• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV2008--AOS only

Is there a phone number I could call to find out about my background/name check status?
Thank you,

I have some information about your question. You can review the following link.
http://immigrationroad.com/green-card/contact-uscis-fbi.php
Normally, there is no phone number to ask for name check status. But, once I got my name check status by calling USCIS customer service. It was difficult to convince the customer service people to transfer the line to an immigration officer. The first line customer service don’t know more than you see on USCIS web site. But, if you can pass them and talk to an officer then you will find out about your name check. I do not know that it works every time but you should not say that you want to talk to an officer when you talk to them because they normally resist and say that they do not see a reason to do that. Instead, tell them that you have an I-485 case pending based on DV (the majority of the customer service people don’t know what DV is!!). Then do not waste your time and explain what is DV and continue using the abbreviation “DV”. Just, tell them that DV cases are one of “sunset provisional program” and based on the memo on USCIS web site you are one of the criteria to ask for FBI expeditious process. They normally put you on hold and ask their supervisor about it. And if you are lucky they transfer the line to an officer who has access to more detailed information of your case (my assumption is like the same information on their system that local office receptionists use when you go for infopass). The problem is you do not know that they transfer you to an officer or customer service supervisor. But, still you continue to say the same thing that I told you above. Try to give them a reasonable excuse if they ask you to schedule an infopass and ask your local office but be careful they have your information. In my case I told them that it is very difficult for me since my local office is 6 hours driving two way which was true. In this way they have to find one of their officers finally. It took me 1.5 hours on the phone till I got my status. Remember, repeat the same thing that I told you with every one you talk to. Because even the officer that I talked to did not know about the memo. Print the following memo because they will ask you what is the date and title of the memo. Here is the link of the memo.
http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/ExpediteNameChk022007.pdf
Finally, they will tell you that they can not expedite your case and FBI name check but they will send your request to your local office. At this time you may ask them about your name check status. I did the same and they told me my FBI NC still pending. Few days later I received a letter from my local office that they reviewed my request and they can not expedite my case and FBI NC because my number will be current in August.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have some information about your question. You can review the following link.
http://immigrationroad.com/green-card/contact-uscis-fbi.php
Normally, there is no phone number to ask for name check status. But, once I got my name check status by calling USCIS customer service. It was difficult to convince the customer service people to transfer the line to an immigration officer. The first line customer service don’t know more than you see on USCIS web site. But, if you can pass them and talk to an officer then you will find out about your name check. I do not know that it works every time but you should not say that you want to talk to an officer when you talk to them because they normally resist and say that they do not see a reason to do that. Instead, tell them that you have an I-485 case pending based on DV (the majority of the customer service people don’t know what DV is!!). Then do not waste your time and explain what is DV and continue using the abbreviation “DV”. Just, tell them that DV cases are one of “sunset provisional program” and based on the memo on USCIS web site you are one of the criteria to ask for FBI expeditious process. They normally put you on hold and ask their supervisor about it. And if you are lucky they transfer the line to an officer who has access to more detailed information of your case (my assumption is like the same information on their system that local office receptionists use when you go for infopass). The problem is you do not know that they transfer you to an officer or customer service supervisor. But, still you continue to say the same thing that I told you above. Try to give them a reasonable excuse if they ask you to schedule an infopass and ask your local office but be careful they have your information. In my case I told them that it is very difficult for me since my local office is 6 hours driving two way which was true. In this way they have to find one of their officers finally. It took me 1.5 hours on the phone till I got my status. Remember, repeat the same thing that I told you with every one you talk to. Because even the officer that I talked to did not know about the memo. Print the following memo because they will ask you what is the date and title of the memo. Here is the link of the memo.
http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/ExpediteNameChk022007.pdf
Finally, they will tell you that they can not expedite your case and FBI name check but they will send your request to your local office. At this time you may ask them about your name check status. I did the same and they told me my FBI NC still pending. Few days later I received a letter from my local office that they reviewed my request and they can not expedite my case and FBI NC because my number will be current in August.

Good luck.

Ok, here is how it went--it took about 30 minutes. Everything you said happened, the holding, the checking, asking about the memo...
I finally spoke with the supervisor who kept asking me to schedule an infopass to get more information. I asked if I would be able to speak to someone to find out about my namecheck only and she said there is no way. She was very nice, but kept saying "I wish I had that information I would give it to you but the only way for you to find out is to schedule an infopass." She also said, "if you can find the FBI's number, go ahead and call them but I don't have that information for you."
Thanks again for the information. I've scheduled an infopass for Friday, we'll see how it goes...:confused:

Ok, here is how it went--it took about 30 minutes. Everything you said happened, the holding, the checking, asking about the memo...
I finally spoke with the supervisor who kept asking me to schedule an infopass to get more information. I asked if I would be able to speak to someone to find out about my namecheck only and she said there is no way. She was very nice, but kept saying "I wish I had that information I would give it to you but the only way for you to find out is to schedule an infopass." She also said, "if you can find the FBI's number, go ahead and call them but I don't have that information for you."
Thanks again for the information. I've scheduled an infopass for Friday, we'll see how it goes...:confused:

I forgot to mention one thing about my call, the customer service rep mentioned that my case does not show that it needs to be expedited because of anything. To her, it looked like any other case that will take 6 to 12 months... Should this worry me?

oh my God, thank you so much for the information! I will try this right now.
wish me luck

Hi maconcita,
what number did u call and hw did u get to speak to the customer rep.? I tried to but the automated message tells me to call between the hours of 8 am and 6pm and it's already 8am.

Hi maconcita,
what number did u call and hw did u get to speak to the customer rep.? I tried to but the automated message tells me to call between the hours of 8 am and 6pm and it's already 8am.

I followed instructions from the link provided by badluck2 (Thank you :D) http://immigrationroad.com/green-card/contact-uscis-fbi.php

3. Call a Service Center (TSC or NSC) Directly
An alternative to visiting a local USCIS office is to call the service center directly. By calling the national customer service line (800-375-5283), you will hear a long list of options. Choosing the right ones that fit your situation will lead you to the service center that is processing your case.

For example, if your case is at TSC and is outside the processing window, you should dial:

1-800-375-5283 - 1 - 2 - 2 - 6 - 1 - (receipt # SRCxxxxxxxxxx) - 1 - 1 - 3 - 3 (or 4)

Even if you reach TSC or NSC, your call may be automatically transferred back to general customer service. But if someone picks up the phone, you should explain your situation briefly and ask about your case status. As with the IO's at local offices, they do know a lot of details about your case. Just a friendly reminder: no matter how frustrated you are with the processing delay, please be polite and professional during the conversation. If an officer is unwilling to help, you can always call back at a later time.

I followed instructions from the link provided by badluck2 (Thank you :D) http://immigrationroad.com/green-card/contact-uscis-fbi.php

3. Call a Service Center (TSC or NSC) Directly
An alternative to visiting a local USCIS office is to call the service center directly. By calling the national customer service line (800-375-5283), you will hear a long list of options. Choosing the right ones that fit your situation will lead you to the service center that is processing your case.

For example, if your case is at TSC and is outside the processing window, you should dial:

1-800-375-5283 - 1 - 2 - 2 - 6 - 1 - (receipt # SRCxxxxxxxxxx) - 1 - 1 - 3 - 3 (or 4)

Even if you reach TSC or NSC, your call may be automatically transferred back to general customer service. But if someone picks up the phone, you should explain your situation briefly and ask about your case status. As with the IO's at local offices, they do know a lot of details about your case. Just a friendly reminder: no matter how frustrated you are with the processing delay, please be polite and professional during the conversation. If an officer is unwilling to help, you can always call back at a later time.

I have been trying that but it tells me to call between the hrs of 8am to 6pm if i want to speak to customer rep. Anyway, thank you.

Email to cisombudsman

It is already 10 EST. I tried it as well this morning but it is not working.
I have sent an email yesterday to cisombudsman to inquire about my name check (I'm trying it all :D) and here is what I got from them:
"Background checks are not usually made available to the public, however, you may try the USCIS customer service hotline-1-800375-5283.

Citizenship & Immigration Services Ombudsman

Mail Stop 1225

Washington, DC 20528-1225"

that 800# is mentioned everywhere but seems to be worthless. I sent them another email thanking them for their reply and asking if there is anyone else that could help me since that number doesn't seem to help at all. We'll see if that leads anywhere.
I'll try to call yet again, but I'm sure I won't have any news! My infopass is Friday, hopefully I'll learn a little more then...
Good luck:)

I called the number again, got through to a rep who said the same thing: "you will need to schedule an infopass, I can't help you ma'am. I can't transfer you to anyone, you'll need to schedule the infopass to speak to an officer who might be able to help you, Thank you for calling..."

It is already 10 EST. I tried it as well this morning but it is not working.
I have sent an email yesterday to cisombudsman to inquire about my name check (I'm trying it all :D) and here is what I got from them:
"Background checks are not usually made available to the public, however, you may try the USCIS customer service hotline-1-800375-5283.

Citizenship & Immigration Services Ombudsman

Mail Stop 1225

Washington, DC 20528-1225"

that 800# is mentioned everywhere but seems to be worthless. I sent them another email thanking them for their reply and asking if there is anyone else that could help me since that number doesn't seem to help at all. We'll see if that leads anywhere.
I'll try to call yet again, but I'm sure I won't have any news! My infopass is Friday, hopefully I'll learn a little more then...
Good luck:)

I've scheduled an infopass for today. I'll keep you informed.

They did not let you pass customer service. As I told you customer service has the same information as their WEB site. So, she was right. She did not have information about your name check. Customer service also asked me that I have to make an infopass but I said time is very crucial for me and I have 6 hours two ways driving to my local office and I have difficulty to do that at the moment. Then they put me on hold for about 30 minutes more and the representative was coming back to me apologizing for delay. Finally said they are going to transfer me to “other department” and asked me to tell them that I called customer service and they transferred me there and, the rest of story that I told you. So, it is really difficult to pass the customer service barrier.
Logically, they should have less immigration officers compare to customer service representative. But, immigration officers have detailed information. Even I asked that USCIS WEB site shows my case is still in National Benefit Center and she told me NO. My case transferred to local office mentioning the exact date.
Maybe I was lucky to reach that far and talk to an immigration officer. But, I prefer to go for infopass now because I do not want a headache after too much negotiation with customer service.
I have this link about CIS Ombudsman - Case Problems. There is a procedure to officially report case problem but I do not know how long they take to answer.
http://www.dhs.gov/ximgtn/programs/editorial_0497.shtm

Good luck

They did not let you pass customer service. As I told you customer service has the same information as their WEB site. So, she was right. She did not have information about your name check. Customer service also asked me that I have to make an infopass but I said time is very crucial for me and I have 6 hours two ways driving to my local office and I have difficulty to do that at the moment. Then they put me on hold for about 30 minutes more and the representative was coming back to me apologizing for delay. Finally said they are going to transfer me to “other department” and asked me to tell them that I called customer service and they transferred me there and, the rest of story that I told you. So, it is really difficult to pass the customer service barrier.
Logically, they should have less immigration officers compare to customer service representative. But, immigration officers have detailed information. Even I asked that USCIS WEB site shows my case is still in National Benefit Center and she told me NO. My case transferred to local office mentioning the exact date.
Maybe I was lucky to reach that far and talk to an immigration officer. But, I prefer to go for infopass now because I do not want a headache after too much negotiation with customer service.
I have this link about CIS Ombudsman - Case Problems. There is a procedure to officially report case problem but I do not know how long they take to answer.
http://www.dhs.gov/ximgtn/programs/editorial_0497.shtm

Good luck

I followed all of your instructions, I told them that time was crucial and that I was going to be out of the city next week which is the only time I could schedule the infopass based on their availability, nothing! You were indeed lucky to go through, I guess it matters who you talk to!
I hope I'll get more information on Friday!

Guys,
I am sorry if I am making you worried by this post. But, you consider it as an alert and don’t stop your highest effort to succeed for your DV case. If you don’t do it, nobody will do. Don’t think that USCIS people or FBI care much about our due date (end of September, etc.)

Honestly, I am worried to the death after I found two persons that they lost their DV cases last year because of pending FBI name check. I attached their link here.
http://boards.immigration.com/showthread.php?p=1821017#post1821017
http://boards.immigration.com/showthread.php?p=1792171#post1792171

However, my local office receptionist told me last time during infopass that FBI knows how to deal with DV cases and they are aware of the due date. And, he never saw any DV case that did not meet the due date for adjudication because of security check.

So, keep working on your case and pray for good luck.

I followed all of your instructions, I told them that time was crucial and that I was going to be out of the city next week which is the only time I could schedule the infopass based on their availability, nothing! You were indeed lucky to go through, I guess it matters who you talk to!
I hope I'll get more information on Friday!

ok, I went through posts and found out that I needed to call KCC to find out if my file was sent to the local USCIS office. If so, that means that the background check was completed (is that true?) I called KCC who told me that my file was requested yesterday and transfered to the local office on July 28th? what does that mean? Should I assume that my case is moving and that name check is no longer pending?
below is the post I got the number and information from...

Hello. I'm assuming that you are doing AOS, in which case: You can call to see if your fingerprint results have been returned to your local office yet. You can also make an INFOPASS appointment at your local USCIS office to see if your name check has cleared yet. The Missouri Service Center is the place that handles these cases, so it's good that your case is there.

The contact info for the fingerprint is below, excerpted from my AOS experience description:
(the entire post can be found at
http://www.immigrationportal.com/sho...d.php?t=223312)
7. Wait at least several business days after your fingerprints were taken to call the FBI, to ask if the results were returned to your local USCIS office. The FBI will tell you when the results were returned to the office but NOT the actual results of the fingerprint check. They’ll ask for your name, maybe your Alien Registration number (should be on your I-485 NOA). I called 304-625-5590, but there may be other ways to contact them.
8. Call the Kentucky Consular Center to see if your DV package has been sent to your local office. They’ll ask for your lottery number, name, etc. I’ve had the best results (short wait time) calling 7:30 am ET. I called 606-526-7500, but there may be other ways to contact them.

Good luck to all.

Guys,
I am sorry if I am making you worried by this post. But, you consider it as an alert and don’t stop your highest effort to succeed for your DV case. If you don’t do it, nobody will do. Don’t think that USCIS people or FBI care much about our due date (end of September, etc.)

Honestly, I am worried to the death after I found two persons that they lost their DV cases last year because of pending FBI name check. I attached their link here.
http://boards.immigration.com/showthread.php?p=1821017#post1821017
http://boards.immigration.com/showthread.php?p=1792171#post1792171

However, my local office receptionist told me last time during infopass that FBI knows how to deal with DV cases and they are aware of the due date. And, he never saw any DV case that did not meet the due date for adjudication because of security check.

So, keep working on your case and pray for good luck.

I saw that post yesterday and worried as well but didn't want to put it in my head since we still have some time! I'm from an Arab country as well. It's only been a week since my FP were done. I'm waiting until next week to follow up with senators, congressmen... Until then I'm calling, going to Infopass... to find out more. This portal has been tremendously helpful and I thank you all for your responses...
Let's pray we'll get it this year. As you mentioned, they don't care, you need to keep following up with them, but name check does take a long time, but knowing people and contacting them does help at times. What gives me comfort is the fact that AF numbers are so high that it means that they do not have many applicants so they have visa numbers (at least for AF). I might be wrong but that helps me sleep at night :eek: