H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

161 said:
no, they dont' call, just wait for the mail comes in.
Now a days, the consulate people are calling home to confirm the interview date and for some background check.

Btw, how long ago did you take appointment? Do you know any hotels near the consulate that I can stay in at reasonable prices? I think we have to plan a 3 day trip. one day to arrive in Ottawa, one day for the interview, and the final day to collect the passport and fly back. What do you say?

Tanveer,
If you plan to go to Canada, then plan accordingly, especially if yo are not canadian resident...for more info read my previous posts, you'll get a very good idea what i went through...
goodluck
Faisal

tanveer666 said:
I AM FROM PAKISTAN I HAVE STAMPED H1B1 VISA TWICE ONCE FROM PAKISTAN AND SECOUND TIME FROM U S A . I WANT TO GET MY H1B1 VISA STAMP THIRD TIME FROM CANADA

COULD ANY BODY TELL ME THEIR RECENT EXPERIENCE FOR VISA STAMPING FROM CANADA

HOW LONG THEY TAKE FOR BACKGROUND CHECK FOR PAKISTANI NATIONAL

THKS

tanveer45@hotmail.com
718-974-2813

I took Greyhoud last year

Studious said:
Now a days, the consulate people are calling home to confirm the interview date and for some background check.

Btw, how long ago did you take appointment? Do you know any hotels near the consulate that I can stay in at reasonable prices? I think we have to plan a 3 day trip. one day to arrive in Ottawa, one day for the interview, and the final day to collect the passport and fly back. What do you say?
I live in NYC so I took Greyhound at night last year and came back the same day after I got my stamp, which is the same day I was interviewed. So this year I will do the same thing but stay one night there.

161 said:
I live in NYC so I took Greyhound at night last year and came back the same day after I got my stamp, which is the same day I was interviewed. So this year I will do the same thing but stay one night there.
I live in Jersey City. Thanks for the information. Can you give me information about the hotels also? By the way do we need visitor visa even if we travel by greyhound?

H1 Stamping in Canada with Stamp in Passport Expired

Friends, I wanted to ask you a question related to H1 stamping based on my case below.

• The H1 visa stamp in my passport expired back in 29th Jan 2004 ( well over a year back).
  • The H1 approval from my current company is valid till 3rd Feb 2006.
  • I have never been out of status in my last 8 years stay here in the US.
  • I am a Canadian permanent resident.
  • I have been to the Vancouver consulate back in 2000 to get my first H1 visa stamped.
  • I have a Masters from the US and my last 5+ years experience is also from the US.

Is it safe for me to go to Canada for a visa stamping? I have been told by several people that if the visa in the passport has expired over a year back, its not safe to go to Canada, and instead go to home country. Is this true? Can you please let me know.

Thanks!

Hello there,
I am schedule to have my visa interview on the 1st september which is thursday. If everything goes well, isn't it reasonable to pick up the passport next day, that is Friday? Or it may take longer than that? I am not talking about what might happen in the case of background check. I know it takes upto a month for that. I just wanted to know if everthing goes fine without any background check.

Is here anyone who could not pick up his/her passport next day?

Please help, I am scheduled return on Monday. I would have to change my plans drastically if there is a possibility of something happening like that.

Please respond, I would be grateful for any response.

Documents for Stamping

Hi...

I was wondering if anyone has handy a checklist of documents that are needed for H1b stamping in canada. Any response would be much appreciated.

-R

I-94 and canda trip for Visa Stamping

I became permanent resident of Canada in Dec 2004. I have appointment with Toronto US Consulate on Sept 1, 2005 for visa stamping. I am planning to cross Nigara border post and arrive in Canada.

I have few quetions from the Gurus.

1. I have original I-94 card issued by NY Immigration when I first landed in US. This I-94 expired way back in March 2002. I-797 notice also has I-94 stub. The question I have is what happens to these two I-94s.

2. At Canadian-US border, does Canadian immigration officer take away any of these I-94s. If yes, which one they take - the one that was issued at the time when I first came to US or the one that is part of I-797 notice.

3. Is the I-94 that is part of the I-797 notice taken by Toronto US consulate?

4. When I return, whether US immigration issues new I-94 or allows to reenter on the expired I-94, if it was not taken by the Canadian border post or the Toronto US consulate.

I would appreicate a quick response.

Last edited by a moderator:
Toronto - Sept. 19th

Hi dvp,

I am also heading to Toronto for H1B revalidation, this will be my first revalidation. I am also planning to drive and cross the border near Niagara, please post details about your revalidation experience as it will be a great help to all the future participants :)

thanks,
all the best for your revalidations,

Method of payment

chimi said:
I just made an appointment for getting my H1 stamped in Ottawa and in the appointment letter it says, they are no longer returning the passports the same day. It may take 3 min days to get the stamped passport back.

Is this really true? I mean, immiadvice got his back the same day, right?

Does anyone have any ideas about this?

chimi..

Also related to this - IN Ottawa, do they take cash as an acceptable method of payment or does it have to be an international money order?
If it is money order - what amount should it be in for myself and my wife together. I did not find anything on the website about the reciprocity fee.

Thanks

nstc said:
Also related to this - IN Ottawa, do they take cash as an acceptable method of payment or does it have to be an international money order?
If it is money order - what amount should it be in for myself and my wife together. I did not find anything on the website about the reciprocity fee.

Thanks
from my exp in toronto, they will accept cash(US$)/credit cards for reciprocity fees.
I heard they return pp only the next day in ottawa (recent change).

they accept cash

nstc said:

Thanks
you can find out the amount on the papers they sent to you along with confirmation letter.

Share your recent experience at Toronto consulate

Hello,

My wife has an appointment with Toronto consulate on Sept. 06 and we just learned obviously Toronto is the only consulate in Canada that would reject your H1B if your qualifying degree is not from the US (My wife entered the US on H1B, and she only has a B.S. in computer engineering from China.)

An immigration lawyer told me that this was true obviously as of the spring of last year because there was even an inquiry from the immigration lawyer association regarding this matter, and the explanation from the Toronto consulate back then was that they "have full rights" to reject those applications because of the rule says they can reject the application if they have a hard time evaluating the qualifying degree, and the actual reason was that they are trying to cut down the workload. The lawyer cannot confirm whether this is still the case there. This obviously is not an issue at other US consulates in Canada.

Don't know how many people who went to the Toronto consulate for H1B visa are in similar situation? Can you share your recent experience so we can decide to go or not to go?

Your help is much appreciated.

Same Question as SongLiu

Hi,
Can anyone confirm/deny the above please? I have a non-Comp Sci degree (masters) from a US univ. But have been working as a software engineer for the past 8 years.

Will this be a problem in any Canada based US Consulate? I'm thinking of heading down to Ottawa, but is there a preferable one? Is the Montreal consulate opening up soon?

Thanks,
Ashwin.

H1-B Visa Revalidation experience

Guys,

Here is my visa revalidation experience at Toronto Consulate. I was little-bit worried as I became Canadian permanent resident in Dec 2004 and I decided to go to revalidate visa at Toronto Consulate.

I had an appointment with US consulate, Toronto on Sept 1, 2005 at 9:30 AM.

I started from NJ a day before the date of appointment by rental car. At Niagra border, I had little bit tough experience, since I was Canadian Permanent Resident and still working in US. The officer asked when I am going to permanently move into Canada. The officer was trying to check whether I have clear intentions to fulfill the canadian permanent residency obligations. I replied that I am planning to move into Canada in June 2006. On finding my answer satisfactory, he filled up one yellow slip and asked me to go to Immigration office in the nearby building. The immigraition officer over there looked at my H1 documents and within a few seconds he rubber stamped the yellow slip and asked me to goto Customs office in the same building. The Customs office browsed the yellow slip and he kept the slip and he said, "OK, Goodbye!"

