From Jan.2002, police certificates from India are required..

No Title

Form is available in the web.

Go to our Indian Embassy in US web site
Click on Misc services.
Down load that form , that is the form you need to apply for Indian PCC

MJ1 and others...

I\'m little confused here. When I called the mumbai consulate, the operator told me that "I donot need one from India but I need one from US". Seeeing MJs latest message, I\'m confused that whether she is saying that "since I live in US I need to obtain PCC from Indian Consulate here"? I believe if they\'re referring to PCC from India, I\'m sure that will take long time.

PCC from Indian Consualte - MJ1 and others

If your passport has been issued by consulate here in US, then PCC will only take 1-2 days, is what I have been told.

gabbar007....

that\'s some good news to me. My passport has been issued at the Indian Consuate, New York. If that is the case, I will be ok but my wife\'s passport has been issued in India. Will it be possible for me to go to the interview first and then she takes the interview separately?
thanks

gabbar007

But my passport was not issued here in the US.
It was issued by the Mumbai passport office and it expires in Sept 2002, which is more than six months after the interview.
The question is - Is a PCC from a local police station in India sufficient?
What scares me is the way in which we get treated in India. We may go to the consulate and try to argue that we were not informed but they won\'t listen. We get treated like animals and no amount of pleading will help.
As far getting a PCC from Indian consulate goes, thats a foregone conclusion, since I have requested a 1st week interview. My only chance is if a PCC from a local police station will work.
MJ1

How come Chennai said no to PCC yesterday?

There is so much confusion. Yesterday I called Chennai consulate and a lady officer answered my questions. I clearly mentioned my case is employment based and I lived only in India and US and do I require to get a PCC from any where and if there are any changes in rules. She clearly said no, I do not have to submit any PCC. Why is all this inconsistency? Any one from Chennai did any inquiry? Your notes will be appreciated.

THanks.

Santhu did you mention that your interview will be after Jan 2002

The rules change after Jan 2002 if they change at all.

do we need from local police station too?

Hi
If I can get a PCC from Indian Consulate in US, do I still need a PCC from local police station too?
thanks

This is ridiculous.

This is all so confusing.
Santhu can you post the time etc. when you made the call. Do you remember the name of the lady you spoke with?
I am asking for reference purposes only. Hope you dont mind.

Analysis. Looks like Mumbai, Delhi require it and chennai does not.

So much for consistency. Typical desi style...

It seems the web site for Passports in Delhi India also states PCC will take 45 days to issue and needs original passport to be deposited. Original passport depositing in Indiaa - Kabhi Nahin.. Umight as well as settle down in India. If it gets misplaced u are screwed.

That is too hard to believe.

I do not think they can get away with that. I am more inclined to believe that the people answering the phones are not clear themselves. So we cannot say one way or the other.

MJ1 Better get new Passport even if PCC is required or not.

MJ,

For Green Card stamping you should have passport with atleast 6months or 1 year validity ( I am not sure about the exact period). Mine was expiring in July 2002 and so I got new passport issued by Indian Consulate, Chicago with validity of 10 years. It hardly took 1 week to get me new passport. You have to deposit your current passport for that period of time (1 week).

You are all wasting your time on PCC

C \' mon guys .. they have to be unrealistic to expect us to get
the PC for a Jan interview on such short notice.
We have nt even been informed yet officialy .

so , lets drop it for now , unitl we hear this from an official source.

PCC

Well when you file OF-169 form it does not include India in the list of places where one cannot obtain PCC...so in other terms you or we are informed that we had to get one ....

It has been a practise not to get one as itwas not asked

email from consulate in Chennai

Guys - Chennai doesn\'t need PCC.

From India - no police cl required.

Customer Service Unit
American Consulate General
220, Anna Salai
Chennai 600006
Ph-91-44-8112060/2000

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2001 11:24 AM
To: ChennaiIV@state.gov
Subject: Immigraton visa - police clearance certificate from India

Dear Officer,
My case number is MDR-2001-791-*. I recently got a letter from your
embassy regarding my police clearance certificate from S\'pore. I have
applied for police clearance certificate from S\'pore. This is fine. But I
have a few other questions.
Is a police clearance certificate required for me from India? My spouse who is
my dependant will be immigrating with me. Does she also need a police
clearance certificate from India?
Thanks for your kind attention.
Sincerely,
NAME

Keep on the efforts to obtain PCC

and also keep a look on the Mumbai website after they release the january dates. If still after the release of jan dates they mention that no PCC required for india/us, I think we do not need it.
website is the official and binding communication of consulate.

Guys, please take it easy...

I have a strong feeling that the persons calling the US Consulates in India are probably not framing the question regarding requirement of the PCC correctly. It\'s also possible that the person at the Consulate answering these questions (assuming they were framed right) did not understand them correctly or is misinformed.

The Mumbai Consulate web site still maintains that no PCC is required if you have lived only in India or the US. Let\'s not panic and start sending emails to the Consulates or call them frequently, because this might give them an impression that there is in fact a new advisory from the State Department that PCC is required for all cases, whereas there is no such notice either on the Consular web site nor has anyone received any email/letter from the Consulate/State Department requiring PCC from those who have lived only in India and the US.

My cousin is going for his CP in Mumbai in Dec. He said he will check this PCC thing up and let me know. Interim, if any of you\'ll know someone who\'s going for his/her CP sometime soon, please ask them to check for it.

I seriously think this is just some case of misinformation/misinterpretation that has spread around like wild fire, though the person who started it (goingforcp) probably didn\'t mean any harm.

So friends, please take it easy, \'cos getting into a frenzy will not expedite your PCC (if at all it\'s required). Let\'s think of solutions and not create more problems for the Jan 2002 CPers. Thanks.