H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

desrman said:
Hi guys,
I am going to Vancouver next week for H1B Visa stamping, i have Malaysian transit Visa in my passport. Is Transit Visa something i should disclose on DS 157 in countries entered? Also will this cause a security check. Pls Advise
You do not have to specify Transit visas on DS157. Specify only those countries you visited and stayed at least for one full day, but not during transit.

I have an appointment in Ottawa on 31st of october. I have been in US from 1999. Already done 2 revalidation stamping in US. Driving from norther virginia to ottawa with my family. Will update this thread after the interview.

GCOnly said:
You do not have to specify Transit visas on DS157. Specify only those countries you visited and stayed at least for one full day, but not during transit.

Thanks GCOnly, I just called my HR and also the US Consulate in Vancouver both of them have asked me to list the visit and mention that it was for just a few hours either in the form or during the interview.

If anyone faced any issues for listing Visitor or Transit visas to the 26 countries blacklisted by US in DS157 pls let me know. My country of citizenship is India.

I will post my experience after the interview hopefully from US ;)

HI Stamping

Hi,
I have an appointment for H1 stamping in Toronto on 12/1/05.This is my 3rd stamping from diff. company.First was stamped in india and second in US.DO u think I will have any trouble.In case it is not stamped and my stamped visa is valid can I come back into the US.Will they cancel my current valid visa which expires on 12/06/05.My degrees are from India.

H1B visa stamping in Canada, Ottawa

We did our H1B/H4 stamping in Ottawa on Aug 24th without any problem.
I already had 2 visa stamping in my passport(One in India and the other in US(ST.LUOIS) by mail.
Make note that they will issue your passport with visa next day.
EXPERIENCE IN DETAIL:
Applied thru amcits.com for appointment.
Do not forget to fill the DS156 (and DS158) forms online at nvars.com and take a print of this form itself. It will generate a barcode. This can be used by the officer to view it online as well iff needed.
I took all possible documents : DS156, All Sal Slips, IT Returns, Bank Statements, Ties in India (Just in case of emergency, if you can get these docs as a safe side only, not must like any property on your name etc), Passport, Canada entry docs (tourist Visa), ALL LCA's.
At 8am was my appt, they allowed me into the Embassy at sharp 7:45 am.
Please do not carry any bags, purses. Just carry a "transparent" plastic bag which has all ur docs, NO CELL. They made people dispose them off and do not take care of our belongings while we r being interviewed.
First had to pay the $100 USD non re-fundable fee at one counter.They took the DS156 form, passport and the H1 document.
Within 20 mins we were called to another window for the interview. Lady officer she was very polite and she asked for the present employer letter. She told me to come next day at 3pm to collect the passports.
Came back at 3:15 on 25st August. Took the Passport. Had to show ID(embassy will issue a receipt which needs to be saved and shown to the security to collect the passport) will as the passport was given at a small security man's booth outside the Embassy.
Please be truthful. Dont manipulate ur answers. Have all documentation even iff u think or they have mentioned that it is not needed. Take morning appointments as the officers dont generally start spoiling ur day :)
OTTATWA RULE : From 20th June 2005, ALL passports for the approved visas will be made available for pick up the next day of your interview. So, please plan accordingly. Its better to come a day before and return 2 days after ur interview. Not sure whether any rules changed recently, please read present rules at amcits.com.
For Toronto , u need to deposit $100 USD as visa fee to Bank of Scotia and show the receipt at the Embassy. Only then will u be taken inside. So, if stamping in Toronto go a day earlier as the Bank is open between 10 am and 4 pm EST only.

GOOD LUCK FOR YOUR STAMPINGS !

Sridhar Hari said:
We did our H1B/H4 stamping in Ottawa on Aug 24th without any problem.
I already had 2 visa stamping in my passport(One in India and the other in US(ST.LUOIS) by mail.
Make note that they will issue your passport with visa next day.
EXPERIENCE IN DETAIL:
Applied thru amcits.com for appointment.
Do not forget to fill the DS156 (and DS158) forms online at nvars.com and take a print of this form itself. It will generate a barcode. This can be used by the officer to view it online as well iff needed.
I took all possible documents : DS156, All Sal Slips, IT Returns, Bank Statements, Ties in India (Just in case of emergency, if you can get these docs as a safe side only, not must like any property on your name etc), Passport, Canada entry docs (tourist Visa), ALL LCA's.
At 8am was my appt, they allowed me into the Embassy at sharp 7:45 am.
Please do not carry any bags, purses. Just carry a "transparent" plastic bag which has all ur docs, NO CELL. They made people dispose them off and do not take care of our belongings while we r being interviewed.
First had to pay the $100 USD non re-fundable fee at one counter.They took the DS156 form, passport and the H1 document.
Within 20 mins we were called to another window for the interview. Lady officer she was very polite and she asked for the present employer letter. She told me to come next day at 3pm to collect the passports.
Came back at 3:15 on 25st August. Took the Passport. Had to show ID(embassy will issue a receipt which needs to be saved and shown to the security to collect the passport) will as the passport was given at a small security man's booth outside the Embassy.
Please be truthful. Dont manipulate ur answers. Have all documentation even iff u think or they have mentioned that it is not needed. Take morning appointments as the officers dont generally start spoiling ur day :)
OTTATWA RULE : From 20th June 2005, ALL passports for the approved visas will be made available for pick up the next day of your interview. So, please plan accordingly. Its better to come a day before and return 2 days after ur interview. Not sure whether any rules changed recently, please read present rules at amcits.com.
For Toronto , u need to deposit $100 USD as visa fee to Bank of Scotia and show the receipt at the Embassy. Only then will u be taken inside. So, if stamping in Toronto go a day earlier as the Bank is open between 10 am and 4 pm EST only.

GOOD LUCK FOR YOUR STAMPINGS !

Hi Sridhar

I have a question for you. I will be going to Ottawa on Oct 31st for my H1B stamping. Is it neccessary for me to fill DS158. The reason I am asking you this is because when I went to Nvars.com website it says that DS158 is mandatory for all those applying for any student visa such as F1, J1 and M1.

Please let me know.

Thanks

DS158 is not required for H1 stamping, i recd a hard copy from Ottawa, embassy after my appt is confirmed, i just carried the hard copy without filling it up, just for the safe side in case.
Of course they have not requested to submit for DS158.

All the best

Sridhar Hari said:
DS158 is not required for H1 stamping, i recd a hard copy from Ottawa, embassy after my appt is confirmed, i just carried the hard copy without filling it up, just for the safe side in case.
Of course they have not requested to submit for DS158.

All the best

Thanks a lot Sridhar.

My visa had been cancelled when I applied for revalidation in US before it finished. Therefore no visa but status valid until DEc 02006. Worst case, if one goes for a visa in Canada and it is not given or put under administrative processing or name check, can you still enter US or no? Or wait until visa is given?

qanne_22 said:
hi.
plz read my other posts..u will have to click on my name to read all of them.
our experience in toronto....we r still here...its been 4 weeks today...and we havent recieved any answer for our security check thing. and they didnt ask us many questions...just what do u do?. how long have u been in US?. and then the lady said....i have a good news nad a bad news....good news is that ur case looks perfect..u wont have any problem getting the visa....but the bad news is that your name is so common we will have to run a check on it...and it will take 2-3 weeks to do that. but its been 4 weeks already....no answer yet.
plz read my posts for details.
good luck and pray for us.

qanne2: So u cannot enter US until the name check comes back? Or are you back in US?

Valid dates of visa stamp?

I've went through quite a lot posts here, never seen anyone mentioned about the valid date of the visa stamp, is it usually 3 months? Or equivalent to your H1 visa date? Or, I've heard people who have their Canadian PR got their visa good for 3 or even 10 years, but I am not sure if they talked about the same type of visa stamp as we do here. Can anyone explain this to me? Thanks!

Carefree said:
I've went through quite a lot posts here, never seen anyone mentioned about the valid date of the visa stamp, is it usually 3 months? Or equivalent to your H1 visa date? Or, I've heard people who have their Canadian PR got their visa good for 3 or even 10 years, but I am not sure if they talked about the same type of visa stamp as we do here. Can anyone explain this to me? Thanks!
The duration of H1B visa is always based on your approved I797 petition. Whatever date the I797 expires, your visa expires that date.

GCOnly,

Thank you for your answer and clarification!

The duration of H1B visa is always based on your approved I797 petition. Whatever date the I797 expires, your visa expires that date.

When can receive the Appointment letter?

Hi, everyone,
Does anybody know how long it would take from the date you made the appointment online to the date you receive the appointment letter? I have made my appointment from narvs.com on Oct 5 for H 1 interview in Ottawa on Dec 1. But till now I still haven’t received any letter yet. I’m worried about it, since I have to have the appointment letter to get into the embassy. Could anyone tell me what to do. I really appreciate it.

JYW

JYW2004 said:
Hi, everyone,
Does anybody know how long it would take from the date you made the appointment online to the date you receive the appointment letter? I have made my appointment from narvs.com on Oct 5 for H 1 interview in Ottawa on Dec 1. But till now I still haven’t received any letter yet. I’m worried about it, since I have to have the appointment letter to get into the embassy. Could anyone tell me what to do. I really appreciate it.

JYW
You can get the printout online as well if you want using nvars.com.

Hi guys

Wanted to update my situation. Came to canada today by road. No problem at the border, no questions asked. I have interview on monday at 10 in ottawa.

Will keep you posted.

maliklongwait,
Thank you so much for telling me this, but seems I couldn't find out the link to pull out the appointment letter. Would you please tell me how. I really appreciate it.
JYW

maliklongwait said:
You can get the printout online as well if you want using nvars.com.

H1-B Stamping in Islamabad

Has anyone recently gotten their H1-B stamped in Islamabad? Can you please share your experience with me specifically in the area of timing and of there anything that can be done to follow up/expedite the process?

nvars.com not working

Does anyone has been able to use nvars.com in last 2-3 days. I am trying to fill and print out ds-156 online but the website does not seem to open. Can i fill the form without going to nvars.com. I got this link from one post. Is it ok to fill directly from US Gov website without going through nvars.com

https://evisaforms.state.gov/ds156.asp?lang=1

Also I am going to Canadian Embassy on Tuesday for getting Canada Visa. Anyone who appeared in person at NYC embassy to get Canadian visa? I believe that you can get the passport back on same day.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Guidance for H1B Stamping in Canada

Hello immiadvice,

Thanks for noting a valuable explanation.

Here is what I would like to understand. I would be obliged to receive your guidance.

I am a F1 student at University of cincinnati. I havent finished my Masters, but I have started working in german firm nearby. I am working on my OPT and I have my H1B visa approved which has a starting date of December 22, 2005.

I am planning to go to India in Feb.06. I am not getting any visa appointment in the month of february in the Mumbai Consulate. hence I have decided to go to canada to get the visa stamped.

What are the chance sof the Visa being approved there and what all documents do I need? How long in advance should I apply to get the appointment in canada?

Kindly reply,

akki

Last edited by a moderator: