came to U.S. as F1 student to pursue masters’ degree. I was a masters student, then on OPT before I changed my status to H1B.

I have obtained Single Entry Temporary Resident Visa from Canadian Embassy in New York and the fee is $65. The Canadian Consulate in New York returns the passport within 10 days if you send the application by mail and on the same day if you apply personally.

I booked a room in Best Western Cartier Hotel in Hull, Quebec (not in Ottawa, Ontario) on expedia.com. I planned to stay in Canada for visa purpose for 3 days and 2 nights since the Consulate returns passport only on the next day after the interview. The hotel price is reasonable and one has access to free cable T.V., swimming pool, local phone calls, and wireless internet access. Don’t say all hotels provide these services for free. The fact is all don’t, but many do. The hotel charges 6 dollars for car parking. The hotel rooms are spacious and have two beds. Two people can live comfortably although I stayed alone. The hotel is in a walkable distance (0.9 miles, just cross the bridge on Ottawa River and you cannot miss the consulate, a big glass building on the left side of the road.) to U.S. Consulate in Ottawa and to Parliament buildings. Ottawa River, Cruises, a huge park, and civilization museum are all located accoss the street from the hotel (2 or 3 minutes by walk). Taxi drivers, McDonalds, and other stores accept U.S. dollars. The conversion rate varies from place to place. For instance, in McDonalds they treated 1 US $ as equivalent to 1.10 Canadian dollar and in a small store, they treated 1 US $ as 1.15 Canadian dollar, while the market rate is 1.16, which is not bad. I was unsure when it came reserving my hotel room. But, I decided to go for this hotel and am happy with my decision. This description might help people planning to go to Ottawa consulate.

I informed my employer about the trip and started gathering required documents from August. Thanks to saik, saurabh_ tulika, and simranb for their time and helping me out when I was looking for a sample employer letter.

On the interview day, I reached the consulate at 9 a.m. and my appointment is at 9:30 a.m. The guard let me in immediately after checking the appointment letter. It was my first H1B visa stamping appearance. I am in status throughout my stay in the States but I was nervous since I was unsure if I can answer to the consulate officers questions to his/her satisfaction and if I missed out on any required documents. Or it could be just I am too cautious. Just go through this thread and there is a post (by amit_d78 on page 45) that gives the entire list of documents that you needed at the interview. Check your documents several times before you leave U.S. If the consulate officer asks for a particular document and you fail produce it, you are denied visa and cannot re-enter U.S. You have to go to India, get it stamped there, and then enter U.S.

I paid $100 fee at Counter No.7 and the lady took my passport, I-797 approval, DS-156 and DS-157. The lady asked me to wait until the Consulate Officer calls my name. The counters numbered 1, 2, 3 and 4 are all meant for interviews. After 20 or 25 minutes (approximately), the officer at Counter No.1 called my name.

Me: Good Morning Officer. (The officer had glasses, aged around 45, wore white shirt and a tie and my first impression was that he is very cool)

Officer: How are you doing today?

Me: I am okay Sir.

Officer: I will take your finger prints. Could you place your left index finger on the glass?

Me: My heart was beating with joy as the officer said that since they take finger printing only if they decide to issue visa. I hastily and at the same time composedly did just what officer had asked me to do. (I just do not want to be there and want to get out of that place. There is a thing at the counter with a small one inch rectangular glass on the top. I placed one inch of my left index finger on the glass for finger printing.

Officer: Now your right finger.

Me: Did that. Done with the finger printing.

Officer: May I see your employer’s letter.

Me: Yes Sir. I slided it through the window opening.

Officer: Alright. May I see your Original Degree certificate from the U.S university?

Me: Yes Sir. Slided the certificate through also.

Officer: Take this pink slip, pay $50 at Counter No.7 and come back to me with a receipt.

Me: Thank you very much Sir.

The interview lasted for just two minutes. The only words I said were "good morning officer," "yes sir," "yes sir," and "thank you very much sir." The officer who interviewed me was very liberal. I could not have expected an easier interview.

Of the four counters, the lady aged around 50 at Counter No. 3 was tough, interviewing applicants for relatively long times and she even denied visa to a desi. Everyone present in the room heard that desi pleading the officer saying “please, please, please…” loudly for atleast 10 times as the officer was saying something. The room maintained pin drop silence at that moment and I did not even bother to know the reason as I was focusing on my interview and thinking about how to handle that particular officer if she called my name.

