• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV2008--AOS only

Don't be pessimistic. My name is a very common one too, but cleared in one month this time.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I will get my interview appointment???

On Dec 15th we went to the application support center to take our fingerprints...since then, we haven't received anything. I has been reading all the posts of this forum and some cases are almost ready (the interviews appointments were very close to the fingerprints appointments). I think my case is delayed because of the holidays... I hope so...!

Useful links, thank you.

Orlando and advwinner - I found these links re namechecks from an old thread on this forum that explains the name check procedure - most cases clear within 2-4 days because nothing comes up in an electronic matching, but when a match comes up, then a "manual check" is done, and another chunk of names are cleared in that (around 60 days), that leaves a small amount of names that need further investigation. I suppose my husband's very common name is going to mean he is in that last batch which really sucks :-(

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/nationalnamecheck.htm

http://www.fbi.gov/page2/nationalnamecheck.htm

Personally I'd send it by courier on 30th or 31st if open then you can more easily track its arrival (dont forget it's a different address depending on whether you send it usps or by courier).

Thanks orlandovillas,
I sent my package (a rather heavy one, had to us a box :)) on Monday, Dec 31st, via Fedex express. I used the address:

USCIS
Attn: FBASI
427 S. LaSalle - 3rd Floor
Chicago, IL 60605-1029

Has to arrive today by 10:30am.
Cheers
Nebo

Hello everyone,

Just checked the Fedex tracking....They attempted to deliver at 10:15am but failed ("Delivery exception")....Then they tried again at 11:15am and they delivered it....The only problem that I see with this, is that it says :

"Delivered to :
Receptionist/Front Desk "

and

"Signed for by:
J.CHYBA "

Is this normal? I though it was supposed to be a Lockbox, not a Reception or Font Desk....And who is J.CHYBA? Does anyone know what is going on?
Orlandovillas, you sent it with FEDEX as well, what did it say for your package?
A bit worried.....Thanks for your help.

Cheers
Nebo

My checks were not cashed yet and I don't know what to do :(
Does anyone know how can I contact them and find out about my application? I'm so worried...

Don't worry, mine was the same (although signed for by a different person).

Hello everyone,

Just checked the Fedex tracking....They attempted to deliver at 10:15am but failed ("Delivery exception")....Then they tried again at 11:15am and they delivered it....The only problem that I see with this, is that it says :

"Delivered to :
Receptionist/Front Desk "

and

"Signed for by:
J.CHYBA "

Is this normal? I though it was supposed to be a Lockbox, not a Reception or Font Desk....And who is J.CHYBA? Does anyone know what is going on?
Orlandovillas, you sent it with FEDEX as well, what did it say for your package?
A bit worried.....Thanks for your help.

Cheers
Nebo

My checks were not cashed yet and I don't know what to do :(
Does anyone know how can I contact them and find out about my application? I'm so worried...

Ruxy - did you send it by courier (i.e. UP ro fedex)? I'd wait another week, I know it is worrying, but government was on a break for a few days, our checks took 2-3 weeks to cash, and that will be about you minus the holidays. :)

stressedstudent,
the package was delivered on December 8, so 25 days ago, minus say a week for holidays...if there's something wrong with my forms, will they let me know? I wish I can just call them and talk about it with someone that knows what's going on...

Ruxy, mine was delivered at Dec 3 according to Fedex.
And it was J.CHYBA who received it :)

Still checks are not cashed, I call them every other day last couple of weeks, nothing.
Maybe they don't like application from Denver who knows ;)

Ruxy, mine was delivered at Dec 3 according to Fedex.
And it was J.CHYBA who received it :)

Still checks are not cashed, I call them every other day last couple of weeks, nothing.
Maybe they don't like application from Denver who knows ;)

MikeM,
Can you please give me the number that you're calling them at? Thanks!

1-800-375-5283
Press 1-2-2-6-2-2-1 to be transfered to officer.
But on the first level they do not provide any useful info except wait 30 or 90 days, it depends from officer :)
Some of them aggreed to escalate you call to the next level when based on your Name and DOB officer check have you name been entered in the system.

On the top of that I sent an email to CISOmbudsman.Publicaffairs@dhs.gov regarding delays of my case, here the response:

"Dear Mr. xxx,
Thank you for your email and advising our office about the difficulties you are having with USCIS regarding your adjustment of status case. This appears to be an issue related to the Receipting Delays. If you have a specific case problem that you would like our office to research, please visit our website for information on how to submit a case problem using DHS Form 7001. www.dhs.gov/cisombudsman/. For privacy reasons, we cannot review your case without your written consent.
It may be helpful for you to visit our website; we have posted issues discussed during our “USCIS Receipting Delay” teleconference on our website at www.dhs.gov/cisombudsman. We also recommend that you continue to visit USCIS’ weekly “Receipting Delays” update page and FAQs for more information regarding USCIS delays and what to do if you have not yet received your receipt notice: www.uscis.gov
Please note that CIS Ombudsman is independent from USCIS and cannot adjudicate immigration applications or serve as a substitute for the legal options offered by USCIS to correct a problem.
Thank you again for your time and input.
Office of CIS Ombudsman"

So they can't help until official form will be received. Probably it's to earlier to send 7001 form, I'll wait for another month.

MikeM,
Thanks a lot! I called but I got the same answer...wait 30 to 90 days:mad:
I need to agree with you and say they don't like applications from Colorado very much. Please let me know if there is any change in your case.

Hi ruxy,

I am in the same boat. My application reached over there on 12th Dec.
After that no news/ checks not cashed. I am also thinking as I have a muslim name and probably they threw my application. Anyway I called them and same answer. I told her that it is a DV case/ kind of sunset program which will expire Sep 30, 2008. She mentioned she cannot do anything before 90 days. Feeling really really bad and down.

Thanks,
Roma

Hello,
Ok, so there are others who had Mr. CHYBA receiving the package....

And now these delays in cashing checks.... Cannot worry any more, that's it.

I looked at those FBI links for name checks.... I am 100% positive there hasn't been a single person with my last name in the US in last 100 years, except me and my sister, and she never did anything wrong....So it seems it should be OK.

But my name could be confused with common and possibly dangerous names , which are unrelated, if some letters are omitted or added....So who knows. All I know is that people who process these packages, at least initially , possibly know squat about who is of which religion, just by looking at someone's name....I think if you are not from english-speaking country, it is all the same to them....

Hoping for best.

Cheers
Nebo

If it makes you feel better, my husband is anglo, from an anglo country and he is held up int he name check as well - its a computerized linking system, luck of the draw.

I see that December is the worst month for adjustment of status. Things go slowly. Probably, it is due to holidays. Hope that on January things will go faster.

Any new December-January fillers who have / haven't got receipts? According to weekly "USCIS Application and Receipting Update" there is no delays for I-485 in Chicago Lockbox, but today is 38 days since I send my docs and still nothing. USCIS Customer Service suggests to wait 90 days :-(

Last edited by a moderator: