• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV2008--AOS only

We had our interview today

9:00am sharp we submitted our forms in 2nd floor, room 200 San Jose, CA office.
9:05 we were called in for the interview.
Everything was straight to the point. We sat in the front, the kids in the back (and then on the floor, and then on us, and back to the chairs....)
We swore to tell the truth and the interview started.
The officer was VERY thorough. He started with the DV winner - looked through every page, confirmed dates and wanted originals of almost everything we submitted. Then he moved to the spouse.
When he got to the children applications things started to go wary. We never got appointment for Biometrics for the kids (did not know we had to). The officer said that this is their mistake and immediately printed out appointment letters. He said that children under 14 are required to give a picture and index finger (if possible) - which will be used for the Card it self. He can approve the application - juveniles do not need to pass any FBI screening prior to approval.
Officer continue to review documents, and at the last moment he asks for I-134. WOW, where did that come from? I consulted a lawyer, forums, etc and was under the impression we do not need one since we are bringing enough support for our financial abilities.
The officer showed me that in the appointment letter it says that we need I-134 for minors (or adults that do not work). I told him that I thought we did not need one, obviously we can support the kids, the lawyer said, bla bla bla.
He said he believes us, but he needs the forms never the less.
I asked him if he can give us the form and we fill it in his office - surprisingly enough he agreed. what a relief !!!
So, I filled the form (one for each child, did not give any additional papers since the officer knew our case, and signed it in front of the officer).
I was sure we get our passport signed - but NO...
We were told that there is still some work to do - Officer wants to review everything again, apply for Visa number from State Department, and only then he can approve the case. He believes it will be today, but ...
We left the appointment, one hour later, half happy half concerned.

8:00pm - I got and email from CRIS (Case Status Information for Receipt Number @(#$) - informing me that my I-485 was approved today and that a congratulation letter was mailed today. YEY.
Only - I got only 2 such emails... (for spouse and me). What about the kids?

I logged to the system, tried to track kids application (was not able to track it until today, but today I was finally successful). System says:"Current Status: Interview completed, but case under review"
What the heck is that??? So we wait ... Do biometrics for the kids next week and wait wait wait

All in all, process was FAST, about 6 weeks from the time I submitted application to approval (well, for some of us...).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,
Getting ready to send the AOS package. My number will be current in January, and I want it to be in Chicago on 2nd the latest, since I think they are probably closed on 1st.
I will use USPS, but what do you think: is it better to send it on 31st (if post office is open) and do Express, or send it on 28th-29th and do the Priority? It is a bit confusing because of the holidays and both USPS and USCIS are government institutions....
Thanks!
Cheers
Nebo

Personally I'd send it by courier on 30th or 31st if open then you can more easily track its arrival (dont forget it's a different address depending on whether you send it usps or by courier).

I-485 package reaches before the CN is current

If the CN is current in February and someone sends the I-485 Package in the last week of January so that it reaches there before February 1st, any problem for that? Any idea?

I think if it arrives a couple of days early that's not a problem, but I've heard of others who had their application returned if more than a week or so early.

If the CN is current in February and someone sends the I-485 Package in the last week of January so that it reaches there before February 1st, any problem for that? Any idea?

Hi everyone, On the top of my interview letter is says "REQUEST FOR APPLICANT TO APPEAR FOR INITIAL INTERVIEW". I was wondering how many interviews are there for i was thinking it is just one. If any of you that have been interview has thesame thing on your letter, please let me know. Thanks

Hi everyone, On the top of my interview letter is says "REQUEST FOR APPLICANT TO APPEAR FOR INITIAL INTERVIEW". I was wondering how many interviews are there for i was thinking it is just one. If any of you that have been interview has thesame thing on your letter, please let me know. Thanks

Thats a generic letter. Everyone gets that. Most people end uf going for another interview if they are to return with some necessary documents they didn't have during the first interview.

Interview in January

Case#2008AF18xxx
09/20/2007 Medicals Done
09/21/2007 DV fees mailed to DOS
09/30/2007 Receipt from DOS
10/01/2007 Mailed I-485 to Chicago Lockbox
10/02/2007 Mailed Delivered
10/10/2007 I-485 check cashed
10/12/2007 First NOA (dated 10/10/2007)
10/16/2007 Second NOA (dated 10/14/2007)for Biometrics/Finger prints on 11/06/2007
10/06/2007 Fingerprint Captured.
12/21/2007 NOA (12/19/2007) for Interview on 01/17/2008
:cool::cool:****INTERVIEW JANUARY 17, 2008****
:cool::cool:

Hello all,
I am getting ready to send my AOS package on Monday, my number is current in Jan. I went to local USCIS office, made an InfoPass this morning, just to ask them if the certificate of the translator on the e.g. birth certificate is valid, translation of which was done back home, since I read in I485 instructions that it should be in certain suggested format.... Very unpleasant experience there, I hope it will get better once the real interview time comes.... The guy on the window cut me off million times, I just got to say "Good morning sir", nothing else....He said he has never heard of DV Lottery or anything of that sort and that as a F1 student I have no right to apply for PR and that I should leave the country once I graduate, and finally that he does not want to waste time on me, and that I should leave.
I guess I should just believe that the translator certificate is OK, send the package in and hope for the best.
Cheers
Nebo

I am on H1B and CN AS61XX, going to send AOS package at the end of January. I have a confusion on the Affidavit of Support, which form I should send? 134 or 864? Should I send different form for me or wife (H4)?

Rgds.

Paul

Nebo - that is awful. I had a similarly unhelpful person, but not as bad as that! Where is your local office?

Paul - for DV you use the 134

My wife's and children's Green Cards arrived in the mail today. I'm still waiting for my background check to clear (it's been 3 weeks today since my biometrics). I know the BG check can take almost any amount of time, but is 3 weeks anything to worry about (i.e. does this probably mean its more likely to be months?).

Document Returned as Undeliverable

Hey orlando. Looks like my green card "adventure" isn't quite over either. Got an email from CRIS saying that my document was returned as undeliverable. Since I already got the welcome notice, I can only assume that this document is the green card.

Called NBC at 18003755283 and nobody can tell me what happened. They can't even tell me which address the letter was sent to. I'm going to call again on Monday to see if they can re-send it. I read somewhere that you need to have your name on the mailbox for them to deliver it. So I'm going to paste my name on the mailbox and see if that works.

Orlando - my husband (the DV winner) is in the same situation. We took an infopass and my name had cleared but not his. I wonder what the process is and if it is slow now will it take months? He has one of the most common anglo names on earth (literally) so I wonder if that has anything to do with it? He also has high level security clearance from another country so perhaps that?? Agghh, I hate this waiting!

From what I see, the name check seems to either come back almost immediately (as my wife's did after only 2 days) or take considerably longer.

I'm sure it wont come to this, but I wonder what happens as my wife (the winner) and kids all have their physical green cards, *IF* my background check takes until after 30th September. Would that mean I loose my chance of CG? Or is it only the primary winner that has to have their GC issued by then? Hopefully this is only idle speculation :eek:

Orlando - my husband (the DV winner) is in the same situation. We took an infopass and my name had cleared but not his. I wonder what the process is and if it is slow now will it take months? He has one of the most common anglo names on earth (literally) so I wonder if that has anything to do with it? He also has high level security clearance from another country so perhaps that?? Agghh, I hate this waiting!

orlandovillas,

Yes, you would lose your GC chance if it were not complete by then. The principal applicant's name check must be cleared for others to be approved but the principal applicant is not anyway affected by the dependents name check process. This is why your wife (with along her other dependents) could have her GC.

Similarly, stressedstudent has to wait until her husband to be cleared since he is the principal applicant. But there is very very little to worry since FBI has expedited name check process and I'm sure all of yours will be cleared in a few months; I understand waiting is torture, though.

My wife and I had done biometrics for our EB case in mid November, and now USCIS sent another letter for biometrics for DV case in mid January, and our interview is first week of February. We went to USCIS local office to understand the situation, and they told us since there is a new A number generated for DV case, they have to done biometrics since biometrics is tied to A number and cannot be associated to another A number. However, they told us FBI does not care A numbers, therefore, FBI would not start another name check or finger print process, but it would return it as cleared right away.

They also told us our name checks have been completed and both cleared. I was pleasantly surprised because I had expected to wait for a longer time for name check clearance since I went through name check one and half years ago while changing my visa, and it took about 4 months back then. This time it only took one month to be cleared. I hope yours will be cleared shortly too. Good luck, and happy new year.

Orlando and advwinner - I found these links re namechecks from an old thread on this forum that explains the name check procedure - most cases clear within 2-4 days because nothing comes up in an electronic matching, but when a match comes up, then a "manual check" is done, and another chunk of names are cleared in that (around 60 days), that leaves a small amount of names that need further investigation. I suppose my husband's very common name is going to mean he is in that last batch which really sucks :-(

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/nationalnamecheck.htm

http://www.fbi.gov/page2/nationalnamecheck.htm