H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

A few questions for those in the know -

here is the situation:

We are going to Ottawa in late Oct to get my wife's H-1 stamped. Citizenship: India. It will be the first H-1 stamping on her passport, she has a PhD from a well known US univ. H-1 was approved in mid Apr. Do you see any issues cropping up?

One of the rules for stamping is that your passport should be valid beyond the duration of the visa. In our case, my wife's passport expires in 2008, a few months before the visa does... However, I checked the NY Indian Consulate website, and one can only renew a passport at most one year before expiry.

Has anyone been in this situation? Were there any issues in getting the visa stamped?

Any insights will be greatly appreciated. Thx.

September 19th Toronto for H1B

Hi H1b

I'm also going to toronto for my stamping on sept 19th. I work in Jacksonville FL. I'm flying to Toronto from Jacksonville and return ticket for spt 20th 7PM from toronto. If every thing goes alright i think i will be back on tuesday. I have not made any hotel reservations. Did you make hotel reservations. Which hotel and howmuch. Please email me @ k_saikrishna@hotmail.com

Thx
Sai Katragadda

h1_b said:
Hi dvp,

I am also heading to Toronto for H1B revalidation, this will be my first revalidation. I am also planning to drive and cross the border near Niagara, please post details about your revalidation experience as it will be a great help to all the future participants :)

thanks,
all the best for your revalidations,

You should be ok. Say you will get the visa stampe for 3 years and at the port of enetry the immigration officer will stamp your I-94 till the end of the validity date of your passport. Lalter on yu should be able to renew your passport and attache it to the one where you have the visa stampe on it and go the the INS office and apply for another I-94 form.

as765 said:
A few questions for those in the know -

here is the situation:

We are going to Ottawa in late Oct to get my wife's H-1 stamped. Citizenship: India. It will be the first H-1 stamping on her passport, she has a PhD from a well known US univ. H-1 was approved in mid Apr. Do you see any issues cropping up?

One of the rules for stamping is that your passport should be valid beyond the duration of the visa. In our case, my wife's passport expires in 2008, a few months before the visa does... However, I checked the NY Indian Consulate website, and one can only renew a passport at most one year before expiry.

Has anyone been in this situation? Were there any issues in getting the visa stamped?

Any insights will be greatly appreciated. Thx.

Hi Sai,

I have not made any reservations either. I am waiting for my TRV application to come thru from canadian embassy in NY :( . Once it comes back I will go ahead an make reservation and keep you posted. Based on the information I have gleaned on this very helpful thread, I think staying close to the embassy is not that much expensive :confused: .

all the very best, I will keep you posted,
thnx

saik said:
Hi H1b

I'm also going to toronto for my stamping on sept 19th. I work in Jacksonville FL. I'm flying to Toronto from Jacksonville and return ticket for spt 20th 7PM from toronto. If every thing goes alright i think i will be back on tuesday. I have not made any hotel reservations. Did you make hotel reservations. Which hotel and howmuch. Please email me @ k_saikrishna@hotmail.com

Thx
Sai Katragadda

Can any one give sample employer letters addressed to U.S. consulate for H1B visa stamping.

Thanks for your time and understanding.

Innocent4Ever said:
Can any one give sample employer letters addressed to U.S. consulate for H1B visa stamping.

Thanks for your time and understanding.

should state your name, nationality, current title, salary (= or > than mentioned in LCA), dates of validity of h1b status. mention that your employer plans to continue the employment relationship after re-entry.
a few sentences identifying the employer, nature of their business and revenue, etc (publicly available info).

tusharvk said:
should state your name, nationality, current title, salary (= or > than mentioned in LCA), dates of validity of h1b status. mention that your employer plans to continue the employment relationship after re-entry.
a few sentences identifying the employer, nature of their business and revenue, etc (publicly available info).
Thanks Tushar. I sent you pm yesterday. Can you post or pm yours, ofcourse, deleting all your personal details, like Saurabh Tiluka did, if you can.

http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showpost.php?p=1244254&postcount=6

Thanks again,
Innocent4Ever.

Do I need original degree certificates

I need to get my visa restamped. My current visa expired in August. My visa has been approved till Aug 2008. No change in company or job. I have a B. Tech. from IIT-K but no degree from any American Univ.

My original degree certificate/marksheet are in India. Will that create a problem at Canadian consulates?

I wanted to get everything stamped in India but it's too long a wait there.

Gravity

gravitation said:
I need to get my visa restamped. My current visa expired in August. My visa has been approved till Aug 2008. No change in company or job. I have a B. Tech. from IIT-K but no degree from any American Univ.

My original degree certificate/marksheet are in India. Will that create a problem at Canadian consulates?

Always produce Original Degrees and Mark Sheets than photocopies, as U.S. Consulate in Canada may suspect the authenticity of photocopies. If the Consulate does not accept the photocopies and denies visa, you cannot re-enter U.S. from Canada. You have to go to India, get your visa stamp in India and then enter U.S. Why would you want to put yourself in such a situation? Get your degree and marksheets from India before you appear for visa stamping in Canada. Also, take along with you for visa interview an evaluation of your Indian degree that you submitted with H1B petition.

I wanted to get everything stamped in India but it's too long a wait there.

Gravity

Earliest Date I can go for H1B interview

Hello All,

I am new to this H1 process and am unsure about the dates I can appear for H1 interview. I am on OPT right now which is valid through Feb 2006. The start date for my H1 is 1/1/06. I need to go to India in Dec 2005. I am not sure if I can travel before H1 start date.

My questions are:

1. When is the earliest I can go for an H1 interview with a start date of 1/1/06?

2. When is the earliest I can enter US with a start date of 1/1/06?

3. Can I go for VISA stamping to Canada in Nov 2005 and re-enter the US without any hassles?

4. How will my F1 (valid thru 7/08) be affected after H1 stamp?

I would appreciate any response to these queries. Because of the uncertainness, I am not able to make any concrete plans for my India trip. Please let me know.

Thanks!

do you have i797 in your hand already?
I believe you can go to h1 interview 10 days before your start date.
sometimes f1 is stamped as cancelled without prejudice at the embassy giving you h1b visa stamp.
jkaranam said:
Hello All,

I am new to this H1 process and am unsure about the dates I can appear for H1 interview. I am on OPT right now which is valid through Feb 2006. The start date for my H1 is 1/1/06. I need to go to India in Dec 2005. I am not sure if I can travel before H1 start date.

My questions are:

1. When is the earliest I can go for an H1 interview with a start date of 1/1/06?

2. When is the earliest I can enter US with a start date of 1/1/06?

3. Can I go for VISA stamping to Canada in Nov 2005 and re-enter the US without any hassles?

4. How will my F1 (valid thru 7/08) be affected after H1 stamp?

I would appreciate any response to these queries. Because of the uncertainness, I am not able to make any concrete plans for my India trip. Please let me know.

Thanks!

Canada Visitor visa

H1_b -

I got my canada visitor visa from New York in less than 10 days. They did not use the prepaid envelope I have sent, rather they used certified mail and sent only my passport. I'm glad i did not send any originals except for the I-94 stapled in the passport. Hope you already got it.

SAIK

Hi guys,

I am planning to go Ottawa next week for getting my H1B visa Stamped (have my appointment scheduled already) and had a few questions:

Does anyone have information regarding this. expereinces etc to share

Thanks
Pratik

visa revalidation - 7th year extension running

Hi:
I wanted to go to Canada for H1-b 7th year visa revalidation. I am working for the past 5 years in the same company in software field and got W-2's and paystubs. My only concern is I have done my Masters in commerce from India. Would like to know is it safe to go to canada and get the revalidation done.

My husband is also in 7th year and he too needs revalidation. Can we both apply together for the same date under family.

Thanks,

take the credential evaluation certificate for your masters from India. you might also want call nvars ph no and ask this question
tsr0228 said:
Hi:
I wanted to go to Canada for H1-b 7th year visa revalidation. I am working for the past 5 years in the same company in software field and got W-2's and paystubs. My only concern is I have done my Masters in commerce from India. Would like to know is it safe to go to canada and get the revalidation done.

My husband is also in 7th year and he too needs revalidation. Can we both apply together for the same date under family.

Thanks,

Recent experiences in Vancouver US Consulate

Hi,
Anyone with recent experiences in Vancouver ?
My wife needs to get an H1-B stamping at Vancouver.(F1 to H1, first time H1 stamping)

Thanks.
KAS

Successfull H1 from Toronto

Hi,

I'm obligated to write my experience to this forum.

