H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

on this forum there are some posts where the people from SR countries got a phone call regarding their interview. not getting a call does not guarantee no background checks. but having recd phone call means the person will be subject to background check. (Unless rules have changed and they are calling everyone with this warning).
you may have to allocate sufficient time for this purpose;
my suggestion would be to avoid leaving the country unless you absolutely need to.
BigMonty said:
I have applied for a H1-b visa interview in Toronto on Sep 1 through NVARS and got the confirmation letter. And then I also received a call from VISA office in Toronto and the lady informed me that my visa interview has been confirmed on Sep 1 and warned me that it might take 3-4 weeks for background check if Consulate deems it necessary.

I would highly appreciate if any body has any suggestions.

Thanks

BigMonty

H1 B VISA in OTTAWA - Latest Newz JUL 2005

I got my H1 B Visa successfully stamped in Ottawa on 21st July 2005

Applied thru amcits.com for appointment. For Ottawa they mention that the Embassy is closed on Wednesdays, but thats not the case. I got interview appointment for a Wednesday only.
Once you apply online, within a week I got the letter from the Ottawa for visa stamping. It had the DS156 form that I needed. Male applicants need the DS158 form as well.
You need to give this letter that you have received by mail or take a print out of it when u book online to the security guard outside the Embassy. Only then , will u be let in.
Do not forget to fill the DS156 (and DS158) forms online at nvars.com and take a print of this form itself. It will generate a barcode. This can be used by the officer to view it online as well iff needed.

Here are more specific details :

1) Landed Ottawa on 19th late evening

2) Got CDN currency exchanged at the airport. For one person and a 3 day stay u will need 150 CDN approx.The local people dont give any discount iff u pay in USD and u might want to re-consider buying currency at the airport.

3) Stayed at Travelodge Eat Inn. Its abt 8 miles from the airport (taxi fare 27 CDN) and about 6 miles from the US Embassy (taxi fare 20 CDN)

4) Had interview on 20th July at 8:00 am. There were quiet a few people. Guess, could make out they were Indians.
This was my third visa stamping experience.
First - Mumbai
Second - St. Louis before this wretched law(!) of getting it stamped in ur motherland could be implemented
Third - This visit to Ottawa
I have not changed companies so this may/may not be true for other cases seeking for guidance.

5) I took all possible documents : DS156, All Sal Slips, IT Returns, Bank Statements, Ties in India (House rent recipts and water bills of the India house depicting ties), Passport, Canada entry docs (tourist Visa), ALL LCA's

6) I was called into the Embassy at sharp 7:45 am.

7) Please do not carry any bags, purses. Just carry a "transparent" plastic bag which has all ur docs, NO CELL. They made people dispose them off and do not take care of our belongings while we r being interviewed.

8) First had to pay the $100 USD non re-fundable fee at one counter.They took the DS156 form, passport and the H1 document.

9) Within 5 mins was called to another window for the interview.

10) Officer was scrolling thru the DS156 as he spoke to me. He asked me -
a) what year did I join my company.
b) Can you prove that you are still employeed (showed him all latest pay stubs)

11) Asked me go and pay the Reciprocity Fee ($50 USD). Its diff for diff visas. For H1 B and for Indians it is 50 USD.

12) Went to the same counter where I had submitted the DS156, H1 Document and Passport.

13) They asked me to come the next dat at 3:00 pm to collect passport. They give a red coloured receipt which u need to get when u come to collect the passport. Save that very carefully.

14) Came back at 3:15 on 21st July. Took the Passport. Had to show ID as the passport was given at a small security man's booth outside the Embassy.

15) Flew back home (USA) on 22nd morning.

Note : Please be truthful. Dont manipulate ur answers. Have all documentation even iff u think or they have mentioned that it is not needed. Take morning appointments as the officers dont generally start spoiling ur day :)
OTTATWA RULE : From 20th June 2005, ALL passports for the approved visas will be made available for pick up the next day of your interview. So, please plan accordingly. Its better to come a day before and return 2 days after ur interview.

