H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

I'm Bachelor Of Engineering from India. 5.5 years exp. I did not see anyone having problems in the consulate. I cannot comment on your H1 Status.

If your green card application in process then make sure you take the proof.

img123 said:
Hi,

Are you MS degree holder? I amplannign to got to ottowa , Iam bachelor's degree(4 year) from India with 5 years U.S. experience.

Shall I have good chanes of gettign stamped in Canada , mean ottowa??

Mt H1B expires next september.

Thanks you for sharing you experience and let me know your qualifications and your opinion about ottowa

Thanks!

Proof

Hi,

Thanks for posting your suggestions, but you mentioned proof about GC, what proof I can take with me??

Lawyer's emails are there that they did send my Labor appliactions to DOL.

What signifcant proof that I can take ??

Please let me know how you provided in this regard

7th Yr Visa Stamp

Hello ,

I had a question.I have a valid visa stamp on my passport till April 2006 .So say if I goto Canada in Feb-06 for visa stamping and for any reason they deny the stamping , can I still come to USA , as I still have a valid visa stamp of USA till april 06

thanks in advance.

At Ottawa Consulate - When do I get the passport back if the stamping is done ? If i had the interview on 21st October for e.g. what day and time should i expect to go pick up the passport ? Info would help me book the flight tickets.
Thanks

I took MD SESA receipt copy my attorney used to file the 7th year ext. It is there with me I129 petition.

Are you on 7th year ext h1.

img123 said:
Hi,

Thanks for posting your suggestions, but you mentioned proof about GC, what proof I can take with me??

Lawyer's emails are there that they did send my Labor appliactions to DOL.

What signifcant proof that I can take ??

Please let me know how you provided in this regard

Details about Ottawa Visa Experience

Hi

As others have mentioned, this forum and specifically this thread has been extremely helpful to me for preparing for my visa interview in Ottawa, Canada. I just had my interview 2-3 days back and writing my detailed experience here so that it can be helpful to others.

Before I proceed with my experience, a brief history about myself so ppl know what situation I am in:

Came here to US on a F1 visa to do my Master’s degree
Got onto my OPT after F1
Got a job on H1 during my OPT
Working now as a full-time employee with a mid-sized firm (approx 1000 employees)

-- Reached a day before the interview – just so that you can settle in.
-- Stayed at Quality Inn – really close to the consulate (10 min walk) and also right in downtown so it’s a lively place
-- You can reach a little early (than your appointement time) and they normally take you in.
-- The people in the consualte are very very polite and helpful. so that relieves half the tension.
-- You first have to go to counter #7 and pay the applciation fees ($100 -cash accepted in Ottawa) and also submit the DS-156, DS 157 and your I-797 (Approval notice).
--You then have to sit in the waiting area and wait for your name to be called
-- The officer who interviewd me was very nice and didnt ask me any questions at all.
-- Just asked what does your company do and then can i get your employment letter.
-- Thats about it. Asked me to ay reciprocity fees ($50 - cash or credit card both accepted for this payment) at the Counter #7 and asked to come back to show the reciept.
-- Then she said come next day at 3 pm and collect your passport. Gave me a reciept for the same
-- Thats the whole experience. Next day went at 2:30. got my passport by 3:00 and was back onto the flight to NYC.

Just a few pointers which I had noticed when in conuslate.

If you are a full time employee of a decent sized firm, they really dont scrutinize you a lot. Seen a few people who were consultants( I think in IT field) and they were grilled a little more but eventually all of them (atleast the ones I saw) were all given a visa stamp.

So jsut get all your documents organzied and be polite. that helps a lot and almost ensures in getting a visa stamp.

Crying...Crying...and Crying, help me please

I have recently joined a software company on August 15 on H1B. I have to visit India in the month of October, 2005 and so I have booked appointment in August itself for H1B stamping on October 4, 2005 at the U.S. Consulate in Ottawa.

You must be aware that desi software consulting companies withhold payment for the first two weeks from when you start working for them. I am in New York right now and my company is in California. My company mailed me yesterday via overnight delivery couple of pay stubs dated September 15, 2005 and September 30, 2005 and I am supposed to receive them today by 10:30 a.m today. I also planned to go to Canadian consulate in New York in person tomorrow for Temporary Resident Visa. As I did not receive package until 11:00 a.m. today, I called FEDEX and it says that the package was delivered at 10:10 a.m today. I lost those pay stubs in mail and when I called FEDEX they said that the sender did not opt for delivery/signature confirmation, the driver actually delivered the package and they do not owe any responsibility.

Now, I have two working days left to obtain Temporary Resident Visa at Canadian Consulate and go for stamping. I have already booked my flight tickets to fly to Canada on September 3 (my interview is on September 4) and hotel in Ottawa.

