From Jan.2002, police certificates from India are required..

I firmly believe that PCC is not needed if you have lived

only in US/India. After reviewing my P3, chennai sent me a snail mail at my Indian address informing that I need to obtain PCC from UK(that I have to because I have lived there for more than 6 months). If they wanted PCC from India as well, would they have not mentioned it in the same mail?

To answer your question Ashish, YES your folks can get one for you with photocopies of your passport. Assuming your ration card is form Baroda, and assuming if you were to obtain PCC for canadian immigration, you\'ll need to get it only from Baroda.

Thanks acehart

Thanks acehart.

But still can you tell me whether I have to get PCC from New Bombay and Gandhinagar where I stayed for 4 and 3 yrs respectively ?

My case

Hi acehart,
I was born in Orissa and lived there for 20 years. Then I moved to Chennai for my enginnering after which I came to US. My permanent address in my passport is for Chennai (my uncle stays in chennai). Where do I have to get PCC from? I think my ration card is from Orissa.
Thanks.

PCC for India, Mumbai

I spoke thrice to different operators in Mumbai today and all of them insisted that we require PCC from India as per new rules/requirement. They said we should apply at local Indian Embassy in US for a PCC from the regional passport office and also from the local police station of your place of residence in India. Personally, I am going to call up Chicago and have also asked my folks in India to check up, but am not going to sweat too much if I don\'t manage to get one.

three pieces of information that might be of help to people

a. the immigrant visa instructions document OF-169 clearly describes what a "Police Certificate" means. you have to get a police clearence certificate from each locality you have lived in for atleast 6 months since the age of 16. there is no ambiguity in there.

b. however for India, i think a PCC obtained from the Indian consulate is good enough because it covers your criminal record checks in ALL of India. this is where your lawyer\'s "expertise" comes in.

c. its not that easy to get a PCC from an Indian consulate in the US. Minimum time is 35-45 days. you fill out the app. form, attach copies of your passport, pay $11. then they call you when they receive approval from India. you go there again, show your original passport, and get your certificate. if the Indian authorities take longer, then you have to convince the consulate to give you the certificate anyway in which case add another 10-15 days to the 35-45 days.

Bullu Singh

Yes you are right . the OF 169 does say so clearly about the
PCC .
It does also a list a number of countries where the PCC is
considered unavailable.
India is still ( officially ) one of those .

The US embassy website in bombay also says the same.
If u lived only in Inida or the US , no PCC is reqd.

Have you seen any official document / web site which says polie certs
from India are reqd?

What a mess!

How are we supposed to get a PCC at such short notice? Should the consulate not notify us in some official documentation?
I think its virtually impossible to get a PCC from the Indian consulate in the US since I plan to leave on Dec 26th. The most I can do is get one from the local police station.
If one has lived in the US for the amount of time we have lived and if the consulate does get a background check from the FBI, why do we need to go through this step? Does not make any sense!
Another bump in the long rough ride!!
MJ1

Re:

> It does also a list a number of countries where the PCC is
> considered unavailable.
> India is still ( officially ) one of those .

Which document lists India as unavailable? If you look at the DSL-1083 referenced in OF-169, you will see no mention of India in the "unavailable" list. Unlike the Candian immigration documents which clearly state that they will themselves (and the applicant doesn\'t need to) get police certificates from India.

> Have you seen any official document / web site which says
> police certs from India are reqd?

No. I do know that at one point PCCs from India were mandatory. At the same time I haven\'t seen any official documents that say one is not required. Remember that websites are not official documents & it may be a while before they are updated.

Also, is this a surprise given the attacks that happened on Sept 11th? We should thank our stars if we can get away with a PCC from the Indian consulate and don\'t end up having to get certificates from 8 different police stations in India.

I think the bottomline is that we should start work ASAP on getting the consulate certificate, ask your family/friends in India to get as many local certificates as they can & not wait for any further confirmation. If you get it in time, great! Another potential problem nailed.

wantAgc, Bullu Singh

Do we need to get a PCC from either Indian consulate or local police station in India or both?
Can you shed some light on this?
Thanks
MJ1

I booked my tickets on Dec-25th

Now almost impossible to get PCC from consulate in such short notice. Real mess !

MJ1

I called mumbai consulate last night and I was told we need to get a PCC from US and that will be given at Indian Consulate. Any idea how long this wud take?

45 days?

Hi
45 days to get PCC from Indian Consulate. I don\'t have 45 days before my interview(tentatively scheduled for 1st week of Jan). What do I do? Anybody in the same boat?
thanks

or if....

Or wud it be any faster if we take PCC from local police stations from all the towns we lived in US by ourselves?

VS and others

We want PCCs from Indian authorities in the US, not US authorities from towns you lived in.
The only way I see us getting PCCs is by getting them from local police stations in India. I will be leaving Dec 26th and its impossible to get a PCC from Indian consulate in Chicago in such a short time frame.
But I\'m sure that I can get one from local police station from my home city. Is a PCC from local police station in India sufficient?
Please advise.
MJ1

Where did you find the application

Santhecat,

Where did you find the application for PCC ?
Did the embassy fax you the application or did you download the form from the web???

After reading all the posts

about PCC being required I went back and checked
   the forms/instructions in Pkt3 (from NVC)
   In the supplemental OF169 sheet, in list of countries
   from which PCC is NOT required, INDIA is not included.
   Which means, they can always say that the Pkt 3 instructed us to get
   the PCC from India.

I was hoping the sheet would say we don\'t need one, and we could use that to say we were
   never informed.
   But now things look different don\'t know how to get PCC before Jan.

MJ1 and others...

I\'m little confused here. When I called the mumbai consulate, the operator told me that "I donot need one from India but I need one from US". Seeeing MJs latest message, I\'m confused that whether she is saying that "since I live in US I need to obtain PCC from Indian Consulate here"? I believe if they\'re referring to PCC from India, I\'m sure that will take long time.