I flew to toronto from my hometown. The delta airline rep in atlanta does not know whether to take my I-94 or not. Finally she took my old white I-94 and leave me the the extension I-94.

I rented a car from Entrprise(never use enterprise, their shuttle service take forever but cheap) and drove to my friend's place who is 30 miles from consulate.
09/19 : I started at 7.30 AM in the morning, it took like 1 hour and 15 mins to reach the parking lot Near University Ave and Kings St.

9.00 AM : I went to 44 Kings st Scotia Bank and paid the Application fee.( 5 mins wlk from Parking).

9.30 AM : I reached 225 Simcoe St. Please be aware that this street is closed for some part for costruction. So take Univ. Ave and you will see access to simcoe st. I'm right into the consulate as I have 10AM appointment.

Counter#3
C3 : Give all the docs listed.
Me: I gave passports, DS-156, 157, photo, appointment letter.
C3 : Please fill in these fields with NONE or N/A.
Me : I completed and submitted back.
C3 : When is your first visit to US.
Me : 1999
C3 : So you ran out of time. Did you start your green card.
Me : Yes
C3 : Do you have proof.
C3 : Keep it ready consular officer will ask you.

Once i'm done I waited for 1 hour 15 mins.
Consular officer called me to counter#4

C4 : Keep your left index for finger printing then right.
C4 : Do u live in USA?
Me : Yes.
C4 : Do you have letter from Employer with your job duties?
Me : Here it is. For job details please see the Petition. ( He did not see )
C4 : he worked on his computer and sked me to pay 50 dollars.

Tuesday I collected my passport at 3PM and went starit to airport.

Thanks

Degree matters !

Hi,

Are you MS degree holder? I amplannign to got to ottowa , Iam bachelor's degree(4 year) from India with 5 years U.S. experience.

Shall I have good chanes of gettign stamped in Canada , mean ottowa??

Mt H1B expires next september.

Thanks you for sharing you experience and let me know your qualifications and your opinion about ottowa

Thanks!

Degree matters !

Hi,

Are you MS degree holder? I amplannign to got to ottowa , Iam bachelor's degree(4 year) from India with 5 years U.S. experience.

Shall I have good chanes of gettign stamped in Canada , mean ottowa??

Mt H1B expires next september.

Thanks you for sharing you experience and let me know your qualifications and your opinion about ottowa

Thanks!

saik said:
Hi,

I'm obligated to write my experience to this forum.

I flew to toronto from my hometown. The delta airline rep in atlanta does not know whether to take my I-94 or not. Finally she took my old white I-94 and leave me the the extension I-94.

I rented a car from Entrprise(never use enterprise, their shuttle service take forever but cheap) and drove to my friend's place who is 30 miles from consulate.
09/19 : I started at 7.30 AM in the morning, it took like 1 hour and 15 mins to reach the parking lot Near University Ave and Kings St.

9.00 AM : I went to 44 Kings st Scotia Bank and paid the Application fee.( 5 mins wlk from Parking).

9.30 AM : I reached 225 Simcoe St. Please be aware that this street is closed for some part for costruction. So take Univ. Ave and you will see access to simcoe st. I'm right into the consulate as I have 10AM appointment.

Counter#3
C3 : Give all the docs listed.
Me: I gave passports, DS-156, 157, photo, appointment letter.
C3 : Please fill in these fields with NONE or N/A.
Me : I completed and submitted back.
C3 : When is your first visit to US.
Me : 1999
C3 : So you ran out of time. Did you start your green card.
C3 : Do you have proof.
C3 : Keep it ready consular officer will ask you.

Once i'm done I waited for 1 hour 15 mins.
Consular officer called me to counter#4

C4 : Keep your left index for finger printing then right.
C4 : Do u live in USA?
Me : Yes.
C4 : Do you have letter from Employer with your job duties?
Me : Here it is. For job details please see the Petition. ( He did not see )
C4 : he worked on his computer and sked me to pay 50 dollars.

Tuesday I collected my passport at 3PM and went starit to airport.

Thanks
Congratulations!!! Sai. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Kiran.