My company told me that it is not possible to generate original pay stubs but can send me the printouts of paystubs. My questions are:

Does Canadian Consulate in New York accept printouts of pay stubs to issue Temporary Resident Visa. I can also show them bank statements as proof of funds. I have all other documents available with me and if need arises I can produce everything else in originals.

Does U.S. consulate in Ottawa accept printouts of pay stubs as I lost my pay stubs in mail and cannot produce them in original?

I am crying, crying, and loudly crying, please help me.

Please please please...........

Thank you very much for reading this,
Crying Loud

well, I do not know what is\not accepted in ottawa as this is very much case-by-case.
but you need to take the paystubs;letter from your company verifying your current employment and their wish to continue it after you re-enter; financial or other documents verifying the existence of the company.
you can also call nvars.com customer service and ask them this question specifically.
Crying Loud said:
I have recently joined a software company on August 15 on H1B. I have to visit India in the month of October, 2005 and so I have booked appointment in August itself for H1B stamping on October 4, 2005 at the U.S. Consulate in Ottawa.

You must be aware that desi software consulting companies withhold payment for the first two weeks from when you start working for them. I am in New York right now and my company is in California. My company mailed me yesterday via overnight delivery couple of pay stubs dated September 15, 2005 and September 30, 2005 and I am supposed to receive them today by 10:30 a.m today. I also planned to go to Canadian consulate in New York in person tomorrow for Temporary Resident Visa. As I did not receive package until 11:00 a.m. today, I called FEDEX and it says that the package was delivered at 10:10 a.m today. I lost those pay stubs in mail and when I called FEDEX they said that the sender did not opt for delivery/signature confirmation, the driver actually delivered the package and they do not owe any responsibility.

Now, I have two working days left to obtain Temporary Resident Visa at Canadian Consulate and go for stamping. I have already booked my flight tickets to fly to Canada on September 3 (my interview is on September 4) and hotel in Ottawa.

My company told me that it is not possible to generate original pay stubs but can send me the printouts of paystubs. My questions are:

Does Canadian Consulate in New York accept printouts of pay stubs to issue Temporary Resident Visa. I can also show them bank statements as proof of funds. I have all other documents available with me and if need arises I can produce everything else in originals.

Does U.S. consulate in Ottawa accept printouts of pay stubs as I lost my pay stubs in mail and cannot produce them in original?

I am crying, crying, and loudly crying, please help me.

Please please please...........

Thank you very much for reading this,
Crying Loud

tusharvk said:
well, I do not know what is\not accepted in ottawa as this is very much case-by-case.
but you need to take the paystubs;letter from your company verifying your current employment and their wish to continue it after you re-enter; financial or other documents verifying the existence of the company.
you can also call nvars.com customer service and ask them this question specifically.
Thanks Tushar.

pakistani national H1 visa renewal

hi all,
i think my experience might help others so i m writing it down.
my husband and i came to toronto canada on sep, 6th 2005.
we had our interview appointment on sep, 7... 9:00 am.
we both are pakistani nationals
my husband came to US from pakistan in 1999 on a student visa. He did his masters and then got a job in Houston. He is a mechanical enigineer.
we got married in 2002 and got our first H1 stamped from islamabad, pakistan.
it took about 2 months to get the visa in pakistan at that time.
now we came to canada. my husbands office arranged everything for us. the visa appointment....paper work etc etc
the interview went smooth.
the visa officer said everything looks perfect BUT...we will have to run a background check on you.
and it will take 2-3 weeks to do that.
we asked her y?
and she told us...that my husband's name is one of those names...that r common (arabic names) ...thats y
my husbands company lawyer assured us before we came here that our case wont take more then 1-2 days...because its our 2nd H1 stamping.
this security check for Pakistanis is stupid....nobody would come to renew his/her visa if he/she is involved in some thing bad....
they didnt even care that we have a 2 year old son with us.
today was wednesday...its been 3 weeks...and we havent got any reply...
we are really worried at the moment as we have our appartment + car and all the other stuff in US.... then my husbands job is at risk too....and we r stuck here in a hotel room..
dont know what to do.
does anyone has a recent experience like us....so we could get an idea...exactly how long does this security clearence thing take?
plz pray for us... and be careful everyone.
bbye

Name: Quratulain Khan

Dont worry

I had kinda similar experience a month ago, but mine interview was in Ottawa and we (me and my wife) got clearance in 2 days. One friend (unmarried, F1->H1) of mine also got his clearance in 2 days and he went Ottawa too.
I am also a Pakistani national so I'd say just pray and hang in there.

