FBI Name Check

Dude,

I have contemplated this avenue myself but those things are obsolete my friend. Lawsuits are no longer a mean of expediting name check. Read the wiki page:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/FBI_name_check

Especially, it references a memo from the USCIS dated from February 2007. Maybe someone will prove me wrong, but as far I can see, lawsuits are a dead end nowadays. Let me rectify that, people have debated that you might have a slight chance if the federal judge who sits on the case leans on your side. I also called a lawyer to seek his support but he said he wouldn't do it. This is just a comment and remember that I am not a lawyer so my information might be erroneous. If you feel like doing it, go ahead!

Dude,

I have contemplated this avenue myself but those things are obsolete my friend. Lawsuits are no longer a mean of expediting name check. Read the wiki page:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/FBI_name_check

Especially, it references a memo from the USCIS dated from February 2007. Maybe someone will prove me wrong, but as far I can see, lawsuits are a dead end nowadays. Let me rectify that, people have debated that you might have a slight chance if the federal judge who sits on the case leans on your side. I also called a lawyer to seek his support but he said he wouldn't do it. This is just a comment and remember that I am not a lawyer so my information might be erroneous. If you feel like doing it, go ahead!

You are correct. That memo is posted at my local USCIS office. No longer Mandamus or any type of lawsuit will expedite an FBI Name Check.

My wife has been waiting for NC for almost 2 years. This week, we received two letters:
1. a piece of paper asking her to do another fingerprint. it is not the formal USCIS notice letter.
2. A formal USCIS notice that I-130 has been approved. (we turned in i-130 and i-485 at the same time)

Anybody has any idea?

Did your wife have issues in getting fingerprint done with that piece of paper? May I ask which ASC office did you go to get the fingerprinting done. I have received my fingerprinting notice on a piece of paper too.

Yes, Lawsuits still work. They might have gotten more difficult to fight, but if you are willing to fight, they still work.
My husband was waiting for his citizenship and nothing was happening. He asked his lawyer what to do and was told that there is nothing that can be done (and that some people are waiting much longer than he did). I was very fortunate to have found the thread about lawsuits here on this forum. We filed by ourselves and won.
So it's all up to you - wether you are ready to fight or not.

Folks! can anyone please comment on this. This is a name check thread and I need some help on this topic. I was stuck in the Name check for more than three years for my N-400, so I understand your pain.

The message you posted sounded like you were still waiting for name check clearance, hence my reply. Sorry for the misinformation. This said, I am glad I provoked your verve because your long answer contained lots of useful information. You are very knowledgeable, thanks for sharing your experience!

Ok now, let me file the suit, I'm sure it costs less than paying for advanced parole ;)

Just curious, I didn't understand your question in the first place. It seems like your I-485 was approved but your I-130 is still pending, is that correct?

Noar

ps: just read the piece on dismissal of arguments, very instructive indeed. I am not a pink elephant!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like I am going to get stuck in namecheck as well. I made an InfoPass appt to check on whether my namecheck had cleared (my interview is on 8/22 - wednesday). Unfortunately, she said my namecheck was still pending, and that it was initiated on 6/15/2007. Any advice?

I have travel planned to India on Nov 30th. Is it safe to travel on AP?

hi fellas...i am struck in namecheck since feb 07. I have tried all the avenues regarding speeding this thing up but so far no success. I did wrote letters to Laura bush to expedite it too but got a standard template letter from FBI that it would be processed as quickly as possible. I want to know if theres is anybody else who got the same letter in response to their letter to laura bush and whether the name check got cleared after few months of receiving that standard letter?

Hi, all!
I am stuck on Name Check also. It's pending since February 2006. Somebody on other forum told me i can find lots of information on this forum, thank you.
I was married for 6 years, we have a child together but our marriage doesn't work very good. I have to do something to expidite my Name Check or.... Is it possible to get my green card without him?

Does anybody have a copy of the letter to congressmen and L.Bush? I will be very grateful.

What is involved in the back ground check? I have been told that background checks involve checks in US as well as the counrty of origination. Does it involve credit history, work history (employment), residence history, etc. in US as well as country of origination?

hi fellas...i am struck in namecheck since feb 07. I have tried all the avenues regarding speeding this thing up but so far no success. I did wrote letters to Laura bush to expedite it too but got a standard template letter from FBI that it would be processed as quickly as possible. I want to know if theres is anybody else who got the same letter in response to their letter to laura bush and whether the name check got cleared after few months of receiving that standard letter?

AGC4ME- Did u wrote to Mrs. Bush and got a standard template reply in the mail? I was reading one of your posts and you did mention that over there. i want to know is ur namecheck cleared now? if so, how long did it took after getting the standard letter from FBI? Please respond asap.

Letter from district office

Today I received a 2nd Service request response to my I-485 (pending due to a name check since October 2006). It says:" Based on your request we researched the status of your case. We are actively processing this case. However, we have to perform additional review on this case and this has caused a longer processing time. If you do not receive a decision or other notice of action from us within 6 months of this letter, please call customer service at the number provided..."

Any ideas what does this mean? Is my NC complete? A notice from previous request, received back in May, said that my case is pending due to security checks. I am very anxious to hear from you, guru guys. Case is at NBC, filed from NYC.

Here is my time line:
04/17/06 I-485, I-765 and I-130 filed
06/26/06 I-130 and I-765 approved:D
10/11/2006 Interview approved, GC pending due to NC
05/11/2007 applied for Second EAD
05/14/2007 1st Service request for pending I-485
05/30/2007 Response to 1st Service request (see above)
08/08/2007 EAD Approved
08/14/2007 2nd Service request
08/20/2007 EAD Card received :D
08/21/2007 Response to 2nd Service request (scary, see above):eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Tangus,

This is the new standard response from USCIS. I received the same response via email and letter to my recent enquiry to USCIS customer service. I even called customer service to ask what does this mean and was told the same thing by knowledgeable person (probably IO, who seemed quite irritated that I was calling to ask about this response).

It just means we just have to wait and pray for our names to be cleared in NC. I guuess this response means that now we have to wait 6 months instead of 45 - 60 days before submitting a new enquiry. This really sucks!!

Processing Dates Updated

Well, the DO's processing times were updated last week and the I-485 date is now past my receipt date. Technically, they should have been done with my application by now but obviously that hasn't happened. This is very very frustrating. I've sent two letters to the San Antonio DO and they respond within 3-4 days with the same letter saying "Security Check pending". I'm in the process of contacting Senator Cornyn's office to see if they'll help..judging by other members' experiences here that's not very likely. Is there anything else I can do, short of WoM filing ? Is there any advantage to hire a lawyer now?

NC experience

Folks,

My experiences in retrospect and is a best guess of sequence of events:

My NC was stuck since Dec 2004.
For me, apparently, writing a letter to local office regarding WOM filing helped clear my NC. In Mar 2007, I gave them a 60 day notice before filing the WOM. I never got any official confirmation from local office but I got FP notice by July 07.
Also, I just got a response to my letter i had written to First Lady in June 07.

I never got any welcome emails, any change of status. Though I have a GC stamp on my passport but my online status still states "Processing of this case continues..."

Lots of thanks to all those who have contributed to this forum. Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.

Thanks