Do not worry about Consulate Officers, if you have been in status through out your stay in U.S. and carry all the documents, you will get your visa for sure.

I went to the consulate next day at 2-45 p.m, produced the receipt and collected my passport.

thanks for sharing ur experience with us.
Are you a pakistani national or india?
and do u know anyone who had to go thru the security clearence.
its been 31 days since we went for our interview....our security check is still going on i guess.
we r in toronto.
plz reply

qanne_22 said:
thanks for sharing ur experience with us.
Are you a pakistani national or india?
and do u know anyone who had to go thru the security clearence.
its been 31 days since we went for our interview....our security check is still going on i guess.
we r in toronto.
plz reply
I am from India. I have not come accross anyone in Ottawa. 31 days is quite long and frustrating. Just be patient, everything will be alright. Good luck.

Can you please advise on H1B revalidation

I came to USA on H1B in 2002 April from India. My H1B visa in passport expired in October 2003. I got H1B approvals. There is no gap. It is already 2 years my Visa expired in passport. I want to go Canada or Mexico for revalidation. Can I go to Canada/Mexico for H1B revalidation after 2 years of Previous H1B expiry? Is there any condition like we must go for stamping in Canada/Mexico within one year after H1B expired? I need your valuable suggestion immediately. Waiting for your responses.
Thanks

new passport numebr after renewal ?

Hi, I made an appointment at U.S. consulate in Ottawa for Oct. 13, 2005 for H1 revalidation. I made the appointment back in august. My passport expires in Sep.2006. My new H1 visa approval is till Jan 31 2007. I renewed my passport today and it has a new passport number. But I made the appointment with my old passport number. Now the DS-156, 157 forms will have the new passport number. Will the new passport number cause any problem for my revalidation?

Thanks.

Hi there,
I don't think u need to worry about it. The passport number given for appt is just for reference. If you have the old passport, just take it with you. Even otherwise, if you explain that you got a new passport (they can check the issue date on the new passport). So, don't sweat it out. Alternatively, for your peace of mind if you prefer, you can call the 1900/1-800 number and ask them to change the number in their database.

When you get there, at the gate, they just check your name against their list of appts. Once you are inside for processing, they will ask for your passport and you give your new one (they do not go into your appt details).

thanks
ela
jonal212004 said:
Hi, I made an appointment at U.S. consulate in Ottawa for Oct. 13, 2005 for H1 revalidation. I made the appointment back in august. My passport expires in Sep.2006. My new H1 visa approval is till Jan 31 2007. I renewed my passport today and it has a new passport number. But I made the appointment with my old passport number. Now the DS-156, 157 forms will have the new passport number. Will the new passport number cause any problem for my revalidation?

Thanks.

success finally

Hi All
As I Stated Earlier That We Were Waiting For Our Security Clearence.
We Got It Today.
We R Going To The Consulate Tomorrow.
It Took 25 Working Days To Get Cleared.
Not Bad:)
Thanks For All The Support We Got From This Website.
And Thanks To All Of The People Who Helped Us And Remembered Us In Their Prayers.
And I Pray To God That Everyone Gets Through This Difficult Process Easily.
Thanks Again
And Good Luck All.
Bbye

qanne_22 said:
Hi All
We Got It Today.
And Thanks To All Of The People Who Helped Us And Remembered Us In Their Prayers.
Thanks Again
And Good Luck All.
Bbye

CONGRATS qanne_22 !!!

qanne_22 said:
Hi All
We Got It Today.
Thanks Again
And Good Luck All.
Bbye

Congratulations. Please share with us the stamping experience as well?

Please advise

I came to USA on H1B in 2002 April from India. My H1B visa in passport expired in October 2003. I got H1B approvals. There is no gap. It is already 2 years my Visa expired in passport. I want to go Canada or Mexico for revalidation. Can I go to Canada/Mexico for H1B revalidation after 2 years of Previous H1B expiry? Is there any condition like we must go for stamping in Canada/Mexico within one year after H1B expired? I need your valuable suggestion immediately. Waiting for your responses.
Thanks