Faraz

thanks

hi faraz,
thanks for telling me about your experience...i wish we could be that lucky...
i called the embassy today....its been more then 3 weeks now....no response yet....we r trying our best to be patient...but its getting really hard now....plz pray....
thanks again

Experience at Vancouver Canada US consulate

1. Canadian visa: go without any appointment, arrive early. Cash only. Same day visa gets returned. Multiple entry is USD 130 OR Canadian $150. You pay half of that for single entry

2. Drove to Vancouver on night before interview, border personnel asked
- what I was there for
- asked me to show my invitation letter from US consul
- Asked how long I would be in canada (to which I answered that it could take as less as 1 day up to a month -- if they decide to do a background check on me). She stamped for 6 months.

3. Stayed at Days Inn (as mentioned below - 3 miles from consul). Paid CAD 173 with taxes (taxes were ~ CAD $30!!) for 2 nights. If you end up spending more than $200 before taxes, you can claim refund under certain circumstances. Check online for details

4. My appointment time was 9:00 am. Reached at 7:45am. Was 2nd person in the 9:00am line. They make you form different lines for different appointment times. NOTE THESE POINTS:
--- absolutely no bags allowed. Simply carry your file in hand - NOT even in a small bag. They will not let you in.
--- No sealed envelopes. Not even sealed 'official' transcripts. They will throw you out and you will be put to the end of the line.
--- Obviously,- No cell phones, pagers, recording devices etc etc (The invitation letter states this clearly. Does not state the above 2 points).

5. Security - at the bottom goes through your files looking for any sealed envelopes, looks at your invitation letter and asks to keep $100 ready.

6. After security you go up, the lady at the window (who looks bored to death and ignores any greetings) will take your
--- Passport
--- I-797 A (I had taken just the bottom part, she asked for the upper portion thats typically retained by the employer - I told her so, and she asked for the photocopy of that. Luckily I had that)
--- $100
--- Employment letter from the company.

7. They give you a token and ask you to wait in a waiting room.
8. After a while, they take you to the 20th floor based on your token number
9. Again a security check and wait in the lobby where you can easily overhear the interviews taking place. Helps you mentally prepare your answers.
10. A person on window 1 will call your number and take fingerprints of both index fingers, and then ask you to wait.
11. The interviewer will call out your number, heres what he asked me (I got a quite gentle looking friendly and chatty interviewer):
--- What does your company do, and what do you do for them?
--- How long have you been with them?
--- Show me your transcripts, "Q. hmm you went to XYZ University?" ... "A. Yes" ....
--- Can I see your EAD card? (This is the card you get while on OPT, post Masters)
--- Can I see your pay stubs? I handed him all the pay stubs for '05
--- Go to the Cashier and pay $50 (for which they take credit cards as well as cash).
--- Take the receipt and go to counter 1 again. He will give you a piece of paper that tells you what time to collect the passport. It was 3:00 pm for me (same day).

Note that ANYONE can collect the passport on your behalf as long as they produce this paper. So keep it carefully or if you want, you can have someone you trust pick up the passport for you.

I had taken the following documents based on a list I found on some forum online (I know its an overkill, but no taking chances):

1. App SubBunch (You could use Gemclip for each of these sub bunches)
a. Your DS156 App (filled online) with your photograph affixed
b. Your DS157 App (filled by hand)
c. Your Original I797 approval notice
d. $100 US Currency bill
e. All of the above kept inside your passport
2. App SubBunch (for Spouse)
a. DS156 App (filled online) with spouse photograph affixed
b. Original I797 approval notice if one available for H4. Otherwise, Copy of Primary Applicant's I797 approval notice.
c. $100 US currency bill
d. all of the above kept inside your spouse's passport.

<< Add More of #2 for each dependent >>

3. Company Letter Sub Bunch
a. Company Letter introducing you and family and work description, salary details etc.
b. Verification of Employment stating start date, salary, year to date earnings, title etc.
4. Copy of the I-129 H1 Submission packet including Labor Condition Application etc.
5. Copy of all pay stubs for the year 2005
6. Copy of all years' W2 and first two pages of the 1040 tax filing
7. Copies of most recent bank statements
8. Copy of Marriage Certificate and birth certificates for all.
9. Employment Authorization Card (EAD Card) -- you get this if you have a Masters degree / Phd from the US and if you have opted for OPT (Optional Practical Training) after your MS.

Vault Package:
1. The Original Copy of the I129 packet you got from your lawyer
2. Complete tax filings and W2 for all years
3. Degree Certificate and Transcripts - including your dependents
4. Social Security Cards
5. Original Marriage Certificate and Birth Certificates for all.
6. Marriage Invitations and some photographs
7. Your company badge for identification.
8. Green card receipt from the state (all GC related documentation).

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi...thanks forsharing your experience...we r still stuck in toronto...we got latest info...that for pakistani national...the average time for security check is 6 weeks....if u get it done before that...u r the lucky one...if not....:(:(:(.....ofcourse the unlucky ones....
whats is your nationality.....pakistan?
and it also depends on your name....if you dont have a common name....u wont get stuck for the security check....the names that are dear to us...for example.. Mohammad....are not ok for the US embassy ppl...
so....what shall we do?.....change our names now for this US visa?....lolz
plz tell me if you have anyone who is in the same situation like us.....

qanne_22 said:
hi...thanks forsharing your experience...we r still stuck in toronto...we got latest info...that for pakistani national...the average time for security check is 6 weeks....if u get it done before that...u r the lucky one...if not....:(:(:(.....ofcourse the unlucky ones....
whats is your nationality.....pakistan?
and it also depends on your name....if you dont have a common name....u wont get stuck for the security check....the names that are dear to us...for example.. Mohammad....are not ok for the US embassy ppl...
so....what shall we do?.....change our names now for this US visa?....lolz
plz tell me if you have anyone who is in the same situation like us.....

Hi, I am not a Pakistani National but I'm from India. It is true that they are scrutinizing common names, however that is not restricted to just Pakistani nationals. I have a friend who went to Mumbai, India consulate for stamping who has a very common name. He is stuck there since 4 weeks now. But that is his hometown and his job allows him to work remotely, so thats the only saving grace, but still he is stuck and frustrated.

I wish you very good luck - hang in there, your nightmare will end eventually.

H1B stamping in 7th year

I am in my 7th year and planning to visit India. It has been a mere luck to get visa stamped in consulates once we go out of US.
Is there a way to ask US Government to start the visa stamping in US it self just like the St Louis center which we used to have previously?

Thanks for your time.

First Time H1 Stamping

Hi all,

Me and my husband are planning to go to Canada for my first time visa stamping and his visa renewal.My Status is as follows-

I am an MS from India from a subject different than computers ...but I worked there
for 2 and half years in software.I came to USA on H4 in Feb 2003 .My H1 was done in
Aug2004.I am working in Software since Jan 2005.Since then This is my 2nd company.(I had to change
my company who did my H1 due to unavoidable circumstances.).

Please suggest me about

1.Which documents should I certainly have with me.
2.What are the possible risks
3.Do I need my previous employer's letter too
4.Do they see all the paystubs or just 2 paystubs with the current employer.
5.Which one do you think will be the best consulate for us.

I will be truely thankful for Any other valuable suggestion

Garvin.

no slot available in nvars.com?

Hi, I tried to book an interview in Canada through nvars.com, and there is no any slot available in any consulates in coming months(Oct, Nov, Dec)? Is this possible, or I did something wrong? Will calling that 900 number help? Any opinion or suggestion is appreciated!

jyx said:
Hi, I tried to book an interview in Canada through nvars.com, and there is no any slot available in any consulates in coming months(Oct, Nov, Dec)? Is this possible, or I did something wrong? Will calling that 900 number help? Any opinion or suggestion is appreciated!

Its is very difficult to get dates. They open up a few dates every morning at 7AM EST, and they are gone in no time. You should enter your real passport details, get a reference number and use that reference number when you are checking for dates (at 7 AM).

garvin said:
Hi all,

Me and my husband are planning to go to Canada for my first time visa stamping and his visa renewal.My Status is as follows-

I am an MS from India from a subject different than computers ...but I worked there
for 2 and half years in software.I came to USA on H4 in Feb 2003 .My H1 was done in
Aug2004.I am working in Software since Jan 2005.Since then This is my 2nd company.(I had to change
my company who did my H1 due to unavoidable circumstances.).

Please suggest me about

1.Which documents should I certainly have with me.
2.What are the possible risks
3.Do I need my previous employer's letter too
4.Do they see all the paystubs or just 2 paystubs with the current employer.
5.Which one do you think will be the best consulate for us.

I will be truely thankful for Any other valuable suggestion

Garvin.

Please see my previous post for documents that I took. The interviewer asked for my pay stubs [didnt specify how many] so I handed him all my pay stubs for '05. He went thorugh all of them.

It is risky if you have a common name [ I hate to say this] and / or you are from an Islamic country. I know at least 2 people who have been stuck at Mumbai consul as well as the recent post from the Pakistani family who is stuck in Toronto. That said, ALL the people who I was with, got thier stamping done successfully without any issues, and our passports were handed back on the same day [this was in Vancouver B.C -- can be different at different places].

Last edited by a moderator: