EAD/Interim EAD stories

Well I am actually impressed!!

I filed for a renewal of my EAD based on a pending I-485 with the memphis office(case got ransfered to the Lee's Summit center) November 29th. My first card expired January 29th. Today February 3rd I got the approval notice and I am very impressed. It only took them just over 60 days to approve my EAD renewal application. Well, I wrote a letter to Lee's Summit asking if they could expedite my case due to my work stuation...........guess they actually read the letter and dicided to give me a break......

So if you need the EAD in a hurry and did not file before the 90 day expiration date......write them a letter explaining the situation.........what do you have to loose??

I also went by the Memphis office the other day with all the required paperwork to see if they could help me out...........wast of time......90 DAYS. Thats all they said and they couldn't care less about your story.

Got Interim EAD

Just wanted to share my case with you all.

We applied for I-485/EAD/AP on 12/30/2004 and my H1B is expiring on 02/24/2005. I'm the Secondary applicant for the I-485. We took our chances to get the Interim EAD before 90 days, so that i can continue to work.

We went down to the San Jose CIS office with an Infopass appointment scheduled for "questions about our case". The security officer let us in 15mins before our scheduled appointment. We were asked to leave camera phones in the car. Once we got in, the front desk person checked the appointment letter. Initially she said that i could not get my iEAD before 90 days. I just told her that i would loose my job and benefits. She said to present my case to the Immigration officer. I was given a number and our number was called soon.

I went to the counter and asked for an interim EAD. The officer checked my receipts and said that i cannot come in for an interim EAD before 90 days. I said that it's an emergency and i might loose my job/benefits and provided the letter from my HR as proof. He just checked it and asked me to fill the I-765 form and wait for sometime. Then after 5 mins he called me and asked me to sign a document. Then went to the Cashier counter just to submit the form(No fee). After 10-15 mins, the officer called me and authorized the iEAD for 8 months. He advised that i need to wait for atleast 90 days from the next time. I was so releived and was happy to get the iEAD.

I just wanted share this info with others so that it might be useful. I'm not sure whether the same can be reproduced again.

Thanks

My recent experience with MSC

My I-485 has been transferred to Philadelphia quite some time ago. I filed my last EAD application to the Philadelphia offiice and got approved within 45 days. However, this year when it was time for me to renew the EAD, I was told that they no longer will accept the EAD applications locally. After some initial confusion (which caused me to waste some valuable days) I finally filed my application online at the national benefits center (NBC). I filed my application on Dec 8th, got my appoinment for photo and fingerprint set up on Jan 12th and then just waited. It finally got approved on Feb 9th. I have not received the card yet. But it was a big relief for me to see the online message say that it was approved. Especially since my existing EAD was about to expire. I got the new one approved with not time to spare at all. I was very lucky in that sense. But I must say the online application process is really very smooth and I really liked the no hassle system of setting appointments to the local ASC for finger printing and photographs. I think they have made some progress in that direction.

Request for HR letter

gcwait2002 said:
Just wanted to share my case with you all.

We applied for I-485/EAD/AP on 12/30/2004 and my H1B is expiring on 02/24/2005. I'm the Secondary applicant for the I-485. We took our chances to get the Interim EAD before 90 days, so that i can continue to work.

We went down to the San Jose CIS office with an Infopass appointment scheduled for "questions about our case". The security officer let us in 15mins before our scheduled appointment. We were asked to leave camera phones in the car. Once we got in, the front desk person checked the appointment letter. Initially she said that i could not get my iEAD before 90 days. I just told her that i would loose my job and benefits. She said to present my case to the Immigration officer. I was given a number and our number was called soon.

I went to the counter and asked for an interim EAD. The officer checked my receipts and said that i cannot come in for an interim EAD before 90 days. I said that it's an emergency and i might loose my job/benefits and provided the letter from my HR as proof. He just checked it and asked me to fill the I-765 form and wait for sometime. Then after 5 mins he called me and asked me to sign a document. Then went to the Cashier counter just to submit the form(No fee). After 10-15 mins, the officer called me and authorized the iEAD for 8 months. He advised that i need to wait for atleast 90 days from the next time. I was so releived and was happy to get the iEAD.

I just wanted share this info with others so that it might be useful. I'm not sure whether the same can be reproduced again.

Thanks

Hi GCwait,

Sorry to address you with your id. Could you please send me the copy of the HR letter that you submitted to the Immigration officer for IEAD.

my email id is ptl7sb@yahoo.com

Thanks

Interim EAD

Did anybody try to get interim EAD in NYC Federal Plaza, before the 90 days were over?
My husband will loose his job, if he doesn't get, we applied in February 2, but they put March 9 notice date.
Please help with some ideas!

EAD question

I filed my third ead on 9th Feburary. I current ead is expiring on april 8th. I havent gotten to approval for my ead. What will happen to my work status if I continue working after april 8th. Can I walk in to local ins office in kansas city tomorrow as wednesday they have open walkin for people who have applied ead more than 90 days ago. It is not 90 days yet but my 485 case is old with receipt date of nov 4th 2002. I spoke to a rep in vermont service center and they told me that they have issued an RFE on the case but hasnt mailed it out. It will take some days before I will receive the typed RFE! but my online message still says the same that "we received you request blah blah". Can any one please help me on this. My 485 was filed with vermont service center.

you cannot walk in until about 9 May

Hi Deewana,

I have tried this when my EAD was about to expire and new EAD had not arrived yet. Sorry to say, but they did not let me in. They were firm about the 90 day period. To avoid such problems, what woudl be ideal for you was to apply on or before 8 january. But now its too late.

In you case, you could continue working after 8 April. And to be safe legally, don't take salary till new EAD comes. Once new EAD comes, take the salary as a bonus or something. This will totally depend on how co-operative your employer is.

Above is just a suggestion. Be your own best judge and make the right decision.

Other less attractive solution would be that you stop working till new EAD comes.

I am going to try tomorrow! wish me luch

ksnm,
Thanks for you reply, I am going to try it with the local office. lets see what happen. What happened in your case, I mean what did you do after you ead expired?

All the Best

dewaana911 said:
ksnm,
Thanks for you reply, I am going to try it with the local office. lets see what happen. What happened in your case, I mean what did you do after you ead expired?

We wish you good Luck.

Please do not forget to post you experience.

Also let us know which state you are in and which local center did you visit.

Thanks

dewaana911 said:
ksnm,
Were you able to get IEAD. I am in the similar boat. My EAD RD is Feb 9 and my EAD will expire on April 26.

Hi Gurus

Can u answer my query:

I am working for Company "A" on L1 visa.
My GC is in process with Company "B" with a Sub Labor under EB3 category, future employment.

Details are:
I140/485, EAD, AP - ND 1/12/2005
FP done - 3/4/2005
No status change on EAD,AP

Now I am eligible for temp EAD, if I get EAD and AP. Is it safe to travel to India and come back on AP ??? any risks/issues do you foresee. My plan is to resign with Company "A" (in India) and come join with my new employer who is processing GC. Any advise / suggestions are appreciable.

thanks in advance

Question on EAD/AP

medurisu said:
Hi Gurus

Can u answer my query:

I am working for Company "A" on L1 visa.
My GC is in process with Company "B" with a Sub Labor under EB3 category, future employment.

Details are:
I140/485, EAD, AP - ND 1/12/2005
FP done - 3/4/2005
No status change on EAD,AP

Now I am eligible for temp EAD, if I get EAD and AP. Is it safe to travel to India and come back on AP ??? any risks/issues do you foresee. My plan is to resign with Company "A" (in India) and come join with my new employer who is processing GC. Any advise / suggestions are appreciable.

thanks in advance

IEAD experience at Newark, NJ on 04/22/2005

Myself and my wife applied for EAD on 12/13/2004. I got approved in a week but she did not get approval. So, We took the appointment at Newark, NJ at 7:45 AM on 04/22/2005.

We reached 970 Broad St, Newark ,NJ at 5 AM. No one was there and waited outside of the builing. People started coming after 6:15 AM. By 7:30 AM there were around 40-50 people around.

We were the first one to go into the building. They started allowing at 7:30 AM and went inside and waited 2 min at the security and went 3rd floor. At the 3rd floor they asked appointment letter and ID (Driving license) and directed to where we supposed to go.

At the counter she asked appointment letter (Infopass) + Employment authorization receipt notice (90 days older). She gave token number i.e., (E001) (E means EAD) and asked us to go counters 21-25 area. (i.e., EAD waiting room)

At 8:05 AM another lady called us and asked token number + Appointment Letter + Receipt Notice and asked us to wait....

After 30-40 min (around 8:45 AM) one old guy called on Token number and said it was denied due to no pending 485 application. When we showed pending 485 receipt notices then he asked us to wait and went inside.

At 9:10 AM one lady came out and called on Last name and asked my wife to come inside for photo and mentioned EAD got approved.

At 9:20 AM we were given IEAD card and out of the building by 9:30 AM.

-------------------------

It was total of 4.5 hrs IEAD journey finally went cool.

We should't have to go at 5 AM. But somebody mentioned recently...they went at 5 AM and there were about 20 people already. So, we went there at 5 AM. Actually when we spoke to the security guard he mentioned line starts at 6 or 6:30 AM.

So, who wants to for IEAD at Newark, NJ please go around 6:30 AM that is fairly enough time to get IEAD faster.

Interim EAD at Boston

It was ~92 days since I applied at VSC and so decided to go to Boston for interim EAD.

Came at 6:20AM at entrance. 10 Guys ahead of us and by 7AM 20 guys behind us. Were promptly let in by guard at 7 AM. Was issued a ticket number after standing in line for a brief period. Then waited till 11:30 AM to get my 5 min at the counter. Officer was courteous and simply asked us for the relevant forms. He then gave the approval form to drop off with the person who makes the EAD card who took about 30 min to issue the card.

All in all, the staff is nice but they take time. It is better to take the online appointment which can cut down the wait time by half.

Question...

Hey,

I feel like a fool having to ask this, but I must..
Does one need both a Green Card and an Advance parole to travel out side of the U.S?

I am currently waiting for my Name check to be completed (ever since our interview back in Oct.2004) There's some confusion there as the INS claims my name check is not completed while the FBI said it is...

Anywho, In the mean time I had a family thing I have to go to back home, and applied for an advance parole (Receipt date Mar 21, 2005) but am pretty sure it will not be granted as my status before I got married was Illegal..

Is there anyone here with a similar background, who applied for the Advance parole and was granted one..? IF so, were you able to exit & enter the U.S safely? and did you need to show a Green Card as well..?

Again, Sorry for all the dumb questions.. I feel lost & confused, and have no clue what the rules & regulation really are!

Help me..?

RKM

HR Letter for Interim EAD

Does anyone has sample HR letter stating "...in accordance to immigration regulations, we will have to terminate XXX's employment if he does not maintain work authorization....Please renew his EAD to continue working....."
Here is the issue,
I have e-filed for renewal of 4th EAD on Apr 1st 2005 at TSC .I could finish the transaction successfully but could not print conf notice or note down the reciept number.I called BCIS and lady adviced me to wait for I797 or call after one month to get Receipt number.I called them again after one month and have receipt number(I surprised to know because it starts from MSC instead of SRC. Is it Ok?) .My current EAD will be expired on Jun 21st 2005.As date difference is less than 91 days so I can not go for Interim EAD to local office .

I have gone through this thread and realized that I have one option to get iEAD before it expire and continue my job ,that is to produce letter from employer and related docs.

I would be appreciated if someone can post sample HR letter.
Also please suggest me if anyone has some other idea to solve this issue.

EAD : Apr 1, 2005
I485 : Apr 14, 2002

Thanks

Don't stress too much about it. I did a walk-in prior to the 90 days and got the interim card without any problem. There were a bunch of other people in similar situation and they all got through.

As for a sample letter - just put something together that makes sense. In most cases officers will be cooperative. Good luck!

re:

As far as i know , you can get a interim EAD if ur application is pending for more than 90 days , not if ur EAD is expring and not more than 90 days are left (which seems to be ur case).
however there r always exceptions.

I went to local office today just to talk to an officer with infopass appointment letter and they let me in .
Officer was very nice , he checked EAD case status on his computer and said this case is already approved but service center is waiting for ur Finger print and after that they will release your card .He said I can not give any teno EAD then I requested him if he could give me an appointment before expiring my EAD and he gave me on same day.
I got my FP done and will receive card within 10 days( As per officer).

Atleast I have no fear now to work illegally or take leaves without pay after expiration .

Thanks