For Toronto , u need to deposit $100 USD as visa fee to Bank of Scotia and show the receipt at the Embassy. Only then will u be taken inside. So, iff stamping in Toronto go a day earlier as the Bank is open between 10 am and 4 pm EST only.

GOOD LUCK FOR YOUR STAMPINGS !!!

tusharvk said:
on this forum there are some posts where the people from SR countries got a phone call regarding their interview. not getting a call does not guarantee no background checks. but having recd phone call means the person will be subject to background check. (Unless rules have changed and they are calling everyone with this warning).
you may have to allocate sufficient time for this purpose;
my suggestion would be to avoid leaving the country unless you absolutely need to.

Thanks Tusharvk for your response. When you said "having recd phone call means the person will be subject to background check" can you please provide more details? Do you know people who had the similar experience?

Thanks for sharing the info Prithikv.
Is your degree/masters from US or India?
Pls clarify.
Regards.

call from Toronto

BigMonty,
Dont be panic, usually consulate people call to confirm the appointment and aslo warn about the background check, they called me also and lots of other folks too. So dont worry about the call, take the all necessary docs with you. You should be ok...

P.S : I dont come to forum that frequently now , if anyone of you have any concerns or questions shoot me an email on fbhatti@aol.com

goodluck to all

BigMonty said:
I have applied for a H1-b visa interview in Toronto on Sep 1 through NVARS and got the confirmation letter. And then I also received a call from VISA office in Toronto and the lady informed me that my visa interview has been confirmed on Sep 1 and warned me that it might take 3-4 weeks for background check if Consulate deems it necessary.

Now this issue regarding background check is mentioned on NVARS website and also the letter but I never heard from anyone that they also make a call to confirm the appointment. I was wondering whether this call was just a routine call/warning or they only call those people with whom they anticipate trouble. I really got worried after getting the call.

I transferred from OPT to H-1b January ,2005 and valid until 2008. I came to US in 1999, finished my PhD on 2004 and now working as a visiting faculty in a university and this is the first time I am going outside US. With paperwork, I do not anticipate any problem.

By the way, I am from Bangladesh and Bangladesh was under special registration requirement while that law was in force. Is the call that I got from VISA office has something to do with nationality?

I am really worried now...I have made all the plans regarding travel and after this call I am thinking whether I should cancel.

I would highly appreciate if any body has any suggestions.

Thanks

BigMonty

I have valid I797 but no H1 visa stamp in passport. I am planning to go to Toronto to get H1 visa stamped on my passport and H4 stamps on family' s passports. I have made appointment at Consulate in Toronto. I am Indian citizen. I am really not sure how the visa issue process works at the consulate? Can you please guide?

:confused: Also have a fear of getting stuck in Canada for a long time or they asking me to go to India to apply for visa? Is that likely? Have you heard of any cases like that? Please advise asap because I need to plan for going to Canada in few days. Thanks.
-----------------------------

ndialani said:
We (Me and My wife) went to Vancouver, for H-1 and H-4 Visa revalidation on May 31st. 2005. It was a piece of cake. Everythig went really smooth.
It took less than 5 minutes for the interview. The guy there was really nice,well, he didnt ask me any questions...he looked at us and said, "i know its hard to get appointment in India that quick, pick up your passpot at 3:00 PM (same Day)" That was IT!!!
As long as you have all the papers, dont worry about it.
DETAILS:
Actually, first i spoke to XYZ Laywer , he was charging me $2800 dollars to accompany me to Ottawa and walk me through step by step. I was very inclined to go with him...you know we all are so scared of every little thing.
Than i called up Immigration.com for second openion...the attorney at Rajiv Khanna's office, kinda laughed at me, She said, :"why you want yo pay so much money ...if you have the necessary documents ..do it yourself"
Than i read more letters on this forum...felt better.
i m SOOOOOOOOOO glad , i didn'd waste so much money....infact..that $2800 dollars paid for the whole 4 days vacation plus gifts!!!
If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.
i will guide you step by step....HEY Guys! i wony charge you!!!HE!HE!HE!
Good Luck!

fbhatti said:
BigMonty,
Dont be panic, usually consulate people call to confirm the appointment and aslo warn about the background check, they called me also and lots of other folks too. So dont worry about the call, take the all necessary docs with you. You should be ok...

P.S : I dont come to forum that frequently now , if anyone of you have any concerns or questions shoot me an email on fbhatti@aol.com

goodluck to all

Thanks a lot fbhatti. That was a great relief! I was suddenlty thinking I am on some sort suspect list.

BigMonty

flyhigh said:
Hello,

Please help !!!!

I am planning to go to Toronto for H1B / H4 Stamping in August 2005. I will be landing in Canada as a Permanent Resident ( never been to Canada before ). I heard that when I go for H1 stamping at the consulate they will ask for my PR card which I won't get until 3 to 4 weeks after I land in Canada. I am only staying for a week in Canada.

Do I need to have to have PR card for H1 stamping or my landed papers will suffice. Or any other required document I need to carry for the stamping.

Please help me if anybody out there went through similar situation.

Regards,
FLYHIGH
Flyhigh, did you get any answer or more information to your this question? I am exactly in same situation. Basically want to go to Canada to apply for PR and then immediately want to come back to US. Please post/reply your latest inputs, that will help me. Thanks.

Revalidation experience

Hello All,

This forum has been a lot of help in getting info on H1-B revalidation in Toronto. Thanks all for your help.

Background:
I've my Masters from India. I already had two H1-B stamps from India (Calcutta and Delhi). I had to gone to Toronto to get third H1 on my passport. I have been working in same company for 3 years and second extension thru them. I got my Candian visitor visa from Detroit based upon appointment letter. I had an appointment at US consulate Toronto on 28 July, 2005.

My wife and me had an appointment at 9:00 AM. We went to Scotia bank on intersection of King St and Bay st at 8:00 AM and got the money part done. It took us 15 minute by walk to reach US consulate. There was a long queue to verify our paperwork. My photographs didn't meet their requirments so had to take new ones at Consulate itself. It costed me $5 canadian (the photo machine dont accept US bills). After paperwork was cleared, the lady put a "Cancelled without prejudice" stamp on my previous visa and gave me back the I-94 extension (that came along with petetion). My name was called after 1.5 hrs. The officer was nice. He asked me how long I have been working with the company. How do you like Dallas? Have you been to San Antonio? Then he asked me if my company had started the Labor process. He suggested me to ask my company to speed up LC process as I am approaching 6 year H1-b limit. I had to pay non-reciprocity fees of $50 (US) and thats it. Next day I picked up my passport and was issued till 2007.

I had to drive to Detroit to catch my flight back home. I was asked to visit the border police office to get a new I-94. They had a big office and there were lot of officers there. One of the officer asked me if I need help. The first question he asked me was my nationality. The officer asked me reason of visit and length of stay at Toronto. He confirmed my home address, company, nature of job and total length of stay in US. I got my new I-94 in 20-25 minutes.

I hope it helps

Good luck

mr1975 said:
Hello All,

This forum has been a lot of help in getting info on H1-B revalidation in Toronto. Thanks all for your help.

Background:
I've my Masters from India. I already had two H1-B stamps from India (Calcutta and Delhi). I had to gone to Toronto to get third H1 on my passport. I have been working in same company for 3 years and second extension thru them. I got my Candian visitor visa from Detroit based upon appointment letter. I had an appointment at US consulate Toronto on 28 July, 2005.

My wife and me had an appointment at 9:00 AM. We went to Scotia bank on intersection of King St and Bay st at 8:00 AM and got the money part done. It took us 15 minute by walk to reach US consulate. There was a long queue to verify our paperwork. My photographs didn't meet their requirments so had to take new ones at Consulate itself. It costed me $5 canadian (the photo machine dont accept US bills). After paperwork was cleared, the lady put a "Cancelled without prejudice" stamp on my previous visa and gave me back the I-94 extension (that came along with petetion). My name was called after 1.5 hrs. The officer was nice. He asked me how long I have been working with the company. How do you like Dallas? Have you been to San Antonio? Then he asked me if my company had started the Labor process. He suggested me to ask my company to speed up LC process as I am approaching 6 year H1-b limit. I had to pay non-reciprocity fees of $50 (US) and thats it. Next day I picked up my passport and was issued till 2007.

I had to drive to Detroit to catch my flight back home. I was asked to visit the border police office to get a new I-94. They had a big office and there were lot of officers there. One of the officer asked me if I need help. The first question he asked me was my nationality. The officer asked me reason of visit and length of stay at Toronto. He confirmed my home address, company, nature of job and total length of stay in US. I got my new I-94 in 20-25 minutes.

I hope it helps

Good luck

How long ago did you get the appointment ? I tried on nvars.com and there doesn't seem to be any available appointments.. Thanks in adavnce for responding

I took appointment in May 2005. You may try other consulates in Canda. Toronto consulate is quite busy

Ottowa stamp

There are lot of messages about Toronto. The problem is it says approximate waiting time for Toronto is 70 days whereas it says Ottawa is 30 days only.
Is there a reason why every body is going to Toronto and not to Ottowa?

Additionally what kind of visa is needed to go to Canada and what is the process of getting that?

Any help will be appreciated.

ferguson said:
There are lot of messages about Toronto. The problem is it says approximate waiting time for Toronto is 70 days whereas it says Ottawa is 30 days only.
Is there a reason why every body is going to Toronto and not to Ottowa?

Additionally what kind of visa is needed to go to Canada and what is the process of getting that?

Any help will be appreciated.

Its not like that; lot of people are going to Ottawa too. Infact Ottawa is very convenient for stamping, less waiting time and if your case is straightforward then no hassle in getting stamp.
For visiting Canada for stamping purpose you need Temperory Resident visa fron Canadian consulate.

DSLstart said:
Its not like that; lot of people are going to Ottawa too. Infact Ottawa is very convenient for stamping, less waiting time and if your case is straightforward then no hassle in getting stamp.
For visiting Canada for stamping purpose you need Temperory Resident visa fron Canadian consulate.

ottawa does not mean less waiting time; stamped passports will be given only the next business day. tourist interest in toronto could be one reason why people are going there.

H1 Validation

ndialani said:
We (Me and My wife) went to Vancouver, for H-1 and H-4 Visa revalidation on May 31st. 2005. It was a piece of cake. Everythig went really smooth.
It took less than 5 minutes for the interview. The guy there was really nice,well, he didnt ask me any questions...he looked at us and said, "i know its hard to get appointment in India that quick, pick up your passpot at 3:00 PM (same Day)" That was IT!!!
As long as you have all the papers, dont worry about it.
DETAILS:
Actually, first i spoke to XYZ Laywer , he was charging me $2800 dollars to accompany me to Ottawa and walk me through step by step. I was very inclined to go with him...you know we all are so scared of every little thing.
Than i called up Immigration.com for second openion...the attorney at Rajiv Khanna's office, kinda laughed at me, She said, :"why you want yo pay so much money ...if you have the necessary documents ..do it yourself"
Than i read more letters on this forum...felt better.
i m SOOOOOOOOOO glad , i didn'd waste so much money....infact..that $2800 dollars paid for the whole 4 days vacation plus gifts!!!
If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.
i will guide you step by step....HEY Guys! i wony charge you!!!HE!HE!HE!
Good Luck!

HI

I came on F1 Visa to US and did my masters. After that stayed on OPT for one year and started PHD for one semester. In the middle of semester I quit and went for job and got H1 for Employer A. After three month I changed the employer and got H1 for employer B. My H1 is expiring this december. Employer has filed H1 extenstion for second term (In July 2005). I do not have a visa stamp in My passport, as I never travelled while I was on H1. I am planning to travel January 2006. I want to go to canada for stamping H1 visa. Could you give me step by step information?

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks

sanjay_41 said:
HI

I came on F1 Visa to US and did my masters. After that stayed on OPT for one year and started PHD for one semester. In the middle of semester I quit and went for job and got H1 for Employer A. After three month I changed the employer and got H1 for employer B. My H1 is expiring this december. Employer has filed H1 extenstion for second term (In July 2005). I do not have a visa stamp in My passport, as I never travelled while I was on H1. I am planning to travel January 2006. I want to go to canada for stamping H1 visa. Could you give me step by step information?

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks

you have to read the posts on this forum and familiarize with the process.
in brief
first make apt thru nvars.com;get all docs; get canadian visa if required and you can go to interview.

Thanks tusharvk for your reply.

HI Gurus

I have read the thread. My situations is as follow.

My current H1 is expiring in dec. 2005. I am expecting to get my notice of approval for h1 extension somewhere in November 2005, as we have applied for H1 extension on August 1, 2005. When I checked Mumbai Consulate's website for visa appointment, they have 67 days wait period for nonimmigrant visa. I am planning to travel to India in January 2006. This would be my first H1 visa stamp. I have questions

1. Is it possible to schedule an appointment for Mumbai consulate even when you are in US in advance? So I can plan my visit accordingly.

2. As this is my first H1 Visa stamp, will it have any effect if I go to canada for stamping? I have read in thread somehwere it has been mentioned that first H1 visa stamp might cause problem in Canada. But could not find more info. about the problem.

3. Which is better option for me to get H1 visa stamp?
a. Go to Canada and get the stamp and then travel to India
b. Visit India and get H1 Visa stamp there.

4. As in india, the wait time is 67 days, Is is somehitng like I have to schedule and appointment for VISA consulate somewhere in end of November? So that I will get an appointment somewhere in January and then I travel accordingly.

I really appreciate your help in this issue

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
visa appointment____help

Am I doing anything wrong? I went online to get a date..i am getting '0' or '-' on all dates and all consulates.

Please help?

Thanks

my answers are based on my exp and I am no expert.
1. yes; I do know they asked for I797# when someone tried to schedule apt at chennai
2. I (& many of my friends) have got first h1 stamp in toronto.
check out my posting detailing my exp of visiting canada for visa stamping.

For #3&4, I do not know the answers.
The bottom line is you should not leave the US unless you absolutely have to.
sanjay_41 said:
Thanks tusharvk for your reply.

HI Gurus

I have read the thread. My situations is as follow.

My current H1 is expiring in dec. 2005. I am expecting to get my notice of approval for h1 extension somewhere in November 2005, as we have applied for H1 extension on August 1, 2005. When I checked Mumbai Consulate's website for visa appointment, they have 67 days wait period for nonimmigrant visa. I am planning to travel to India in January 2006. This would be my first H1 visa stamp. I have questions

1. Is it possible to schedule an appointment for Mumbai consulate even when you are in US in advance? So I can plan my visit accordingly.

2. As this is my first H1 Visa stamp, will it have any effect if I go to canada for stamping? I have read in thread somehwere it has been mentioned that first H1 visa stamp might cause problem in Canada. But could not find more info. about the problem.

3. Which is better option for me to get H1 visa stamp?
a. Go to Canada and get the stamp and then travel to India
b. Visit India and get H1 Visa stamp there.

4. As in india, the wait time is 67 days, Is is somehitng like I have to schedule and appointment for VISA consulate somewhere in end of November? So that I will get an appointment somewhere in January and then I travel accordingly.

I really appreciate your help in this issue

Thanks

REALLY NEED ADVICE in GAINING H1 VISA ASAP

Hi
I am currently on H1 and i came to USA on L1 in 2003.I got my L1 to H1 transfered in Jan 2004 but never got the visa since i havent gone back to India since April 2003.I have done my B.E. ( Mechanical Engineering) from India and i am currently working for a software company here in USA.

I am really confused wether i should go back to India for getting visa or i should go to Canada.I will be getting married in India in October and i already do have an appointment in Delhi U.S. Counsulate,but i am really tensed about it.

My questions are :

1) Is it better for me to go to Canada or Delhi to get first time H1 visa stamping done ?
2) Will there be a problem for me to get visa in Canada since my B.E. is in Mechanical field but i am working in software field now ?
3)What if i want to get married to a girl from US who is a US citizen,is it better for me to get married here in USA first and then apply for visa in India ?

Please advice asap.

Thanks in advance.