• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV2008--AOS only

Hi everyone,
I was wondering if anybody who's done his/her biometrics process could answer my questions.....
1) after biometrics appointment, do we recieve a letter for interview?

You will receive the interview letter after the biometrics, but you can not predict when. In my case I have received it after 6 weeks.

2) I see in this forums some people put AP in thier signitures, what does AP stand for?

AP is advance parole (spelling may be wrong) You use this document to travel outside when your case is pending. You need to apply this with your I485 application.

3) what does EAD stand for?

It is the employment authorization document. You use this document to work in US when your case is pending. You need to apply this with your I485 application. The name of the form is I765

4) after interview how long the name check takes?

It really changes person to person. In my case it was less than two months, but I can say that I am alittle lucky.

thanks very much.

GOOD LUCK, and be patient !!

I had my interview, and the officer approved my case. I just want to give some details about my interview for the people who hasn't received the interview letter.

It took only 10 minutes, and was very simple. The officer was very helpful. He asked some basic questions from I-485. He only checked my passport and my I-94. He didn't ask any police certificate, any W2 forms, any document from my university. (Although I had all my documents with me for the interview). He told me that he won't stamp my passport, because I will receive my green card in a short time. Also, he didn't take back my EAD card, and he wanted me to destroy the EAD card after receiving the green card. He told me that I will receive my green card by mail in a couple of weeks.

I will have some questions:

1-) What will be the next step of my application. As far as I know I will first receive a welcome notice and then the actual green card, and thats all !!

2-) Currently I am a F1 student and working as a graduate assistant. At the end of this semester (in May 2008) I will terminate my university education and go
to my native country for vacation for 2 months. After that I will come back to US, I will look for a job in industry, and start working. Is there any restriction on these kind of things, or since my case is approved can I do whatever I want (i.e., do I still have to work or study?)? When I enter to US in the future with my green card, do I need to show any work employment or financial document at the port of entry?

3-) Also, do I need to apply any department to inform the change in my status like social security department, driver license department or any other department?

Thanks for all your help!! This forum is really helpful.

congrats

congratulations brothers!
it was nice hearing that it was approved. By the way when did u have your biometics done?

I had my interview, and the officer approved my case. I just want to give some details about my interview for the people who hasn't received the interview letter.

It took only 10 minutes, and was very simple. The officer was very helpful. He asked some basic questions from I-485. He only checked my passport and my I-94. He didn't ask any police certificate, any W2 forms, any document from my university. (Although I had all my documents with me for the interview). He told me that he won't stamp my passport, because I will receive my green card in a short time. Also, he didn't take back my EAD card, and he wanted me to destroy the EAD card after receiving the green card. He told me that I will receive my green card by mail in a couple of weeks.

1-) What will be the next step of my application. As far as I know I will first receive a welcome notice and then the actual green card, and thats all !!

2-) Currently I am a F1 student and working as a graduate assistant. At the end of this semester (in May 2008) I will terminate my university education and go
to my native country for vacation for 2 months. After that I will come back to US, I will look for a job in industry, and start working. Is there any restriction on these kind of things, or since my case is approved can I do whatever I want (i.e., do I still have to work or study?)? When I enter to US in the future with my green card, do I need to show any work employment or financial document at the port of entry?

3-) Also, do I need to apply any department to inform the change in my status like social security department, driver license department or any other department?

On #3, u might want to get ur status changed in school so that u can atleast get instate tuition. U can also contact social security to change ur status if USCIS haven't done that already.

I sent my documents on January 1st, received my NoA at the beginning of February. I had my biometrics at the end of february.

I sent my documents on January 1st, received my NoA at the beginning of February. I had my biometrics at the end of february.

so, u got everything done in about 3 months and a few days which is pretty awesome. I hope mine goes that fast.

Saurav, everything will be OK, don't worry. Just go over the questions that you have answered for I485.
Good luck in the interview.

thanks brothers. looking at the documents that i have, i feel like i am applying through an employer. Such a hastle for a Lottery?:mad:

As I said I had my interview and my case was approved. They will send me the green card in 2-3 weeks. I have some questions. Any answers to them?

1-) What will be the next step of my application. As far as I know I will first receive a welcome notice and then the actual green card, and thats all !! Anything else?

2-) Currently I am a F1 student and working as a graduate assistant. At the end of this semester (in May 2008) I will terminate my university education and my assistantship and go to my native country for vacation for 2 months. After that I will come back to US, I will look for a job in industry, and start working. Is there any restriction on these kind of things, or since my case is approved can I do whatever I want (i.e., do I still have to work or study?)? When I enter to US in the future with my green card, do I need to show any work employment or financial document at the port of entry?

Congratulation brothers.
Regarding your query,

1. Next step will be a welcome letter which you should probably get within a week. And then an approval notice which contains the actual card. Hopefully you will get that within 2-3 weeks.

2. There is nothing that you have to do. You can go home, come back whatever. When you come back from your home, you don't have to show work employment or financial or anything. Your GC and your passport is what you need to enter US.

3. I guess you don't have to notify any department. I assume USCIS notifies Social Security Administrator and they will send you an updated card. But I am not sure about how it works. May be someone else who already had received GC and updated SSN can answer better.

Now just relax.

As I said I had my interview and my case was approved. They will send me the green card in 2-3 weeks. I have some questions. Any answers to them?

1-) What will be the next step of my application. As far as I know I will first receive a welcome notice and then the actual green card, and thats all !! Anything else?

2-) Currently I am a F1 student and working as a graduate assistant. At the end of this semester (in May 2008) I will terminate my university education and my assistantship and go to my native country for vacation for 2 months. After that I will come back to US, I will look for a job in industry, and start working. Is there any restriction on these kind of things, or since my case is approved can I do whatever I want (i.e., do I still have to work or study?)? When I enter to US in the future with my green card, do I need to show any work employment or financial document at the port of entry?

Social Security Number (SSN)

I have a question..
Once your GC is approved, do you have to write to Social Security Administration for the updated card or do they send it by themselves without requiring us to request for the same.

Anyone who had got the GC and SSN, please reply.

Savy17, I will go to the Social Security office in my city, and ask them if I need to do anything.

When did your "online case status" changed? Although I had my interview 2 days ago, it is still saying that my fingerpring fee is accepted and my case is pending. No change occured after my biometrics test.

My online status was changed right after my interview on Mar 24 itself.
Once you go to your social security office, let me know what they said so that if I have to go, I will also visit the social security office.

Savy17, I will go to the Social Security office in my city, and ask them if I need to do anything.

When did your "online case status" changed? Although I had my interview 2 days ago, it is still saying that my fingerpring fee is accepted and my case is pending. No change occured after my biometrics test.

The Waiting is Killing Me for name check..

Is there any update about ur case MikeM?

No update van_7788 :(

I really hope 180 days rule will work in my case, but probably it's time to write a letter to congressmen, senator etc.