Next day, I reached the consulate at about 8:30 AM and waited in line - Nonimmigrant visa applicants are admitted in from the back side of the consulate building - i.e. Simcoe st entrance. After Security screening, I waited in line with my wife and son. Once, we reached at the counter, the lady at counter looked at all our documents and asked some basic questions like when I first came into US. I had not filled up my high school information on DS-157. She asked me to write in that information. She asked me to show the proof that my company had filed for greencard. I showed a letter from State Work Force Agency certifying that an applicaiton for permenent labor certification is pending with them filed by my employer. She told me to keep the same letter ready as officer will ask me to show that letter at the time of interview. She asked us to wait for the interview.

Waiting for about 15 minutes, my name was called on window #6. We went to the lady officer. She asked me to show my employment letter, recent pay stubs and the letter described above. After checking all these, she took our finger prints and gave three slips and asked us to come and collect the passports next day between 3.00 and 4.00 PM.

My son collected the passports next day. Our old I-94 forms were taken by the consulate. Tha passports with visa and I-797 approval notices were returned.

At the US port of entry - we showed our passports and I-797 approval notices - these were already stapled to the passports by the Consulate office. The immigration officer looked at these documents and asked us to proceed. We didn't even have to get out of our car.

I hope this will be helpful to others. If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask.

Visa Stamping from Canada

Hi Guys,

I am landed immigrant and I am planning to get my H1B visa stamped from Canada after landing. In case, if I subject to security clearance,which normally takes from 3 weeks to 8 weeks, so instead of waiting in Canada, can I travel to my home country and come back once they call me that security clearance process is done.

Is there anyone who had same kind of experience or can advise on this, I will really appreciate?

Relevant Question

Question - Do we need to have two separate appointments with US Consulate in Canada for H1-B and H4 visa stamping for Visa Revalidation/ Extension? I am under impression that only one appointment in the name of Primary (H1-B) holder will work for both as you get reference number once for that one appointment.

ela6 said:
In my case, they never called. But, I still was referred to security clearance. If you think you can wait for 5 days then do so. But, if you think that the air fare is going to go up in 5 days, I would simply buy it. I don't think they are in a situation where they can call you and alert you.

The worst thing in that case that can happen is that you will lose $100 on each ticket. The hotel reservation can be cancelled before 24 or 48 hrs of the proposed stay (without penalty - if you book it in the hotel's web-site).

Please take the labor documentation. I don't see a harm in that. Just keep all the relevant documents and hand over the documents that they want to see.

H1B stamping in Canada.

Hi All,

I am on H1B visa. Few months back i changed job. Now the issue is I need to get my Visa stamped as my 3 yr visa expires in December.

- I have everything clean ....no issues with my employment or Visa. Nothing shady as far as my papers are concerned.
What are the chances of being refused a visa stamping?

- Even if i am refused a visa at Toronto in November can I make a trip back to Detroit and fly to India from here becaz my I-94 and Visa validity remains till end of December.

Please advice.

Thanks.

arsraj87 said:
Please share any experience in Toronto US Consulate for
H1B & H4 Revalidation.

I have had my first H1B stamped from Toronto back in 2001.

Thanks
Raj

it depends on one's being marked for security check. some people also mentioned that you would need to have a degree from US university.

one can not re-enter the US if they applied for visa unless visa stamp is approved. the consulate may take I-94 card.
hungama said:
Hi All,

I am on H1B visa. Few months back i changed job. Now the issue is I need to get my Visa stamped as my 3 yr visa expires in December.

- I have everything clean ....no issues with my employment or Visa. Nothing shady as far as my papers are concerned.
What are the chances of being refused a visa stamping?

- Even if i am refused a visa at Toronto in November can I make a trip back to Detroit and fly to India from here becaz my I-94 and Visa validity remains till end of December.

Please advice.

Thanks.

H1-B Renewal

Any body has recent experince getting the renewal of the H1-B visa in canada or mexico.

I am planning to renew my visa and my family visas out side my home country.